Author Topic: Finally, I've made the jump into the Thorn Nomad MKII Club  (Read 21898 times)

macspud

Re: Finally, I've made the jump into the Thorn Nomad MKII Club
« Reply #15 on: December 22, 2013, 08:32:29 am »
Saddle: Brooks B17 Honey with black rails - very early days so unfair to judge, but at this early stage we are not good friends. I'll persevere, but I'm very tempted to go back to my all time favourite that I see is making a come back: http://www.wiggle.co.uk/selle-italia-turbo-1980-saddle/ (from SJS)

I'm afraid that par for the course, having not cycled for a long time pretty much all saddles are uncomfortable until that body gets used to sitting on a saddle again. Going by my own experience, being off a bike for years and have gained a lot of weight in the intervening years, getting used to sitting on a saddle again is somewhat akin to torture but things do get better.

rualexander

« Reply #16 on: December 22, 2013, 08:48:12 am »
Hi Tony

Welcome. Your bike looks great, the same colour as mine by coincidence  :D You'll have agreat time with that bike riding in NZ and anywhere overseas. My road bike and the MTB have been languishing with a rueful expression on their bars since I built up the Nomad.

You will find that the Thorn ring is only in 5-bolt and as the XT is a 4-bolt crank you will have to reassess the options.

Cheers
Pete

Thorn reversible chainrings are available in 4 bolt 104mm bcd  http://www.sjscycles.co.uk/thorn-104mm-bcd-4-arm-reversible-single-chainring-3-32-inch-black-prod11054/

nztony,
The Cabbage trees in Plockton (as can be seen in macspud's photo) will help you feel at home,.

il padrone

« Reply #17 on: December 22, 2013, 10:03:15 am »
They look like Cordyline (cordyline australis) rather than Cabbage Tree Palms (livistonia australis). Cordyline tend to be much more tolerant of cold conditions than the Cabbage Tree, which are very rare here in Victoria, whereas the Cordyline is a common garden plant.

;)
« Last Edit: December 22, 2013, 10:05:18 am by il padrone »

moodymac

« Reply #18 on: December 22, 2013, 01:24:04 pm »

What ever type of tree, that is one drop dead gorgeous place!

Tom

mickeg

« Reply #19 on: December 22, 2013, 02:21:55 pm »
Some people find the B17 too wide.  I prefer the Conquest (discontinued model), it is the same shape as Brooks Pro but with springs.  I am not suggesting you buy a Pro on the gamble it will fit well, but if you know anyone that has one, maybe they would let you try it.

rualexander

« Reply #20 on: December 22, 2013, 03:07:21 pm »
They look like Cordyline (cordyline australis) rather than Cabbage Tree Palms (livistonia australis). Cordyline tend to be much more tolerant of cold conditions than the Cabbage Tree, which are very rare here in Victoria, whereas the Cordyline is a common garden plant.

;)

Cordyline Australis is the Cabbage Tree, at least it is in New Zealand, where they get plenty of exposure to colder conditions in the South Island.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cordyline_australis

Matt2matt2002

« Reply #21 on: December 22, 2013, 05:39:20 pm »
Front Rim: Andra 30 plain 32 (from SJS)
Rear Rim: Andra 30 CSS 32h (from SJS)

Ah ha.
An interesting combination. Something I have thought about.
May I ask your own reasoning?

Look forward to helping out in 2015 for your UK trip around Scotland and St. kilda.

Matt
Never drink and drive. You may hit a bump  and spill your drink

Neil Jones

« Reply #22 on: December 22, 2013, 06:42:37 pm »
Many thanks for the parts list Tony, it's very much appreciated. I'll be interested to know how you get on with the GP5 bar ends. I have the Thorn straight bars with SJS bar ends which are excellent but the GP5 do offer another hand position and is something I've been thinking about. How do you find the Rohloff gear system compared to the more familiar derailleurs?
One thing is for certain I don't believe there is a better expedition bike on the planet, you've made a great choice of frame and components.

nztony

« Reply #23 on: December 22, 2013, 11:37:58 pm »
NZPeterG thanks for that, I am bound to be passing through Taupo at some stage, so will pop into the shop and say hello, and thanks for putting me onto Chris at Puresports NZ.

il padrone - it took me ages to choose Yellow, so I'm glad there were only two choices, otherwise I'd still be trying to choose the colour! Sad news about
the cranks, but then shortly after rualexander gave me some good news, so I am very pleased about that, and re reading the pdf I see all the options for their cranks and Shimano.

macspud, that is a beautiful photo of Plockton. When I processed my Grandmother's 1966 slides, as well as trying to place them it is always interesting to try to work out where she stood when she took them. As for the Brooks, I'll be patient, I know not to expect good things immediately.

rualexander that is excellent news regarding Thorn chainrings. I'll keep what I have at the moment until I get a good feel for what my final gearing will be, then order one.

rualexander I'll hang in there with the Brooks B17 as to be fair, I've only ridden with it four times or 130km but it's nice to know my old favourite the Sella Italia Turbo has been re released.

