Author Topic: StuntPilot's Raven Tour  (Read 22419 times)

Relayer

Re: StuntPilot's Raven Tour
« Reply #15 on: February 03, 2012, 05:07:53 pm »
That's a really nice looking bike SP.

The B17 Select looks nice too, I hope you can post a pic of it further down the line when it has developed a 'patina'.  I also believe the Select is supposed to be harder wearing, good choice.

StuntPilot

• Tour on a Bike
« Reply #16 on: February 04, 2012, 01:39:49 pm »
Thanks Relayer - you have just given me the idea to take a photo of the B17 Select every 5000km (or less if it changes more quickly). Yes, the saddle is very hard but so far very comfortable and I have a good feeling about it. Recommended!

A photo is attached below of the saddle just after fitting.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2012, 07:21:07 pm by StuntPilot »

StuntPilot

• Tour on a Bike
« Reply #17 on: March 17, 2012, 07:29:32 pm »
The much praised Bike Buddy is now attached to carry fuel. Will eventually go for a 1 litre bottle for added range.

The Click-Stand is a 6 piece one and fits well using the side-mount and velcro strap. Does not get in the way. Glad you suggested buying both side-mount and centre-mounts Dan. I may use the latter later but the six section Click-Stand is pretty tight with the rubber securing band. Would be better with a 4 or 5 part Click-Stand. Glad I bought the six-piece though as it is very compact.

The water bottle is from Elementerre (http://www.elementerre.fr/produit.php?ref=JESTER2011&id_rubrique=24&id_car=6&id_rubrique=6) and has an indentation which exactly fits the lug of the Profile cage and keeps it solidly attached.

Roll on the good weather - touring season is about to begin!
« Last Edit: March 22, 2013, 12:58:43 pm by StuntPilot »

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #18 on: March 17, 2012, 07:38:31 pm »
Richard,

The new detail shots of Torla are really fantastic; a great bike just keeps getting better and better!  ;D

It surely is nice to see the progression over time, and your vision for it all is coming together nicely! Well done!

That little ping-bell mount looks so nice on the back of the steerer (handy, too), and I see you've taken such care in arranging the spacers "just so"; details count!

The saddle is a lovely thing, and it will be intriguing to see how the more natural-finish leather breaks-in and ages. I haven't seen one like yours after some use, so I am mightily interested to see how it comes out. My bet? It will look ever-better, and will age very gracefully after a long and youthful adolescence and adulthood. May it serve you well for many miles (it will!).

And...the bottles...! Very nice job! It surely is difficult (here on this side of the pond, anyway) to find an alloy bottle with the annular detent in just the right place for the bottle cage so it locks-in securely. The fuel bottle is in the best possible spot to avoid in-bag leaks and fumes, and it is great to hear the Click-Stand works so well.  <nods> Yes, I too was unsure which mount would work best, and suspicioned one might be better than another depending on the segments chosen. I am still unsettled about depending on the "rubber" band for retention, so plan to modify the velcro-closed mount before much more time goes by. The consequences of a failure -- hovering as it is over the front wheel on my Sherpa -- are too horrible to contemplate or delay taking action.

Thanks very much for sharing "the latest", Richard. Torla's a true beauty, and you can be ever-so-proud!

Best,

Dan.

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #19 on: March 17, 2012, 07:44:05 pm »
Richard,

...Going back and looking even closer...

What a great job making the little innertube chainstay protector for where the the end of the pump seats on the frame.  A lot of love has gone into Torla, and it will be well-rewarded by decades of faithful service, I know.

The red fuel bottle adds an adventurous splash of color for when you're on-tour. I carry a nearly identical Brunton 1-liter fuel bottle when I'm not taking the half-liter SIGG. The Bruntons sometimes come on sale at Sierra Trading Post ( http://www.sierratradingpost.com/ ) for the princely sum of USD$2.50, as when I get mine. You may wish to check their site occasionally. Their items frequently have something wrong in some way or are discontinued/closeouts, but the fuel bottle seems fine.

Just great to see!

Oh! A question...what is that just below the seatpost clamp on the photo of your saddle? It looks like the end of a Pitlock, perhaps intended to keep the saddle secured to the post. Could it be?

Best,

Dan.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2012, 07:48:27 pm by Danneaux »

StuntPilot

• Tour on a Bike
« Reply #20 on: March 17, 2012, 08:01:14 pm »
Dan - glad you like 'Torla', and I think 'Torla' will indeed be her name as it still rings with me. The bottles are aluminium and were not expensive (got it in France over the Summer) - should have bought two, one for the other Profile cage! Their colour fits with Torla's retro look!

When I bought the Pitlocks I also got hold of two of their collar clamps. One sits under the saddle, the other where the seat post meets the seat tube.

There is a fairly chunky bolt in the gap behind the collar which prevents direct access to the hex bolt of the seat clamp. Metal tongues and bolt cover the seat clamp bolt on the frame.

At least it looks totally secure and solid!

Best

Richard
« Last Edit: March 17, 2012, 08:05:25 pm by StuntPilot »

StuntPilot

• Tour on a Bike
« Reply #21 on: June 27, 2012, 09:47:55 pm »
Thought I would add a couple of Brooks B17 Select 'patina' shots ...

