Author Topic: Rides 2016 — add yours here  (Read 40898 times)

Donerol

Re: Rides 2016 — add yours here
« Reply #45 on: February 16, 2016, 11:41:40 am »
Lovely photos, Rualex. I love the one with the old phone box - the palm tree is weird, isn't it! (Have you had to do a little photoshopping?). And the drum up on the shore - aahh, I've often thought of doing that and once or twice have even done it, but found I got cold by the time the water had boiled.  What stove is that?

I must do that circuit when the weather gets better - it's easy for me to get a train to Gourock for the start.

Edited to add: Did you do a complete circuit or did to ride south from Dunoon, up Loch Striven as far as the private track, and then retrace your steps?  It's not clear from the OS map what is possible/permissable.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2016, 12:05:19 pm by Donerol »

bikerta

« Reply #46 on: February 16, 2016, 12:00:42 pm »
Fantastic photographs. Puts me to shame, when I am on half term holiday and am sat on the sofa thinking I must get the bike out for a decent ride again, and then think ooh!! it's a bit chilly out there. Have got some decent warm clothing, so no excuse.

I am also curious about the stove you are using now. How does it compare to the Honey Stove you also use?  I use my Honey Stove when I can, but it's not always practical in wet weather. Then I tend to use my trangia which I love. Really like the idea of collecting free fuel at the end of the day to burn on these wood stoves, but they take a bit of practice to cook a meal on.

Andre Jute

« Reply #47 on: February 16, 2016, 12:03:54 pm »
Meantime, the nearest I get to a 2016 ride is close scrutiny of maps...

Beautiful, beautiful day yesterday. Sunshine, clear skies, see forever. When I returned home, I wondered if I left the tip of my nose in another county, it was so cold, and the wind intensified the chill factor even when I rode slowly not to become even colder. Three hours later I still wasn't properly warmed through. What a misery.

They must be having better weather in Scotland, all those wonderful photographs...
« Last Edit: February 16, 2016, 12:06:37 pm by Andre Jute »

rualexander

« Reply #48 on: February 16, 2016, 01:25:00 pm »
Lovely photos, Rualex. I love the one with the old phone box - the palm tree is weird, isn't it! (Have you had to do a little photoshopping?). And the drum up on the shore - aahh, I've often thought of doing that and once or twice have even done it, but found I got cold by the time the water had boiled.  What stove is that?

I must do that circuit when the weather gets better - it's easy for me to get a train to Gourock for the start.

Edited to add: Did you do a complete circuit or did to ride south from Dunoon, up Loch Striven as far as the private track, and then retrace your steps?  It's not clear from the OS map what is possible/permissable.

The palm tree, is not a palm tree, they are quite common in places on Scotland's west coast, often referred to as palm trees and a result of the warm Gulf Stream, but anyone who has been to New Zealand will recognise them as 'Cabbage Trees' which grow throughout NZ in similar climates to ours.
The route is a there and back ride, there is a foootpath of sorts that connects up to the road at the north end of Loch Striven but I haven't ventured over it. There is however a forest track over the hills to Dunoon from near the south end of the loch.

I am also curious about the stove you are using now. How does it compare to the Honey Stove you also use?  I use my Honey Stove when I can, but it's not always practical in wet weather. Then I tend to use my trangia which I love. Really like the idea of collecting free fuel at the end of the day to burn on these wood stoves, but they take a bit of practice to cook a meal on.

The stove is a woodgas stove https://wildstoves.co.uk/product/wild-woodgas-budget-model/ less assembly than the Honey Stove but I think I still prefer the Honey which I had out at the weekend as well.
We had two days of great weather this weekend, one cycling, one hillwalking, must have been the first time we got two good days in a row since around October.

Honey Stove in action, after walk up Ben A'an.

« Last Edit: February 16, 2016, 01:34:53 pm by rualexander »

Donerol

« Reply #49 on: February 17, 2016, 11:37:55 am »
Thanks for the details - and more wonderful photos!

DAntrim

« Reply #50 on: February 26, 2016, 11:50:26 am »
Couple of photos from my virtual commute, yesterday along the river Dee / Chester racecourse.
A sure sign spring is nearly hear

Chester Racecourse

in4

« Reply #51 on: February 26, 2016, 10:32:16 pm »
I was near this very spot today. Pitstop at the canal basin. Cold but glorious day, and I beat my previous time thanks to a kindly wind.  :)

Andre Jute

« Reply #52 on: February 26, 2016, 11:21:36 pm »
Wonderfully moody photographs, DAntrim. I love your bike disappearing into the fog: it could be a Busch & Muller advert!

geocycle

« Reply #53 on: February 27, 2016, 08:01:42 pm »
Got up high today onto the grouse moors of the Bowland fells. Still very cold with some ice but great 'away from it all' feeling.

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #54 on: February 27, 2016, 10:16:06 pm »
Boy! I'll say!

Terrific photo, Geo'; thanks for sharing.

Best,

Dan.

lewis noble

« Reply #55 on: February 27, 2016, 11:30:55 pm »
Hello geo!!

Good picture! What saddlebag is that on your RST?

Lewis

geocycle

« Reply #56 on: February 28, 2016, 10:45:47 am »
Hi Lewis,
It's a standard Carradice barley. I quite like it for day rides. I have a Carradice cadet which sits on an uplift frame that is a bit more practical but the barley is easy just to attach to the saddle loops even though it sets at an odd angle. I'd like the draw string neck inside the barley to be a bit longer and the pockets to be a bit better closed to retain small objects. Here's a close up.

Matt2matt2002

« Reply #57 on: February 28, 2016, 05:42:43 pm »
Wonderful pictures folks.
Thanks for posting. Always nice to see where folk have been.

They inspired me to take my first proper ride of 2016
Just 10.49 miles. Bad weather, a cold and work all conspired to keep me in-doors for months.

So good to get out and smell the fresh winter air.
Even the slurry spread across some fields was good to smell.
Is it called slurry in USA?

Sheep and crops big business around Inverurie, Aberdeenshire. Saw a field of turnips and these sheep. Lambing soon no doubt.

One of my usual stops is at the Maiden Stone. Unfortunately it was covered for winter protection. I guess when you get to be 1,000 years old, a little TLC over the winter months is desirable.

New EBB and Shimano UN55 bottom bracket. Plus Swisstop blue pads. Running fine.

Where would we be with Brooks?

Last week I booked my flight to Sri Lanka. 30 days in July. I think it will be quite a contrast to Aberdeenshire. Roll on the summer.
Never drink and drive. You may hit a bump  and spill your drink

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #58 on: February 28, 2016, 07:09:48 pm »
Matt,

Your first photo displays brilliantly, but the others aren't linking. Be sure you're linking to each photo in its root form, as you did on the first one.

All the best,

Dan.

Matt2matt2002

« Reply #59 on: February 28, 2016, 07:55:24 pm »
Thanks Dan.
All look OK to me but your comments make me recall I may not have used the rout destination.
Unable to tackle problem at the moment.
But will work on it.
Thanks again
Never drink and drive. You may hit a bump  and spill your drink