Author Topic: StuntPilot's Raven Tour  (Read 22418 times)

StuntPilot

• Tour on a Bike
StuntPilot's Raven Tour
« on: January 26, 2012, 10:04:00 pm »
Initial photo of the new steed! Just out the box in mid-November 2011. The intention is to add more photos in the future as I do some tweaking and get some tour shots. It's life story you could call it. The journey begins!
« Last Edit: January 26, 2012, 10:11:54 pm by StuntPilot »

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
Re: StuntPilot's Raven Tour
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2012, 10:21:07 pm »
Richard!

Your new Raven Tour is just fabulous, and nicely-photographed, too; you can surely feel proud!  It is so pretty (or handsome, as the case may be).  Have you named it yet?

I am ever-intrigued by the owner photos I've seen.  It is amazing how each bike bears the stamp of its owner's preferences and desires, and can look so different from one another.

I especially like your black-and-silver combo, Richard.  It looks light and lithe, and ready-to-go.  As a traditionalist, I also appreciate the appearance of the gum-colored skinwalls on the Paselas.  Annnnnd...your Zefal HPX is a dead match; well-done!  It fits in so well with the paint it isn't even visible at first glance.

Is that a special emblem on the rear of the top tube side?

Thanks for sharing your new Raven Tour with us, and I look forward to seeing it continue its journey toward completing your vision of all it can and should be!

Wish I could join you on a double-Thorn ride or two.

All the best,

Dan.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2012, 10:29:05 pm by Danneaux »

Cambirder

« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2012, 10:31:34 pm »
Have you got a good few winter miles on her since November?

JimK

• Interdependent Science
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2012, 12:26:53 am »
Beautiful bike! Promises many happy miles ahead! And all the discoveriers and adventures along the way!

Sometimes I think, hmmm, maybe the Raven Tour would have been smarter than the Nomad. Am I really going to push my bike hard enough to justify the extra weight?

What rims do you have? I have gotten all preoccupied with rim width. I have the Andra CSS which have an inner well width of 19mm and so really a 50mm wide tire is about the limit, though of course people do go beyond that. OK, let me put on the miles to wear out these rims and then I will allow myself to buy wider rims and even wider fenders.

But then, maybe I should try something like the 40mm wide Schwalbe Marathon Racers. How would those change the feel of my bike?

Bah! That Brooks newsletter that Dan posted had something a few links in about folks riding unicycles cross-country!

Enjoy your rides!

StuntPilot

• Tour on a Bike
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2012, 12:03:34 pm »
Dan - thanks for the praise. No, not named yet but have considered 'Torla' after a small village I visited in Summer high in the Spanish Pyrenees. Fantastic place and stunning near-by national park. Here are some pics by various folks on Google ... I think if I had had the Raven Tour then it would be a perfect touring area, indeed I saw many cyclists there.

http://www.google.co.uk/search?q=torla+spain&hl=en&client=safari&rls=en&prmd=imvns&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=X44iT9OrB4Sm8gPzuJmxBw&ved=0CGsQsAQ&biw=1440&bih=754

Luckily the bike came as in the picture and though I planned to change to a 'stealth' version all in black, I have kind of become fond of the more classic look!

The sticker was added - its the www.immobilise.com sticker, and there is an RF device in the bike for identification. I added that as soon as I got the bike.

If you are ever in Scotland for a tour, let me know and we can do that ride (maybe we can team up with that fabulous tonka yellow Fife Nomad too ;D).

Cambirder - Nope, had a few rides localy but the weather has been awfull most of the Winter so far, high winds (100mph + many times, snow, rain, ice, the usual). I know that's an excuse! Don't mind the mud and wet for the bike though. The weather is getting better so looking forward to some longer rides. It will definitely be fully used in the coming months!

JimK - Thanks for the comments Jim. Rims are standard Rigida Andra 30s that come as standard. I am contemplating a SON dynamo and a new wheel with the CSS rims at some point in the (distant?) future. The wheels are fine and well built but I do hear that the CSS are the way forward. Think I may look for the Swiss Stop green brake pads (last longer, and kinder on the standard rims?) when the current shimano's get a bit lower. Tyres - Marathon Mondials 2 inch for rougher tours? Currently Pacella Tourguard 1.75s and the back one is a bit worn.

« Last Edit: January 27, 2012, 12:57:43 pm by StuntPilot »

Cambirder

« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2012, 04:40:47 pm »
nope, had a few rides locally but the weather has been awfull most of the Winter so far

You need down to sunny East Anglia where it hardly ever rains  8).

