Author Topic: Rides 2016 — add yours here  (Read 40914 times)

rualexander

Re: Rides 2016 — add yours here
« Reply #60 on: February 28, 2016, 10:48:49 pm »
Two dry sundays in a row, with light winds, this week has been dry all week, the longest spell without terrible wet and windy weather since around October.
Last sunday's photo of 'sheeps 'n' neeps', followed by todays photo of a pleasant sunny spot for a 'drum up'

geocycle

« Reply #61 on: February 29, 2016, 05:30:57 pm »
Love the sheep Rual, although not sure they'll be keen on their diet!

Andre Jute

« Reply #62 on: February 29, 2016, 07:51:16 pm »
Love the sheep Rual, although not sure they'll be keen on their diet!

I wonder where all those cycle lanes go.

Andre Jute

« Reply #63 on: March 06, 2016, 01:46:35 pm »
Yesterday there was a dry spell for the first time in weeks so I took a short ride just to show the bike there's more to life than being  bunged up inside. Unfortunately, what with the low single digit starting temperature and the 35kph wind from all the way over in Mr Putin Urinals, the actual temperature on the bike was below freezing and I came home from a short ride with icycles just about to form at the corners of my eyes.

Because I was testing a new powerful battery, I was riding a known circuit "wrong way round" to get all the steepest parts of the hills going up rather than coming down, so I saw some new vistas. Unfortunately, they were all into a low sun, coming up for 4pm, and the glare was horrendous.

There's a yield sign and a cute cottage at the bottom of this lane coming back into Bandon, but even the camera, without tears in its eyes, can't see it! And I went back for the best spot to take a photo, where the sun was at least a little shielded by trees. Elsewhere, between the trees, visibility was the front wheel. When I got home I found and put on the bike my polarizing shades, which I haven't worn in umpteen years because, generally, here in Ireland there is no need for tinted spectacles deeper than a moderate orange.

A miserable ride but just short enough not to get frozen to the core so that an hour's nap under a 15 tog duvet* warmed me through to near-human again. But I'm very happy to have tested the new battery and its installation; it would be an expensive thing to get wrong!

*According to the net: "A tog is 0.1 m^2 K/W. In other words, the thermal resistance in togs is equal to ten times the temperature difference (in °C) between the two surfaces of a material, when the flow of heat is equal to one watt per square metre. British duvets are sold in steps of 1.5 tog from 4.5 tog (summer) to 16.5 tog (extra-warm)."

JimK

• Interdependent Science
« Reply #64 on: March 07, 2016, 09:56:51 pm »
https://ridewithgps.com/routes/12486190

I wanted to try a bit of a new route... to cross the old Roebling suspension bridge from Kingston to Port Ewen, then cross back over the Rondout at Eddyville. I don't know those roads around Port Ewen... well, I learned a little today!

I got into the little village of Connelly, very marina oriented. I had already taken a wrong turn to get there. I went up a promising road to attempt an exit, but Dead End signs at the top in every direction. Cruel! I thought, well, hmmm, there might be some little trail through the woods perhaps? It turned into quite the expedition! I was good and lost! Deep gooey mud, deep slippery sand, you name it!

Next time I will try not to miss my turn, and I will back track if I do! More adventure than I really need, today!

http://www.callanan.com/about-callanan-industries/callanan-a-history/:

"Around 1937 a new quarry was started at Kingston with equipment from the Albany Crushed Stone buyout.  This operation established a market in New York City via barges on the Hudson River and supplied the heavy fill in Flushing Meadows for the 1939 World’s Fair (now the site of the U.S. Tennis Center)."
« Last Edit: March 08, 2016, 02:39:30 am by JimK »

Hoodatder

« Reply #65 on: March 14, 2016, 09:02:48 pm »
What a day. What a beautiful day. Clear blue sky, bright sun and a fresh north easterly breeze - nothing to worry about. As soon as I started my ride, I felt good, I felt alive , buzzing even. The cool breeze didn't penetrate my long sleeved wicking shirt and close fitting cycling jacket. Even this seemed strange - cool on the outside and me toasty on the inside - no gloves or hat. Literally, after 5 minutes I was in the countryside and noticing all the newly clipped hedgerows. I think last week was the final week allowed for hedge management, according to the twitcher down the lane. After 15 minutes I was passing the old Saxon church at Bossall with the cacophony of crows in the trees contributing to the mood I was in. Another 15 minutes into the ride saw me going up Rider Lane and seeing alpacas in the field and then having to stop at a level crossing waiting for a train to pass - which it did 1 minute later. Out comes the signal man from his box to swing open the gates, no electric barriers here. I was almost in another time warp. Up the slow climb to Crambe and then pell mell downhill over the railway lines to Kirkham Abbey ruins, sitting on the River Derwent. The river is still running at a high level and the evidence of it's breached banks are to be witnessed on it's serpentine route through the Vale of York. The inevitable short steep climb from the river had to be tackled to start taking me into my beloved East Yorkshire Wolds.

