Author Topic: +++Rides 2023+++Add yours here+++  (Read 19636 times)

PH

Re: +++Rides 2023+++Add yours here+++
« Reply #30 on: February 15, 2023, 10:56:02 am »
Another day out in the Spring like weather, I have to remind myself that there may still be poor weather to come, but that's the more reason to take advantage.  This trip went North into the Peak District National Park, not named for the hilliness, though it is, but derived from the name of the Anglo-Saxon tribe who first settled the area.  Bit of everything on this ride, 80 miles, of which 42 were car free off road.  Some muddy canal path, a rocky climb on bridleway, a track alongside a preserved narrow gauge railway, two dedicated cycle/waking routes on converted railway, the Monsal Trail with it's incredible tunnels and the High Peak Trail with it's equally impressive earthworks. The on road sections were mainly quiet country lanes, two cat 4 climbs according to Strava, though not in my opinion the toughest parts of the day.  I thought all the climbing was in the first half, but I was caught out a couple of times on the way back, or it might just have been tiered legs. My first ride into the Peak District this year, it really is an incredible area on my doorstep and despite living here for 20 years there's still parts I've yet to explore.   
The Nomad. in this configuration (I wouldn't know about any other) absolutely excels on these sorts of rides. There's no doubt it losses a bit to my Mercury on the road sections, but I'm happy to take it places I'd be reluctant to use the Merc.  The Ogre which preceded it would have been better on a couple of sections, the muddy bits and the rougher bridleway, but not as good on the majority. 

White Peak by Paul, on Flickr

Strava record for anyone interested:
https://www.strava.com/activities/8555712429

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #31 on: February 15, 2023, 04:27:39 pm »
Wonderful ride account, Paul, much enjoyed.

Best, Dan.

John Saxby

« Reply #32 on: May 09, 2023, 04:44:02 pm »
First post-op rides!

Small steps, but I’ll claim a victory:  just completed my first brief post-op rides on Sunday afternoon and then again yesterday.  😀

Both were deliberately brief, the first about a kilometre around the neighbourhood and then maybe double that yesterday.  Mainly, I wanted to see if my left knee would do what it wouldn’t do two Sundays ago:  exercise enough downward force on the pedal to turn the crank; and then, to repeat.

I probably could have done more distance, but no need for that — the main thing was to reassure myself that I could manage this basic function readily enough to concentrate on other things, like braking and road traffic, mild as the latter was.

All OK, then, and now I can look forward to using my bike for errands like groceries, etc. 

Before anything more demanding, I'll do a few more neighbourhood test rides — my biggest challenge is that I have to think about which foot to put down when I come to a stop, say at an intersection.  Ideally (i.e., As Things Used To Be) I could put down either foot, and then keep the other one on my pedal, held in place by my toe clip.  Then, I would just use the clipped-in foot to do a couple of down-and-up-and-down-again pumps to get me across the intersection.

At the moment, I can only do that with my right leg — my left knee & quad muscles aren’t quite flexible & strong enough to get me smartly across an urban intersection.

But this too will pass, as I'm learning, so maybe in a few weeks' time it'll be across the river and into the hills.

In the "Small mercies" dep't, we've had a cool damp spring so far this year, including an early-April ice storm followed a week later with 30º temps (I'm not making this up!) So, at least I haven't had to deal with the frustration of not being able to enjoy warm sunny weather on the bike. Happily, we've entered early-summer weather just as I'm able to ride safely again. :)
« Last Edit: May 11, 2023, 03:37:31 am by John Saxby »

PH

« Reply #33 on: May 10, 2023, 09:04:33 am »
Well done John, how nice it must feel to be back on the bike. Hope the progress continues and it's not long till you're back in those hills.

in4

« Reply #34 on: May 10, 2023, 09:37:13 am »
Small gains, each day John. Resist the male urge to ‘go for it’ and build your capabilities back up. Just a timely but perhaps appropriate little story from yesterday: I pulled to one side on a canal towpath so a lady could walk by. Whether it was lack of concentration, unfamiliarity with my new rear tyre, not being sufficiently balanced with heavy rear panniers or probably a combination of all three, I ended up in the canal! Thankfully neither I nor my laden Nomad suffered more than a soaking and a bruised ego.
So, take it steady John and make sure your noggin is fully switched on. 😊 🚴 💦

John Saxby

« Reply #35 on: May 11, 2023, 02:32:25 pm »
Thanks, Paul and Ian.