I set myself a winter target of an average 100km a week but so far this year the weather has been very kind (although often cold) and I've manage a fraction over 150 km. Today has been perfect and I got nice 87 km loop Cambridge - Clare (Suffolk) - Cambridge, blue skies all the way.

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2012, 05:27:39 pm »
Richard,

After seeing the photos in your link, I cast my vote in favor of "Torla".  Man!  What a fantastic place!  Right out of a fantasy or adventure novel -- absolutely incredible.

Giving your bike a name that evokes such a place bodes well for future adventures while retaining a nice link to a pleasant past; it's all good.  Besides, it is a name with a story for those who ask, and that's never a bad thing!

Your Immobilise sticker reminds me I've got to do something with regard to registering Sherpa (and getting him a proper name as well!).  It remains a real concern.  Thanks for the link.  It sounds like a great program, and I'll look for something similar over here.

Yes, please do keep us all up to date with any and all developments and adventures with your lovely steed -- can't wait for the Next Chapter!  If there's anything we on the Forum can help with, let us know.  Here's a thought on the rim/wheel...you could always go CSS with the SON, and replace the rear rim when it wears out instead of going CSS all at once.  I find my front rim gets the most wear (greater braking due to weight transfer), but not everyone has the same braking style.  And yes, you can do a lot of "ride-tuning" just by changing tires.  It is a cheap way to go from a "go-fast" to a "touring" orientation.  Jim even changes by the season with is studded winter tires for icy conditions (maybe just the ticket for your present bad weather?).

If you are ever in Scotland for a tour...
And if you're ever stateside, you've got a ride waiting as well!

Best,

Dan.

StuntPilot

• Tour on a Bike
« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2012, 06:23:17 pm »
Cheers Dan

That's what I was thinking! New wheel with CSS rim for the front with the SON dynamo (I suppose it has to be sooner than later as they have stopped production of the SON 28 Klassik).

Keep existing front as a spare for use in long Summer months where lights are not required (or for a future http://www.extrawheel.co.uk/cycle-touring-trailers/voyager-trailers/voyager-custom-build.html trailer possibly).

You may have see these videos but I was inspired by Tom's Bike Trip in Mongolia ...

http://vimeo.com/18567650 Its in 4 parts

Replace the back wheel rim when worn out with CSS. Sounds like a plan!

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2012, 06:37:00 pm »
Richard,

If we can get you to buy an ExtraWheel, I can call you "Test Pilot" instead of "Stunt Pilot".  I've been vaguely considering one as a handy way to carry the extra water I need for desert crossings and wondered how it might work in practice.  You could tell me!   ;D

They look like a really neat approach to trailering, and far better-suited for off-road work than some other solutions, including the two trailers I've made.  They work great with the tandem, which only does pavement and gravel (keel tube and long wheelbase and no suspension = bad for true off-road), but not so well for the truly rough stuff as they are two-wheelers, and it means I. Hit. Every. Single. Bump. And. Pothole. Ouch. between the bike's single track and the trailer's two.  And yes, your present front wheel gets you halfway toward an ExtraWheel already!  

If you didn't already have enough temptation, I might suggest you squirrel away a SON28 Klassik against that time when the wheel gets built.  'Just kind of tuck it away in the spares box so you're getting a wheel on the installment plan (this worked for me; I bought a set of the Thorn Low-Loader front pannier racks a full 18 months before I got Sherpa. Ever hear the old Johnny Cash song, "One Piece at a Time"? See: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_HfbRdclvkM ).

What a great trip Tom took; the stuff of dreams.  Thanks for the updated link.

Best,

Dan.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2012, 06:39:40 pm by Danneaux »

StuntPilot

• Tour on a Bike
« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2012, 08:10:03 pm »
Well, a good ride last weekend in the chilly Sun! Some snow on the distant hills and a dump due this weekend! So far have made the following changes since I got the steed (I write this for myself too as a history of the bike!) ...

+ Added Brooks B17 Select Saddle (good so far but still needs bedding in - good feeling about it!)
+ Addes two Profile Design water cages (cheap, strong, utilitarian)
+ Added chain-stay and fork inner-tube protection using twist ties and old inner tubes found in the garage (tubes from my first round Scotland tour many    years ago! - continue the dream!)
+ Added security locks for both hubs, Ahead and seat post
+ Degreased and cleaned chain and re-lubed with http://www.squirtlube.com/
+ Adjusted the Ergon Grips to better align the wrists
+ Touched up some paint chips
+ Bits of the same old inner tube added at contact points for pump and Click-Stand (to come)
+ After many rides have found the sweet spot for saddle height and general position on the bike
+ Shimano M324 pedals confirmed as the right choice
+ Removed and added Copper Ease to many bolts to prevent seizing (racks need Loctite to prevent loosening)
+ Added black 'ping-bell' to steerer to allow more space on bars

And a picture to date ... looking classically ready for some tough stuff  ;)

« Last Edit: March 17, 2012, 07:37:20 pm by StuntPilot »

philb0412

« Reply #10 on: February 02, 2012, 08:53:07 pm »
Lovely bike and photo.

