Author Topic: Danneaux's Tour de Yerrup  (Read 35919 times)

jags

Re: Danneaux's Tour de Yerrup
« Reply #120 on: May 29, 2014, 05:55:29 PM »
Our man Dan is certainly in great shape.
best of irish luck Dan boy have a blast.

anto.

bikerta

« Reply #121 on: May 29, 2014, 06:25:27 PM »
It seems strange seeing Dan with a red bike!!  You never know he may start to like the red.  ;D 

Jags, I think if we did the amount of miles that Dan does, then we would also be in the same great shape. I must get out on my bike tomorrow for a run. Was hoping to do a couple of back to back rides this week, but work and weather has got in the way. I can't get the bike dirty yet coz I spent ages cleaning it the other day.   Now I have to help my brother to move on Saturday. Bother.

jags

« Reply #122 on: May 29, 2014, 06:39:53 PM »
well it rained  here and i was only after polishing my bike so wasn't getting it dirty, i know i'm sad ah i had to mind the grandkids this afternoon as well. but tomorrow defo going to get a good spin in.
i used to cycle 6 to 7 thousant miles a  year hail rain or snow when i done the camino 
http://travellingwheelburys.blogspot.ie/2007/11/camino-cycle-september-2006.html.i was in great shape flying that year,but the auld body has gone down hill since then  ;D ;D

anto.

John Saxby

« Reply #123 on: May 29, 2014, 07:03:39 PM »
Thanks, Andy, for your help & support for Dan.  Nice bike, nicely kitted out!  Dan, love the colour-coordinated red lid!!  Gotta get the details right, eh?

Safe journeys,

John

in4

« Reply #124 on: May 29, 2014, 07:42:41 PM »
Photobombed by a feline too!
Now that looks like a chap about to set off on a proper jolliday!
Enjoy!  :)

geocycle

« Reply #125 on: May 29, 2014, 08:04:10 PM »
Looking good, andy's done him proud. Good luck Dan!

Andre Jute

« Reply #126 on: May 29, 2014, 11:29:29 PM »
Referring to the most recent pics of Dan and Andy's bike, years of practice and thought went into going on a major, major tour with bags packed so compactly and tidily. It's almost unbelieveble that there's nothing loose strapped on.

(According to your remarks in another thread, Jim, you'll never make it. The piano won't fit!)

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #127 on: May 30, 2014, 09:18:09 AM »
Hi All!

After 105.5F/40C temperatures on some of my sun drenched summits, the weather changed to nearly 36 hours of rain and now heavy fog and rain this morning. The temperature dropped to just 39F/3.8C and I began to chill.

I spent last night with my tent pitched in the shell of a roofless abandoned farmhouse and was on the road riding just before 6am. After 7, I noticed there was more life about, so I stopped at the town store in Vabel. Except for a few raw meats in the butcher case there was nothing but junk foods available --cookies, candies, cakes, and biscuits. I bought a Coke and a little pack of 6 chocolate covered shortbreads and that was breakfast. In other towns,  store after store was closed, often with photos of the dead owners on the doors. Here in Bulgaria,  obituaries are posted on the house, door, or town meeting place instead of in a newspaper.A quick check with the locals confirmed the owners had passed away or were unable to remain in business due to financial setbacks. I asked what the townsfolk would do without a store and was told there are gardens and animals instead. Very few people speak English here, so the offline translator on my smartphone is a huge help. Getting confirmation of directions can be a bit confusing because most -- but not all - Bulgarians nod for "no" and shake their heads for "yes".

The public roadside springs Andy advised of ended at the Popovo county line and have not reappeared. I'm carrying three 1.5l bottles in the MonkeyCages, which don't seem to be working too well at retaining or releasing the bottles. They do allow capacity and are a very clever idea that works somewhat less well on execution than I'd hoped but I may be able to improve their retention along the way.

The CatEye Adventure computer is evil, plain and simple, and changes onto Set Mode when I hit big bumps. This means I have no reliable way to check distances.

