Author Topic: +++Rides 2023+++Add yours here+++  (Read 19635 times)

RonS

+++Rides 2023+++Add yours here+++
« on: January 16, 2023, 06:16:53 pm »
Well, somebody had to be first. I guess it's me. Yesterday was actually my second ride of the year. The day previous I had ridden along the seashore enjoying sunshine and temps of 13C. I wasn't on the Raven, so no bike in the picture. Yesterday was quite dreary with a few showers. It wasn't particularly photogenic. If you check out the Raven, though, you'll see that it's all loaded up. This was my first test pack and ride for my upcoming retirement ride!
Sometime around the middle of August I will arrive in Sapporo, Japan and spend the next two months meandering around Hokkaido and toward the Goto Islands, at the opposite end. This will be my first full on camping tour, and I have spent the last 8 months patiently waiting for all the sales while I procured my kit.
Back to the ride. I have used the raven for half a dozen credit card tours, with only about 10kg in the panniers. Yesterday I had 12kg in my shiny new Arkel 45s (bought on sale) and had about 5kg on the front, with the tent strapped to the handlebars (Nemo Dragonfly Bikepack 2, on sale of course). I wasn't two blocks from the house before I thought, wow, this bike is amazing! I had done an overnight camping trip in September on my rando bike, with the load split between small panniers on the front low loader, a large handlebar bag, and a Carradice Nelson Longflap in the back. That trip was to see if the rando bike would be suitable for the Japan trip. It wasn't. The Raven, on the other hand, seemed to be telling me "It's about time you used me for what Andy designed me for. Let's go!" The Raven seemed happy to be carrying the load. I'll be happy to oblige.
OK. That's my story. Let's hear some more.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2023, 08:40:38 pm by RonS »

John Saxby

Re: +++Rides 2023+++Add yours here+++
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2023, 02:18:10 am »
Hey, Ron!  Good to hear from you, mate, and -- a retirement ride the length of Japan, later this coming summer.  What. Great. News!!

And, sounds as if you've properly equipped your Raven -- it will take you wherever you go, I'm sure of it.

My "Rides of 2023" will probably begin only in late April/early May -- am scheduled for my second hip surgery (left side) 6-plus weeks hence, in early March.  With any kind of luck, I'll be back on my bike around the time the ice and snow are finally gone from the roads in & around Ottawa -- by mid-April in the city, and maybe late April in the Gatineau.

Cheers,  John

PH

« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2023, 10:53:53 am »
Lovely photo's Ron and the bike's looking great.
Trying not to be jealous of your Japan trip.... nope failed on that one. Have you been before? I haven't, my daughter had her long honeymoon there and says it's the most fascination place she's ever been and she's far more travelled than I. Is camping popular in Japan?  I know they have a thriving cycling community, and some collectors of oddities.  A few years ago I eBay'd some obscure cycling books from paraphernalia for a club mates widow, I was surprised how many bids we got from japan and a good proportion of it ending up there. 
I know what you mean about the feel of a loaded Raven, for loaded trips I've never ridden anything like it.  Mine has long gone, I wasn't doing enough of that sort of riding to keep it.
Some good kit you've assembled, hope you found the bargains you were hoping for, is that all of it loaded?  Looks reasonably compact for a long trip.  I like the tent, probably not ideal for UK conditions, though the layout, particularly sleeping across the door is just what suits me.  Are you carrying cooking kit? I've spent years getting this wrong, either too much or not enough, I finally settled on enough to boil water and no more, though my trips are not the length of yours.... Maybe when/if I retire!

Andre Jute

« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2023, 04:11:46 pm »
Super photos, Ron. Looking forward to your Japan trip. Never mind the cooking implements, a spare battery for the camera is essential!

RonS

« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2023, 03:43:15 am »
Thanks for the kind words, everyone! Unfortunately, I’m not retired yet, and working a compressed work week means time is precious until the weekend.
That, and my kindergarten level keyboarding skill means this is all I have time for until Saturday.
Full length post and all questions answered then.
Stay tuned!

RonS

« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2023, 07:50:58 pm »
Another work week done, another week closer to the bike trip.

John, I wish you speedy recovery from your hip surgery and look forward to more of your wonderfully described and photographed rides. I recall another post somewhere where you were contemplating an autumn tour of the maritimes, maybe 2024. If you want company, count me in!

