Author Topic: loaded touring.  (Read 21790 times)

JimK

• Interdependent Science
Re: loaded touring.
« Reply #45 on: January 01, 2012, 11:21:23 pm »

Not too bad I would say, for a first try. How big a wind could it handle etc., would take a lot more testing. Super simple, that's for sure!

Getting the line up to the seat rails or even over the top of the saddle, wrapped around the saddle, would give some needed additional headroom!

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #46 on: January 02, 2012, 01:59:37 am »
Not too bad I would say, for a first try...

Not at all bad; in fact, I'd say it is a dandy result you can be proud of, Jim!

In no way intended as a criticism, but I agree you would get even better results with a higher fixation at the head-end.

Just out of curiosity...which direction is your preferred entry-exit?  I'm guessing a quick roll to the side is best...?

Looking good!  Jim, this is just great; way to start the New Year!

Best,

Dan.

P.S. In a quick addenda, Jim...how did you manage to hold the bike while you tethered it?
« Last Edit: January 02, 2012, 02:02:32 am by Danneaux »

JimK

• Interdependent Science
« Reply #47 on: January 02, 2012, 02:57:47 am »
I expect a bit more space between the bike and the tent will make entry/exit simpler, though even as close as I had it was OK if snug.

I didn't have trouble with the bike falling over. I used this order of assembly:

1. stake the tarp corners at the bike end. The distances can be judge decently by just lifting the tarp to see make sure it comes to the right height and adjust stake positions or line length as needed.

2. run the line over the clickstand and stake that. At this point one has a triangular pyramid.

3. run the line over the bike and stake that. One hold the bike in position while pulling the line snug and securing it the to the bike. Then just keep tension in the line as one hammers in the stake, to keep the bike from moving.

4. stake the tarp corners at the clickstand end.

After this sequence I did another round of tweaking the corner stakes to get things square.

JimK

• Interdependent Science
« Reply #48 on: January 03, 2012, 02:07:40 pm »
Here are some other folks doing very much the same thing I suggested, using a bike as a tent/tarp support:

http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/forums/thread_display.html?forum_thread_id=54639

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #49 on: January 03, 2012, 09:33:52 pm »
Excellent, Jim.  There's always some neat goings-on at the BPL list.  Don't forget to check their links to equipment deals.

Up till it finally failed in the storm atop Blizzard Gap in 2010, I've had great luck using a Gore-Tex semi-bivy (a 30 year-old Early Winters Pocket Hotel).  Right at 1kg complete with stakes, storage sack, etc., it was as light as many tarps, erected even faster, and successfully weathered many a storm for me.  Most of all, it took little space for ledge camping, as the photos show below:

(L) Nearly summited-out, Willamette Pass, Oregon Cascades
(M) Ledge camping in California's Warner Mountain Range
(R) Cross-country camping, Picture-Rock Pass, Central Oregon
(...all on 700x32C tires, by the way; can't wait to use the Sherpa's 26x2.0 Duremes in the same terrain...)

The replacement has a similar footprint, but with a detachable fly and mesh inner for bug-free warm nights and a small side vestibule that just allows the inclusion of all bags in the tent if desired, for just .5kg more.  Best of all, I can actually sit up at the waist instead of just leaning on one elbow.  The side-entry helps immensely in steady downpours and mud or snow.  I remain really intrigued by the simplicity and versatility of tarps, but Ray Jardine hasn't quite won me over yet; to get bug protection and coverage against high winds, the modified tarps end up weighing as much as what I have, and with less convenience.  Still, they are a viable alternative in most situations, largely without condensation, and generally can't be beat for low weight and pitching versatility.

Best,

Dan.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2012, 02:57:12 am by Danneaux »

JimK

• Interdependent Science
« Reply #50 on: January 04, 2012, 02:50:03 am »
I've had great luck using a Gore-Tex semi-bivy

Someplace in my storage unit I should have a Outdoor Research bivy from around 1996, that hasn't seen much use. For just sleeping, this ought to work fine. I wonder though about several days in a row of rain. A tarp would have the space and ventilation to be able to hang stuff up to dry at least partially, enough room to hang out for a day or two to let the worst of it pass through.