The rest of the bike is working like a champ apart from a dragging right front brake. I'll take a look at it when it stops raining but for now it seems to be working fine if I open the release on the lever. The Purple Extreme chain lube is working fine in the rain and seems to be much longer lived on the Rohloff than on my derailleur rando bike.

Mosquitoes are fierce and seemingly impervious to my Picaridan spray in the concentration I'm carrying (7.5% and all I could manage to send via post). I slept with a hand near the tent wall and awakened to find it had been drilled in a line where it rested against the fabric.

Climbing, climbing, and more climbing brought me to Nikopol, where I saw a sign for the Hotel Gold through the pouring train. Even better,  I saw a Swiss cyclotourist on his Veloutraum out front. He said the hotel was clean and nice and he paid in Swiss francs. He is on his way to Istanbul and then Thailand. By the time I finished locking the bike, A French couple arrived to collect their bikes from the downstairs locked storage. They are on their way to Bucharest and will then fly home. They said Internet was available via and access code from the desk agent,  but not reliable in its connection.

I went inside and paid the price of 50 Bulgarian Leva (about €25) for the room,  then relocked the bike in storsge and walked upstairs. It is clean and nice and quiet as well. There seems to be a restaurant attached so I'll see if that is available later,  as I have an appetite. There is even a shower sharing space with the toilet and hand basin and my choice of two single beds.

I decided to stay on the Bulgarian side of the Danube for now as I have a supply of Leva and may as well use it. Unfortunately, I'm finding as many closed banks as stores. Several had chains through the door handles and signs up saying they are closed, please visit another branch.

I was able to pick up some food supplies at the Penny Market in Svishtov, but decided not to catch the ferry to Romania there as I learned of some severe road problems as a result of recent flooding on that side.

I tried to get a train in Svishtov and then a ride with a trucker,  but no luck. Toilets were scarce as well,  but I spotted a most unusual substitute when I stopped at an abandoned bus stop to heat sone sausage and beans on my little stove. It turns out those who had waited overly long for their buses had made use of what appeared to be a Cold War era abandoned blast/bomb shelter with meter thick concrete walls. I wish I could have taken s photo but it was both too dark and too vast for my flash to illuminate.

I have yet to come across a single Eurovelo sign, so am winging it as I go along. For now,  I'm sticking to the two-lane Bulgarian highway 52, which has very light traffic on it but still has some tremendous,  long grades.

My current plan is to cross into Romania a bit west of here, then hit Belgrade.

This brings things up to date for now. Things are going well, but I'm eager to leave Bulgaria' s long steep hills for flatter lands so I can make some time on the road. I will, however miss it's stunning beauty and gorgeous vistas and extremely nice, friendly people. It really is lovely country for touring, but I'm very grateful for my 36 X 17 Rohloff combo.

All the best,

Dan]
« Last Edit: June 05, 2014, 11:11:37 AM by Danneaux »

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #128 on: June 04, 2014, 07:54:23 PM »
Hi All!

Still alive and doing well,  living the touring life and loving every moment.  

I loved touring in Bulgaria, with its scenic vistas and friendly people.

I am now in northwest Romania and about to enter Serbia on my way to Belgrade. Romania now has a little piece of my heart thanks to its warm and welcoming people.

I've met some other tourists along the way and except for one group all have been stellar, though most have been more confused than I wrt routing. This portion of the Eurovelo6 has no signs and their paper maps lack the enlargement and detail of the ones on my phone. If you're reading this now, a special greeting to Helmut, Wojtek, and Rudolf, from Vienna, Poland, and Slovakia respectively.

The Raven Tour is working brilliantly and the Marathon Deluxe tires are handling the poor road conditions well with 45/40 psi for me and this load. The Rohloff has never missed a shift and the 36 X 17 gearing as I have at home proved it's worth here in the hilly country of Bulgaria and now northwestern Romania. Still happy with drop handlebars and have had no issues with handling or control or shifting using the T-bar mounted shifter. I'm spending 12-14 hours on the road each day and found I could connect some roads by going cross - country with GPS or using farm access tracks. The bike did all well at a touring pace and with the same high care I'd use with my own Nomad.

