Author Topic: Club Tour frames still available?  (Read 37713 times)

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
Re: Club Tour frames still available?
« Reply #60 on: December 18, 2013, 06:14:25 pm »
Brochure's coming soon, Jags; we'll know much more when it arrives.

All the best,

Dan.

horizon

« Reply #61 on: December 18, 2013, 08:26:29 pm »
is there a price on the frameset .whats different on it besides chainstays is it lighter tubing tighter angles  or more relaxed, bigger range of colours more expensive or cheaper  ::)
thanks for that link Dan intereted to see a lot more photos.

jags.

Price and sizes are on the sjs website.

jags

« Reply #62 on: December 18, 2013, 09:52:43 pm »
i looked but can't find it have you a link to that please. ;)

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #63 on: December 18, 2013, 10:09:51 pm »
Here y'go, jags:

For the gunmetal Imron one: http://www.sjscycles.co.uk/thorn-club-tour-mk4-frame-gunmetal-imron-prod32709/

For the "R&B" Imron one: http://www.sjscycles.co.uk/thorn-club-tour-mk4-frame-randb-imron-prod32710/

Dunno if "R&B" means "Red & Blue" or possibly "Red & Black" bi-colored on the same frame, as has been used on Audaxes in the past, or if it indicates Red *or* Blue (or Black) self-colored (all one color) frames.

Can't wait to find out!

Best,

Dan. (...who loves the suspense awaiting introduction of each new Thorn model)

jags

« Reply #64 on: December 18, 2013, 10:37:02 pm »
Thanks Dan £499=600euro plus postage plus quick devorce ::)

emm  have to think about this one  ;)

peter jenkins

« Reply #65 on: December 19, 2013, 04:24:17 am »
Interesting... smallest size is now 520.

Mine is 517(L) and I'm sure there was a smaller one available.

Presumably, the geometry has altered so the 520 suits smaller riders who would previously have opted for the 517.

Or... smaller sizes are not yet in production

Or... shorter riders need not apply.

No doubt all will be revealed.

OH! the suspense!!

pj

honesty

« Reply #66 on: December 19, 2013, 09:08:52 am »
Its red and blue, and they said it was the classic colour scheme which I take to mean to same as the ones on the mercury frame.

leftpoole

« Reply #67 on: December 19, 2013, 09:41:04 am »
Hello,
I believe from viewing size charts for a number of Thorn bikes, that the 'new' Club Tour sizes are or could be the same as a Mercury.
This is 'presumeably' a cheap way of building 'handbuilt in Taiwan' frames to suit all (and sundry no doubt'?). Rationalising is a term I have read from Thorn previously, which my interpretation means to suit and our manufacturing process. If a few sizes are lost it means a few customers lost, but the greater majority are suited. This in my opinion is totally against all that Thorn once stood for which was 'we have bikes to fit all'!
The addition if it is so, of dreadful disc brakes is another option which once was scorned. I think the changes are simply messing about to try to 'recruit' more customers. Change colours change sizes (?) and add bits........
I am looking forward to seeing a Club Tour in my favourite Red and Blue colours if tastefully done.
Before anyone suggests, I am not going to buy a 'new' Club Tour, the one I own is perfect!!
Have a great Christian Christmas and a Happy new year.
John
« Last Edit: December 19, 2013, 09:44:24 am by leftpoole »

Relayer

« Reply #68 on: December 19, 2013, 09:43:01 am »
saw on in the shop today, rear disk mount on the frame, no sign of a front one though. very nice in grey, but didn't see the other colours. They said they are working on the PDF at the moment. Have to say, it looked really nice in grey though!

It looks as though there are 3 fork options:-

"ST-700" which I would guess is a 'super tourist' standard touring fork with canti / v-brake and low loader bosses.

"MERVC 853" which is a lightweight 853 fork as per the Mercury brochure, with canti / v-brake bosses, but without low loader bosses.

http://www.sjscycles.co.uk/700c-thorn-mervc-853-steel-fork-retro-black-prod30604/

and "Steel Disc" which will be very interesting to see!

Lots of nice options there.

Jim
« Last Edit: December 19, 2013, 04:40:39 pm by Relayer »

Swislon

« Reply #69 on: December 19, 2013, 11:11:46 am »
Spoke to Lisa yesterday but decided to wait for brochure before I put my order in.
Big decision is going to be 10 speed or 9 speed with bar end shifters.
I've seen the other thread on 10 speed and the brochure's "standard" build will be 10 speed.
Until I knew that I was going 9 speed. Now I'm not so sure.

I know I will go for the gunmetal imron but what colour components black or my prefered silver?
This is too stressful..................... ;D

geocycle

« Reply #70 on: December 19, 2013, 01:29:22 pm »
Anyone know why the Mercury frames are so much more expensive than the club tour?  Have I missed something?

Dave Whittle Thorn Workshop

• Thorn Cycles
« Reply #71 on: December 19, 2013, 01:48:47 pm »
Anyone know why the Mercury frames are so much more expensive than the club tour?  Have I missed something?

In a nutshell its 853 vs 725, custom made eccentric's vs standard bb shell, custom made dropouts vs standard dropouts.  All this adds up.

Hope this helps.

geocycle

« Reply #72 on: December 19, 2013, 02:07:07 pm »
In a nutshell its 853 vs 725, custom made eccentric's vs standard bb shell, custom made dropouts vs standard dropouts.  All this adds up.

Hope this helps.

Thanks, I was missing something!

jags

« Reply #73 on: December 19, 2013, 05:15:38 pm »
Those 853 forks are bloody expensive, the way these bikes are going up in price a fella would want to take out a second mortgage to buy one.
mind you i suppose it gives a fella good bragging rights when someone asks how much did you pay for your bike.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2013, 02:45:32 pm by jags »

honesty

« Reply #74 on: December 19, 2013, 08:34:26 pm »
It's not a Thorn specific thing that, cycle prices and cycle parts prices are going up across the board. You just need to look at successive year models from large manufacturers, Dawes galaxy for example, and see the slow degradation of spec year on year to keep the model in the same price bracket.