Glad your unintended dip in the canal wasn't too serious, Ian -- but not the surprise you want, for sure. I used to say to my wife, after one of the kids had done something potentially dangerous but got away with it unscathed, "This is how they learn..."

So, your advice to make haste slowly is wise.  On one hand, I'm getting impatient.  On the other, I've learned that although my hips are bilaterally symmetrical, their problems were not.  The left one in particular required some radical manipulation of my knee during the op, to allow access to the joint and its obdurate osteophytes.  That in turn required a lot of freezing, the effects of which remain in my left quad and knee.

So, when I try to do things like pedal a bike other than my trainer, I've had a fair amount of pushback from those quads and the knee: "Bad idea", they say, "No consultation, inadequate notice, yadda yadda yadda."  My standard response is that the floggings will continue until morale improves.

But, I'm still very cautious.  Usually at this time of year, I spend some time beside the Ottawa River, watching the splendour of the spring torrent, both compelling and terrifying. We had about 60% more snow this year than our usual average (360 cms v 220), and upstream in the hills there was even more.  Because April was quite cool overall, the melt was gradual rather than rapid, so the flood is serious but manageable, just.  That said, if one were to fall into the current, the chances of survival are slim:  it's so cold that you'd have just a couple of minutes to get out  :(

Maybe this weekend I'll venture out along one of the riverside paths -- but avoiding those stretches that are anywhere close to the edge.

Cheers, John

Andre Jute

« Reply #36 on: May 11, 2023, 05:29:10 pm »
That sounds like a plan, John. Small steps soon add up to distance. Good luck going forward.

John Saxby

« Reply #37 on: May 15, 2023, 03:34:45 am »
More from the Dep't of Small Victories -

Over the weekend, I've done a few short rides in the neighbourhood, and gradually, am making progress:  The cycling as such is fine, and slowly, I'm becoming more confident and adept at stopping and starting at intersections.

And, all-of-a-sudden, in space of ten days or so, we have tulips blooming everywhere, it seems, and most hardwood trees in the city are rich with early-summer foliage. (This is the benign side of Canada's dramatic seasonal transitions. Alberta is facing unprecedented--an all-too-common word--wildfires, with thousands of rural families evacuated.)

Below, a few photos of flowers and foliage.  Behind the tulips you see (these photos were taken downtown, beside the Rideau Canal) lies a remarkable story. During WW II, the Dutch royal family lived in Ottawa as a government-in-exile. Canadian troops comprised a large portion of the Allied forces which liberated the Netherlands in the spring of 1945.  After the war, the Dutch government thanked Canada with a gift of tulips in perpetuity to Ottawa. 

Yousuf Karsh and his brother Malak, brilliant portrait and landscape photographers respectively, had come to Ottawa in the 1920s (Yousuf) and 1930s (Malak) as refugees from the Armenian genocide. They set up their studio in the centre of the city, close to Parliament Hill and the canal. The tulips gifted by the Dutch reminded them of the flowers they knew in their homeland, and in the early 1950s, the brothers convinced the city's Board of Trade to set up an annual Tulip Festival. That is now marking 70 years.

