Author Topic: Put A Suspension Fork On A Nomad Mk.1?  (Read 2269 times)

VeloFreedom

• VeloFreedom
Put A Suspension Fork On A Nomad Mk.1?
« on: December 29, 2011, 12:15:44 am »
Before anyone remarks at the supposed ridiculousness of this question and harps on about the beauty of the Sterling, please read on.

I´ve spent the last 19 months cycling south from Alaska on my trusty Nomad Mk.1. http://velofreedom.wordpress.com. The bike has performed really well (including surviving a 60mph fall from the top of a moving vehicle). However, it doesn´t like the gnarly dirt mountain roads as much as I do. My current project is revamping my set-up to make it more extreme road friendly... I´m only in Guatemala and have the whole of South America to ride.
This process is starting with losing a fair amount of gear and getting Scott at Porcelain Rocket to sew me together a full frame bag arrangement. I´m hoping it will end with a suspension fork.

I´ve only heard of one guy who´s done it, he put in a Magura Odur and seemed happy. I understand there are limitations but has anyone else done the deed? As an aside, does anyone else have recommendations (from experience not hearsay) of suspension forks that can handle long rugged tours?

Hamish

Re: Put A Suspension Fork On A Nomad Mk.1?
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2012, 07:18:32 pm »
Hello

Nobody with experience seems to have answered so I will have a go and bump you up the list a bit!

I haven't done what you are proposing but I think it would be possible to fit an 80mm suspension fork on your bike without too much of a problem - you could check the spec of the proposed fork and compare it to the length of your current one.  The thorn forks are quite long from crown to dropout so I think you will find one that fits.  I think the key would be getting the shortest suspension fork you can find.  They do vary- for example I had a Fox Vanilla that was shorter than a Marzocchi which had 5mm or so less travel.

As far as I know the limiting factors will be the effect of a longer fork on frame angles and steering geometry and as long as the new fork isn't too long there should be some flexibility there. Also a longer fork exerts more leverage on the front of the frame - but the Nomad isn't exactly a light weight frame!

If ypu look at the photos on this link http://www.pbase.com/cassgilbert/image/51861318 and this one http://www.pbase.com/cassgilbert/image/51861321 you will see that Cass Gilbert used a suspension fork on his Raven Tour in a similar way.

You could of ask Thorn to comment - they are bound to have an opinion!

Anyway - great blog/trip.  Have fun.

Que te vaya bien.

Saludos

h

stutho

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2012, 09:27:41 pm »
VeloFreedom,

Just as a quick data point I have fitted a pair of Magura Odur (85mm) to a Thorn Raven frame and been very pleased with the results, however I don't tour with suspension.

VeloFreedom

• VeloFreedom
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2012, 10:09:43 pm »
Thanks guys. I'd love to get my hands on a Magura Odur but they stopped making it at the end of 2009. A real shame as coil spring forks with V-Brake mounts are proving hard to track down. I don't trust touring on air. Any thoughts?

AndrewC

« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2012, 10:57:17 pm »
I used a Magura Odur 85mm on my Nomad for a Manali to Leh trip.  It handled well, though I wasn't carrying a load (jeep backup).

Thorn used to sell Magura forks as an option for the Nomad, so the geometry should be OK.

VeloFreedom

• VeloFreedom
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2012, 03:05:32 pm »
My thoughts are still up in the air over whether to go the suspension fork route. It's 50/50 as to whether I'll go with a Rock Shox Tora 302 Coil U-turn fork and lose my front panniers or just stick with straight rigid steel. I'm encouraged by the success that Tom from 'Banff to the Bottom' http://www.crazyguyonabike.com/doc/?o=1&doc_id=7186&v=nU has had with an older version of this fork. It's steel components and 85mm travel appeal but I'm concerned about shifting all my load weight to the rear.

Andy Blance (Thorn designer, for the uninitiated) has been a great help as always. Here is what Andy had to say about the Mk1. Nomad (NOTE: This does NOT concern the Mk.2, which is a different frame set all together):

"The Nomad Mk1 was not designed for use with suspension.

The fitting of a suss fork will seriously alter the bike’s geometry. The shorter the travel, the less it will affect the geometry.

I can only recommend that, if you decide to fit a suss fork, that you are very careful to see whether the changes to the handling are something that you can cope with and allow for, before putting your life at risk."

He doesn't rule it out but has given me enough information (and the benefit of his vast experience) to doubt whether swapping out my rigid fork will give me enough to warrant the cost and risk.