Author Topic: Club Tour frames still available?  (Read 37716 times)

peter jenkins

Re: Club Tour frames still available?
« Reply #15 on: October 17, 2013, 11:47:57 am »
Hi John,

I don't want to disappoint you re your statement
I defy anyone to get toe overlap on a Club Tour
...but. I have a 517L Club Tour and my size 44 shoes do actually (but only just) overlap the guard.

It's never created a problem for me, but I would think that if my shoes were a size larger or if I were using toe clips it would be a potential issue. (I'm using SPD's)

If Dan can instruct me on the art of uploading photos, I can post a pic.

Best Regards,

pj

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #16 on: October 17, 2013, 05:28:54 pm »
If Dan can instruct me on the art of uploading photos, I can post a pic.
Hi Peter!

I've written a little tutorial on how to attach or embed photos here: http://www.thorncycles.co.uk/forums/index.php?topic=4313.0

I'll be available by PM or email later today if you still have questions on the process. It is easy once one gets the hang of it. I'm looking forward to those photos!

All the best,

Dan.

leftpoole

« Reply #17 on: October 17, 2013, 06:20:09 pm »
Hi John,

I don't want to disappoint you re your statement ...but. I have a 517L Club Tour and my size 44 shoes do actually (but only just) overlap the guard.

Hello!
OK there must be a minority of exeptions as obviously you ride a pretty small but have fairly large shoes for your size?
I ride a 555S Club Tour with size 43 shoes and have miles of toe space.
I ride a 550 Audax and have loads of toe overlap which I do not particularly like.
Thanks for your post.
Best regards,
John

honesty

« Reply #18 on: October 17, 2013, 06:31:18 pm »
John do you know the weight of the club tour frame? I know the audax frame only is 2.3kg and it would be interesting to see how it compares.

leftpoole

« Reply #19 on: October 18, 2013, 10:04:14 am »
John do you know the weight of the club tour frame? I know the audax frame only is 2.3kg and it would be interesting to see how it compares.

Hello,
Sorry I have no idea other than its heavier but does not seem a great deal particularly when riding. Just more cumbersome steering at first, after riding the Audax for some time.
John

peter jenkins

« Reply #20 on: October 19, 2013, 08:35:17 am »

Hi Gents,

Specs are here:

http://www.thorncycles.co.uk/thornpdf/CP189ClubTourTest_Bike2.pdf

But I suppose it might depend on frame size?

Best Regards,

pj

peter jenkins

« Reply #21 on: October 19, 2013, 08:36:44 am »
I've written a little tutorial on how to attach or embed photos here: http://www.thorncycles.co.uk/forums/index.php?topic=4313.0

Thanks Dan,

I will be prepared next time.

Best Regards,

pj

janeh

« Reply #22 on: October 20, 2013, 02:33:05 pm »
I thought Thorn say in their brochures that they will not put disc brakes on a frame with steel forks?

Jane

bike_the_planet

« Reply #23 on: October 21, 2013, 03:18:23 am »
I have  a Club Tour, size 620S and I am delighted with it. It is not particularly light but I am impressed with its stability when loaded - to me, Thorn bikes have always been very good in that regard. It makes a great all-rounder.

WRT  front wheel/toe clearance , I am 6' 3" with large 'plates of meat' (UK size 12) and, using cleats I have no toe overlap. There is still just adequate clearance between mudguard and front tyres (Marathon 32-622) on the Club Tour. Personally I think an increase of front-centre measurement of maybe 5-10mm wouldn't do any harm but I also realise that this sort of bike is built as a compromise between reasonable handling both loaded and unloaded.

Although I respect Thorn's pedigree in designing good touring bikes, I don't agree with the idea that steel forks and discs are incompatible. Steel disc forks just need to be designed differently compared to traditional crowned, taper-bladed forks to take into account the different forces at play. Plenty of reputable manufacturers and custom builders of touring bikes offer these now, and the next few years will almost certainly see most road bikes sold with disc brakes as standard.

