Author Topic: +++Rides 2023+++Add yours here+++  (Read 19631 times)

PH

Re: +++Rides 2023+++Add yours here+++
« Reply #15 on: February 07, 2023, 07:00:13 pm »
Brilliant stuff, Paul, and I'm sooo envious: not only do you not have Winter, you have a train network!
Thanks John.  The train network isn't always as good as it could be, so it's easy to take it for granted and not appreciate how usable it is.  I haven't owned a car since 1999 and there isn't many places in the UK I can't get to reasonably easily by bike and train (Occasionally coach, even more occasionally hire car)
All the trains have some cycle provision, it's variable, some better than others, different operators, some I'll only use with my folder.  Yesterdays was fine
IMG_20230206_101031 by Paul, on Flickr

John Saxby

« Reply #16 on: February 08, 2023, 02:50:09 am »
Canada has a brilliant train service if you want to travel across the continent at speed and in style

Sad to say, Andre, even that service is close to its end: VIA Rail's rolling stock is now reaching 70 years of service, and was second-hand when purchased in the mid-'50s.

It's a sorry story of a deliberate policy choice to base our transportation on planes, motor cars, and trucks. (With our climate & geography -- what were they thinking?) There is a train system but it's for freight.  VIA Rail is the passenger "service", and VIA has to rent time & space on the tracks own by the two freight companies -- and then, passenger trains have to tuck into a siding to wait for the freight to rumble by.

You can put a bike on just one train a day from Ottawa -- that's a morning train to Montréal.  We have nothing remotely close to what Paul just did -- or what I did on my ramble through Mittel Europe in 2012.

Grumble grumble...

All that said, if/if I can realize my idea of a tour of the Acadian coast of New Brunswick & Cape Breton (next year?), I hope I'll still be able to take "The Ocean", which runs between Montréal and Halifax.  I have fond memories of train travel in Atlantic Canada & Québec:  in 1956, we began a new life in Canada when we disembarked in Lévis, on the south shore of the St Lawrence across from Québec City.  Later, we took the night train to Montréal.  En route, I looked out of the window of our cabin, and there were no lights to be seen.  I remember thinking, excited and a bit terrified, "This place is wild!"

Cheers,  John

Matt2matt2002

« Reply #17 on: February 08, 2023, 08:48:29 am »
Re bike / trains: I hope to try this out in the Summer in Scotland UK.

Puff from October last year:

We're very excited to unveil the first of our five Active Travel Carriages. These each have space for up to 20 bikes of all shapes and sizes - including tandems, and e-bikes.
As well as the extra bike spaces, they'll bring a further 24 seats to each service along with space for large and bulky luggage.
The finishing touches are currently being made to the first carriage by Brodie Engineering at their Kilmarnock workshop, where they refreshed it inside and out. They have also added WiFi, plug sockets, and refurbished the onboard toilet.
They'll enter service on the West Highland Line once we're able to safely complete staff training.

Never drink and drive. You may hit a bump  and spill your drink

Andre Jute

« Reply #18 on: February 08, 2023, 01:03:03 pm »
Sad to say, Andre, even that service is close to its end: VIA Rail's rolling stock is now reaching 70 years of service, and was second-hand when purchased in the mid-'50s.

That is sad. I was on that train in a group of students from the American prep school where I was an exchange scholar. I remember it as in first class order -- presumably not too long after it was renovated after purchase -- and offering a smooth ride and excellent food. A few years on when I was serving my military conscription's tail end of annual short-services as a briefer in the Cabinet Office, I often rode the Blue Train between Cape Town and Pretoria, mechanically a superb train with superb service but not too many hedonistic touches, and I said to the Transport Minister, I can't remember who it was then but I remember his reply to my, "Minister, you shoulda splashed out for the luxury touches like on that Canadian train, especially the bubble top view carriage." And he said, "Boy, you have rocks in your head, and they aren't gears meshing. Steward, bring some black coffee. Don't let your father discover you're a spendthrift, Andre." About 1980-something I recommended that trans-Canadian ride to in-laws celebrating one of the important wedding anniversaries, and they too enjoyed it tremendously. I don't remember seeing bicycles in the luggage coach but I'm pretty sure the staff those days would have found a way to bring your bicycle if you asked.

They'll enter service on the West Highland Line once we're able to safely complete staff training.

