Author Topic: supream tyres info.  (Read 5414 times)

jags

supream tyres info.
« on: January 14, 2010, 12:58:28 pm »
anyone useing schwalble supreams on 26 inch rims ,just wondering what do you find is the best pressure to ride them at .i like to put the max pressure in but i dont want to do the tyre or rim any harm if you get my meaning thanks.
this is the first spin on them never used them before ;)

mikerr

Re: supream tyres info.
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2010, 02:33:00 pm »
Hi Jags,

Supremes are the tyres I want to try out at some point.
Have you tried the recommended maximum pressures, 85psi for the 1.60'', or 70psi for the 2.0''?

Mike

jags

« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2010, 05:03:18 pm »
mikerr i only got them at christmas  and with the weather been so bad i haven't tryed them out yet,but i do have them fitted to my wheels and i have the max pressure in them.
they look fantastic the rubber seems to be top quality  almost like a slick ,there a bit wider than im used to 49mm or 1.6 ,i've heard  great things about them hopefully they will live up to there reputation.oh i bought them from chainreaction cycles good price and free postage (sorry sjs) ;D

ians

« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2010, 06:43:38 pm »
I've been using the 1.6" for about 9 months now - commuting and the Hadrian's Wall cycle route (cycle track/rubbish/broken glass....).  To be honest, I've never paid much attention to the gauge - I just pump them up hard and that's that.  They are superb tyres in my view - fantastic grip on my commute through the rain of the winter and not a single p******e since putting them on.

Ian

jags

« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2010, 07:38:48 pm »
wow thank's for that ians can't wait to try them out. ;)

brummie

« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2010, 09:38:30 pm »
I run my 1.6's at about 70 psi - Great tyre ! No punctures yet. I'll re-fit them once the snow disappears...

garyper

• Gary and Sandy's Adventures
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2010, 11:31:30 pm »
Hi Everyone,

I have the 1.6 on my new RT and used to run the standard marathons on my old commuter. I think they roll better, grip heaps better and just have a better ride.  Very happy and will be replacing them with more Supremes when the time comes.  I am assuming this grip and ride comes at the cost fo longevity but I've only done 1200km on them so far so cant really tell yet.

Cheers
Gary

jags

« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2010, 12:02:58 am »
I run my 1.6's at about 70 psi - Great tyre ! No punctures yet. I'll re-fit them once the snow disappears...

brummi i have mine at 6 bar think that's around 80psi ,would you reckon the 70  psi would be better.
emm might just try them as they are i'll report back when i do eventually get out this weekend. i hope.

garyper

• Gary and Sandy's Adventures
« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2010, 04:53:42 am »
Ooops I forgot to answer the pressure question :)  I run between 60-70psi.  I dont stress over the pressure they roll along nicely at anything from 55-80psi.  ON a dirt track I rode I let them down to about 50 (I think) to give a bit more traction.

jags

« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2010, 12:08:51 pm »
Ooops I forgot to answer the pressure question :)  I run between 60-70psi.  I dont stress over the pressure they roll along nicely at anything from 55-80psi.  ON a dirt track I rode I let them down to about 50 (I think) to give a bit more traction.

thank's for that garyper im going to try them at max this weekend on our wet irish roads.
cheers
jags

sbseven

« Reply #10 on: January 15, 2010, 05:50:12 pm »
It depends a bit on a number of conditions: road surface, your weight, loaded/unloaded, what you're trying to get out of the tyre - speed or/and comfort etc.

Assuming this is on paved roads, average weight rider, unloaded, I'd run the rear one at around the max rated pressure to start with and the front one slightly (10%) less. If the resulting ride is too harsh, reduce the pressure in both tyres by a few psi and ride again. Repeat the process until you're happy. Even play around a bit and find the 'sweet spot'. You'll probably find the best compromise is a few psi below the maximum rating for the rear, front slightly less.

You may want more pressure if carrying heavy loads.

You may want less pressure in wet/slippery conditions and on poor road surfaces.

It's a great tyre. I have the 26x2.0 on my Nomad. (Pressure 55/50 psi for the assumed conditions mentioned above). I'm planning to use them on a 8,500 km paved road cycle ride across Canada in the summer!

Shaun

Blacksail

« Reply #11 on: January 15, 2010, 08:18:35 pm »
This is what Andy says, just review no mention of tyre pressure, in the new Nomad brochure.
"We’ve used 2.0” Schwalbe
Marathon Supremes in
India, on tarmac which
varied from smooth to very
broken and they were truly
excellent. They were
remarkably quick,
comfortable and grippy but
they could be deadly in any
loose, or slippery, off road
situation."

jags

« Reply #12 on: January 15, 2010, 09:08:35 pm »
good info there lads thanks but why reduce the pressure in the front tyre.
im thinking of running them at max  and over time reduceing the pressure ,
but i don't want a sluggish ride as nippy as possible on a touring bike,half the reason i went for a slick like tyre in the first place.as i said im very impressed by the way they look on the wheels, if they preform as good as they look im a happy camper. ;D
thanks lads.

sbseven

« Reply #13 on: January 16, 2010, 11:04:07 am »
good info there lads thanks but why reduce the pressure in the front tyre.

I've always done this. Generally speaking, I think it's assumed a tyre performs 'optimally' with a certain amount of tyre deflection. To achieve this 'best' deflection in both tyres, you'll need more psi in the rear tyre as there tends to be more weight over the back wheel than the front wheel.

You'll probably find your front/rear car tyres have different recommended psi settings for the same reasoning. (Fronts are normally higher in this case).

YMMV and as somebody has already said these tyres have quite a wide operating window and will roll along well at a number of pressures. Just experiment until you've found the best for YOU.

This (technical) article explains the theory (although I'm not saying this is FACT). Sheldon Brown on all things tyres also mentions it.

Enjoy the Supremes!

Shaun
« Last Edit: January 16, 2010, 11:09:20 am by sbseven »

jags

« Reply #14 on: January 16, 2010, 03:51:18 pm »
shaun i tryed them out this morning on my first spin since before christmas at 80psi have to say they preformed a lot better than i did ;D.great tyres so far.