Author Topic: chrome query  (Read 7408 times)

jags

chrome query
« on: August 02, 2012, 08:26:01 pm »
is it possible to get the forks and rear stayes on my sherpa chromed.
just asking ::)

JWestland

Re: chrome query
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2012, 08:50:52 pm »
If you find the cash yes...but the paint needs stripped down, the metal sanded down to perfect and then it needs chromed....

And you need to find a place to do "decorative chroming" nearby, as a thick ugly layer of chrome for function isn't what you need.

Might be cheaper to get an old frame and move the parts :P
Pedal to the metal! Wind, rain, hills, braking power permitting ;)

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2012, 08:57:31 pm »
is it possible to get the forks and rear stayes on my sherpa chromed.

Yes.   ;D

(You're probably thinking of that gorgeous Gios tourer you sent the link for)

The thing is, jags...the chrome-plating of today is not the same as the chrome-plating of yesterday. With changing environmental regulations, the process has changed, and it is really hard to get really good chrome. "Really good chrome" means careful surface preparation, careful etching, and a nice copper underlay before it ever hits the chroming salts/tank. What you'll want to look for is a firm that advertises "show-quality" chrome plating. It will be expensive. Yo'd have to leave clear instructions with the plater to neutralize the chroming salts afterwards so the frame didn't rust out where the salts entered the frame through the vent holes (if any; you're fine with the Sherpa). You'd want the fork half-dipped and the rear chain- and seatstays half-dipped so the bottom bracket threads remained intact. You'd have to re-tap the threads in the rack and mudguard braze-ons.

It is a lot of work, pretty expensive hard to get a great-quality job and -- provided it is done right and maintained nicely -- wonderfully pretty.

My two Centurions are entirely triple-chrome plated under the paint (with selected areas left with the chrome exposed). It really adds to the lustre and depth of the paint. It increases the corrosion resistance (under the paint). It is pretty. It required an awful lot of polishing before plating to make it look so nice.

There's some downsides. Both frames weigh 15oz/425g more than if they weren't chrome-plated. It is hard to properly touch-up any nicks because the chrme shines through and I cannot match the factory's 5-stage catalyzed painting process. Despite what one might think, chrome is kind of porous, and it is possible for it to rust. The preventive cure is to keep it nicely waxed or polished with a non-abrasive metal polish with a silicone component. I prefer ammonia-based Blue Magic 'cos it is non-abrasive and leaves a protective (silicone) coating behind. If the worst happens (say, the chrome gets compromised with salt air or through rock chips and actually starts to rust), it can be brought back from even a dreadful state by using metal polish or ammonia and aluminum foil; the chemical combination breaks down the rust (works on old car bumpers, too). It sure brought my 1970 Raleigh Gran Sports with half-chromed fork and rearstays back from the dead. I got it used and the chrome was freckled with brown rust and pits, but not clear through. Looks like new now, and has stayed that way the last 27 years or so of my ownership.

So, yes, it is entirely possible to chrome your Sherpa, but you'll need to look around a bit to find a good-quality chromer and follow-up to make sure they do a good job of it. Do those things, and it'll be great. Only trouble is, we'll need to wear 8) to see you!

[EDIT: Ah! Jawine beat me to it while I stopped for a bite to eat. She and I are on the same page, but she got there quicker! Did a nice summary, too!]

All the best,

Dan.

jags

« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2012, 09:22:26 pm »
thanks folks just a crazy idea i had, ah well i might as well dream here as in bed  ;D ;D
but i think i will get my sherpa resprayed, i got my raleigh done maybe 6 years ago by a guy that used to make bikes( Des Maye Raparee bikes)  he was a bit of a genius was des ,but i'm not sure if he still works..
nice bike that gios . ;)
thanks anyway .

JWestland

« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2012, 09:53:14 pm »
Ah Dan but as always you're posts are much more detailed  ;D

Chrome stays/forks rock...been drooling over second hand frames on e-bay again. One day!

Ow, there was a chromed roadster frame on e-bay! It's £80 and postage. Very nice but...3 KG (!!!!) It's however too long for me and I know Jags is the same height...

Anyhoo: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/20-27-CHROME-FRAME-FORKS-TO-SUIT-27-WHEEL-BUILD-YOUR-OWN-FIXIE-SPORT-RACER-BIKE-/180941779151?pt=UK_sportsleisure_cycling_bikeparts_SR&hash=item2a20f870cf

#drool but too big like nearly all old stuff as it's nearly all male kit snirf...

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/DIAMANT-VINTAGE-COLUMBUS-AELLE-RACE-FRAME-w-SHIMANO-HEADSET-/261074971231?_trksid=p5197.m1992&_trkparms=aid%3D111000%26algo%3DREC.CURRENT%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D14%26meid%3D1049807915478008385%26pid%3D100015%26prg%3D1006%26rk%3D1%26

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2012, 11:02:07 pm »
Chrome stays/forks rock...been drooling over second hand frames on e-bay again. One day!
They do rock! I miss seeing the chrome that always used to grace forks and stays. Even really cheap frames had the shiny stuff on the forks in the late-1970s. It was good chrome, too!

