Author Topic: looking for link to best light  (Read 27127 times)

jags

Re: looking for link to best light
« Reply #45 on: August 08, 2013, 11:20:37 pm »
Andre i think we are all conditioned to buying the very best there is when really we dont really need it.
when you think about the headlights of 10 years back you have to admit there were  pretty useless, where as todays  mid priced dynamo lights are excellent even with the hot spot.
i'm not really worried about my (YOUR) light lighting up the entire road ahead of me as long as i can see 50 ft that will do me fine.
as far as cost goes i'm one of these fellas that don't worry about money, mainly because i don't have any  ::) but if i see something i want and  i have the dosh then cost just doesn't come into it, i'm 60 years young if i won the lottery i can nearly guarantee you in the time i have left on this planet i would spend the lot.
the only thing i'm missing on my sherpa is a charging system something like ewerk or plug 2 imaging haveing a bike like that 20 years ago  ,it can't get any better can it.
sorry andre i'm rambling again.oh to have a brain ??? ;D ;D

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #46 on: August 09, 2013, 12:30:45 am »
A lot of wisdom in your words, jags. A lot.

All the best,

Dan.

il padrone

« Reply #47 on: August 09, 2013, 06:26:49 am »
I do tend to agree with jags' philiosophy. I will add:

1. My Cyo headlight becomes bright enough to light the way quite well at walking speed (actually walking) and is at what I'd gauge as full brightness definitely by 10kmh

2. The Cyo (and presumably the Luxos) beam horizon is set in the light's optics. It's easy to raise it a bit by raising the tilt of your lamp.

3. Personally, when riding around on streets I don't have any concerns about overhead branches so the B&M beam shape works very well for me.

Cheers
Pete

No

« Reply #48 on: August 09, 2013, 07:35:50 am »
Andre i think we are all conditioned to buying the very best there is when really we dont really need it.
when you think about the headlights of 10 years back you have to admit there were  pretty useless, where as todays  mid priced dynamo lights are excellent even with the hot spot.
i'm not really worried about my (YOUR) light lighting up the entire road ahead of me as long as i can see 50 ft that will do me fine.
as far as cost goes i'm one of these fellas that don't worry about money, mainly because i don't have any  ::) but if i see something i want and  i have the dosh then cost just doesn't come into it, i'm 60 years young if i won the lottery i can nearly guarantee you in the time i have left on this planet i would spend the lot.
the only thing i'm missing on my sherpa is a charging system something like ewerk or plug 2 imaging haveing a bike like that 20 years ago  ,it can't get any better can it.
sorry andre i'm rambling again.oh to have a brain ??? ;D ;D

If you ride snake and skunk infested roads, you need a WIDE light. NEED.

jags

« Reply #49 on: August 09, 2013, 09:55:40 am »
i ride quiet a few streets like that but there the too legged  type  ;)

il padrone

« Reply #50 on: August 09, 2013, 12:20:03 pm »
If you ride snake and skunk infested roads, you need a WIDE light. NEED.

Check Peter White's excellent photos. The Luxos U certainly fits the bill on this count - so wide he had to change his very strict photo standards for lights and go from a 45mm (51 deg field of view), to a 24mm (84 deg), to a 16mm (108 deg) lens to get it all in.

Andre Jute

« Reply #51 on: August 09, 2013, 05:45:10 pm »

Sticking to the Luxos, in addition to the problems with the hotspot I've covered, the light isn't waterproof in common use. What use is a bicycle lamp that you have to keep under covers when two drops of rain fall? The thing is poorly designed.

There are also reports of the electronics that switch the beams going gaga. That's a danger to your life.

On top of all this (enough already to give me a cramp in the cheque-writing finger) there is the apparently non-replaceable battery the life of which, given the likely partial charge/discharge pattern, won't be three years.

So what you have here is a badly designed, disposable lamp -- for a huge price. It simply isn't "the very best there is". Not by many miles.