For a two or three day trip though, I imagine the bivy wins. Reschedule the trip if the forecast is absurd, or just ride through it and get a bit wet otherwise.

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #51 on: January 04, 2012, 04:32:23 am »
...or just ride through it...

Yep.  That's what I do.  Bivy for sleeping, bike for riding.  When not sleeping, ride.  When not riding, sleep (or spend minimal downtime <2-3 hrs. in-tent when not sleeping).  Cooking takes place in the rain.  Or snow. And so, generally, does eating.  Cooking is a Mandatory Outdoor Activity to avoid tent fires.  Tent is sanctum sanctorum for dry sleeping bag.   Bivy for sleeping, bike for riding...works for weeks at a time.  One can generally ride through or past a weather front; a person rarely rides within one indefinitely.  For really heavy-duty stuff (i.e. severe lightning, large hailstones that generally pass in a couple-three hours) culverts, bridges, open hay barns, tree trunks as appropriate for conditions have generally proven better for me to seek shelter than putting up the tent.  And, sometimes, if it is really bad and I need to still be in-transit or there is danger of a tent wash-out, I'll just sit down in rain gear on my little foam sit-pad, away from the bike, and bend my head forward, waiting for the worst to pass.  Once it does, depending on the hour, it's back on the bike or put up the tent for the night.

On the other hand, my Dutch touring-friend's most valued solo-touring possession is his 10lb/4.5kg three-man Tatonka Alaska 3 tent, with a vestibule large enough to swallow two bicycles ( http://intranet.tatonka.com/infosys/php/artinfoe.php?2569_Alaska%203 ).  It felt like a suite at the Hilton when I tried it; it's a wonderful piece of gear.  It just depends on one's philosophy, comfort levels and preferences.

Bivy-Biker, now Mini-Tenter,

Dan.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2012, 05:49:04 am by Danneaux »

JimK

• Interdependent Science
« Reply #52 on: January 04, 2012, 07:19:36 pm »
Pete Staehling on "Less Encumbered Touring":

http://www.crazyguyonabike.com/doc/?o=1&doc_id=9738&v=9p

VeloFreedom

• VeloFreedom
« Reply #53 on: January 05, 2012, 06:12:09 pm »
You can check out my entire tour gear list here:
http://velofreedom.wordpress.com/equipment/

My intention has always been self sufficiency so it looks like a lot... it is... too much for most purposes! Fine when touring long distances on good road surfaces and manageable on heavily undulating unpaved jeep tracks. However, having too much weight on the back effects handling on more extreme surfaces and puts a lot of stress on the rear wheel. Over the next couple of months my tried and tested set up is evolving with the addition of frame bags from http://www.porcelainrocket.com/ and the loss of the dreaded rack bag... that thing has become my nemesis!

As an aside, I much prefer panniers with a traditional lid. I find that the roll top dry-bag style will let in water... when the wet bags are opened water runs down from the bag opening into the bag. I'd be going with a flip lid every time in future.

Me and a pal just took a tarp on our tour of Cuba. We found the most stable and quickest way to rig it was to use the two bikes as the support in a traditional A-frame set up. Both bikes stood up fine supported by a click-stand each. The advantage of this was that not only were our bikes covered but we also had them between us, giving a touch of privacy. We also had individual mosquito nets that we were able to rig inside; placing one rear pannier at our heads and another at our feet we were able to lift the net away from us and create a comfy little mosquito free space. Nipping out for a piss could be easier but most places wouldn't necessitate the nets.
Here's a snap... please excuse the inferior bicycle... my Nomad was supporting the other end...

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #54 on: January 05, 2012, 07:45:28 pm »
it looks like a lot..

No...looks about right, given your needs and what you're doing.  A really fine-looking job of packing, too.  Really, really enjoyed the links to your site and Flicker photos, Nathan.

I especially appreciate your revised equipment list, indicating what worked and what didn't, what you chose for replacements, and why.

Best wishes for safe, enjoyable travel!

Dan.