Author Topic: Rogue's Gallery  (Read 18082 times)

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
Rogue's Gallery
« on: February 22, 2012, 06:27:06 pm »
Hi All,

The recent posting of a well-received photo elsewhere on the Forum showing our esteemed Mr. Jute got me thinking...

Might it be nice to have a small gallery showing Thorn owners and forum participants?

A few of us have included thumbnail photos of ourselves for our avatars, but they are pretty small and hard to see.

It's nice to have a face in mind when corresponding, and it makes the interaction more "real". A few of us appear incidentally in our other gallery photos, and it makes the Forum seem a bit more like a "real" community, rather than a wholly virtual one. It does take away some anonymity, I suppose, but we all look a bit different in cycling gear, and could still use our Forum names.

I realize this idea might not appeal to many, so posting a photo would be voluntary. If it all seems an Evil Idea, then one needn't participate. If it appeals, I'll change the title simply to "Rogue's Gallery" or something to distinguish it from the bikes in the gallery and off we go. If not...<shrug> no problem. I'm not wed to the idea and may be overlooking something, so I'm counting on you all to set me straight if that's the case. It may be this whole notion is better served as a Muppets thread than as a Gallery entry. It may be more of us than we can take.  :-\

Having proposed the idea, I guess I'll take the first brave step before the firing squad and include mine, subject to future removal or updating as dictated by Crowd Response and thrown tomatoes. This one's an arm's length self-portrait I took as I rode along one of my favorite gravel roads here in the heart of Oregon's Willamette Valley one summer's day last year.

[EDIT: Since we seem to be off and running, I have changed the title from "Proposal: Rogue's Gallery" to simply "Rogue's Gallery". If you're considering posting a photograph of yourself, this seems to be the place for it. Still always nice to look forward to pics of your Thorn bikes with and without pics of your fine selves in the Member's Gallery]

Best,

Dan.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2012, 07:55:17 pm by Danneaux »

jags

Re: Proposal: Rogue's Gallery?
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2012, 07:14:12 pm »
http://www.fellclub.org.uk/Watlington.html
Dan if i got this link right thats me shaking hands with the now retired chairman of the fell club scroll down the page  for more. btw that was the benson  vintage cycle rally.

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2012, 07:16:29 pm »
Worked a treat, jags!

This is nice; pleased t' meetcha! <shakes hands back> Suddenly, you're...real!  ;D

(I have a feeling we're all a handsome lot! The group in your photo surely is!)

Terrific club photos and that last one...man! What a gorgeous shot of a beautiful cycling scene. The essence of touring.

Best,

Dan.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2012, 07:19:51 pm by Danneaux »

jags

« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2012, 07:43:27 pm »
sure some lovely places in the cotswolds  that was my first meet with the fellclub. great week hope to get back there .come on now boys post up your mug shots. ;D ;D

JimK

• Interdependent Science
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2012, 10:28:33 pm »

I've posted this before but I almost always ride alone and I am not too good with the camera's timed shutter!

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2012, 10:40:00 pm »
This is great, Jim! You look adventurous and accomplished. A fine-looking chap! Good to meet'cha again, too (and a great choice of photos to post).

Best,

Dan.

Fred A-M

« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2012, 10:50:45 pm »
For a laugh, recent self portrait!

http://fred.shutterchance.com/image/2012/01/14/transparency---a-selfportrait/

....and in my cycling prime about 4 and a bit years ago!  It will take a fair bit of training to fit back in that top!  ;D

http://www.flickr.com/photos/14081381@N03/1468448129/in/set-72157602222814396/lightbox/

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2012, 11:03:29 pm »
You've no worries, Fred!

Fit as a fiddle then and now, and a cycling force to be reckoned with; those mountains didn't stand a chance!

(Bike looks great, too!) I've always found self-portraits more than a bit hard to take, so a tip of the hat for a job well-done.

Glad to meet you, sir! Our little circle is a-growing.

All the best,

Dan.

Pavel

Re: Rogue's Gallery
« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2012, 06:10:14 am »
This is a nice idea here,  I like having a face to put with the words.

I had this one up on my server, it was taken about four years ago now so I'll put up a more recent one when I can.  Perhaps when the bike gets here.
I like this picture because since it was take, since my current GF doesn't like short hair, I've grown it, and a beard too and I look like the local wino now. 
I'm counting on the Nomad to make me look like a more discerning, sophisticated wino.  Can't wait until it gets here!  8)

Pavel

« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2012, 06:11:50 am »
Jim ... I like those shorts you are sporting in that shot.  What kind are they?

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2012, 06:24:57 am »
Hey, great pic, Pavel, and terrific to put a face with the fantastic sense of humor.

You look like a man with a serious photographic hobby, judging by the camera and lens.

I look like the local wino now
Naaaaah, can't see it. You look like...a man....awaiting a Thorn!

Looking forward to seeing a more recent one -- with lots of the bike, of course! -- once it comes.  Nice having you here, Pavel!

Best,

Dan.

JimK

• Interdependent Science
« Reply #11 on: February 23, 2012, 12:35:26 pm »
those shorts you are sporting in that shot.  What kind are they?

I'm pretty sure they are:

Columbia Sportswear Men's Bull Run II Cargo Shorts

which look still to be available for a good price at:

http://www.campmor.com/outdoor/gear/Product___47264

They're comfortable. They're cotton. Lately I have been running in circles in my mind over biking clothes in general and shorts in particular. Maybe polyester is better than cotton, since it doesn't absorb rain and sweat? But I am trying to relax my perfectionism and just go out for a ride!

julk

« Reply #12 on: February 23, 2012, 05:07:38 pm »
Well I was feeling a bit shy but I liked the idea of sharing photos.
This is me just back from a local shopping trip, quite heavily laden with 4 panniers and a good dose of 'helmet hair' after just taking the helmet off!
The bike is a rohloff Thorn, I like it a lot.

It was the first time I got the self timer on the camera to work as well!
Julian.

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #13 on: February 23, 2012, 05:32:05 pm »
Julian!

For a first go-'round with the self-timer, your results are stellar!

No need to be shy; you're a fine-looking cyclist and a handsome fellow; you and the bike are the picture-book definition of "fine"! (love the red touches and how they contrast nicely with the pool-cue paint scheme on your Thorn).

...a good dose of 'helmet hair'...
B-bu-but Julian -- you have hair! I'm envious!  ;D

This is turning out to be really nice; suddenly, you're not just a name on the screen, but a Real Person! Pleased to make your acquaintance, Julian!

Best,

Dan.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2012, 05:36:56 pm by Danneaux »

jags

« Reply #14 on: February 23, 2012, 05:34:01 pm »
Love the laces Julk you hansome devil  ;)
great photo.
this is a great idea keep it going lads.