Author Topic: Club Tour frames still available?  (Read 37705 times)

leftpoole

Re: Club Tour frames still available?
« Reply #45 on: December 12, 2013, 08:47:17 am »
The fork in question is ghastly. Anyone can ride any bike as a Tourer, But a real quality bike with a decent fork is best.
John
« Last Edit: December 12, 2013, 10:02:23 am by leftpoole »

il padrone

« Reply #46 on: December 12, 2013, 09:09:08 am »
Ghastly is all down to personal taste. As an example, I personally find Thorn's font pannier rack really ghastly. Could not insult the lines of my bike with such ironmongery that is rather excessive IMHO. I prefer the curves and minimalism of the Tubus Duo.

But I fully acknowledge, that is just my taste. The rack works very well by all accounts.

Relayer

« Reply #47 on: December 12, 2013, 10:39:36 am »
I agree that the "ghastly" fork isn't as pretty as those on the Club Tour, but in my opinion the performance of cantilever brakes is definitely ghastly in comparison with disc brakes. I would happily use those forks, and they are actually prettier than the bog straight forks on one of my bikes.

I also agree with Il Padrone that the Thorn front rack (and for me the rear expedition rack as well) is a step too far in 'function over form', +1 for Tubus.

Getting back OT I think the Club Tour is a very nice bike and if I could only have one bike it would be very near the top of my list, but alas it seems it is to be no more, at least in its current form.

Cheers.
Jim

in4

« Reply #48 on: December 12, 2013, 11:26:34 am »
Is that a silk road model?

horizon

« Reply #49 on: December 12, 2013, 11:58:33 am »

Getting back OT I think the Club Tour is a very nice bike and if I could only have one bike it would be very near the top of my list, but alas it seems it is to be no more, at least in its current form.

Cheers.
Jim

The SJS website if I am right has "ghost" panels now for the new Mark 4 Club tour frames. These will be in gunmetal grey and red/blue diagonals. Siziing appears to be different as well. No further details apart from price - £499 for the frame as opposed to £489 currently for frame and forks. Given the above posts it is hard to see Thorn not making provision for at least some disc braking and the rest of the frame one could reasonably expect to be in the Thorn tradition.

Except for the colours ...  >:(

Thorn do an amazing blue and an amazing red - everyone seems to like them. Why combine them? I know they've done it before but I think that's ghastly!

Swislon

« Reply #50 on: December 12, 2013, 02:11:28 pm »
I tried to indicate there was a revised Club Tour on the way in this thread:

http://www.thorncycles.co.uk/forums/index.php?topic=7807.15

I spoke to Andy Blance at the time but didn't want to steal his or Thorn's thunder by blabbing too much. Andy didn't ask me not to but it
seemed to me that I wouldn't do it justice having only had a few minutes discussion. Enough time though for me to decide I would wait for the frames to arrive and order one!

Steve

leftpoole

« Reply #51 on: December 12, 2013, 04:09:45 pm »
The SJS website if I am right has "ghost" panels now for the new Mark 4 Club tour frames. These will be in gunmetal grey and red/blue diagonals. Siziing appears to be different as well. No further details apart from price - £499 for the frame as opposed to £489 currently for frame and forks. Given the above posts it is hard to see Thorn not making provision for at least some disc braking and the rest of the frame one could reasonably expect to be in the Thorn tradition.

Except for the colours ...  >:(

Thorn do an amazing blue and an amazing red - everyone seems to like them. Why combine them? I know they've done it before but I think that's ghastly!

Whilst commenting about other brands I feel that my comment regarding tge lump of MTB steel fork above may be fairly polite? The facts are clear, MTB heavy duty forks are tough but heavy. A real tourer has real tourer equipment. Any MTB can be toured on as in fact can folding bikes. But a Thorn tourer is a properly built if somewhat overpriced frameset.

honesty

« Reply #52 on: December 12, 2013, 04:28:38 pm »
saw on in the shop today, rear disk mount on the frame, no sign of a front one though. very nice in grey, but didn't see the other colours. They said they are working on the PDF at the moment. Have to say, it looked really nice in grey though!

horizon

« Reply #53 on: December 12, 2013, 05:48:05 pm »
So they've landed then!

Swislon

« Reply #54 on: December 12, 2013, 06:17:02 pm »
I am expecting a call from the lovely Lisa when they are ready to sell me one!
The other colours are arriving later I believe.
New front disc enabled fork will be available for those that way inclined.

I think I will be going for a rear disc and front Vbrake myself.

Steve

jags

« Reply #55 on: December 12, 2013, 06:59:53 pm »
is there a link to these bikes.

honesty

« Reply #56 on: December 12, 2013, 07:11:29 pm »
Not yet. They said they are working on the pdf and it should be available in the next few weeks.

jags

« Reply #57 on: December 12, 2013, 07:39:19 pm »
 ;) ah no problem keeping us all on the edge. ;D

during the tour magnus backsteed (sorry about the spelling)was asked whats the next big thing in bike design he said disc brakes, but at the moment there way to heavy.
but he reckoned in the next few years  all the pros would be riding bikes with disc brakes and at the speed those guys travel they will need them.i'm safe enough no bother stopping at 10mph in any condition.

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #58 on: December 18, 2013, 05:18:01 pm »
Hi All!

First photo of the new Mk4 Club Tour being assembled in the Thorn Workshop on their Twitter feed here: https://twitter.com/Thorn_Cycles/status/413272716095922176/photo/1/large?utm_source=fb&utm_medium=fb&utm_campaign=SJSCycles&utm_content=413273397708472320

Looks very tasty indeed. Check out the contoured chainstays, reminiscent of those on the Mercury. Nicely extended head tube. Installed rear disc looks good and -- oh!  -- the gunmetal color! Very nice.

Best,

Dan.

jags

« Reply #59 on: December 18, 2013, 06:06:19 pm »
is there a price on the frameset .whats different on it besides chainstays is it lighter tubing tighter angles  or more relaxed, bigger range of colours more expensive or cheaper  ::)
thanks for that link Dan intereted to see a lot more photos.

jags.