Author Topic: Finally, I've made the jump into the Thorn Nomad MKII Club  (Read 21897 times)

nztony

Finally, I've made the jump into the Thorn Nomad MKII Club
« on: December 21, 2013, 04:47:09 am »
Hello All,

I've been studying, reading, thinking, planning, saving etc for the last couple of years and finally bitten the bullet and bought myself a brand new
Thorn Nomad MKII. I looked at various options from other manufacturers but decided the Thorn Nomad MKII was the way ahead for me.
I've lost track of the amount reading of Thorn Forums, the Nomad pdf, individual cyclists blogs, crazyguyonabike entries, component and accessory makers etc, and I've finally done it.

About me, I'm 51 now, but I was a keen cyclist in my 20's in the 1980s and rode the velodrome but also did lots of road miles in training and road races.
In fact I used to ride the 4 man 100km Team Time Trial on the road, 40km Individual Time Trial and the 4000m individual pursuit and 1000m individual time trial on the track. And I almost forgot, did a couple of cycle tours before I started competing - so after a little over 20 years away from the scene, I'm back, and I never thought I would.

Up until now I've been a tramper (hiker) doing lots of walks up in the steep hills, and bush around my part of the country, here in Wellington, New Zealand. I am hoping my with my cycling background and base fitness from my hill walking, to get to grips with riding again - although I can't say I'm in love with my Brooks saddle just yet, but it's early days and I've only had three rides on my new bike, 20km, 40km, and 30km today. I seem to be averaging around 17 - 18km. My 80 - 160km rides in the 1980s averaged 28-30kms an hour and are a distant memory now. I didn't realise it at the time, but looking back on it now I'm quite impressed. I remember doing my rides and trying to keep the average at 30km and be disappointed if I let it slip.

The Thorn is 98% done - haven't trimmed the arms on the rear rack yet until I get and fit my panniers - which I just ordered a couple of hours ago.
(am I allowed to say where from or is that considered being over commercial on this site?) I am hoping to get The Plug III soon too. The handlebars and stem are on loan while we sort out what works for me. I should add I had the Thorn frame and quite a lot of other parts imported into New Zealand and built up here with SJS sourced components and also from elsewhere. Because I am a heavy rider I went for the strongest components possible recommended from the Nomad pdf. In the pdf prior to the one online now, SJS used to highlight their strongest/most durable components in red and I was guided by this.

Just in the three rides I've done so far, it is like I am the newbie I was when I started back in the early 1980s - a lot of cyclists passing by on the opposite side of the road didn't have the time to return a friendly wave to the newbie and I am getting the same (non) response from the racing guys now. It shouldn't, but it bugs me a little bit, as what they don't know I was doing the same kind of rides they are doing 25 years ago - I 'll get over it.

I almost forgot to say, the reason I have bought this bike is that a few years ago I got a whole box of photo slides** from my (late) grandmother, who
made a trip to England and Scotland in 1966 and I've scanned and worked out their locations and I decided I wanted to visit the UK and try to re take the same photos 50 years later and that has now turned into and  idea of riding the UK. I want to do a modified version of the John o'Groats to Lands End ride. I want to ride from JOG along the top of Scotland, down to Ullapool, cycle the Outer Hebrides, put the bike aside and take a boat trip and spent a couple of nights on St Kilda Island, then return to the Outer Hebrides and cycle to their southern end, get the ferry to Oban, then ride to Dover and stay with a friend, preferably via London if I'm brave enough. Any, that is the plan and I am fairly set on it now.

Yesterday's (and my second ride): http://sportypal.com/Workouts/Details/3590805

kind regards
Tony
New Zealand

** http://www.flickr.com/photos/nztony/sets/72157621939814154/
(am I allowed to place links to other sites here or is that a no no?)

« Last Edit: December 21, 2013, 04:52:39 am by nztony »

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
Re: Finally, I've made the jump into the Thorn Nomad MKII Club
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2013, 06:16:36 am »
Wow!