I've used both Freddie, my Mercury, and my city bike, a Miele, for my short rambles around the neighbourhood. Freddie gets pride of place in the late-morning shade afforded by our colossal silver maple -- the brilliant early-summer foliage you see in the photo is about a third of the height of the tree.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2023, 03:38:10 am by John Saxby »

Andre Jute

« Reply #38 on: May 15, 2023, 04:43:12 am »
What a difference a week makes. Convertible automobile standing outside with the top down! You have a real sharp eye, John. I do believe I met the younger Karsh brother on occasion at our Montreal offices which had a setup for advertising photography, where I would make tours of inspection -- only in the summer, of course, because in the northern winter I was safely detained by incredibly urgent work in the Southern Hemisphere. Those tulips are lovely, not only as flowers but for the memories they evoke.

PH

« Reply #39 on: May 15, 2023, 09:43:43 pm »
Great progress and photos John.

John Saxby

« Reply #40 on: May 16, 2023, 01:45:54 am »
Thanks, Paul.  Managed another neighbourhood ride today, with friend who's just bought an e-bike.  He's my yoga teacher, so was able to give me some advice on my quads.  In exchange, I gave him an spare rear-view mirror and a bottle cage for his new machine.

Convertible automobile standing outside with the top down!

Y'know, Andre, as I looked at that scene, I thought, "Wonder if Andre'll pick up the ragtop?"   ;) ;)

[Full disclosure: Captivated by the foliage,I didn't even notice it.]

Malak's land- and waterscapes were/are extraordinary.  He was esp taken by the log drives on the big rivers of the neighbourhood, and the draveurs (log-drivers) who worked on them. There's a remarkable b & w from about 1946, shot in W Qué some way north of us. It shows a fellow balanced on a log (one of many) in white water, using his peavey to lever other logs free: human strength, agility & balance, atop a dangerous river, relying on his craft and a sturdy wooden-and-metal lever to avert potential catastrophe.

(Sidebar comment:  We rarely see or hear antique words like "peavey" any more.)

Says a lot for Malak that he was entranced by tulips as much as by draveurs, peaveys, and logjams.

« Last Edit: May 16, 2023, 01:50:04 am by John Saxby »

John Saxby

« Reply #41 on: August 14, 2023, 08:51:43 pm »
Across the river and into the trees* -- at last!  (Part 1)

(*Thank you, Mr. Hemingway, for use of the title of your short story in The Green Hills of Africa.  The green hills of this tale aren’t African hills, to be sure, but they are fine green hills nonetheless, and they’re in my neighbourhood.  But because they aren’t African hills, my wee story of course includes no kudu – instead, I wrote about what I could do.)

The day before the summer solstice—seems a long time ago now—I made a long-awaited ride across the Ottawa River and into the Gatineau hills.  Over the first few weeks of June, I’d become quite secure with my stops and starts at intersections, and my brain finally agreed that, yes, I really could put my body weight down on my left foot when I stop the bike.  In the weeks since that first ride, I’ve made several more trips into the Gatineau.  My story about that ride has morphed into a collection of impressions and reactions from several rides in terrain that is at once very familiar, but until recently, unreachable.

Canajan small talk begins with remarks about the weather, and my modest tale of cycling follows that habit.  Serious “weather events” have limited cycling for many people in Ottawa in the past few months – an ice storm in late spring was followed by daytime temps well into the 30s, and in early June, smoke from wildfires in northwestern Québec engulfed the city.  At its worst, the smoke turned the air orange, and pushed our Air Quality Index beyond its maximum of 10.  (Normal daily figures are usually 1 or 2.)  Readers will have seen the apocalyptic photos of Manhattan.  Happily, things cleared enough in mid-June to let me make my first ride across the Ottawa River towards the Gatineau Hills a few days later.  BUT.