Matt2matt2002 I went with the Andra 30 plain 32 on the front, Andra 30 CSS 32h on the rear as this is Andy Balance's new recommendation from Page 6 of the Nomad pdf, Issue 30, Winter 2013 -2014 edition. I am fairly sure from memory his old recommendation was CSS rims on front and rear but he had modified his views. Once the CSS brake surface eventually wears through wet weather breaking is impaired, so figures it is best to have a non CSS rim on the front so you will always have good braking from the front rim. But, just in case I have not interpreted that correctly, suggest to refer to the pdf. The one thing I can say about the rims and brakes, is that I instantly love the XT brakes and calipers (dry weather only so far) as I only need two fingers to feather the brakes on and off, even on steep windy descents.

Neil, I'm reluctant to comment on the GP5's at this stage as I've just don't have the miles/hours on the bike to give them a judgement call yet - I very nearly went with my favourite tried and true racing type drop bars (like Danneaux) but I am doing my best to try to forget I was a 'racing' cyclist once and start from a clean sheet with my choices. It is great to have the bike and doing rides, as up until now it has all been theory, but nothing beats riding it for real to work out what I like and don't like about it, and things I'll keep and things I might consider changing, but I don't want to make decisions until I've done a lot more hours in the saddle. As for the Rohloff, again early days, but it works well - a couple of times I've wanted to shift into the big chain ring but then realised I don't have big and small chain rings anymore - I just have to twist my wrist. Yesterday at one stage I also looked under my arm to see what sprocket I was on, on the rear cluster, which of course I don't have anymore!
« Last Edit: December 23, 2013, 12:45:02 am by nztony »

il padrone

« Reply #24 on: December 23, 2013, 02:40:36 am »
Once the CSS brake surface eventually wears through wet weather breaking is impaired, so figures it is best to have a non CSS rim on the front so you will always have good braking from the front rim.

19,000kms so far - no sign of that happening yet ;)

I should thnk that when the CSS surface wears off it should then just be a matter of switching from the hard Swisstop blue pads to some Koolstop salmon for use on the plain alloy surface.

nztony

« Reply #25 on: December 23, 2013, 04:58:35 am »
il padrone, 19 000kms, I'm at 130kms! (Hence the reason I am reluctant to make any comments or pass judgements just yet!)

geocycle

« Reply #26 on: December 23, 2013, 12:18:00 pm »
19,000kms so far - no sign of that happening yet ;)

I should thnk that when the CSS surface wears off it should then just be a matter of switching from the hard Swisstop blue pads to some Koolstop salmon for use on the plain alloy surface.

I'm in the same position with similar mileage on the CSS rims to il padrone. I have not noticed this perceived reduction in braking yet.  They are certainly worse in the wet than dry but very hard to say whether this is worse than other rims in the same conditions.  I've just swapped my front swissstop blues for some softer avid blocks although I can't say I've noticed much difference.

nztony

« Reply #27 on: December 23, 2013, 08:01:05 pm »
geocycle, I imagine it will be quite a few years until I get to 19 000kms, so good to know my rims will last a long time.
I used to ride the quintessential Mavic GP4's in the 1980s and know to dry the rims by light breaking before I need them. (I am thinking it's all going to come back to me fairly quickly - I hoping so anyway.)

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #28 on: December 23, 2013, 10:02:47 pm »
I am thinking it's all going to come back to me fairly quickly...
Aw, you'll do fine, Tony; it's "just like riding a bike".

That phrase seems to be the universal one for regaining familiarity with any past pursuit.

All the best,

Dan. (...who think you'll soon be doing Big Rides on the Yellow Bike and wonders if you've named it yet)

jags

« Reply #29 on: December 23, 2013, 10:08:58 pm »
Say Tony this is a long shot but did you ever come across an Irish track rider named Phil Collins he was on the Irish Olympic squad  one hell of a rider.