Author Topic: Oil change therapy  (Read 7825 times)

John Saxby

Re: Oil change therapy
« Reply #30 on: October 10, 2020, 04:44:11 pm »
Marmite is intended to be spread thinly on bread or toast and covered by sliced banana

Ah -- this might explain why a friend from California whom I knew in Zambia years ago used to eat Marmite spread thinly on toast, then covered with peanut butter. (PB & bananas being a Thing, esp in the U.S.)

Mike Ayling

« Reply #31 on: October 11, 2020, 07:29:58 am »
I thought the preferred snack was peanut butter and jelly (aka jam for a lot our members) in the land of the free and home of the brave.

Mike

JohnR

« Reply #32 on: May 30, 2021, 09:53:20 pm »
It's only 2,100 miles since the last oil change but the arrival of warmer weather prompted me to change the oil. It definitely flows better in warm weather and is more willing to be sucked out of the hub so not enough time to boil a kettle.

There's still plenty of fine metal in the oil (the bigger particles in the photo are contamination from the stick that I used to stir the oil before the photo). How many miles before the used oil looks more like oil and less like metal particle soup?

Matt2matt2002

« Reply #33 on: May 30, 2021, 10:40:36 pm »
It's only 2,100 miles since the last oil change but the arrival of warmer weather prompted me to change the oil. It definitely flows better in warm weather and is more willing to be sucked out of the hub so not enough time to boil a kettle.

There's still plenty of fine metal in the oil (the bigger particles in the photo are contamination from the stick that I used to stir the oil before the photo). How many miles before the used oil looks more like oil and less like metal particle soup?

Interesting picture and info.
May I ask how many previous oil changes have been carried out and age of hub?

Best

Matt
Never drink and drive. You may hit a bump  and spill your drink

JohnR

« Reply #34 on: May 31, 2021, 08:42:04 am »
Interesting picture and info.
May I ask how many previous oil changes have been carried out and age of hub?
This was the second oil change at 4446 miles. The first, in early December 2020, was at 2327 miles (bike bought new in July 2020). I suspect that the first change wasn't so good at flushing out the muck (although plenty came out) due to the oil being more viscous. I was originally expecting to get through to the spring before needing to change the oil but clocked up the miles faster than I expected.

PH

« Reply #35 on: May 31, 2021, 11:01:14 am »
I can't make the photo out, my oil just comes out black, my newest hub has had oil changes at about 1,000 and 3,000 miles, any metal particles were too small for the naked eye, mine anyway. 
Square cut gears do wear in, that's a good thing, rather than something to worry about. 

Andre Jute

« Reply #36 on: May 31, 2021, 09:58:46 pm »
I can't make the photo out, my oil just comes out black, my newest hub has had oil changes at about 1,000 and 3,000 miles, any metal particles were too small for the naked eye, mine anyway. 
Square cut gears do wear in, that's a good thing, rather than something to worry about.

Use a magnet (a fridge magnet does well) in the oil to attract the filings so you can see them, or rub some of the dirty oil between the fingers of one hand while with the fingers of other hand rubbing clean oil to feel the difference, which is iron filings.

PH

« Reply #37 on: May 31, 2021, 10:31:07 pm »
Here's what it says on the Rohloff website:
In the first 1000km use, the Rohloff SPEEDHUB 500/14 loses microscopic particles from all functioning components as part of the hubs last fine filing.