Once at the top of that ascent, it was just plain idyllic cycling, twisty roads, no cars, country smells and that fresh north easterly keeping my face cool. 20 minutes later and I'm witnessing a hunt. Red jackets, black jackets, the hounds and even the horn being sounded, the whole nine yards. It was a quintessential English countryside scene, although I am anti hunting. I stopped to have a yarn with a gamekeeper who said that they were following a scent that had been previously laid but it was possible that a fox might get flushed out by the hounds. So then, a back road into Burythorpe and a lung pulling climb out on to the top of the Wolds. There is no sign giving the % ascent, but a road that runs nigh parallel, is 17% and I think this one is steeper. On the top, I was rewarded with silence, with views, with bright sunshine and a sense of well being. It truly was one of those days when you are glad to be alive, you are thankful for your health and thankful for what nature provides for free. Pressing on sees me arrive in Birdsall with another slow climb to the top of Leavening Brow, but now with the breeze behind me. From here I ride along the spine of these particular hills and enjoy the panoramic views across to York and it's low lying vale. Wonderful. I know these are not the Highlands or the Rockies or the Alps, but there is a subtlety here, a forgiveness for being punished on those short steep climbs. It compels you to push on and explore that bit further - and it never ever fails to deliver.

So, from my elevated position, it's then downhill all the way home via Acklam, Buttercrambe and the offy at Stamford Bridge for the night time medicine. Whilst riding, I was continually assessing my RST. Without doubt it is the finest bike I have ever owned. I receive my new RT on Wednesday and the new wheels will go on the RST, making it a bit lighter. "Can it get any better then this?" I was asking myself. Lets wait and see. My day has ended as it started. What a day. What a beautiful day!
« Last Edit: March 14, 2016, 10:13:56 pm by hoodatder »

JimK

• Interdependent Science
« Reply #66 on: March 14, 2016, 09:35:19 pm »
Thanks, hoodatder, for the great story! That's the kind of experience that keeps me getting out on my bike! Really tasting the places, the people!

Hoodatder

« Reply #67 on: March 14, 2016, 10:21:20 pm »
Hi Jim,

My pleasure. The only pity is that there was no one with me to share the moments. On such days, it's very hard to relay the experience / views and senses to others, even though you have captured that moment. I sincerely do not know what it was today, but it was good. I even checked the empty cans when I got home to see if they had been tampered with ;D

Hoot

David Simpson

« Reply #68 on: March 15, 2016, 01:01:31 am »
Hi Hoot --

Thanks for taking the time to write up your ride. I looked up that area on Google Maps Streetview, and what a beautiful place to ride! I wish I went with you.

- DaveS

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #69 on: March 15, 2016, 01:44:29 am »
Hi Hoot'!

What a joyful account -- made me feel good just reading it!

It really is sort of magic when everything comes together like this, and it surely gives one the impulse to share. I think that is the one significant drawback I've noticed from touring so many years alone; there's no one to share it with directly. I've found that taking a photo to "share later" (whether I do or not) and describing the experience in a journal or on social media or via email helps fill that void and makes me feel better, as if I'm sharing it (something that makes most things "better" :) ).

Very nice, kind, and generous of you to share this wonderful experience with us; many thanks.

All the best,

Dan.

Andre Jute

« Reply #70 on: March 15, 2016, 04:08:56 am »
Magic report, Hoot. That was a wonder-full ride. Thanks for sharing.

Hoodatder

« Reply #71 on: March 15, 2016, 08:16:34 am »
Well thank you one and all for the kind comments. If they have made your day and fired the imagination, then I have had my companions with me.

I must send a memo to myself - "Take the camera with you at all times!"

Humbly yours

Hoot

Andre Jute

« Reply #72 on: March 15, 2016, 11:18:38 pm »
Sometimes words are more potent than pictures. This was one of those cases. The missing camera had a narrow escape from being blamed for doing us out of the GOOD WORDS.

Hoodatder

« Reply #73 on: March 16, 2016, 09:10:40 am »
Sometimes words are more potent than pictures. This was one of those cases. The missing camera had a narrow escape from being blamed for doing us out of the GOOD WORDS.

Yes Andre, but it was the experience that was potent. No visual or audio recording could have related that particular day. Dan mentioned that "sort of magic" and it was just that - magic. I really could have waxed lyrical when I arrived home, but I was still savouring the feeling of witnessing Spring being unfurled with sight and sound, me, being the passing spectator soaking it up like a sponge. For once, humans had made a harmonious accompaniment to nature. As I was cycling across the top of Leavening Brow, I could have dropped down into Thixendale. Here, a glacier has cut it's way through the hills. This weaves it's way and meanders into Millington Pastures giving walkers and cyclists alike those short steep climbs yet also a sense of enclosure in this mini Grand Canyon. You may be interested to google robertefuller.com. He is a local artist who has a gallery at Thixendale and has seasonal exhibitions. Not being an artist myself, I think his work is stunning and worthy of a peek from yourself. This chap has cameras set up in nesting boxes and various locations in his "back garden". It is not uncommon to witness sparrow hawks and other not so often seen birds, feeding there.

So will I experience that again? I fervently hope so, and I also know not to try and chase it - it will be illusive as the butterfly, but if I stand still, it will come and land on my shoulder. If I could, Andre, I would bottle that day and GIVE it away as a tonic for all people, that's how powerful it was. I have always had a healthy respect for Mother Nature and it's changing seasons, but that day was if I was looking through a kaleidoscope and saw a landscape of sight and sound that bid adieu to the end winter and teased the onset of spring. Pure magic!

Regards

Hoot
« Last Edit: March 17, 2016, 08:13:34 am by hoodatder »

Andre Jute

« Reply #74 on: March 16, 2016, 09:37:07 am »
And thank you too for the very agreeable visit to Mr Fuller's gallery. He seems vaguely familiar; maybe he was on one of those BBC wildlife programmes with his nestcams.