My ride on the eve of the solstice proved to be a false dawn (as it were, with apologies for the mixed metaphor):  later that same week, more smoke engulfed the city and surrounds for another three weeks.  I had planned to make another ride into the hills a few days later.  “A few days” turned out to be nearly three full weeks later.  On July 1, Canada Day, the weather gods relented ( = the winds shifted to southerlies and southwesterlies) and sent us hot humid air from the States, goosing it with torrential rain and winds fierce enough to prompt a tornado warning and displace our homegrown smoke overnight.  A bargain of sorts, I guess, although we had little choice in striking it.  And although few would suggest that a humidex in the mid-30s is comfortable, still’n’all a cyclist in it—esp one d’un certain âge—can at least breathe deeply enough to climb a hill.  All that said, a humidex in the low 40s is another proposition altogether, and we’ve had a few of those, too.  And, to keep us on our toes, the early tornado warning was followed by the real thing a few weeks later.  It missed us, thankfully – we had nothing more than torrential rain and a garden full of hailstones the size of golf balls.

So my tale now draws on ten rides.  The earliest were no more than 20 kms in length, each comprising about 90 minutes of cycling from my house up to the southern gate of Gatineau Park.  Not yet into the park “proper”, mind.  Following our son’s professional advice, these were moderately stressful, though they were s’posed to have been repeated, not separated by weeks of high-risk air quality.  But, one does what one can. 

And then, venturing regularly onto the streets and bikepaths that take me across the river, I’m reminded that despite what the poets and tourism-wallahs say we have just two seasons here in Ottawa:  winter and construction, and this year, the latter seems especially intense.  So, my rides into the green hills across the river have become local variations on the old Britrail joke about going to Carlisle.  But, one does what one can.

And now, of course, I realize that between winter and hip operations, I’ve led a sheltered life over the last eight months or so, shielded from the threat that motor traffic holds for a cyclist.  I’ve heard tell that drivers of SUVs and Ford 150 pickups are people too, but my recent anecdotal evidence casts grave doubt on that, so I reckon the jury is still out.  Each ride has included one or more examples of oafish/selfish/dangerous behaviour by motorists, most of them in autobese suburban pickups or SUVs, augmented by an unhealthy dose of high-end German cars.

But, when I finally do make it across the long bridge to the Québec side (under construction, of course, but at least there are protected bike lanes most of the way), then it really is worth the effort, just as I remember it.  In late June, the river was still high, and the canopy offered a cyclist dense midsummer shade – see photos 1 & 2 below.

(Part 2 follows)

John Saxby

« Reply #42 on: August 14, 2023, 09:13:51 pm »
Across the river and into the trees -- at last!   (Part 2)

The bikepaths through the Gatineau hills and woods have a lot of blind corners and switchbacks up and down.  So, I use my bell a lot, to give a heads-up to unseen cyclists and walkers.  The bell is a nice brass Velo Orange item, with a pleasant drawn-out “mini-temple-bell” tone. Occasionally, a walker thanks me with a V.  But now and then, I’m reminded where I am:  my bell brings forth a “Très gentil, m’sieu.”  And my reply of “Plaisir, madame,” is rewarded with a radiant smile.  That’s worth the price of several bells, and beats a tailwind any day.

Ah yes, back to the hills.  Even the short (20 km) ride to the park boundary has a couple of steepish hills, and I wanted to reacquaint myself with hills, and to recover some sense of cadence.  Of course there was pushback from my left-side hip flexors, quads, and my still-stiff knee: “WTF? Hills?  You said nothing about hills.  We signed on for a ride to get you to the park, that’s all.  And what’s this about ‘recovering cadence’?  C’est quoi, ça?”  My response is my standard one: “The floggings will continue until morale improves.”

I increased my distances incrementally along the route to Pink Lake lookout, my usual turnaround point for a short ride in the Gatineau.  The ascent to the lookout Is a standard training hill for go-faster riders, so I felt pleased and relieved to reach it without any drama on July 20, a month after my first ride across the river. 

Photos 3 & 4 below show the lush summer foliage, and a splash of tiger lilies near the river.  And, the seed cones on the roadside sumacs are already plump and full, a deep burgundy red. (Photo 5 below.)