What an absolutely fantastic ride, Tony; so very happy for you and your new arrival! All congratulations your way! Always terrific to see the new "pride 'n' joy" and this one is a beauty!
Just in the three rides I've done so far, it is like I am the newbie I was when I started back in the early 1980s - a lot of cyclists passing by on the opposite side of the road didn't have the time to return a friendly wave to the newbie and I am getting the same (non) response from the racing guys now. It shouldn't, but it bugs me a little bit, as what they don't know I was doing the same kind of rides they are doing 25 years ago - I 'll get over it.
Aw, Tony, they just don't appreciate what's beyond their immediate interest. You're already a member of a supportive community here, not a worry in the world. We'll all return a friendly wave!
(am I allowed to place links to other sites here or is that a no no?)
No problem at all; delighted to see the rest of your photos, Tony.

Thanks so much for sharing with us; looking forward to reading and seeing it all myself next.

All the best,

Dan. (...who is always happy to welcome another member to Thorn ownership)
« Last Edit: December 21, 2013, 06:25:14 am by Danneaux »

nztony

« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2013, 06:52:43 am »
Thanks Dan for the kind welcome.

I know you are a drop handlebars person and so am I and I very nearly went with them, but finally went with MTB bars. I am having to re-educate myself and remember that I am not a 'racing' cyclist anymore and have to try to forget those days when I make new decisions regarding my Thorn. I was hopeless at some decisions: it took me a year to talk myself in the MTB bars, about a year or longer to decide on Yellow as the frame colour. As for the panniers, that has taken me a couple of years to make up my mind on the colour and model. The brand was easy, it was always going to be Ortlieb of course. I ordered them earlier today, so photos to come in the New Year.

It's OK regarding the racing guys not waving, I will get over it ;-)

It was very rewarding paying cash upfront for it too, no loans, no credit cards etc - my daughter left home 18 months ago, so my savings kicked into gear.

I did a little bit of touring 30 years ago (scary how long ago that was)

I promise not to post any shirtless self portraits with the new bike.

regards
Tony
« Last Edit: December 21, 2013, 06:57:22 am by nztony »

Neil Jones

« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2013, 08:17:08 am »
Congratulations Tony what a fantastic looking Nomad, everything looks spot on to me. I'm sure you will get used to the straight bars fairly quickly, I did. Would it be possible to list the components you chose for you steed, can't speak for everyone but it's always interesting to see what other Thorn riders opted for in the end.
Looking forward to reading your posts and hope you and your Nomad have many happy miles and memories ahead.

Relayer

« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2013, 08:42:36 am »
YAY!! Another Tonka Yellow Nomad!!  The best colour

Great looking bike Tony, looking forward to more tales of your travels, and pics of course   ;D

in4

« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2013, 08:49:54 am »
Brilliant photos of your Gran's! Plockton remains the same too! I see she was pioneering Mac computers way back then too. Visionary stuff ;D

Matt2matt2002

« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2013, 02:57:44 pm »
Hi Tony.
Good to see your new bike.
I'm a Raven man myself and live in Scotland.
Please contact me if your trip here comes about.
Noticed you mentioned St. Kilda as part of your tour.

I hope to visit the island in the Spring as a 60th birthday present from my 2 kids.
Any idea when the trip may take place?
Let me know if I can be any help or assistance.

Matt
« Last Edit: December 21, 2013, 08:31:20 pm by Matt2matt2002 »
Never drink and drive. You may hit a bump  and spill your drink

jags

« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2013, 03:22:38 pm »
Hi Tony (your second name isnt kelly by chance)  ;D
that bike is class colour is mental but super cool.
my son is over in your part of the world well Aukland he loves it best country he was ever in and he been all over.
that racing group  that doesn't wave back it must be the same one i meet, the cool dudes group. ah worry not when they hit there 50's they will discover what cycling is really like.

anyway i'm rambling again  ::) welcome to a great forum and enjoy every pedal stroke on that wonderfull bike your allow to post loads of photos and the odd video all mine have been deleted ;D ;D
oh happy christmas .

jags

anto.

