Author Topic: looking for link to best light  (Read 27203 times)

energyman

Re: looking for link to best light
« Reply #60 on: August 11, 2013, 07:05:33 pm »
Hi E-man!

Thanks for the recommendation. By any chance, is it this one?: http://www.bikeradar.com/gear/category/accessories/lights/front/product/review-lumicycle-3-led-xpg-light-39894

That beamshot is impressive for off-road use, and the symmetrical beam surely catches overhanging branches.

Best,

Dan.

I have the previous model and it really is amazing the amount of light it gives out.  You have to be careful where you point it when using it on the road as you get flashed if set too high.  Also, as it turns out, it is also good for watching night time pond life in the garden !
« Last Edit: August 11, 2013, 07:08:04 pm by energyman »

No

« Reply #61 on: August 11, 2013, 10:37:29 pm »
Sticking to the Luxos, in addition to the problems with the hotspot I've covered, the light isn't waterproof in common use. What use is a bicycle lamp that you have to keep under covers when two drops of rain fall? The thing is poorly designed.

There are also reports of the electronics that switch the beams going gaga. That's a danger to your life.

On top of all this (enough already to give me a cramp in the cheque-writing finger) there is the apparently non-replaceable battery the life of which, given the likely partial charge/discharge pattern, won't be three years.

So what you have here is a badly designed, disposable lamp -- for a huge price. It simply isn't "the very best there is". Not by many miles.

When I pay for German engineering, I expect to receive German engineering, not a lamp designed and made in Bongo-Bongo.

Opinions may differ, but mine is logical, rational and defensible point by point. What's more, these are disabilities with a history in the BUMM line, of which BUMM has been made aware time and again; at this length of time, we must conclude that BUMM has no interest in fixing these disabling shortcomings on the Luxos, as their cheap makeshift of changing the instruction sheet to tell customers to angle the switch differently indicates. Ugh!

BUMM's hangers-on and fan-boys react savagely to the least criticism. But I'm not impressionable at all, totally immune to the image BUMM wants to project when the reality isn't there. Advice here from Dan and me to Jags to wait until we knew more about the Luxos now seems prescient.

You can buy many better lamps, and they cost less.

If B&M make unsuitable [language edit by Dan] lights, and the Edelux is made out of a B&M light, then what options are there for dyno hubs? I was so excited about a dyno hub as I hate batteries so this is a fair disappointment to me.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2013, 01:28:44 am by Danneaux »

julk

« Reply #62 on: August 11, 2013, 11:40:35 pm »
No,
I have a Supernova E3 Pro front light with the glare free beam - recommended.
German engineering as it should be.
Julian.

triaesthete

« Reply #63 on: August 11, 2013, 11:50:57 pm »

No, perhaps you should take a philosophical approach:

Any product made will have it's detractors.

You are wealthy enough to have a lawn tractor.

Find something you like that seems to be rated by people whose outlook you respect and take a punt.  :)

Not much to lose and lots of fun. And hub generators are great.

Happy days
Ian

Andre Jute

« Reply #64 on: August 12, 2013, 04:43:26 am »
If B&M make unsuitable [language edit by Dan] lights, and the Edelux is made out of a B&M light, then what options are there for dyno hubs? I was so excited about a dyno hub as I hate batteries so this is a fair disappointment to me.

Some people are waiting to see if BUMM puts the Luxos straight and delivers on its promise. Some people are writing to me to make offers for my currently spare first series Cyo, the last really good lamp BUMM made (my Cyo is not for sale, as I may need it yet to replacy my pedelec-specific Fly which has a wretchedly distracting hotspot). Some people are moving on to Philips Saferide and Axa Nano lamps (the Axa have fans right here). Some people are capable of rolling their own; until about ten years ago, I made my own lamps on MR11 or MR16 decorator track light shells, well made and light, with excellent optics. Some people are buying off-road lamps and aiming them a bit down. Basically you have so much choice about so much actual light on the road, that even ten years ago we couldn't dream of, that there is something for everyone. BUMM is just overrated, and the Luxos light was overhyped, so there was a huge expectation that it failed to meet; unfortunately that has now become a pattern with BUMM, and people with short fuses, like me, and those for whom the price is anyway a stretch (the thing is outrageously expensive!) are jumping ship and wondering where to go, in the same boat as you, except that we have more experience to fall back on, and well stocked junk boxes to keep us going until the way to go becomes clearer, or someone else takes the plunge and discovers the next great lamp; could be you, as Ian says. Dynamo lamps are the right choice for a tourer, but which one to choose isn't so easy right now.

If you're in a hurry, get an Edelux. It's basically a desirable first series Cyo's optics in a stainless shell with a waterproof switch. I have a Dutch chum who takes my attitude -- the best is always the right price --  who has one and swears by it for fast night rides. The particular Cyo in the Edelux is the sports version without the reflector, which isn't the optimum choice for a tourer. But either of the first series Cyo were considered the best bicycle lamps in available only a few years ago, and with general agreement, which the Luxos, a development of the Cyo, clearly doesn't enjoy. The Edelux is also a bit pricey for what it is is, but nowhere near as expensive as a Luxos. The Edelux in essence is a racer's training lamp, and it matches the SON hub dynamo perfectly; it's made by the same people. It works and you'll be able to sell it on when you're ready to upgrade. (Note that even Schmidt, the makers of the SON and Edelux, cheerleaders on the BUMM bandwagon because they depend on BUMM for much of their living, still stick to the optics of the first series Cyo. You might ask why that is...)