When I pay for German engineering, I expect to receive German engineering, not a lamp designed and made in Bongo-Bongo.

Opinions may differ, but mine is logical, rational and defensible point by point. What's more, these are disabilities with a history in the BUMM line, of which BUMM has been made aware time and again; at this length of time, we must conclude that BUMM has no interest in fixing these disabling shortcomings on the Luxos, as their cheap makeshift of changing the instruction sheet to tell customers to angle the switch differently indicates. Ugh!

BUMM's hangers-on and fan-boys react savagely to the least criticism. But I'm not impressionable at all, totally immune to the image BUMM wants to project when the reality isn't there. Advice here from Dan and me to Jags to wait until we knew more about the Luxos now seems prescient.

You can buy many better lamps, and they cost less.

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #52 on: August 09, 2013, 06:20:59 pm »
For a headlight with USB charging built-in and at comparably very good price, Rualexander's AXA Nano looks a very good value at ~65 Euro. Full thread with his extended reports here: http://www.thorncycles.co.uk/forums/index.php?topic=4121.0

The latest top-of line in the series is the AXA Nano 50Plus with beam-shaping: http://www.axa-nano.com/

If one doesn't need charging, the Philips Saferide 60 does pretty well in providing a nice beam and is reliable now it comes fitted with an uprated mounting bracket.

Best,

Dan. (...who has seen the light and simply loves bright ideas)

triaesthete

« Reply #53 on: August 09, 2013, 07:17:23 pm »

Andre
I'm worried "German engineering" will soon be an anachronistic term. It seems to refer to the old school build to last and be serviceable at any cost mentality of the 1980s and earlier.

God help us when Herr Rohloff retires and the company is run by "managers" seeking to maximise shareholder value via brand leverage and value engineering......

My inner cynic speaks
Ian

Andre Jute

« Reply #54 on: August 09, 2013, 09:24:25 pm »
God help us when Herr Rohloff retires and the company is run by "managers" seeking to maximise shareholder value via brand leverage and value engineering......

My inner cynic speaks
Ian

Fortunately Herr Rohloff is a relatively young man and a cyclist who should live to a ripe old age, and his actions bespeak a man proud of what he has achieved, so I doubt he's planning to sell out or retire; we're probably safe from "managers" for a decade or two. Hallelujah!

Andre Jute

energyman

« Reply #55 on: August 10, 2013, 09:07:12 pm »
I bought a LUMICYCLE 3 LED light a couple of years ago.  It does me fine.  Amazing light output on max plus lower settings when required.  OK so it's battery operated but as I said it does me fine.  Oh yes and it's made in England !

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #56 on: August 10, 2013, 09:21:55 pm »
I bought a LUMICYCLE 3 LED light...
Hi E-man!

Thanks for the recommendation. By any chance, is it this one?: http://www.bikeradar.com/gear/category/accessories/lights/front/product/review-lumicycle-3-led-xpg-light-39894

That beamshot is impressive for off-road use, and the symmetrical beam surely catches overhanging branches.

Best,

Dan.

jags

« Reply #57 on: August 10, 2013, 09:31:41 pm »
£275 are they having a laugh :o
on a pitch dark road or track a medium priced headlight will show the way no problem.
my BnM plus cateye is a great set up ok i know theres much better but do you realy need that much light, i doubt it very much.

triaesthete

« Reply #58 on: August 10, 2013, 10:20:02 pm »

Get some more Zen here as well Anto.

If you ain't buyin' quit lookin' and be happy  :)

It brings to mind the Americans from the boonies who once said "we didn't know we were poor until the government told us".

The whole point of our consumer culture is to make everyone unhappy with themselves and what they have so they stay on the treadmill....simples  ::)

Happy days
Ian

jags

« Reply #59 on: August 10, 2013, 10:23:48 pm »
Ah i know Ian just that i'm broke. ;D