Swislon

« Reply #8 on: December 21, 2013, 06:11:27 pm »
Hi Tony  and welcome to the wonderful world of Thorn.
Your bike looks great and you are going to have some great trips together.
Keep the photos coming.

Steve

nztony

« Reply #9 on: December 22, 2013, 05:43:36 am »
Neil,
Here is a list of most of the components I chose in conjunction with Puresports NZ using the Nomad PDF for our main reference:
(with thanks to NZPeterG for putting me onto www.puresports.co.nz/ )

Frame: Thorn Nomad MK2 590L (from SJS)
Headset: Orbit (standard fit with the Nomad I think) (from SJS)
Handlebars: Thorn Flat bar (not installed yet - using a borrowed stem and handlebars from Puresports NZ until we choose a suitable stem) (from SJS)
Grips: Ergon GP5
Cranks: Shimano XT 175mm (from Chain Reaction)
Chainring:Thorn 40 tooth (replaced mid March 2014) 42 SRAM
Rear Hub: Rohloff CC DB EX (direct from Rohloff)
Rear Sprocket: Rohloff 16 (direct from Rohloff)
Front Hub: Son 28 (hope to add the Tout Terrain Plug III shortly) (direct from Son)
Front Rim: Andra 30 plain 32 (from SJS)
Rear Rim: Andra 30 CSS 32h (from SJS)
Tyres: Schwalbe Marathon Mondial 2.15 - may be considered overkill but we chose these as I am a very heavy rider at  130kg, so went for these. (from SJS) 8 May 2014 - first puncture at just over 4000km to front tyre.
          Dec 2014 Changed rear tyre after 9000km with the same. Not one single puncture in those 9000km - I'm very impressed.
Wheels built in New Zealand by: www.wheelworks.co.nz/about/ (they have a "lifetime broken spoke guarantee" I presume they mean "no"
broken spoke? Or perhaps they guarantee to fix all broken spokes for free?)

Front and Rear Quick Releases: Halo XL Hex Key Black.

Brake Calipers and Levers: Shimano XT - in the short time I've had my new bike I am super impressed with these - I descend a very steep windy hill
close to home and only need two fingers on each lever. (from Shimano New Zealand - I think)

Saddle:
December 2014 Specialized - giving it another try
August 2014: Selle Italia Turbo from Chainreactioncycles - the remake of the old 1980s favourite. Should have got it in the first instance - my third saddle this year probably no need to try another.  I used to ride them on all my bikes in the 1980s - road bikes, track bikes etc.
May 2014 Specialized
December 2013 Brooks B17 Honey with black rails  - finally gave up on the Brooks after almost exactly 4000km and replaced with a Specialized - lets see how this one turns out. Brooks unceremoniously chucked into the spare cupboard.

Pedals: Shimano XT Trekking T780
Front and Rear Racks: Thorn Expedition (from SJS)
Bottle Cages: Profile x 3 (from SJS)
Front Light: Schmidt Edulux (direct from Schmidt)
Rear Light: Cateye TL-LD1100 LED (from SJS)
Panniers: Ortlieb Back and Front Roller Classics (from www.thetouringstore.com/ORTLIEB )
Rear Rack Bag (for day rides) Arkel Tailrider www.arkel-od.com/us/tailrider.html
Neil, I think that covers most of it and although we imported the frame to New Zealand and built it here, I am pleased to say I did my best to support SJS Cycles.

Relayer, thanks for that, I'm really enjoying the bright Tonka Yellow colour - my first ever custom made road and track frames were in matt black, so done that, so time for something bright this time around, although I'd have been very happy with black too - actually took me months to decide.

In4, my Grandmother took the slides in 1966, but I scanned them and processed them on my Imac - but, hope to cycle in the general area of Plockton someday or if not, at least through some of the places she photographed - if I have time I'd love to re photograph her photograph of Chedworth, I guess mainly as that was the photo that took the longest to work out where and what it was.