PH, I spent 2 1/2 weeks in Japan in 2018, when my daughter was there with the JET programme, teaching English. I was smitten, and vowed to return, with a bike.
Camping is popular in Japan, and, better still, there are almost limitless opportunities to free camp, and have washing facilities nearby.
I did forget a few items on test ride #1, like spare shoes, some of the camera kit, and a couple of odds and ends, but it was mostly complete. Chalk up the compactness to compression stuff sacks.
My cooking kit is fairly basic: Pocket Rocket stove, a pot, a bowl a plate and cutlery. I don't anticipate using it too much. Tasty filling food for cyclists is everywhere and inexpensive.
I hope the tent will withstand UK conditions, because the North Sea cycle route is on my bucket list! I will actually be in the UK in May. The daughter that worked in Japan currently works in the Cotswolds. It won't be a cycle tour, though, other than a few day rides.

Andre, 2 spare batteries and an extra memory card already in the bag!

Best to all

Ron

PS Post 100. I'm a Full Member!
« Last Edit: January 21, 2023, 08:06:26 pm by RonS »

Andre Jute

« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2023, 11:52:56 pm »
Congratulations on becoming a full member, Ron. Heartened to hear about "2 spare batteries and an extra memory card already in the bag!"

PH

« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2023, 10:14:02 am »
First full days ride of 2023 and I certainly felt it.  I’ve been getting out with the local CTC group Thursdays and Sundays, though this time of year they keep the rides fairly short and local.  I’m trying to build some mileage and fitness so although these 40 mile two café rides are sociable, they’re not helping that.
This weeks Thursday ride was going out in a direction I like, the Vale of Belvoir (Pronounced beavor) so adding a loop could include a few more hills than I’ve done of late, and a World famous Melton Mowbray Pork Pie. In case this fame hasn’t spread to the international readers of this forum – It’s a bit different to most other pork pies in that the meat is cured, giving it an unappetising grey colour, though the taste is (IMO) superior.  So unique that it has geographical protection,  that is you can only call it a Melton Mowbray is that’s where it was made.  It actually came about as the by-product of another geographically protected product, Stilton Cheese (Which you can’t make in Stilton! These things are complicated!!) Cheese = wasted whey = keep pigs to use it = what to do with the pork? = cure it and stick it in a pie for the huntsmen.
So, the CTC group met in a café a few miles outside Derby, I caught a couple of other riders on the way and we chatted along the mucky riverside path.  Good sized group, 14, about the limit for this club, when there’s more we split into two groups.  After coffee, out along some country lanes, past the power station burning the last of the coal stockpiled decades ago, a bit of cycle track along a main road and back onto country lanes.  The group then turned back towards Derby and the intended lunch café.
Although that sounded tempting, I turned left when they turned right.  A gentle, almost unnoticeable, climb for the next ten miles, followed by a blistering half mile descent to lose that hight gained.   There was a major road improvement in the area a few years ago and some of the country lanes have been cut in half by the major new highway, with limited ways to cross it.  A bit tough for the local motorists, but there’s various byways and bridleways now only possible on non-motorised transport so a plus for cyclists.
Up to this point I’d been travelling East, I now turned South, into the rolling hills, then dropping down into the vale.  The views are pleasant without being exceptionally scenic, the weather as grey as a MM pie with the odd threat of rain, a few spots but not enough to get wet. Last few miles into Melton on a main road that thankfully wasn’t busy.
And a Pork Pie.

Pie-shop by Paul, on Flickr

The first couple of miles out of town were again on main road, then turning into a housing estate had me wondering if I’d plotted the right route, no fear as there was a lovely country lane out the other side.  In the next ten miles I don’t thing I saw more than five cars, though it’s a popular lane with walkers and dog-walkers. And rolling, up and down, no flat at all, I was finding it quite tough and weighing up what the train options were. There’s little to say about the next twenty miles, very pleasant without being spectacular, through some lovely villages.  Riding on country lanes and a few sections of cycle track.
Then into and through the only urban area of the day other than Melton, the town of Loughborough, which you can transverse all on cycle track.  This was realistically my last train option, 20 miles from home, but I was feeling OK and now off the hills and a flat finish, so I plodded on, though watching the average speed drop!
The last section was a 50/50 mix of quiet lanes and track, some of it rough and mucky. It had become dark and I was glad I’d brought my powerful light to supplement the dynamo lighting, though leaving the bar bag at home had been irritating, I’ve still to work that compromise out. Last ten miles on the Cloud Trail which is converted rail track, then a section of canal, followed by ex-canal which passes my door.
 82 miles, and 1,000 meters of climb, less than it felt, though it’s all concentrated in the middle third. I’d used the Nomad, I’d known it would be mucky in places.  That’s the longest ride it’s done, very comfortable, some sections I would have expected to be faster on the Mercury, but all in all, the right choice. The only issue was on some of those tracks I was picking up a lot of muck under the front guard, that would grind away for a while, I stopped and pocked some out after one particularly bad section.  The clearance under the guard maybe isn’t enough for a 40mm Almotion on these sorts of rides, I have a 35mm marathon somewhere I might swap and see how that feels. A more radical solution would be converting to 650B, it’s a bike with a lot of options!

