Author Topic: What's your favourite Brooks saddle?  (Read 16660 times)

SPINNERS

What's your favourite Brooks saddle?
« on: December 13, 2005, 01:53:54 pm »
I've used Rolls saddles since I started cycling in the early 90's and although I've never had a problem with them I fancy giving Brooks a go and have a standard-width B17 coming this week.

What's your view?

paulhipwood

Re: What's your favourite Brooks saddle?
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2005, 08:10:37 pm »
Hi

I have a B72 which I use on my Moulton and find it very comfortable.
I have a Dahon this has a Club professional, this is also very good.
I do not know why the two saddles are so good when they are completly different shapes but I am not complaining.
paul

Dude

« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2005, 09:56:09 pm »
I have got three black Swift that i find work for all kind of riding. Touring, Mtb, and even roadracing! Two I bought for pennies secondhand from folks that gave up to early (and made my job much more easy!)! See, it takes a dedicated cyclist to break in the lether, but I belive there is a "pre-softend" version available for...softies ;). But I have read in forums that many find that they fit right away so I guess it is individual.

When you choose a sadle you first need narrow down what type of riding it shall be used for and what position you use when you ride: aero = very narrow sadle, upright = wider model, maybe springs!
I belive that if one ride alot it is best to go for a narrower type, because it is not only the sadel gets broken in...;)
Sheldon has more info:
http://www.sheldonbrown.com/harris/saddles.html
« Last Edit: December 13, 2005, 10:00:59 pm by Dude »

Cephas

« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2005, 08:24:21 am »
B17 Champion Specials have always worked for me. No break in required.

If there is a painful break in period, you might have the wrong saddle. Leather will conform to your anatomy over time, but if it hurts from the beginning then it's your tush that's breaking in, not the leather. I usually go along with Sheldon's advice, but I think his soaking the saddle in oil is overkill.

Motty

« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2005, 10:03:16 am »

I have three Brooks Team Pro so that must be my favorite [:D]

Richard

ahconway

« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2005, 08:41:37 pm »
I have a basic B17 in honey on my Raven - love it! I used a dozen different saddles over the course of a decade or so on my previous bike and never found one I really liked. I was in love with this Brooks from the start - the breaking-in bit didn't even bother me too much.

Now the colour has darkened a bit particularly where it's most worn, which for some reason reminds me of a Gibson Les Paul in the Honey Burst finish.

NZPeterG

• It's Great to Be Alive! Again! Go Cycle. . . . . .
    • Kiwi Pete's Cycling Safari
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2013, 07:47:53 am »
Well I just find this Posting about which Brooks Saddle is Your Favourite?

So for Me it's a FLYER SPECIAL My one is over 4 years old and its Love to My Bum  ;)

I do have a few more Brooks Saddles  :o some I do not like and A new on is just waiting on a Bike to come along  ::)

Here are the Brooks I have some need selling off!

Swallow 2005 Limited Edition still new and I must sell it off on day @ the right price  :-\

Team Professional Chrome this was my 2nd Brooks (Sorry to have Sold my 1st) date from about late 1990's?

Swift Titanium I do not like this saddle! I have had my Bum on this Saddle for Miles and Miles and still no Love  :(

B17 Select World Traveller my 2nd Limited Edition just got second hand But New never been on a bike, this is the one waiting on a bike to be used  8)

Flyer Special this is on my "Tom" and staying on! its Love  ;D

So how about you all? which Brooks do you all like?

Pete  ;)

The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common[

http://kiwipetesadventures.tumblr.com/

http://kiwipetescyclingsafari.blogspot.co.nz/

Looked after by Chris @ http://www.puresports.co.nz/
For all your Rohloff and Thorn Bicycle's in NZ

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2013, 08:05:32 am »
Hi Pete!

I have a beautiful chrome-railed honey B.17 Champion Special I like, but my real favorites are several B.17 Standards. I have several I've re-riveted with larger copper rivets, but I like the standard steel rivets now the plating has been improved in recent years and they are far more rust-resistant. They do vary in feel and comfort from example to example...I much prefer the harder ones, as they remain dome-shaped a bit longer. I've several that are just barely broken in that I need to sell, as they are no longer my preferred shape and are a bit too soft for me.

