Author Topic: Rides 2016 — add yours here  (Read 40907 times)

John Saxby

Re: Rides 2016 — add yours here
« Reply #90 on: May 06, 2016, 08:52:42 pm »
Great work, Jim -- good to be back in the hills again, eh?

We still have some patches of snow in the woods on the northern slopes, but the stuff on the roads is all gone now.  Flocks of geese overhead, honking northwards.  Lovely sound -- can mozzies and black flies be far behind?

Cheers,  John

Hoodatder

« Reply #91 on: May 06, 2016, 11:10:06 pm »
Hi Jim,

A bit of a lung puller there at 23 miles into your round trip. I hope you pulled out your packet of Capstan Full Strength, inhaled deeply  and  said "I've done it. Fag to the consequences." and gave a  nonchalant look to the young, lycra clad passing cyclists. More of  "What's the problem?"

I know one shouldn't drink and drive, but is it criminal to smoke and cycle?

Now here's a topic for debate. Unfortunately, I'm predisposed to answer any replies, but please feel free to wade in and give your candid opinions - as I'm sure you will. I can referee for a short while  :D

Hoot
« Last Edit: May 06, 2016, 11:14:05 pm by hoodatder »

Andre Jute

« Reply #92 on: May 07, 2016, 12:33:52 am »
Cycling in shirtsleeves today. Hallelujah! So pleased with the weather, I stretched a planned 75m ride to three and a half hours.

Hoodatder

« Reply #93 on: May 08, 2016, 09:42:19 am »
Cycling in shirtsleeves today. Hallelujah! So pleased with the weather - So right Andre.

Went for a spin myself and forgot the camera - again. I have attached some pix that I took on the same route 2 years ago virtually to the day. I consider this area "My backyard".

The 1st one is the entrance to the ruins of Kirkham Abbey. All these abbeys were built close to water - Rieveaulx and Fountains for example. No worry about global warming then.

The 2nd is going over High Mowthorpe looking across the Vale of Pickering. There are a lot of "Thorpes" around here. It is a Viking word meaning settlement / village. If you see the word "carr", that is Viking for swamp land, so beware when buying a house down Wold Carr Road, for example. Similarly, the word "Ings" means flood plain, so the aforementioned caveat applies.

The 3rd is the descent into the vale.

The 4th - well that is commonly known as an oasis - a watering hole. it's the sign outside the Jolly Farmer pub. Sounds a bit like Tolkien-

"You will see Strider at the sign of The Prancing Pony" - "That was a proper 1420" and the names around here - Kirby Underdale, Bugthorpe - Sand Hutton - Buttercrambe - Scrayingham - Skirpenbeck.

Another good day today.

Hoot

Hoodatder

« Reply #94 on: May 08, 2016, 09:54:51 am »
Oops! Wrong attachment!!

Here is Kirkham Abbey - well what's left of it and another piccy of Langton village.

It's so gorgeous to be out now. The rape seed is setting the base for the countryside to be a harlequin of colours. The blossom on the hedgerows are hemming everything in. The husbandry of these farmers on the hills (anywhere, for that matter) shows an extraordinary skill in land management and tractor skills. The panoramic views make me think of what I see as being a huge slice of Battenberg - forget the patchwork quilt, I need a sugar rush!!

Thank you mother Nature for putting all this on my doorstep.

Andre Jute

« Reply #95 on: May 08, 2016, 05:32:31 pm »
That rapeseed yellow certainly gives the country contours great definition. The real Kirkham Abbey ruin is so much more interesting!

Here is Kirkham Abbey
Thank you mother Nature for putting all this on my doorstep.

Amen!

JimK

• Interdependent Science
« Reply #96 on: May 15, 2016, 11:31:22 pm »
I finally found the straightforward path from Jockey Hill to Morey Hill. It's shown on some maps, but I have never managed to find it before. Turns out it goes right through the active quarry. Probably not completely legal, but there was no one there on a Sunday evening to voice any objection!

https://ridewithgps.com/routes/13756812

JimK

• Interdependent Science
« Reply #97 on: June 13, 2016, 10:32:30 pm »
Today's ride was flat but still a bit of an adventure. I wasn't sure that 7500 W really connected all the way through the Ogden Bay Waterfowl Management Area... but it does!