I bought a second hand Raven Tour (in a fetching Rosso Red) for a ride to China and back. I was wondering what to use to regrease the threads of all the nuts and bolts before I go. Do most people agree with copper grease for everything except for the racks that should be covered in Loctite? Danneaux I see you a prolific poster on here (I spent many months researching what would be the right bike, justifying the price of the Rohloff to myself and then pining over them when I should have been doing uni work), so I thought you might know.

Phil

StuntPilot

• Tour on a Bike
« Reply #11 on: February 02, 2012, 09:24:47 pm »
Philb ...

Congrats on your new bike! Yes, dis-mantle the bike, and reassemble using 'Copper Ease' on all parts that will be, or will be required to be removed (chain wheel, cog, peddles, brake bits etc.) The racks and other parts that should stay where they are should be given a dose of Loctite. I think you have the right bike. The Rohloff you will find is superb. Strong and simple. Want to do a long trip ... then Rohloff is the answer as far as my research goes. (Will report otherwise!!)

The rest is simple ... get your gear together and go! The problems will arise and you will find the strength to solve them!

Happy peddling!
« Last Edit: March 05, 2012, 08:45:38 pm by StuntPilot »

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #12 on: February 02, 2012, 09:49:15 pm »
My goodness, Richard...it is such a pleasure to see your wonderful new ride become even moreso as you fine-tune it to your needs and preferences!

And, may I add, you're doing a wonderful job if it!  Classic appearance that is classy and tough at once -- ready for anything, like a nice Range Rover to my way of thinking.  Everything but the leather uphol-- wait!  You've got that in the new Brooks B17 Select!  ;D  Tweed Run to 'round the world, you're set!

Looking ever so closely at the latest photo, it appears you might have added a neoprene seal to the lower headset?  Is that the new ping-bell I spy at the rear of the steerer? Good location! Annnnd, what a nice, neat job of wrapping the right chainstay.  You won't have the same worries about chipping as on a derailleur bike with a chain tensioner, but this will prevent any knocks that could possibly occur. Good idea to eventually add a little scuff pad for the coming Click-Stand. We haven't seen you on it yet, but the bike alone looks like a wonderful example of a balanced, neutral setup...all ready-to-go and eager for flight.  You are doing such a nice job, and can surely be proud!  Outstanding. I am so looking forward to following its further evolution. As an aside, you're wise to document its development for many reasons. It gives you a record for your files, and it also provides a photographic record and written description in the event of loss due to theft or fire.
------
Phil...[Editorial snip so I won't dilute Richard's bike thread with a long answer to a question...
If you're happy with Copper Ease, I would suggest staying with it. Be sure to use anti-seize on the chainring bolts and the outside of the chainring sleeve nuts.]
------
I keep going back for another look at your bike, Richard; so nice!

Best to you both,

Dan.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2012, 11:59:05 pm by Danneaux »

philb0412

« Reply #13 on: February 02, 2012, 11:41:13 pm »
Thanks very much for your help chaps.

I think I will probably stick with the crowd Dan, and no need to ship something from the States if there is stuff here, but thanks for your opinion. I'll definitely coat the outside of the chainring nuts well, it's something I might have forgotten to do and as you say could have been annoying in the long run.

Anyway, I won't hijack the diary of this gorgeous bike anymore. Thanks again

StuntPilot

• Tour on a Bike
« Reply #14 on: February 03, 2012, 12:48:01 pm »
Guys

Thanks for the comments! Yes, you can see the ping bell on the steerer. A wire fence is not the best background is it?! I added the Lizard Skins headset bearing cover to keep out mud and dust.

Not really many more changes to make (depending on the tour being made) as the bike was as I wanted pretty much straight out the box. Only main projects would be lights and the SON dynamo with The Plug2, which sounds the perfect solution for lights and power. I have found this high-capacity battery that could be charged by USB http://www.hypershop.com/HyperJuice-Mini-7200mAh-Battery-for-iPhone-iPad-iPod-USB-s/165.htm Seems to be the highest capacity battery available, and allows pass-through to charge items while the battery itself is being charged. But thats another thread ...

Ping bell ...

Cheers for now!
« Last Edit: March 17, 2012, 06:59:25 pm by StuntPilot »