I had a Champion Flyer, but we didn't get along too well and it was sold on. I think it was most likely a problem with my individual sample, as even the leather looked very different from usual. Did well, though. Bought it for around USD$64 and sold it for about USD$164; the buyer was ecstatic...and so was the seller! I may try another some day.

Best,

Dan.

NZPeterG

« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2013, 09:29:29 am »
Hi Dan
Very good here is some think to help the ball rolling  :P

The Top View

Left:485                Mid:1977 (year of the King)   Right: how cares?

Two Limited Edition Brooks has to be One too many?

Pete  ;)

« Last Edit: May 17, 2013, 09:33:25 am by NZPeterG »

Matt2matt2002

« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2013, 09:41:27 am »
I am humbled yet again. First it was the unicycle, now the Brooks.

I inherited a B17 when Andy kindly sold me his Raven.
And what a fantastic fit. I never want to get off it.
Back metal logo has gone rusty but leather in perfect shape.
Hope it looks after me on my long tour next year.
  :)
Never drink and drive. You may hit a bump  and spill your drink

NZPeterG

« Reply #10 on: May 17, 2013, 10:05:04 am »
Come on I'm just the guy next door.

I got my 1st Brooks in 1987's and only sold it because the guy buying my old Road Racing (super light Touring) bike would only buy it if I left the Brooks on! It had a hard life cycle touring in loads of Rain in the U.K.

I order the Swallow 2005 Limited Edition thinking it was just a STD Brooks Swallow! it was on order for over a year as Brooks NZ man forgot to order it a few times  8) I was going to put it on my Mountain Bike at the time! Only to have my LBS (at the time) say it was to good to go onto my MTB? and that it was a Limited Edition?? so It has just sat on my bookcase . . . waiting to Sale when the price goes up?

The Brooks B17 Select World Traveller is to be used because of things that make 2012 a good year to be alive!

Pete . . .   8)

« Last Edit: May 17, 2013, 10:06:55 am by NZPeterG »

Andre Jute

« Reply #11 on: May 17, 2013, 01:54:16 pm »
B73. Helical spring at each corner. Degenerate comfort. -- Andre Jute

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #12 on: May 17, 2013, 04:15:49 pm »
Aw, Pete! What a marvelous collection, and I'm so happy someone has it who appreciates the saddles!

I do love seeing that Brooks B17 Select World Traveller. And, I do wish it came in, say, Black with a silver impress! Ooh, if it did, one *would* find a perch atop the Nomad!

A couple people have asked me why I didn't get along with the Flyer I owned and then sold on. I wanted to like it, but the core problem is I prefer to ride with a 45° back angle while atop my drop 'bars' brake hoods, and with my light spinning cadence, I just wasn't loading the springs firmly enough to feel any of their effect. Nothing against the saddle...it just wasn't a match for my position and because of that, had no more "spring" than the B17 Standard's rigid frame (disappointment). If I rode more upright, it would have been ideal. What I probably should have done was to look for softer springs among Brooks' spares to substitute -- that would have been just the ticket.

You did a kind thing posting those photos, Pete. I've already gone back for "just one more look" several times now! Real beauties, those! Good on ya!

Best,

Dan.

jags

« Reply #13 on: May 17, 2013, 08:14:35 pm »
Well i only have the one brook's  it's the green b17 special with copper rails and rivets .
great saddle out of the box ,on my raleigh i have the fizik alanti another master[piece but it was expensive ,my son bought it for me when he raced in Belgium ,i think he pain 160euro for it  ::)

lovely collection there pete ;)

John Saxby

« Reply #14 on: May 18, 2013, 03:46:53 am »
Fabulous collection, Pete -- we're in the domain of wants now, eh?  But one could do a whole lot worse... 

Clearly no answer to the question, "How many Brooks can one man cross?"  :-)

I have just the one, a Premium (I think it is) -- nice dark brown with copper rivets.

I's so good I don't ever think about it when I'm riding; but I often look at it and think, "Jeez, that looks just right."

J.