Author Topic: Finally, I've made the jump into the Thorn Nomad MKII Club  (Read 21899 times)

nztony

Re: Finally, I've made the jump into the Thorn Nomad MKII Club
« Reply #75 on: May 16, 2014, 04:44:26 pm »
Anto
They don't show the Giro on tele here in NZ, but I make up for it by watching virtually every single minute of the Tour de France on tv each July.

288 was my frame number for the Seoul Olympics, but as I rode on the velodrome I didn't get to use it, and instead affixed my number to my back. After sitting dormant with other memorabilia for many years, I fished it out and cable tied it to my bike a couple of months ago. I do wonder that it may be a bit OTT, but out on the road, very few people seem to notice it and those that do tell me I mustn't remove it, although I might do at some stage.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/nztony/3828488987

Tony
« Last Edit: May 16, 2014, 04:50:58 pm by nztony »

jags

« Reply #76 on: May 16, 2014, 04:48:14 pm »
No way Tony leave it where it is i bet when you meet someone and they ask the same question there mouths will drop when you tell them that story ,fair play buddy tis a super memory to have.

anto.

nztony

« Reply #77 on: May 16, 2014, 05:03:19 pm »
Anto
It's funny, people my age and above (50+) think it's a interesting story, and understand the achievement, the 20 somethings on their wonderful looking carbon bikes don't seem too interested. But to be fair to them, back in 1988, if someone had told me about the 1960 Rome Olympics I'd have thought it such ancient history, I may not have been that interested either, as I would have been too interested in trying out for my own Olympic Games, rather than listening to 50 year olds prattling on about "the good old days" when they cycled! And before I knew it, I'm now that 52 year old prattling on about "the good old days!" Time goes too fast, I want to be 25 again!
Tony

Andre Jute

« Reply #78 on: May 16, 2014, 05:32:16 pm »
That's a great story, Tony. You should leave that number. You earned it.

jags

« Reply #79 on: May 16, 2014, 05:33:52 pm »
Hah don't knock it Tony, at least you have something to pratt on about in spades ;D ;D
i'll be 61 in june i still feel young especally when the cycling is good, hills slow me down but what the hell i still manage to get over them eventually :D
the young carbon dudes know sweet feck all.

Anto.

nztony

« Reply #80 on: May 16, 2014, 07:38:14 pm »
Thanks Andre, it did take a bit of effort (but it was most definitely worth it.)
Anto, I wasn't knocking the 20 somethings, I genuinely meant their modern carbon bikes do look very very nice. If I was a mere 80kg I'd probably buy one myself.

jags

« Reply #81 on: May 16, 2014, 08:47:27 pm »
don't worry Tony i know you weren't knocking the young carbon brigade,
i#ll knock them for ya  ;)

nztony

SJS Cycles opening a branch in New Zealand?
« Reply #82 on: June 13, 2014, 04:07:57 am »
On my ride today I saw this sign and wondered if SJS Cycles may be about to open a branch down under, here in New Zealand?

in4

« Reply #83 on: June 13, 2014, 08:40:49 am »
Quick! Grab the franchise before our Oregon Sage gets dibs on it! Working with Thorns in NZ, such a tough prospect!  ;)

leftpoole

Re: SJS Cycles opening a branch in New Zealand?
« Reply #84 on: June 13, 2014, 10:32:26 am »
On my ride today I saw this sign and wondered if SJS Cycles may be about to open a branch down under, here in New Zealand?

Best check the spelling!

nztony

« Reply #85 on: June 13, 2014, 10:50:00 am »
I am aware of that leftpoole, it is a little tongue in cheek.

leftpoole

« Reply #86 on: June 13, 2014, 12:38:27 pm »
I am aware of that leftpoole, it is a little tongue in cheek.

I was aware! ;D

nztony

« Reply #87 on: June 14, 2014, 08:05:59 am »
Leftpoole,

It's not perfect, but nothing an early morning bike ride and a spray can can't fix*

* I didn't really attack the sign with a spray can!

Tony