Author Topic: chrome query  (Read 7407 times)

JWestland

Re: chrome query
« Reply #15 on: August 03, 2012, 12:27:37 pm »
LOL

I have a mixte fixie finished in red glitter paint so maybe I should just shut up lol.

It's not chromed though :P
Pedal to the metal! Wind, rain, hills, braking power permitting ;)

Andre Jute

« Reply #16 on: August 03, 2012, 03:57:30 pm »
Andre,
Thanks, that is some cool link, 50 gorgeous photos of bike bling.
Good job he doesn't speak English! My pension is safe a bit longer.

I had a couple of bikes in my youth with half chroming on the forks, lovely to look at, sadly both stolen from Liverpool University when I was a student there back in the 1960s.
Julian.

p.s. I think you may have confused me with Jawine or Jags who posted earlier, not me.
All these names starting with J, what were our parents thinking of.

Me too, Jute, maybe I should change it to Ferrari (Smith in Italian!).

I used to be in luxury fast car design for a while, and every time I wanted chrome plating rather stainless steel to save a few ounces, the production manager would say, "You're giving me ulcers, man." And this was in Britain, where chrome plating was generally 100% superior to the States. It used be a wise old saw in British hotrodding (such as it is -- they wouldn't let me in with my Bentley flatscreen sportscars "because they're toff's cars") that any chromium part you imported from the States had to be stripped and replated before you fitted it.

Andre Jute

Andre Jute

« Reply #17 on: August 03, 2012, 05:15:12 pm »
Andre thanks for posting that link ,bikes are stunning jeez if a fella had only money. ;)

Actually, Marschall isn't expensive at all by German custom standards. For instance, I could have a Rohbloff 29er from him for near-enough Kranich money -- if I was prepared to wait. I wasn't. Other custom makers, especially the better Americans like David Bohm, are a good deal more expensive and many of them make dull if worthy bikes; I mention Bohm by name because he makes an exciting bike and is also an artist: see http://www.bohemianbicycles.com And here is an article I wrote about one of the dull ones, Waterford Bikes, after some American roadies thought it amusing to hound me for not buying American: https://groups.google.com/forum/?fromgroups#!msg/rec.bicycles.tech/LqY0UpZTIP0/KW_fz6H3sbQJ -- notice Carl Lundquist pitching in in support; as usual on RBT with any substantive thread this one is not for the squeamish.

The Marschall secret is that, once you've totted up the frame and fork and major extra fittings and polishing if you want it, you can get all kinds of alterations and extra fittings free -- bits that everyone else charges extra for. And he throws in a Chris King headset, fitted. I calculated everything, right up to the moment I took my first ride, and in that spreadsheed, for so beautiful a bike, made with such rare tubes, a Marschall looked like a bargain.

Maybe in these economic times his waiting list is shorter.

Andre Jute
« Last Edit: August 04, 2012, 04:37:20 pm by Hobbes »

JWestland

« Reply #18 on: August 04, 2012, 07:11:40 pm »
Hm...so what roughly would a chrome fork/stays fixie cost from Mr Marshall me wonders? :)

A very rough ball park would do... £600-800-1000?

I speak German...that won't be the issue :D

jags

« Reply #19 on: August 04, 2012, 07:58:45 pm »
don't talk to me about fixies i went for a spin yesterday with my son he rides  his fix all the time. 35 miles of torture never again  ;D ;D

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #20 on: August 04, 2012, 08:42:04 pm »
Hm...so what roughly would a chrome fork/stays fixie cost from Mr Marshall me wonders?

Price list here: http://www.marschall-framework.de/MARSCHALL%20Framework%202012%20Preisliste%20Deutschland.pdf

Steel Fixed = 750Euro
Stainless steel Fixed = 1400Euro

Looks like there might even be a choice of tube diameters, too.

Dangerous waters, Jawine...think of these beauties...!

Best,

Dan.

Andre Jute

« Reply #21 on: August 05, 2012, 12:20:36 am »
Hm...so what roughly would a chrome fork/stays fixie cost from Mr Marshall me wonders? :)

A very rough ball park would do... £600-800-1000?

I speak German...that won't be the issue :D

You should be that lucky! Frame and fork only:

Singlespeedrahmen / Fixie mit Gabel
BONANZA, Werkstoff Rahmen & Gabel: CrMo Stahl €750
SAN JOSE, Werkstoff Rahmen & Gabel: NOBLEX Edelstahl €1400

It's not a direct comparison, though, as the stainless frame comes with a Chris King headset fitted.

http://www.marschall-framework.de/MARSCHALL%20Framework%202012%20Preisliste%20Deutschland.pdf

JWestland

« Reply #22 on: August 17, 2012, 11:18:59 am »
Lovely work :)

In other news: The filler brazen Thorn guys (Lee Cooper cycles) are still going here: http://www.14bikeco.com/frames/frames and with their own business.

£650 for a frame though...

Should maybe have a look at getting a bike in NL and bring it back...as cycling is like breathing over there you don't get the UK inflated prices. Not sure they did chrome frames though...