I do think the Raven Tour is a better all 'round tourer than my Nomad because it is not biased so heavily toward maximum cargo capacity. However, I need the extra expedition grade carriage of Seymour to carry my water and food stores in the desert. For all other more ordinary touring where similar versatility but lesser capacity is needed, then the Raven Tour would be a better choice in my opinion.

Comms are uneven in their cost, quality, and availability. My Verizon international calling plan would sometimes be > USD $3/minute if I used it (it jumps local carriers, Vodaphone Rom is most expensive so far). SMS messages on my home plan are USD $0.50 each. I use wifi whenever it is available...sometimes on the sidewalk outside restaurants I cannot afford. Today in Or?ova, I composed on the sidewalk below the window and raised the phone like a little periscope to window level whenever I needed to reconnect and send. Must've been an interesting effect from inside the restaurant if anyone noticed.

Sleeping mostly and happily in my little green tent in farmer's fields, shielded from the road and passersby by small trees or brush. For me, the compact size of a 1 - person tent is proving it's worth once again in terms of stealth and versatility. I'm in it only to sleep. If I were to spend more time in it, then I might wish for larger but this is fine. It is nice to awaken in my tent or in the open under the stars because both are familiar to me no matter where I go, so I don't have the dislocating feeling of awakening in strange surroundings and my bed is always good.

Though it weighs 1 kg, my Nemo Tuo dual chamber cross - cored pad continues to be a great match for me. It feels like my bed at home...which it nearly is! Several years ago, I gave up on conventional beds and now sleep on the Nemo camp version atop a sheet of plywood, making the bed up as if it had a mattress. No more back troubles and I sleep as well on tour as I do at home. I'm no iron man, just found something that helps me sleep well.

I'm still monitoring the Forum and staying up to date on topics. I miss participating as much, but there's some good discussions.

Best,

Dan.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2014, 09:33:54 PM by Danneaux »

John Saxby

« Reply #129 on: June 04, 2014, 09:01:39 PM »
Splendid report, Dan -- sounds like a wonderful trip!  Safe riding,  John

geocycle

« Reply #130 on: June 05, 2014, 09:25:00 AM »
Thanks for the update.  Got the map out to see how these countries intersect! 

Really looking forward to a RT v Nomad comparison when you return.  Your initial comments confirm my initial views when I opted for a RT, but I've never had the pleasure of riding a nomad.

StuntPilot

• Tour on a Bike
« Reply #131 on: June 05, 2014, 11:06:46 AM »
Good to hear your news Dan! I am following the route with interest. I would second the Raven Tour as a more general expedition touring bike but would have chosen the Nomad if I was specifically heading for more remote or desert touring. My Raven Tour has carried up to 38 kg or gear using front and back panniers and a Ortlieb Rack Pack. It handles that fine but would reduce that weight on rougher terrain or adding several days of water.

Keep us posted when you can! Have fun!
« Last Edit: June 05, 2014, 11:08:25 AM by StuntPilot »

Andre Jute

« Reply #132 on: June 05, 2014, 11:53:45 AM »
Wonderful reports, Dan. I love the images of you as the stealth traveller, under the radar and under the windowsill!

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #133 on: June 05, 2014, 03:34:39 PM »
I am the whisper in the wind, the shadow in the night, Andre.

I'm not even here.

;)

All the best,

Dan. (...who might be camping three meters away -- Ssh!  ;D )

in4

« Reply #134 on: June 06, 2014, 09:28:51 AM »
Ah, its the point at which your training kicks in eh Dan. Operating on a need to know basis, smoke and mirrors, 'you might think that, I couldn't possibly comment' etc. This just outlines the crying need for a stealth raven model; free from footprint, no heat signature and when ridden at warp factor Dan1 invisible to the naked eye! Enjoy yourself Dan but hey, be careful out there!  :) ;)