I'll be interested to see what the new bike looks like.

honesty

« Reply #24 on: October 21, 2013, 09:29:03 am »
Hi Gents,

Specs are here:

http://www.thorncycles.co.uk/thornpdf/CP189ClubTourTest_Bike2.pdf

But I suppose it might depend on frame size?

Best Regards,

pj

Thats interesting as its saying the club tour frame is the same weight as the audax frame. Good find!

bike_the_planet

« Reply #25 on: October 21, 2013, 10:30:52 am »
Thats interesting as its saying the club tour frame is the same weight as the audax frame. Good find!

But that review was dated 2006.

My 2011 CT had beefier chain and seat stays than my wife's earlier 2005  model and had double eyeleted Everest (??) forged dropouts with stainless steel inserts.

Loaded up it is extremely stable, so I'm sure it has heavier gauge tubing than the Audax, therefore it'll be heavier.

Given that it is rated the same as their 26" wheel Sherpa for max luggage, if memory serves, then  I would assume it weighs a similar amount.

Cheers,

Tony

peter jenkins

« Reply #26 on: October 22, 2013, 03:55:30 am »
That's interesting as its saying the club tour frame is the same weight as the audax frame. Good find!

I really like my Club Tour, but it's a bit heavy for Audax rides. To be fair, I bought it specifically for a couple of tours in the UK for which it was the dog's bollocks. It morphed into an Audax and commuter bike when it came to Australia.

From memory, the Audax fork is considerably lighter. (particularly the new optional version)

I wonder if it's worth buying an Audax fork to replace the CT one?

Or would the geometry be compromised?

Dan?..... Dan?  Are you there, Dan?

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #27 on: October 22, 2013, 07:35:32 am »
Dan?..... Dan?  Are you there, Dan?
Right here, Peter!  ;D

To see what effect changes in trail can have on handling (specific to my late Sherpa, but the same principles wrt to trail apply to other frame/fork/tire combinations as well), see my article titled "Sherpa handling, Sherpa hacking, and a little bicycle science" here: http://www.thorncycles.co.uk/forums/index.php?topic=4245.0

-  -  -  -  -  -  -

Looking at the SJS Cycles website, I see the older (discontinued) Club Tour forks are available in rakes of 50mm and 55mm; I don't see them in current stock. See: http://www.sjscycles.co.uk/page/find/?name=Thorn%20club%20tour%20fork&page=1

I see the standard Audax Mk3 forks (matte black; sizes are more limited in other colors) are available in rakes of 43, 46, 50, and 55mm. See: http://www.sjscycles.co.uk/thorn-audax-mk3-1-1-8-inch-ahead-steel-fork-matt-black-prod27193/ Depending on your current Club Tour rake, I would expect an Audax fork of the same rake to handle much the same as your present CT fork. Changing to a different rake would change trail and therefore your bicycle's handling.

Please note, the forks referenced above are the standard-issue ones. According to the Audax brochure ( http://www.sjscycles.com/thornpdf/Thorn_Audax_Mk3.pdf pg.4), there are two optional forks. One is an 853c, described by Andy Blance thusly...
Reynolds made the 853c blades and lightweight 853 steerer especially for us Reynolds even made the tooling for the tight-radius bend that I’d requested. These are a premium product offered at a premium price.

853c forks, with a 46mm offset, are suitable for [Audax Mk3] sizes 525, 550, 570 and 600, they’re available in Matt Black, Blue, Red and Gunmetal Imron.  853c forks, with a 52mm offset, suitable for sizes 495S and 555S are only available in Matt Black or Gunmetal. 
NOTE 853c forks allow direct fitting of mudguards but they don’t have lo-loader bosses. As reliable as they are, you must never try to fit a front carrier to them.  The tight-radius bends flex beautifully and I didn’t want a mudguard boss brazed on the bend, therefore we recommend that you use an SKS Secu clip. Max tyre size with mudguards 28c.

Weight 805g with steerer cut to 300mm.  (Steerer weighs 0.71g per mm and is 380mm at full length). 2 x 5mm bosses for the direct mounting of mudguards.
There is a second optional fork made of carbon fiber which Andy Blance describes this way...
We have a carbon fork available, which works well with the geometry of all the Mk3 frame sizes, apart from sizes 495S and 555S.