Oh, my...those are both gorgeous offerings you found, Jawine. eBay is a dangeous place to frequent.  ;)

#drool but too big like nearly all old stuff as it's nearly all male kit snirf...
See...this is what my sister runs into all the time, and it really irritates me. Cycling is *not* (or should not be) a gender-specific sport, but when most of the kit is too big or mis-sized...it has that effect. When I led touring groups in the late-'70s to early-'80s, it broke my heart...my groups were mixed evenly between men and women. The women were often stronger, but had to fight and overcome ill-fitting equipment just to pull up even. The cards were stacked against them, and it wasn't fair. Top tubes were so long that even with short stems, they were all stretched out and got neck- and headaches. The crankarms were too long, the standover was poor, the seat tube angles were off so they had to claw ahead instead of sitting properly in relation to the bottom bracket, and the saddles...! There was nothing remotely geared to women on touring bikes...it was a man's saddle or nothing, and I still recall one woman stopping in tears to wrap her jacket over her saddle in an effort to make it ridable, just so she could get home. Sucked the fun out of it for me, too, seeing her suffer like that. I phoned for the van so she could get a ride home. D'ya know what was worse? She called the next week to cancel, sayiing  she just "...knew [she] couldn't ride like that if it hurts so bad". Her next words really got me: "Maybe I'm just not cut out to ride a bike".

Man! That's not just sad, it's tragic. Made me a staunch advocate for proper sizing throughout.  Nobody should be denied the joy of riding because of poor fit.

Thorn's offering so many sizes and reaches is a real model for other makers to emulate; I wish more would do the same. Andy has even taken great care in his brochures to specifically point out which sizes will give the best fit for women and men by body type and dimension, and Thorn's sizing system is really incredible compared to what other makers offer.

. . .

Sorry, you hit one of my passions there and off I went. As for chrome, I agree; it sure is pretty! Dear, but pretty.

Best,

Dan.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2012, 11:04:34 pm by Danneaux »

jags

« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2012, 11:23:18 pm »
Jawine those are really nice bike's  i do like a bit of bling i'm a bit of a magpie  ;D ;D
don't get me wrong i love the colour of my sherpa but a change is as good as a rest,so it's getting a face lift when i have the dosh then i'll get my son to airbrush something  nice on the head tube and panels on seat tube .

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2012, 11:25:26 pm »
...then i'll get my son to airbrush something  nice...
...and you can bet it *will* be nice; jags' son does work that is simply incredible. It will be a Sherpa for the ages, that's for sure!

Best,

Dan.

jags

« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2012, 11:45:54 pm »
Thanks Dan yeah he's pretty clever with a brush thats for sure.

Andre Jute

« Reply #9 on: August 03, 2012, 01:57:44 am »
If you're serious, Julian, you don't want chrome. It never was a process you had much control over, and it is now less so, and even good chrome has all kinds of stupid problems that defeat all the purposes for which you wanted chrome plating in the first instance.

Instead, what you want is stainless stays and a stainless fork. Polished, of course. And not that silly light Reynolds stuff. Real touring tubes. The best ones are made from Poppe und Potte's Noblex stainless tubes, no longer in production. But Uwe Marschall bought all the factory stock of tubes, and he'll see you right.

http://www.marschall-framework.de/Galerie/index.html

Marschall is a bit difficult to deal with. He's an artist, he doesn't speak English, and you have to communicate with him through his wife . But just look at his craftsmanship!

Andre Jute

julk

« Reply #10 on: August 03, 2012, 11:01:01 am »
Andre,
Thanks, that is some cool link, 50 gorgeous photos of bike bling.
Good job he doesn't speak English! My pension is safe a bit longer.

I had a couple of bikes in my youth with half chroming on the forks, lovely to look at, sadly both stolen from Liverpool University when I was a student there back in the 1960s.
Julian.

p.s. I think you may have confused me with Jawine or Jags who posted earlier, not me.
All these names starting with J, what were our parents thinking of.

jags

« Reply #11 on: August 03, 2012, 11:03:50 am »
Andre thanks for posting that link ,bikes are stunning jeez if a fella had only money. ;)

il padrone

« Reply #12 on: August 03, 2012, 11:24:02 am »
Very nice Rohloff road-touring bike there as well  8).

JWestland

« Reply #13 on: August 03, 2012, 11:34:26 am »
Hi Dan

Cycling came a long way luckily! Plenty of choice now and even women specific road bikes.

Sometimes however they change decoration on them (eg flowers instead of stripes) which means I won't buy that one!
Or pink bikes BAH. Unless 80s that's acceptable lol.

Geometry fine, but you're not going to print hammers on a male bike, why the flowery stuff on female bikes. Looking at you TREK!

But it means getting vintage kit for me is very hard, bar the old steel Peugeots etc. One day...

jags

« Reply #14 on: August 03, 2012, 11:46:39 am »
Say Dan take note on how the twister shift  is mounted on that bike il padrone posted btw are the angles on that dream machine very tight. ::)

say jawine don't be hung up on pink or flowers chippo wore both ;D ;D and they don't come much cooler that the italian stallion  ;)