The route: https://ridewithgps.com/routes/14410776

Album: http://s140.photobucket.com/user/kukulaj/library/Nomad/2016%2006%2013%20Ogden%20Bay

7500 W:

Andre Jute

« Reply #98 on: June 14, 2016, 12:53:08 am »
Good golly, Jim, that looks like the Fens around Cambridge, the one in East Anglia in England, not the Boston suburb with the missionary school.

I must say that, more than any other place I have ever lived, as an elderly cyclist not as fit as I once was, every time I go straight out of my front door onto a steep hill, I pine for the flat Fens.

John Saxby

« Reply #99 on: June 14, 2016, 01:09:03 am »
Mind you, Andre, if you look into the far blue distance, just to the right of the track and the water beside it, you'll see a sharp un-fen-like peak, just waiting for your bold ride!  :-)

Andre Jute

« Reply #100 on: June 14, 2016, 05:27:24 pm »
A cyclist may look at a foothill, John, and even ascend it to gaze up the mountain that as a boy from a red desert he rode to the top to gambol in the snow at the peak.

Did you ever see the Prince Albrecht Mountains with snow on them when you visited your friends in the Karoo? Actually not as rare a sight as you might imagine, though not long-lasting in any year.

[For everyone but John, who's been there, these mountains divide the pale green from the olive green areas on the map of the Southern tip of Africa, of which a section about 1500 miles deep is shown, a fair old ride.]

« Last Edit: June 14, 2016, 05:30:42 pm by Andre Jute »

John Saxby

« Reply #101 on: June 15, 2016, 05:13:28 pm »
Thanks, Andre.  Such beautiful countryside, isn't it?  I saw snow on the hills and mountains inland from Cape Town only from the air, flying north one cool July morning.  I did see snow on the Draakensberg from Bergville one fine day in May; happily, that was after I'd descended from the high country.

The Karoo does things to people, doesn't it? You probably know Andre Brink's work -- I found An Instant in the Wind to be the most powerful of his novels, and the setting (the Karoo) played an important part in that.

I never made it to those parts on my bike when we lived in SA between 2003 and 2006, though the highveld around Pretoria made for excellent day rides, and my first long-ish ride on a bike took me from Pretoria downhill to Durban, a group ride to celebrate the 70th birthday of a longtime friend.

Cheers,

John

Andre Jute

« Reply #102 on: June 16, 2016, 07:12:33 pm »
I'm more into the cosmopolitans like Stuart Cloete (Turning Wheels, Rags of Glory) and the disruptors with novel ideas like Etienne Leroux* (Sewe dae by die Silbersteins, a hilarious and controversial novel of miscegenation -- for which description I was fired from the SABC for the first, but not the last, time, which was notable and amusing since I didn't actually have a job there -- I was still at school). It's no accident that Etienne was from my hometown, Oudtshoorn; the town produced a veritable who's who of the arts and politics. The most readable, involving and amusing South African novelist (after me, of course) is Peter Temple, another cosmopolitan, several of whose books are set in Melbourne, a city I know well. Of course, all of that is given on the assumption that, like most of the rest of the useful intelligentsia, your preferred reading matter is well-crafted and characterised thrillers.

* Not that Cloete isn't also a disruptor; you can see people in my mother's family, whose ancestors were on the Great Trek, raising their blood pressure visibly when Turning Wheels is mentioned.

JimK

• Interdependent Science
« Reply #103 on: June 20, 2016, 02:14:12 am »
51 miles, 3500 feet of climbing.... the road goes farther, but we may have reached our limit!

https://ridewithgps.com/routes/14543273

in4

« Reply #104 on: June 20, 2016, 09:13:39 am »
I recognise that area having looked at your gps log. I was there quite some years back visiting a paramour of mine! Delightful place. Loved Antelope Island and Bear River. There was a climb  the local riders did that was so hair-shirt impressive ( sure it went past an old boxcar type diner of some local repute). A real test riding up the canyon but a fun, brake melter on the way down!
Thanks for posting.