This carbon fork can save up to 400g* We are in two minds about recommending a carbon fork because the trouble with carbon is that you can’t necessarily see when it has been damaged by an impact.  (* Depending upon steerer length.)

We’d only advise you to choose the carbon fork upgrade, if you never lend the bike to anybody and if you’re also prepared to destroy and dispose of the carbon fork responsibly, if it’s ever subjected to an impact.
Peter, your question is much the same one jags asked when he was pondering a carbon fork in hopes of making his Sherpa lighter and more lively.

It is my feeling a carbon or lightweight steel fork *in the same rake* will make a bike lighter overall and can often change the *feel* of the bike by being more flexible or by having better shock-damping characteristics or a tighter bend for the same rake, but so long as the actual rake is identical to your present fork, the *handling* should remain the same. If you change the fork rake and keep the frame's same head angle, then you are effectively changing trail, and that would affect handling.

I would suggest contacting SJS Cycles/Thorn and asking this same question. They really are very good at providing solid answers, and Andy Blance is surprisingly available to give the Designer's Word on what will work or not, either directly or through staff via their email responses to queries.

If you are curious as to how a fork with different rake *might* affect your bike's handling, you must first accurately determine your head tube angle and the rake of your current fork. From these, you can determine your current trail using one of the online trail calculators references at my "Sherpa handling, Sherpa hacking" link above. You can then plug-in the rake of the fork(s) you are considering and the calculator will spit out the trail of that new combo for comparison to your present fork/frame trail. You can then check the result against my trail-based handling descriptions in that same article for a prediction of how your bike might be expected to ride with the new fork.

A number of people ask me the same question each year, and most have found the proven course to making a heavier bike feel both faster and more lively is to fit it with a pair of lighter wheels and tires. The reduced rotating mass at the outside of the wheel will accelerate faster and will feel (and be) more responsive. Often, lighter tires are also narrower. Given the common near-1:1 height/width profile of bike tires, those same narrow tires will affect handling a bit also by being lower, typically resulting in less trail. If you're used to running your Club Tour on wider/higher profile tires, you can make it more stable and resistant to rider input at lower speeds and a bit less stable/more vague at high speeds by switching to narrower/lower tires (most suitable when riding unladen on good roads).

A heavier, touring-oriented bike can be made lighter and/or more lively in feel to a degree by changing the fork or wheels/tires, but there is ultimately only so much you can do as the die has been cast with frame geometry, materials, and tube diameter and wall thickness; it will still be a touring bike at heart, rather than a true Audax bike. That said, my Audax (randonneur) bicycle started life as a tourer, and with the addition of fairly light but very strong wheels (Mavic 20.3mm MA-2 rims, Phil Wood hubs, 36-1.8mm spokes, lightweight tubes and 32mm road slicks), has become my favorite all-'rounder and long-distance day-rider, carrying me comfortably on mountainous 400K day rides and snaps off 300K runs like clockwork, never leaving me feeling achey or beat-up afterwards. I can tour on very rough gravel roads with a pretty reasonable maximum load of 25kg and come out fine.

It might be worth borrowing a set of lighter wheels/tubes/tires to try on your Club Tour to see how much difference it makes for Audax rides.

I hope this helps.

All the best,

Dan.

peter jenkins

« Reply #28 on: October 22, 2013, 08:28:55 am »
Right here, Peter!

Dan... he who never sleeps, apparently.

Thanks Dan for your speedy and (as usual) comprehensive and comprehensible response.

I really must try to borrow some lighter wheels. I have 2 other 700C bikes with lighter wheels than the CT, but they are Campag equipped and don't play well with the Shimano group set. (also 8 speed and 10 speed vs the CT's 9 speed)

Cheers,

pj

honesty

« Reply #29 on: October 22, 2013, 09:11:40 am »
Ive always thought something like this: http://www.columbustubi.com/eng/4_2_11.htm would be a good upgrade, but the rake is 45mm, so there will be some deadening of the ride if I understand things correctly. Less offset, means greater trail means more stable handling I think...
« Last Edit: October 22, 2013, 09:28:14 am by honesty »