Author Topic: Finally, I've made the jump into the Thorn Nomad MKII Club  (Read 21900 times)

nztony

Re: Finally, I've made the jump into the Thorn Nomad MKII Club
« Reply #30 on: December 23, 2013, 11:07:32 pm »
Dan, thanks for the encouragement - raining and blowing a gale here today, and finishing work soon but will revert to one of my hilly walks (don't want the brand new Nomad all wet and grimy just yet.) Not sure if I'll name the bike, but if I did the name Hodori might have front running...

Jags, no problems with long shots, you never know, but unfortunately in this case I'm afraid the name doesn't ring a bell. Back when I rode we didn't really mix too much with the opposition, and especially as I rode the kilometre time trial, I was up on the velodrome by myself so didn't mix and match it with my competitors. Also, when I competed, I used to get so focused warming up for a competition I did not notice anything outside of my immediate area - if I didn't need to know about it, I didn't want to know about it.  Once I was leading an event but was nervous for the next hour or so because I knew another guy with a better PB was due to ride so couldn't relax, but what I hadn't noticed is that he had ridden before me, and I had gone faster than him!

jags

« Reply #31 on: December 24, 2013, 12:12:35 am »
cheers Tony just a long shot.i don't know phil to well i painted his house few years back and he often came out with us for a sunday morning spin.
but yeah he was telling me of his training when he was on the team  serious stuff, Terry Dolan used to make all his bikes he knows him very well, pure genius at making bikes.
anyway all history now great memories i'm sure, but you can relax now and enjoy the new baby.

nztony

« Reply #32 on: January 21, 2014, 12:01:03 am »
***ONE MONTH OWNERSHIP UPDATE***
I've had my Nomad for one month now and I did my first 100km ride yesterday: http://sportypal.com/Workouts/Details/3633056
It was my first 100km ride since the very early 1990s. It was meant to a be a 60km ride, but then when approaching my home suburb I had 68km
on my Cateye so I thought I'd take the long route home and make it up to 80km, then when I got near home again I was up to 82km, so I thought why not,
lets push the boat out, and I ended up at around 102km and the heart/lungs found it easy - I think if I tried another 20km I may have got the odd calf or
hamstring cramp - so I have to remain patient and not overdo it.

My Brooks saddle and I are becoming acquainted now and learning to get along with each other. In fact yesterday's ride was by far my most comfortable yet, as I ditched
my too big, too baggy, mountain bike shorts that I wore over my normal lycra cycling shorts - I promised as a middle aged (heavy set!) male that I would never
wear lycra in public ever again, but it was fantastic - no more ridiculous bunching up of material of my baggy MTB shorts between myself and the saddle, especially when sitting
back in the saddle after climbing out of the saddle - it was a revelation.

I have to stay patient, and not get carried away, but I think I can feel a little bit of my old cycling mojo coming back. I have to admit after my first couple of rides I wasn't thinking that!

Tony

« Last Edit: January 21, 2014, 12:03:39 am by nztony »

jags

« Reply #33 on: January 21, 2014, 12:19:21 am »
Wow bike and pilot looking very well indeed.well done Tony glad the auld mojo is coming back remember its not a race anymore  ;D ;D all that stuff is done and dusted you can smell the roses from now on.

jags.

nztony

« Reply #34 on: January 21, 2014, 12:40:16 am »
Thanks Jags, very kind words. I suspect I'm going to the type that will set a destination for each day, and set myself the target of getting from A to B, rather than meandering and stopping off to smell too many roses. But I'll be doing it at 15 - 18km'h, so I'll see the scenery, towns, villages, etc as I move through - and I love a coca cola stop every 50km, so I won't quite be non stop! (Actually my coca cola stops were 75 and 92kms yesterday, as I was needing a little sugar high.) I have distance targets I want to achieve, but 100km for now was pleasing at this early stage. I am trying my best to forget I was a keen racing cyclist once, but I guess old habits never die! (I didn't really think they would!)
Tony

John Saxby

« Reply #35 on: January 21, 2014, 12:43:14 am »
Well done, Tony!  Expect you'll find now that 100 km is no big thing at all, esp with a comfy saddle and no chafing where chafing's not wanted.

Super foto, love the greenery & the sea.

Keep on truckin', eh.

J.

jags

« Reply #36 on: January 21, 2014, 12:44:27 am »
Fair play Tony as you say old habits ;D ;D
well i'm away to me bed have to paint a room in the morning i need the dosh. ;D

JimK

• Interdependent Science
« Reply #37 on: January 21, 2014, 12:46:48 am »
Looking fantastic, Tony!

il padrone

« Reply #38 on: January 21, 2014, 01:13:47 am »
Great to hear you're building back the legs after a big gap from cycling. I still count myself as lucky that, despite family, job, injuries etc, I have just kept on riding most times, even if just for a weekly day-tour or short commute. You will come better still I reckon and 15-18kmh speeds will look to be a dawdle.

Great photo, some good hills you have there ('tis 'uNZud' of course).
« Last Edit: January 21, 2014, 04:30:53 am by il padrone »

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #39 on: January 21, 2014, 01:17:51 am »
Hi Tony!

What a wonderful photo and ride report.

No worries...it'll all come back in time and with use. You've a wealth of muscle-memory to build upon, even after so many years away from the saddle. Every faith in you and your abilities.

As for the shorts...wear what works and hang the comments -- if anyone dares to make them. You're the fellow out there "doing" while others might be "commenting" and your comfort and functionality are what count. They look fine in the photo, so no worries.

Terrific bike, fantastic scenery, healthy-looking rider. What more could one ask for? I know! Tailwinds. May they all go your way, Tony.

Best,

Dan.

Matt2matt2002

« Reply #40 on: January 21, 2014, 09:09:39 am »
Great bike and great view.
May I wish you all the best for future rides and ask where there picture was taken?
Great location.
Matt
Never drink and drive. You may hit a bump  and spill your drink

mickeg

« Reply #41 on: January 21, 2014, 09:24:14 am »
I also have the Tonka Yellow frame and yellow Ortlieb panniers.  Bummer that they do not match in color.

rualexander

« Reply #42 on: January 21, 2014, 03:08:24 pm »
Great bike and great view.
May I wish you all the best for future rides and ask where there picture was taken?

My guess is just south of Paekakariki, near Paraparaumu, overlooking Kapiti Island, NZ?
« Last Edit: January 21, 2014, 03:09:59 pm by rualexander »

Swislon

« Reply #43 on: January 21, 2014, 03:21:36 pm »
Great photo Tony, great looking bike and wonderful backdrop.
I'm looking forward to more photos and stories of your adventures.
Its great to see different parts of the world that our Forum friends ride.

All the best
Steve

in4

« Reply #44 on: January 21, 2014, 03:54:52 pm »
Hmmm, I'm thinking Mt. Manganui! Regardless, that is so the place to do a selfie with one's Nomad! If I can get a day free I'm off down the M5!