Gravel by Paul, on Flickr

For any Strava users interested - The route is here:
https://www.strava.com/activities/8456902725

« Last Edit: January 27, 2023, 10:23:49 am by PH »

kwkirby01

« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2023, 12:30:04 pm »
That sounds like an agreeable ride, Paul and perfect for the Nomad as you have it configured. Aside from speed, would you have noticed much difference had you used the Mercury?
What size is the Nomad frame? To my eye, it has better proportions than the images in the brochure. Kevin
Kevin K. Glasgow

PH

« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2023, 03:38:57 pm »
That sounds like an agreeable ride, Paul and perfect for the Nomad as you have it configured. Aside from speed, would you have noticed much difference had you used the Mercury?
What size is the Nomad frame? To my eye, it has better proportions than the images in the brochure. Kevin
Both my Thorns are 610L, though the geometry is different. I think the 700c bikes look better proportioned in the larger sizes, though 26" wheels look better in the smaller.  I'm undecided about the aesthetics of 650B.
The bike comparisons are subjective.
I could have done this ride on either.  I'd have been flying on the Mercury and done it in half the time, no, not really! The Mercury would have been faster and more fun on the sweeping descents on good roads, the Nomad (Particularly the 40mm Almotions) was more confidence inspiring on the mucky ones.  I'd have taken more care picking my line on the rough tracks with the Merc...  Mixed routes are always a compromise, if I do this, or a similar ride, on a dry summer's day, I might choose different compromises and use the Mercury. I do feel more through the saddle and bars on the Nomad, I'd have been surprised if that wasn't so.  I was glad to get home and step off the bike, though I'd never thought about needing a break, any aches today are from exertion rather than discomfort.  That's it really, the Mercury does feel more sporty and the Nomad more of a plodder, I can't say why, I'm not even going to disagree with anyone who says it's imagination!
Bike Calculator, which I find a reliable comparison even if the numbers seem a bit off, suggests I'd have been home 7 minutes earlier on the Mercury, that sounds about right, though it doesn't account for the Nomad probably being faster on the rough tracks. As they're set up, on reasonable roads,  I'd expect there to be 15 min per 100km difference, that's quite significant on a 200km+ Audax, but wasn't yesterday.

http://bikecalculator.com/
« Last Edit: January 27, 2023, 03:43:19 pm by PH »

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #10 on: January 27, 2023, 04:09:45 pm »
Lovely bike! Wonderful ride report and terrific photos, Paul; well done on those and on the ride. It's early days yet and you'll do fine as you log more mileage, hopefully with more ride reports like this one.

Completely off-topic but the food discussion brought to mind some recent experiments I've been doing, dry-cold aging meat in my evaporative refrigerator. Sliced and placed on a rack above a cookie sheet in front of the incoming blower at the top, it has been working fine. The dry cold prevents putrefaction while the enzymes break down the tougher parts in cheaper cuts of meat making for a tender and tasty result. Reminds me of how self-pickled mackerel works in the UK. Anyway, for those who are curious, the magic time for aging seems to be 5 days for beef, 2-3 for lamb.

Either would make for a terrific meat pie, IMHO, and plan to try that soon. Also plan on making mint cheese (yes) from yogurt. There. My off-topic contributions for the month.  :D

Best, Dan.

Andre Jute

« Reply #11 on: January 28, 2023, 08:02:26 am »
Super report, Paul. I can taste the pie. Sainsbury's at Cambridge used to stock it. But the crowning achievement of that report is the photo of a real lane...

"There. My off-topic contributions for the month.  :D" ex Danneaux. Want me to help out, Dan?

