Author Topic: Remember to check the saddle adjustment screw!  (Read 1599 times)

ZeroBike

Remember to check the saddle adjustment screw!
« on: May 17, 2013, 04:04:46 pm »
I was riding along yesterday and I was thinking, "hey this Brooks saddle is finally broken in correctly, its perfect, it really is comfortable, its taken ages to get it right but hey its there....."

All of a sudden the saddle tilts completely backwards, a car is overtaking me and I panicked, in the way that you do when something unexpected happens and you are clipped into the pedals, I braked and the roadside leg came free but the curbside one was still firmly attached to the pedal.

I wasn't going that fast and there was a grass verge next to me so I decided to just ditch into it!!!

I wasn't hurt but my pride was dented a bit.

I had a set of Allen Keys with me so was able to fix it, although it took maybe 3 or 4 attempts totaling about 20 minutes as I have a SQR system that also had to be taken off to get access to the screw.  Every time I thought Id got it set correctly Id ride about 100m and decide it wasn't.

The timing of it all was just so ironic!

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
Re: Remember to check the saddle adjustment screw!
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2013, 04:24:04 pm »
Boy, Zero! A lot was packed into those few moments. A bit like Life, really, where one is happily noodling along and then, suddenly -- !  :o

Surely glad you weren't hurt. A friend who was a one-time deputy sheriff got out of his car one day (passenger side, using the radio at a traffic stop) and caught his foot between car and curb, snapping his ankle. I always kinda think of that when I can't get the curbside cleat free quickly enough. Thank goodness you had that grassy verge at the ready. Good planning!  ;)

Oh! Re-reading...was this the screw for seatpost's saddle-rail clamp? A good reminder to all...

All the best,

Dan. (...who's really glad you're okay After)

ZeroBike

Re: Remember to check the saddle adjustment screw!
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2013, 04:43:01 pm »
Thanks

It wasn't the seatpost clamp its the screw underneath the saddle, I think that's the saddle rail.  I never thought to check it before and it's blocked by the SQR adapter that's attached to the seatpost, so I never bothered before.