The first one is at 3km with 3 coats of Proofhide as already posted. The second is after 489km with 5 coats of the good stuff. I don't think I need to add another coat for a while as its holding up well (no doubt to the moist 'Summer' here!).

Its looking better and better! And of course more comfortable. I am thoroughly happy with the saddle.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2012, 09:51:58 pm by StuntPilot »

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #22 on: June 27, 2012, 10:18:50 pm »
Its looking better and better!
Oh, indeed it is, Richard! Very handsome to start, it is even better now.

I really love the followups you're doing as Torla changes over time. A wonderful way to document the evolution and personalization of your bicycle.

The only caution I would offer is to think about keeping the Proofide coats light. The stuff has a way of looking like nothing is happening, then -- wow! -- the leather has become prone to stretch or suddenly...does. Ulp. That's a horrible feeling. The different leather finishes "take up" the Proofide in different ways. I've found the apple-green color is very resistant to it, while some (not all) black finishes really lap it up. I have no idea how yours will do eventually, but if it were a problem you would have known it already, so no worries. It looks fabulous!

Brooks saddles really are something, aren't they? If one hasn't owned one previously, it is hard to imagine just how wonderful they can be. I thought I'd found Nirvana in my old Avocet Touring II saddles in the early 1980s...little did I now how much better waited me with my first Brooks. And second, and third, and.... It is a disease.

Looks wonderful, and Torla is delighted, I'm sure!

Best,

Dan.

StuntPilot

• Tour on a Bike
« Reply #23 on: June 27, 2012, 11:02:03 pm »
Thanks Dan! Yes in-dee-dee - the Brooks is the business. Initially with all the talk of them being uncomfortable and requiring a long break-in, I was noticing and worrying a bit during each ride with the new saddle. When I forgot to worry, it became more comfortable!

At least for me, it is a great saddle but I can understand why some, though I am sure only a few, never quite feel it is right for them. I am glad I bought my first Brooks - works for me.

Yes, will keep up light applications of Proofhide - thanks for the tip. Glad you got your shimmy sorted!

Cheers

Richard
« Last Edit: June 27, 2012, 11:08:08 pm by StuntPilot »

kwkirby01

« Reply #24 on: June 28, 2012, 01:47:36 am »
Well, a good ride last weekend in the chilly Sun! Some snow on the distant hills and a dump due this weekend!
I'm bit late responding to this Stundpilot, but where are the hills in the background to your picture? The Angus Glens perhaps if you are in Scotland - the country in the foreground has an east coast feel about it?
Kevin K. Glasgow

StuntPilot

• Tour on a Bike
« Reply #25 on: June 28, 2012, 10:11:15 am »
kwkirby - I'm South of Edinburgh in the Scottish Borders.

StuntPilot

• Tour on a Bike
« Reply #26 on: June 28, 2012, 07:34:10 pm »
After reading the interesting thread on mirrors at http://www.thorncycles.co.uk/forums/index.php?topic=4316.0 I added a mirror a few weeks ago. Its a simple relatively cheap CatEye Racing mirror but has a good field of view that gives a good indication of traffic distance.

Thanks to all on that thread for the great advice. This is the CatEye mirror ...

http://www.cateye.com/en/products/detail/BM-300G/

Available as usual from our forum sponsor ...

http://www.sjscycles.co.uk/cateye-bm-300g-race-mirror-left-or-right-fitting-prod13904/

Only problem is that it interferes a little with the hand position so will be looking at a B&M Cycle Star at some point in the future. One on each side of the handlebars for increased safety. Probably this one ...

http://www.sjscycles.co.uk/busch-and-muller-cycle-star-mirror-fits-to-handlebar-end-short-stem-prod16568/

Seems like it can be attached to the bar end as well any bar end extensions that allow a variety of hand positions. For the moment I am happy with the CatEye Racing.

Interesting to note that the CatEye mirror model number is BM-300G!??
« Last Edit: June 28, 2012, 07:43:11 pm by StuntPilot »

StuntPilot

• Tour on a Bike
« Reply #27 on: March 22, 2013, 12:34:44 pm »
More Brooks B17 Special patina shots from last Summer ...

StuntPilot

• Tour on a Bike
« Reply #28 on: March 22, 2013, 12:37:22 pm »
I attached the BikeRevolution (now Bike Shepherd) sticker attached to the down tube. It allows smartphone users to snap the bar code and find out if the bike has been stollen! Great idea!

http://www.bikeshepherd.org/
« Last Edit: March 22, 2013, 12:59:38 pm by StuntPilot »

StuntPilot

• Tour on a Bike
« Reply #29 on: March 22, 2013, 12:48:09 pm »
Last Summer I managed to get hold of a set of Magura Odur 85mm travel forks.

They are air damped but have a spring for the suspension. They are a great option for remote off-road touring as there is no risk of loss of suspension should the air seals fail. It took a while but tracked them down via Google - found them in a bike shop in Tallinn, Estonia. They work well on a Raven Tour due to the shorter 85mm travel. Tom Allen used Magura Odurs when crossing Mongolia. See some of his great adventures here ...

http://vimeo.com/album/1515720