Andre Jute
« Last Edit: August 13, 2013, 01:29:20 am by Danneaux »

IanW

« Reply #65 on: August 12, 2013, 11:39:28 am »
1) I have an Edelux mounted on the fork-crown of my RST. It is powered by the SONdelux hub dynamo and I can highly recommend this combination which I leave on "light-sensor" mode at all times.

2) I have the 60-lux Cyo RT on my recumbent trike. I was aware of its various issues, but because it is mounted on the recumbent seat and is thus above and behind my head, I did not want any near-field lighting (because it would light my own feet).

I leave this light on at all times but I have not (yet) tested it out in complete darkness, but with other lighting the hot-spot does not seem to bother me.

As another side-benefit I can "flash" other drivers by simply pushing back on the head-rest thus tilting the light upwards, I think the hot-spot is spot-on  ;)

3) I have just ordered the 60-lux Philips Saferide dynamo-powered light for my wife's RST (along with a SON 26 (new) hub wheel, so I will be able to offer a review / comparison once it has arrived and been installed.

--
Ian

Andre Jute

« Reply #66 on: August 12, 2013, 01:58:34 pm »
As another side-benefit I can "flash" other drivers by simply pushing back on the head-rest thus tilting the light upwards, I think the hot-spot is spot-on  ;)

Laughing out loud. The humble hotspot too has its uses!

Not to mention ultralight flex-construction for recumbent seats...

Looking forward to your report on the Saferide.

Andre Jute
« Last Edit: August 13, 2013, 01:14:58 am by Hobbes »

honesty

« Reply #67 on: August 12, 2013, 06:20:02 pm »
I think a hub dynamo  a light system will be the next thing in saving for. Any views on the Supernova E3 pro 2 or E3 triple? The triple looks fantastically bright but seems like it could dazzle oncoming drivers. At the moment to Luxos U is top of my list because of the integrated USB port...

julk

« Reply #68 on: August 12, 2013, 06:46:08 pm »
honesty,
The E3 Triple is really only for off-road use. It would definitely dazzle anyone coming towards you on the road.

I use the E3 Pro with the traffic friendly beam and like it a lot.
It is driven by a SON dynohub and is on all the time.
I have it handlebar mounted and remove it when stopped for shopping etc.
The gold plated connectors for the wiring work well allowing rapid removal and refitting as necessary.

I also have the Supernova rack mounted rear light which is driven by DC from the front light.

Supernova is expensive stuff, I have been using it about 5 years and it looks like it is going to last a long time.
Julian.

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #69 on: August 12, 2013, 07:01:26 pm »
Supernova is expensive stuff, I have been using it about 5 years and it looks like it is going to last a long time.
Worth remembering that expensive stuff is sometimes the least expensive if it lasts. A good investment in long-lived equipment can be money saved in the long run. I've heard only good wrt Supernova's build quality.

Best,

Dan.

peter jenkins

« Reply #70 on: August 13, 2013, 07:38:53 am »
I took delivery of an Edelux about 3 weeks ago and I am running it on my Moulton TSR30 with a Shutter Precision hub dynamo.

It is at least as good, probably slightly better than, the IQ Fly/SON hub combination on my Club Tour.

It's as much light as I need for commuting in the dark or for the occasional after dark Audax.

But... my needs are restricted to light. I'm not running a charger/Garmin/mobile phone/washing machine from it.

I would happily recommend the Edelux to anyone whose needs are similar to mine.

Cheers,

pj

il padrone

« Reply #71 on: August 13, 2013, 08:38:01 am »
Having a bet each way. Just recieved a package from Bike24 - one B&M Luxos U for the Thorn, and one Edelux to go on our Trek tandem. I have already got two Toplight Flat S plus tail-lights (nearly as good as the Toplight Line Plus) to fit on each of these. The Supernova S3 front and rear set will get swapped over to my Shogun Metro roadster.

Big revision and rationalisation of the bikes' lighting to have top quality headlights and complete tail-light sets on each. The result may leave a d'Lumotec and an iq Cyo as surplus to my requirements.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2013, 08:47:28 am by il padrone »

Planet X

« Reply #72 on: August 13, 2013, 06:07:19 pm »
Is the Toplight Line Plus the latest incarnation. Reading recently that they were having trouble with it?
Want to hold on till I'm sure about it. To go with my Luxos U. Apparently not all tail lights are compatible but the Toplight seems to be.
So..........Toplight Line Plus is the one to go for???

Cheers.

....or Line Tec?
« Last Edit: August 13, 2013, 06:18:35 pm by Planet X »

Andre Jute

« Reply #73 on: August 13, 2013, 11:05:54 pm »
Is the Toplight Line Plus the latest incarnation. Reading recently that they were having trouble with it?
Want to hold on till I'm sure about it. To go with my Luxos U. Apparently not all tail lights are compatible but the Toplight seems to be.
So..........Toplight Line Plus is the one to go for???

Cheers.

....or Line Tec?

Line Tec is the fresnel technology in the Toplight Line Plus. The Line Plus is probably the best tail lamp you can buy today. I haven't heard anything about problems with the Line Plus. Mine gives excellent service. I like it very much.

Andre Jute.

il padrone

« Reply #74 on: August 14, 2013, 10:24:06 am »
AFAIK the only light that has had problems is the Toplight Braketec Line Plus, which has a light that flashes when it detects you are slowing down. And it is only the flashing version; there is a version that pulses the tail-light which is quite OK.