Author Topic: StuntPilot's Raven Tour  (Read 22421 times)

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
Re: StuntPilot's Raven Tour
« Reply #60 on: March 30, 2013, 07:32:06 pm »
Oh, that looks nice, Richard!

You did a fine job fitting it, and it looks "just right"; well done! It clears your pump on its peg nicely as well.

I've gotten to the point where a bike without a ring-lock looks a bit incomplete in my eyes. They're just so handy!

Still, they're not the last word in high security, so you're wise to keep the U-lock in the picture, as do I. Pitlocks for the rest.

The cover on the SunTour sus-post looks good, too.

Best,

Dan.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2013, 07:35:49 pm by Danneaux »

StuntPilot

• Tour on a Bike
« Reply #61 on: March 30, 2013, 07:40:39 pm »
Dan - a bit of a fiddle to fit but space is no problem on the Thorns (even with the pump etc), at least the Raven Tour.

Delighted with the choice for touring. The Abus Granite will not be going on tour though - too heavy at almost 2kg! Pitlocks fitted - also great.

Note: Gaffer tape supply on top tube ... essential item for touring.

Thanks again for everyone's advice on the AXA Defender!
« Last Edit: March 30, 2013, 07:48:25 pm by StuntPilot »

John Saxby

« Reply #62 on: April 12, 2013, 04:39:43 pm »
Richard,

That's all very helpful--am researching the use of an AXA on my Raven-in-my-future, and you've done it all for me!

Like your black-and-silver bike very much, and Torla's a great name.  In July/Aug 2011, I was hiking in the Spanish Pyrenees with my daughter, and we used Torla as a base for a week of day hikes. Fabulous place, and I found an excellent shoe-repair gel to fix my abraded and leaking boots. Foto attached of a meadow and the canyon wall just near the Ara River campground..

Enjoy your riding with Torla in the summer.  As I write, the last (?) winter storm is battering my windows--snow/rain/ice pellets/freezing rain.  It wasn't supposed to be like this...

John

StuntPilot

• Tour on a Bike
« Reply #63 on: April 12, 2013, 05:05:21 pm »
John

Yes, Torla and the area around is wonderful. The camp site you stayed at looks great. I drove up to Camping Valle de Bujaruelo and did day walks from there, including the same path as in your photo. Wonderful!

http://www.campingvalledebujaruelo.com/

Would go back there one day it is so spectacular. Hence I called the bike after the town Torla. The stable name of my Raven is 'Ordessa Torla Reiver of Borders'. Signifies spectacular country, steep climbs off and on-road, and my local area including 'crossing borders' now and in the future!

Yep, still waiting for Spring here!

Cheers

Richard
« Last Edit: April 28, 2013, 10:40:06 am by StuntPilot »

StuntPilot

• Tour on a Bike
« Reply #64 on: September 29, 2013, 08:21:56 pm »
Just completed the North Sea Cycle Route this Summer. The first big outing for 'Torla'! Currently I am editing and captioning the photographs and will post a trip report and links to the photos soon.

Minor niggles with the Thorn Raven Tour:

1: 8 punctures
2: Replaced the front wheel bearings in Cuxhaven, Germany (one damaged bearing)
3: New £10 chain in Inverness (clunking sound due to bad link on previous (new) chain (my fault fitting it) and forgot to bring the extra links!). £10 chain got me home!
4: Replaced Panaracer Tourguard tyres (started to delaminate after at least 8000km of use/UV/rough tracks/Kent broken glass/soft side walls/nails!) with Schwalbe Marathon Plus in Woowich, London

Only wear and tear - the Raven Tour is a fantastic, solid and comfortable machine!

In the mean time I thought I would add a photo of 'Torla' fully loaded in North-West Germany. If anyone would like specific information on the route or aspects of the trip please feel free to ask!
« Last Edit: September 29, 2013, 09:14:33 pm by StuntPilot »

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #65 on: September 29, 2013, 08:35:04 pm »
Aw, Richard!

What a fantastic-looking touring rig; Torla's looking fine, fine!

Very much looking forward to to your full report when you can manage it, and reading all the details.

Gorgeous photo!

Welcome back; you've been missed!

All the best,

Dan.

StuntPilot

• Tour on a Bike
« Reply #66 on: September 30, 2013, 05:01:57 pm »
Brooks B17 Patina Development

Well this is an interesting change of colour after the North Sea Cycle Route. The saddle has well and truly broken in and is very comfortable. Here are the photos so far of the 'patina' changes on the saddle.

All three photos can be seen here for comparison ...

http://www.touronabike.com/patina-on-the-brooks-b17-select/
« Last Edit: September 30, 2013, 05:36:04 pm by StuntPilot »

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #67 on: September 30, 2013, 06:42:43 pm »
My, Richard, your saddle looks nicer with every successive photo!

The color now reminds me of how the pre-dyed "honey" saddle look at the start. Hmm. "Natural" Brooks as Rohloff hub analog: Do the break-in work yourself and you enjoy that mush more service life.

Really looking fine. Nice to see the three shots in succession on your blog as well.

Best,

Dan.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2013, 06:48:10 pm by Danneaux »

John Saxby

« Reply #68 on: September 30, 2013, 10:17:21 pm »
Hey, Richard, well done to you and Torla!  I'll look forward to your report and photos, and over the next few months I may be in touch for your advice on bike and route. I now have the essentials of a New Raven in my basement, and by March next year, hope to have the complete item up and running. Plans for next year ("advanced speculation" is more accurate) include some part of Eurovelo 10, the Baltic Sea Route, starting in Berlin, where our daughter now lives, and including Denmark, parts of Sweden and I hope one or more of the Baltic republics. All still t.b.c., of course, and probably not quite so ambitious as your safari around the North Sea.

StuntPilot

• Tour on a Bike
« Reply #69 on: October 06, 2013, 11:29:33 am »
Thanks Dan and John! Yes John, enjoyed the trip - if you need any info where your planned route covers any of the North Sea route, feel free to ask.

I did have a long chat in Skagen in Denmark with a German guy who cycled from his home in Leipzig, up to the Polish coast, east to the Baltic states, crossed to Finland, north to the top of Norway and was returning via the North Sea and across Germany home! Some trip eh?

He said that the Baltic states were NOT bike friendly and there are no cycle paths. He did not enjoy it there. He thought an inland tour in any of the Baltic states would be fine but along the coast there are only main roads and lots of heavy traffic.

John Saxby

« Reply #70 on: October 06, 2013, 05:11:37 pm »
Thanks, Richard, that's a good tip.  Nudges me to start thinking about spending more time in Scandinavia.  Have yet to scan the material on CGOAB, but will be in touch when I've worked out my questions. - J.

StuntPilot

• Tour on a Bike
« Reply #71 on: October 17, 2013, 09:02:12 pm »
Just updated my touring web site with the North Sea Cycle Route daily GPS files (under Tours). Also added to the Bike page (under Gear). A few header photos taken on the trip have also ben added to spruce up the site. Any questions about the North Sea Cycle Route, feel free to ask!

You can register your email address if you want to know when additional posts are added to the site as it develops (early days yet!)

www.touronabike.com