That sentence is the crux of the matter, Matt, unless it is a different train operator than the one I have experience of. Back in the 1990s I was in and out of Inverness like a yo-yo on DanAir, an airline with super service and gourmet food. I travelled back to London by train just once, because a client wanted to know my opinion of the service. First class was threadbare and economy was greasy. The train was next to empty but the conductor still tried to bully me about wanting a compartment to myself, which was what was booked for me. The prebooked dinner was a lobster so undersized that I wondered whether the fisherman who caught it would go to jail. The lettuce was limp enough to qualify as "distressed" (that's how models order disgusting food in restaurants so they don't eat it -- I know, I carelessly said "I'll have the same" just once, and distractedly put some of it in my mouth, and promptly spat out the slimy stuff over a bony professor of feminism who was already sulking because when she tried to tell me how to do my job, I patronised her with, "I do this for a rich living, my dear."). The cheese was pre-sliced and curling. I ate the lobster because I hadn't eaten since breakfast, fortunately -- though I of course would prefer to ascribe it to supernatural prescience --  of an Arbroath Smokey that hung over the side of plate, and wondered how fast salmonella works. Then a woman with children came in and tried to order dinner. There was none if you didn't prebook. I gave them my cheese and wilted lettuce and a spotted dick dessert that looked like it wanted to run away to grow penicillin in peace. Then I took out my leather pocketbook and unscrewed my Montblanc fountain pen, both in use only when I want to frighten the living daylights out of obstructive flunkies, and starting taking names. In the morning the contrite conductor brought me a cup of his own tea and apologised for there being no biscuits. I would bet money that railway line, which deserved to go bankrupt. would most definitely not have allowed you to bring a bike, never mind preparing special facilities for it. Sounds like you and your bike are about to be the beneficiaries of a thoroughly modernised management. Some super cycling along the coast from Nairn to the villages, from one of which sprang my beloved mother-in-law. (Didn't you ride there last year?) The canny Scot I got the bike from insisted I pay the full second-hand price, and he'd buy the bike back for an agreed price; the difference would be the rental. The "rental" came to about twice what my local LBS would charge, though the bike in Scotland was better than Joe-the-bike, my local man, would rent to strangers. Good luck on your train-enabled ride. I'm with you in spirit and look forward to your report.

in4

« Reply #19 on: February 09, 2023, 09:20:53 am »
I can recommend NZ long distance trains. I found them  very comfortable, the food was basic cos of Covid but the overall experience was very good. The trains have an outdoor carriage in which you can take the air. I wonder if you can store a bike there.

https://www.newzealand.com/uk/rail/

lewis noble

« Reply #20 on: February 09, 2023, 06:19:40 pm »
Re bikes on trains . . . . In 2016, I attempted the St Malo - Nice ride on my Sherpa.  Doing fine until I got about 1/2 way, knees became more and more painful, even with rest and treatment; stayed with a friend in Limoges for a while, then decided to return; I doubted I could tackle the gradients I was approaching.  I got a train down the Loire Valley, from Angers to Nantes I think.  It was in the summer, but not peak season - lots of cyclists about.  The French Railways, SNCF, put an extra coach in the consist of the train over the summer specifically adapted for bikes, loads of racks, and a staff member to help load/unload them!! 

Easier to do on the 'old-style' trains with a loco and coaches, harder to do on modern configurations unfortunately, but very successful and heavily used. 

I returned to Brittany, rode gently most of the way to Caen and home.  If I had carried on, I was expecting to arrive in Nice around the day of the terrorist attack with the truck on Promenade des Anglais; no doubt I would have been there celebrating.  A terrible attack.  But all ended well for me. 

Lewis

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #21 on: February 10, 2023, 12:25:42 am »
Life really is all in the timing, isn't it, Lewis? Grateful you came out on the right side of things and it makes the knee pain almost worthwhile!

I've got a tandem stoker with sore knees at the moment. We're resting them as much as possible. Likely came from an overuse/overstrain last month as we rushed to make an appointment and dashed up a very steep highway overpass. As captain, I was standing but as stoker she remained seated and just cooked her kneecaps. Hips, too. We'll see how it goes, but hopefully another week off will help.

Best, Dan.

PH

« Reply #22 on: February 10, 2023, 09:27:05 am »
Re bikes on trains . . . . In 2016, I attempted the St Malo - Nice ride on my Sherpa. Lewis
Sounds like you made the best of the situation Lewis.
I've also used trains as a bail out option a few times, sometimes even planning rides to have that choice.  Thankfully never had to re-plan a tour mid way for health reasons. I have cut one short once when the weather made it no fun and also extended one when the circumstances encouraged that, in both cases it wouldn't have been so easily possible without the train. I've done so on more day rides than I can count - Why turn around into a headwind when you can enjoy the tailwind for another fifty miles and let the train take the strain?

