Author Topic: StuntPilot's Raven Tour  (Read 22417 times)

StuntPilot

• Tour on a Bike
Re: StuntPilot's Raven Tour
« Reply #30 on: March 22, 2013, 12:53:19 pm »
Snow and blizzards this week (mid-March). In similar conditions I ventured out for a local run in the snow back in January. The Marathon Winter tyres worked well but is slush and wet snow, they can slide a bit before grip is obtained.

The best technique for going down hill in these conditions I found was to sit on the top tube and use both legs as out-riggers and the feet as brakes! The top tube is quite comfortable with the foam pipe lagging attached!

(Note: the mirror is now a Mirrycle Mountain Mirror http://www.mirrycle.com/mountain_mirrycle.php. The cat-eye is good but the Mountain Mirrror gives a bit more space for the hand. It is also quite a bit stronger.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2013, 12:56:43 pm by StuntPilot »

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #31 on: March 22, 2013, 04:14:26 pm »
Wow, Richard!

What changes...and so much fun to see Torla ("Ordessa Torla Reiver of Border") progress.

Something very wonderful happens to a bicycle in extended ownership. Special touches are made, the bike evolves...takes on a personality of its own. I've so often marveled at how many nearly identical Thorns leave Bridgwater...and end up so very different after finding their homes.

The saddle looks wonderful, coloring-in very nicely! The bell is a terrific way to "let 'em know you're coming", and the sus-fork and seatpost -- well, you'll be riding on a cloud over anything in the way! Have you rigged a front mudguard yet? Winter tires (tyres), new mirror, Man! All is looking fine!
[EDIT: Oh! Back to rigid forks for snowy stuff? Torla's looking *very* adventurous...had no idea she'd take you to Siberia B-r-r-r! Those are some absolutely *superb* snow photos, Richard]

Yours is not the first bike I've seen with a padded top tube. I was visiting the local uni a couple weeks ago and noted it is now de rigueur to have similar protection against the ravages of harsh steel loop-type parking racks. Removable at will, it'll keep scuffs, scratches, and possibly even dents away. Nothing better for things like this:
The best technique for going down hill in these conditions I found was to sit on the top tube and use both legs as out-riggers and the feet as brakes! The top tube is quite comfortable with the foam pipe lagging attached!

Thanks for sharing a bit more of Torla's evolution with us; looking forward to more!

All the best,

Dan.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2013, 04:17:04 pm by Danneaux »

sg37409

« Reply #32 on: March 22, 2013, 04:25:47 pm »
Nice pics - Where abouts in Scotland were these taken ?
I'm in the west, glasgow area,  not that much snow here.

StuntPilot

• Tour on a Bike
« Reply #33 on: March 22, 2013, 04:43:13 pm »
sg hi!

The snow shots are in the Borders up the Ettrick Valley, and were taken back in January (though there is even more snow up there today!). Its over knee deep at my Sister's place near Lauder! Arctic blizzard conditions here right now. And to think it was 22 deg C this time last year  ???

StuntPilot

• Tour on a Bike
« Reply #34 on: March 22, 2013, 05:04:33 pm »
Yes Dan - the pipe lagging top tube 'look' is the new fashion! Indeed it protects the bike when quickly locking with a chain, and for the 'leap-on-and-off' part of the cycling process. I have since wound a length of Gaffer Tape round the pipe lagging for any emergency repairs (e.g. tent/sleeping mat/rack).

About the suspension fork, I actually prefer the standard forks for general riding. If I was doing the trip on the Great Divide Bike Trail, of course the forks would go on (with the Suntour suspension seat post). It is a great fork with the 'dynamic lockout' function for sealed road conditions effectively turning it back into a solid fork. They still appear on eBay from time to time so keep a look out.

Pics and the other mods to follow. Brrr ... its cold! Time for some Moray Cullen Skink!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cullen_skink
]http://www.guardian.co.uk/lifeandstyle/wordofmouth/2012/jan/05/how-to-cook-perfect-cullen-skink]
« Last Edit: March 22, 2013, 05:36:34 pm by StuntPilot »

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #35 on: March 22, 2013, 05:25:10 pm »
Time for some Moray Culen Skink!
My, that sounds good! I'll be right over!  ;D

Best,

Dan.

sg37409

« Reply #36 on: March 22, 2013, 06:09:50 pm »
Co-incidence: I also had a cateye mirror which was good, but got broken when I dropped the bike. It now sports the same mirrycle as yours, and agree, its stronger with more room for your hand.

rualexander

« Reply #37 on: March 22, 2013, 06:24:13 pm »
sg hi!

The snow shots are in the Borders up the Ettrick Valley, and were taken back in January (though there is even more snow up there today!). Its over knee deep at my Sister's place near Lauder! Arctic blizzard conditions here right now. And to think it was 22 deg C this time last year  ???

That looks like The Swire/Witchie Knowe road between the Ettrick and The Yarrow?
A superb mini alpine like climb.

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #38 on: March 22, 2013, 06:37:42 pm »
That first one of the two snow photos is among the most stunning wintry bike shots I've seen. Really, really nicely done; I keep returning for another look.

Best,

Dan.

StuntPilot

• Tour on a Bike
« Reply #39 on: March 22, 2013, 07:14:02 pm »
Rue

Yes, its up the Swire tops. No one around serene and peaceful. Just the sound of the breeze.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2013, 07:15:42 pm by StuntPilot »

sg37409

« Reply #40 on: March 22, 2013, 08:33:07 pm »
Witchey Knowe.  Not been over that in years, I used to always do the dave harris audax. Its a nice climb, but would never have recognised it from the pics.

Matt2matt2002

« Reply #41 on: March 22, 2013, 08:48:20 pm »
sg hi!

Small world. Etrick Valley! Got a couple of friends who live  at Shorthope Farm. Doggie and Anne Bain. Do you know them?
Nice area. I wish I could get there more often.

I have a Raven as well,and was thinking of lagging the top tube. What do you use?
Matt
Never drink and drive. You may hit a bump  and spill your drink

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #42 on: March 22, 2013, 09:41:14 pm »
I have a Raven as well,and was thinking of lagging the top tube. What do you use?
More on top-tube pads here: http://www.thorncycles.co.uk/forums/index.php?topic=6211.0

Best,

Dan.

StuntPilot

• Tour on a Bike
« Reply #43 on: March 23, 2013, 01:15:24 pm »
Matt

Do I don't know your friends but I know where the farm is. I did the Southern Upland way a few years ago and stayed the night in the bothy at Upper Phawhope.

Dan has good suggestions in his link but here in the UK just pop along to B&Q - they have the inexpensive Climaflex grey coloured pipe lagging in various sizes. They may have it in black too. Well worth doing to protect the top tube.

Cheers

Richard

Matt2matt2002

« Reply #44 on: March 23, 2013, 02:41:27 pm »
Matt

Do I don't know your friends but I know where the farm is. I did the Southern Upland way a few years ago and stayed the night in the bothy at Upper Phawhope.

Dan has good suggestions in his link but here in the UK just pop along to B&Q - they have the inexpensive Climaflex grey coloured pipe lagging in various sizes. They may have it in black too. Well worth doing to protect the top tube.

Cheers

Richard

Thanks Stuntpilot
I will be visiting BQ in the near future. ;D

If you did the Southern Upland Way you would have passed our shop at St Johns Town of Dalry.
Maybe you called in?
Isn't it a small world?

We think we have a buyer for the shop so after 16 years we will soon be moving on to the Aberdeen area.
Don't tell me you have been through Inverurie and Kemnay?
 ;)
Never drink and drive. You may hit a bump  and spill your drink