Of course I’m down at least a gear or two on the hills – using 3rd, for example,  where “normally” 4th or 5th is low enough.  But, speed was never the issue for my rides into the hills, and is even less so now.  As a reference point, a friend who uses Strava tells me that the rider who holds the fastest times for the various loops in the Gatieneau is a fella named Mike Woods.  Readers might recognize his name from the climb of the Puy de Dôme in the 9th stage of this year’s T de F.

Because Pink Lake lookout is a regular stop or turnaround point for cyclists in the Gatineau, I often have enjoyable conversations there.  This year is no exception.  A mountain biker greeted me, and remarked on my Rohloff.  What really caught his eye, though, were Freddie’s accessory bars. “Where did you get those?” he said.  So, I told him about Thorn bikes and SJSC, and showed him the different sizes and angles of the T-bars on my bike. 

Another fellow, a few years younger than me, was riding a touring bike from MEC (Mountain Equipment Coop).  We chatted about toe clips and such, and he told me how the smoky skies of June had scuppered his cross-Canada tour: about three days’ ride from Ottawa, he realized that things could get really dangerous to his health, and ended his ride.  His conclusion was sobering enough. “The tour is still in my plans,” he said.  “But who knows when or if the climate crisis will allow it?”

A couple of newcomers (recent, perhaps, and Eastern European?) were chatting with a young distance runner and cyclist about the park’s various routes. They were all very complimentary about my recovery from my op, and startled to learn that I was doing the day’s ride to mark 76 journeys around the sun.

(Recounting these snippets from chance meetings calls to mind an overheard comment from one teenaged girl to another in pre-pandemic times, as pithy a bit of political sociology as one might ever hear:  “Why is this called Pink Lake? Who was Pink?” said one.  Replied her friend, “Some random dude with enough connections to get a land grant, I expect.”)

To be continued in a few weeks’ time …
« Last Edit: August 14, 2023, 09:37:57 pm by John Saxby »

Andre Jute

« Reply #43 on: August 14, 2023, 11:31:33 pm »
John! Welcome back! Apologies first: I seem to have missed your interesting post of 16 May on Malak Karsh, which is by itself a great piece in a single paragraph. I had a Canadian dollar bill once, Yousuf's portrait of the young Elizabeth II on one side, on the other a photo across the river, logs and a boat in the river, to the imposing piles of Canadian government on their hill. It probably was in a cellophane envelope (to keep both sides visible) in a sketchbook I sold to a very insistent Japanese gallery which already had two portraits in oil I'd painted of the families of Japanese clients.

Glad to hear you're back on your feet and on the bike.

I’ve heard tell that drivers of SUVs and Ford 150 pickups are people too.

Where'd you ever hear such heresy? They're perhaps not quite as murderous as Range Rover drivers, but it's a fine distinction.

Your photograph of the orange flowers is an elegant composition, nicely balanced in diagonals across the vertical. You might say that the benign artistic influence of The Brothers Karsh abides.

John Saxby

« Reply #44 on: August 16, 2023, 04:09:16 pm »
Thank you, Andre.  Glad you liked the ref to the Karsh brothers, and to Malak's landscape photography.  And, I'm impressed that you had a copy of the old $1.00 note.  That photo on the back was an icon for so many of us, and a reminder that Ottawa was until quite recently, a lumber town. (Confess I didn't pay as much attention to the photo of Liz...)

Ten days ago, we gained another cycling/pedestrian bridge across the river.  This one is a repurposed railway bridge dating from the 1880s. Once named the Prince of Wales bridge, it's been renamed the William Commanda Bridge, honouring an Algonquin elder who was chief of the Kitigan Zibi First Nation, some distance north of Ottawa. It's just upstream from downtown, where the river is nearly a mile wide.  Have been across it a few times already, and both the views and the structure are splendid.  (But I don't yet have any decent photos.)  It sits about a kilometre upstream from the setting for Malak's photo.  Separating the two are the Chaudière (boiling pot) Falls, dammed about a hundred years ago.

And, thanks as always for your kind words about my photo of the tiger lilies.

Cheers,  John