Matt2matt2002, thanks for your offer of assistance, I may hit you up on that for some local knowledge. I'm hoping to hit the UK in 2015 - now that I've bought the Nomad, time to save for airfares and UK expenses now. I am a map nerd from way back and now with Google Earth I super enjoy exploring our Earth and remote places and stumbled across St Kilda a few years ago and found it and its history fascinating. I worked on the Chatham Islands (bigger than St Kilda) in the early 1980s almost 800km off the coast of New Zealand: http://www.flickr.com/photos/nztony/sets/72157608195982797/
(most photos have links to the location)

Jags, I was an Aucklander myself for my cycling years and lived there 1982 - 1993 and still visit. As for those cool dudes - I was one of them once, but I always waved at all cyclists. And what they won't know is that 25 years after competing I'm still as recently as October this year giving talks to local groups about cycling and goal setting - so I feel I get the last laugh there.

Swision, many thanks, and just because you asked, here is another photo! (if I remember how I inserted yesterdays one.)
My sunday ride to Petone Wharf, Wellington, NZ: http://sportypal.com/Workouts/Embed/3592667

or a bigger version here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/nztony/11488639463

I hoped I haven't missed anyone that kindly commented.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2014, 02:46:37 am by nztony »

macspud

« Reply #10 on: December 22, 2013, 05:51:09 am »
Congratulations on taking the jump Tony, the bikes looking good.
Nice seeing the old photos and a good idea for a tour. Looking forward to many more photos, looks like you're a dab hand with a camera, learned a thing or two about photography from your grandmother?
That photo of Plockton is just round the corner from the house where I grew up, the village has changed some but probably much less than many of the other places.
Regards,
Iain.

nztony

« Reply #11 on: December 22, 2013, 06:25:31 am »
Thanks macspud, I'm really enjoying checking out my planned route on Google Maps and Street View, especially along the northern Coast from John o'Groats to Durness (would love a side trip to Cape Wrath if one can cycle there?) My Grandfather was the family photographer, who passed it on to my Grandmother who passed it on to my father and now it's my turn to keep the family photos coming, and I've been dabbling in it on and off for over 30 years now. Those photos my Grandmother took are fascinating as I've checked everyone on Google Maps and Street View quite extensively. (I was a map nerd way before Google Maps was invented.) Several people have said they are looking forward to more photos, but people may regret that as I find such offers hard to resist ;-)

24 Jan 1984
Day two of three of my Auckland to Wellington Ride of 652kms, today's ride of 229km from Lake Taupo to Sanson:

or more details here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/nztony/3024549772
« Last Edit: December 22, 2013, 06:27:16 am by nztony »

NZPeterG

• It's Great to Be Alive! Again! Go Cycle. . . . . .
    • Kiwi Pete's Cycling Safari
« Reply #12 on: December 22, 2013, 07:22:41 am »
Hi Tony<
Looking good  :)
I wish you Mile's (km's) of Happy Cycling....

Pete  8)

The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common[

http://kiwipetesadventures.tumblr.com/

http://kiwipetescyclingsafari.blogspot.co.nz/

Looked after by Chris @ http://www.puresports.co.nz/
For all your Rohloff and Thorn Bicycle's in NZ

il padrone

« Reply #13 on: December 22, 2013, 07:44:01 am »
Hi Tony

Welcome. Your bike looks great, the same colour as mine by coincidence  :D You'll have agreat time with that bike riding in NZ and anywhere overseas. My road bike and the MTB have been languishing with a rueful expression on their bars since I built up the Nomad.

Cranks: Shimano XT (from Chain Reaction)
Chainring: 42 SRAM (once I work out the appropriate gearing I'll probably go for a Thorn, assuming it fits my Shimano Cranks)

You will find that the Thorn ring is only in 5-bolt and as the XT is a 4-bolt crank you will have to reassess the options.

Cheers
Pete

macspud

« Reply #14 on: December 22, 2013, 08:12:17 am »
Those photos my Grandmother took are fascinating as I've checked everyone on Google Maps and Street View quite extensively. (I was a map nerd way before Google Maps was invented.)

Here is a photo looking back to where your grandmother would have taken her photo from....