PH

« Reply #23 on: February 10, 2023, 09:29:34 am »
I looked out of the window of our cabin, and there were no lights to be seen.  I remember thinking, excited and a bit terrified, "This place is wild!"

Cheers,  John
I think that's the other side of the same coin John.  I can go all over the UK by train, but can't find much wilderness, even the bits there are can be cycled through in a couple of hours.

Andre Jute

« Reply #24 on: February 10, 2023, 12:18:49 pm »
Congratulations on your narrow escape, Lewis.

You don't have to leave home to have narrow escapes in the modern world. About forty years ago we were taking our child to the London Zoo and on the way up from Hayling Island stopping off for a fish burger at McDonalds. There was no parking to be found, so we ate somewhere else. On the way to the zoo I heard on the car radio that the McDonalds famous for its fish burgers (and chips, the main attraction for the littlie who was given to ordering "Chips!" "With what?" "With chips!") had been blown up by the IRA with feared substantial loss of life.

Matt2matt2002

« Reply #25 on: February 10, 2023, 12:43:55 pm »
I looked out of the window of our cabin, and there were no lights to be seen.  I remember thinking, excited and a bit terrified, "This place is wild!"

Cheers,  John
I think that's the other side of the same coin John.  I can go all over the UK by train, but can't find much wilderness, even the bits there are can be cycled through in a couple of hours.

Pop up here to Scotlandshire. The islands are pretty much traffic free. Shetland, Orkney, Lewis etc. Skip Skye though.And the N500, otherwise known as the racetrack for Ferraris.

John Saxby

« Reply #26 on: February 10, 2023, 02:18:28 pm »
You're right, Matt:  my childhood reference was Dorset, Wiltshire & Surrey.  My mum's family was Scots-Irish, name of Burns (you've probably heard of it ;) -- maternal grandfather's name was Robbie Burns, and if people ask me, "The Robbie Burns?" I say, "Far as I'm concerned he was.")

But yes, I haven't spent enough time in Scotland, just a few weeks 15 years ago on the West Highland Way, Mull/Iona, and visits to Edinburgh and Culloden.

Might be time to look into a LEJoG...

Any further thoughts on a North American Crossing? Or have you considered New Scotland, a.k.a. Nova Scotia?

Matt2matt2002

« Reply #27 on: February 10, 2023, 07:45:11 pm »
You're right, Matt:  my childhood reference was Dorset, Wiltshire & Surrey.  My mum's family was Scots-Irish, name of Burns (you've probably heard of it ;) -- maternal grandfather's name was Robbie Burns, and if people ask me, "The Robbie Burns?" I say, "Far as I'm concerned he was.")

But yes, I haven't spent enough time in Scotland, just a few weeks 15 years ago on the West Highland Way, Mull/Iona, and visits to Edinburgh and Culloden.

Might be time to look into a LEJoG...

Any further thoughts on a North American Crossing? Or have you considered New Scotland, a.k.a. Nova Scotia?

Kind of you to remember my idea for USA / Canada.
The passing years and the Covid hic-up has caused me to rethink things.
 At 70 this November I have realized I'll enjoy less strenuous trips. Age has kinda focused my thinking. Lots of good memories from by tours abroad and still 75% certain I'll manage a month or so in Thailand soon.
Family issues also play a part....... love them all to bits but they can be an anchor in some respects.

And of course, I have Scotland on my doorstep.........

Cheers

Matt

John Saxby

« Reply #28 on: February 10, 2023, 08:31:32 pm »
No worries, Matt -- understand entirely, and in my experience those considerations become more pressing as we get further into the eighth decade. (Yikes!!)  ;)

PH

« Reply #29 on: February 11, 2023, 09:22:16 am »

Cheers,  John

Pop up here to Scotlandshire. The islands are pretty much traffic free. Shetland, Orkney, Lewis etc. Skip Skye though.And the N500, otherwise known as the racetrack for Ferraris.
Scotland is certainly my favorite part of the UK, at least of those I've cycled toured in so far, and compared to most other parts of the UK quite sparsely populated.
Not in anyway taking away from that, I think my comment still stands, there are not huge areas of wilderness in the same way as there are in some other countries.  The sorts of tours you hear about on here and elsewhere, where it's necessary to carry several days worth of food and water.