PH

« Reply #12 on: February 07, 2023, 09:15:59 am »
Been very lucky with the weather over the last few days, though with a cold snap forecast and a reminder that Winter isn’t over (Yes, I know, some of you will be thinking us in the UK don’t know what winter is  :o) I thought I’d better make the most of it.
A train assisted linier route for this one, rather than a loop, to get away from the most familiar. The Nomad’s first train trip. Doncaster is a start location I’ve used before, it’s an easy and cheap train ride for me, about the right distance, has a wide choice of routes South, including some of my favourite areas, It’s also one of those towns that despite it’s urban, industrial appearance is very easy to escape, whichever direction you go it isn’t long before getting into the countryside. I’m almost embarrassed to admit, I know nothing of Doncaster other than the railway station and way out!   Maybe one day I ought to go and spend the day…
So first cheap train out leaves a bit later than I’d have preferred, and arrives Doncaster at 10.30,  half an hour later I’ve passed over the by-pass and under the motorway, climbed a gentle hill and am rewarded by being on lovely country lanes with hardly any traffic and pleasant views.

IMG_20230206_120606 by Paul, on Flickr

A minor navigation issue at the crest of a hill, it looked like there were two options, neither of which my Garmin was pointing me towards, the third and correct option was through a gap in the hedge and onto a rough looking bridleway.  Once I’d gone a couple of hundred meters it became clear this was an abandoned road, still marked as such on my mapping.  Back on the country lanes a few km later, through some quiet and picturesque villages all with splendid churches.  Stopped for a sandwich in one of them, then into the town of Worksop.
I have a bit of history with Worksop, it featured on my first ever mini cycle tour, the cycle route from York to Derby.  Pre GPS and smartphone days, I was completely defeated following the map and signage and after at least one full circuit of the town I gave up and used the sorts of roads I’d rather avoid.  Despite having passed through the town several times since, it’s never been on this trajectory.  Having done so yesterday, I feel a lot better about my previous failure.  Even with a Garmin the route is hard to find, through some housing estates, down an ally, along a track that looks private, a footbridge over the by-pass, another housing estate and, phew, out the other side!
The area South of Worksop is known as the Dukeries, I’ve written about it before so won’t repeat it (Link below), other than say it’s a splendid area for cycling, quite roads and lots of easy off-road, I’ve ridden through dozens of times and doubt I’ll ever tire of it.  There’s enough choice to take a different route each time, though even the same route at a different time of year has something new to offer.

IMG_20230206_133250 by Paul, on Flickr

A little over half way and it was already late afternoon, I hadn’t been pushing it, though had expected to be a bit further on.  The route so far had been undulating, nothing particularly difficult, but not flat either, around 800 meters in 80km. I’d left home with heavy frost on the ground and it’d been clear blue skies all day, I was wondering how cold it would be when that sun went down and how long I’d be out.  I needn’t have been concerned, as in the previous ride, once South of Clumber Park the road flattens out.  I was back on a familiar route, through Southwell with its stunning Minster and dropping down to follow the river Trent.  Through Nottingham on decent cycle track and back onto even more familiar roads home.

IMG_20230206_174028 by Paul, on Flickr

I’d deviated from the planned route a couple of times, once to follow a nice looking bridleway instead of the plotted road and once on autopilot near home.  Looking at the Garmin as I pulled up to my door I noticed I hadn’t done the planned 100 miler! 3 miles short!! Should I go round the block to make it up? I did almost consider it, but no, I’m not so obsessed with numbers. It’d been a lovely ride and doing so would detract rather than add to that.  Anyway, if I did want to claim it I could add on the unrecorded ride to the station on the morning, which would just about push me over…
Nomad was perfect, it now has a 40mm Marathon Racer on the front which is a couple of mm narrower than a 40mm Almotion and a different profile, so I no longer get mud stuck under the guard.  I think it loses a bit of comfort, but not enough to be an issue and I haven’t played with pressures yet.  I didn’t take a bar bag as I wanted to use a handlebar light in addition to the dynamo one.  Missed the bag, probably just twenty years of habit, but I’ll find a way too have both.

Strava record for anyone who uses it and is interested:
https://www.strava.com/activities/8517492908

Previous trip to the Duckeries:
http://thorncyclesforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=14104.msg105926#msg105926

« Last Edit: February 07, 2023, 09:33:54 am by PH »

John Saxby

« Reply #13 on: February 07, 2023, 04:21:32 pm »
Brilliant stuff, Paul, and I'm sooo envious: not only do you not have Winter, you have a train network

Andre Jute

« Reply #14 on: February 07, 2023, 05:43:11 pm »
Brilliant stuff, Paul, and I'm sooo envious: not only do you not have Winter, you have a train network!

+1. Canada has a brilliant train service if you want to travel across the continent at speed and in style, through some of the most majestic scenery in the world, but not so much if you're planning to get off in some place with an interesting name and continue the journey another day.