Author Topic: Oil change therapy  (Read 7942 times)

steve216c

Re: Oil change therapy
« Reply #15 on: September 30, 2020, 07:06:16 pm »
My bad. I misread the original post that back in the early days only 1 liter bottles were available as 1 liter bottles were no longer available

Must have been the Tetley tea steaming up my reading glasses.

:o
« Last Edit: October 01, 2020, 07:58:05 am by steve216c »
If only my bike shed were bigger on the inside...

Matt2matt2002

« Reply #16 on: September 30, 2020, 09:49:22 pm »
I usually tag on oil to any order I place with SJS.
For the previous two orders the small bottles have been out of stock. Fortunately, I have a small supply in stock myself.
Fingers crossed I don't have to go for the 1 litre sizes.
Never drink and drive. You may hit a bump  and spill your drink

Andre Jute

« Reply #17 on: October 01, 2020, 01:25:59 pm »

Only too right. Real men drink stewed Red Bush Tea with condensed milk from a tin.

energyman

« Reply #18 on: October 01, 2020, 04:12:07 pm »

Only too right. Real men drink stewed Red Bush Tea with condensed milk from a tin.

Don't wish to sound snobbish but I always use a mug or a cup.
The thought of Conni Onni with tea takes me way back to watchkeeping days.......

John Saxby

« Reply #19 on: October 01, 2020, 07:03:41 pm »
Condensed milk with tea is Yer Essential Restorative for me -- even today, our daughter says, "Reminds me of paddling and camping, Dad!"  Friends just roll their eyes when the subject is mentioned -- no accounting for taste, is there?

Speaking of which, I have to declare myself a heretic, Andre -- I never developed a taste for rooibos, tho' I'm very fond of honeybos.

OTOH, the best black tea I've ever had remains Tanganda--with condensed milk, of course--from the Vumba in Zimbabwe's Eastern Highlands. It's very hard to get these days, for all the reasons we know about, but a friend sent me half a kilo not long ago.  It's jealously guarded, handed out only to the handful of friends who've ever heard of it.

PH

« Reply #20 on: October 01, 2020, 08:08:16 pm »
I usually tag on oil to any order I place with SJS.
For the previous two orders the small bottles have been out of stock. Fortunately, I have a small supply in stock myself.
Fingers crossed I don't have to go for the 1 litre sizes.
I know in the grand scheme of things it can be considered a minor annual expense, still I couldn't bring myself to pay £250+ a litre for oil that's available for £90 or £60.

steve216c

« Reply #21 on: October 08, 2020, 08:22:07 am »

:o good tea needs no condensed milk. Or any milk. Germans love to drop condensed milk into their tea  :-\ (shudder!). Only good if you need to hide the full flavour of poor quality teas.  Same as 'Starbuck' type flavourings added to mask lower quality coffee.  A decent cuppa char or joe can be savoured if the quality is right without the need to dilute it with milk, flavourings or other temptations.

On the other hand- while I ponder what drink I'll savour during my oil change later this month, I wonder how my bike would enjoy the added flavour of Speedhub oil mixed with a drop of methylated spirits or a dash E10 unleaded added just for the fun of it?  ;D
If only my bike shed were bigger on the inside...

leftpoole

« Reply #22 on: October 08, 2020, 10:40:31 am »
Condensed Milk! The stuff of nightmare reminders of childhood. Ugh horrible stuff.......

rafiki

• rafikiPHOTO
« Reply #23 on: October 08, 2020, 10:58:06 am »
Lovely stuff! As a kid in the fifties I used to eat it by the spoonful. I don't drink tea but it's quite nice in coffee.
Brian.

John Saxby

« Reply #24 on: October 08, 2020, 02:17:32 pm »
C'mon you lot.  Everyone knows that it was condensed milk and bread and dripping that got the Brits through Their Darkest Hour.  (Not together, mind...)

Anecdotal-and-unassailable confirmation: A few years ago, I was sitting on a bench beside my camp on the Rideau Canal, cuppa tea'n'condensed milk in hand, when a 70-ish gent walked by and said hello.  He had a hint of a northern European accent--I was guessing Dutch. We chatted, and I asked him if he'd like some tea, apologizing that I had good black tea, but only some condensed milk. He said, "I love that stuff! It reminds me of my childhood." "Oh?" sez I, "how so?" He said, "I was born in Holland, and when I was about seven, just before the war, my family moved to the UK. Throughout the war, we had only condensed milk, and it's my overwhelming memory of that time, and a good one. Strange thing is, almost nobody uses condensed milk nowadays, and some people haven't even heard of it."

"Ah," sez I. ""Tis only a few connoisseurs that know this secret. Who'd ever have guessed, eh?"
« Last Edit: October 08, 2020, 02:20:31 pm by John Saxby »

PH

« Reply #25 on: October 08, 2020, 02:50:26 pm »
I have nothing against Condensed Milk in its rightful place, which is neither in red bush or coffee, these should contain nothing else but water.

rafiki

• rafikiPHOTO
« Reply #26 on: October 08, 2020, 04:37:55 pm »
C'mon you lot.  Everyone knows that it was condensed milk and bread and dripping that got the Brits through Their Darkest Hour.  (Not together, mind...)

Sugar sandwiches, too!
Brian.

Andre Jute

« Reply #27 on: October 09, 2020, 02:13:16 am »
You Knights of the Secret Handshake of the Condensed Milk Brotherhood of Long-range Bicycle Tourers should be careful how you proselytise. On a writer's chat group we were talking about the age-old battle between Good and Ev-- sorry, I mean Vegemite and Marmite. An American writer who'd never heard of either put in an order to Amazon to try Marmite and the next thing we heard Amazon was delivering USD90's worth of Marmite to her every month and she was eating it out of the bottle with a spoon, and wasn't keen at all to believe us when we explained that Marmite is intended to be spread thinly on bread or toast and covered by sliced banana.

Another oddie. I was listening on the radio to the manager of the British team of teenage stunt cyclists or mud pluggers, anyhow the fellows on the amazing little nimble bikes, being interviewed. He said that their instant energy food of choice was Fig Rolls, because they contain just the correct balance of sugar and starch, and fat correctly to schedule its release as energy. I knew something of this already: as a young rugby player at Stellenbosch under Danie Craven, by training a physiologist, we were fed a diet of steak and boiled potatoes (yech!); I had, all by myself, without knowing anything of the theory, arrived at Fig Rolls as my handlebar energy boost of choice.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2020, 11:42:36 pm by Andre Jute »

Matt2matt2002

« Reply #28 on: October 09, 2020, 05:15:08 pm »
This is spooky.
Only yesterday I found out why Marmite is so named.
Those interested will be chatting to Mr.Google shortly.
Never drink and drive. You may hit a bump  and spill your drink

Andre Jute

« Reply #29 on: October 09, 2020, 08:03:12 pm »
This is spooky.
Only yesterday I found out why Marmite is so named.
Those interested will be chatting to Mr.Google shortly.

From the Oxford Dictionary:
'a proper Marmite sitcom, which people are either utterly loving or totally despising' [.] 'There is a possibility that they'll become the Marmite of Manchester's music scene and half of the local audience will find them impossible to love.'