Author Topic: Light weight on a RST  (Read 7389 times)

RST Scout

• Janet
Light weight on a RST
« on: February 01, 2017, 09:21:05 pm »
Hi All,
I know that the maximum I can carry on a Thorn RST is 17Kg but I'm only very light (105lb/47.6Kg). Would I be able to carry more than the recommended weight? 17Kg is not much if you are camping.

Janet
Scout & Bettina's slave!

jags

Re: Light weight on a RST
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2017, 09:29:39 pm »
Yes of course u could thorn is just playing safe.if I break my audax carrying my gear I'll melt the bike burie  it in my front garden.seriously tho why would u want to overload the bike going as light as possible will only make for easier cycling that's a fact.two panniers and barbag should be plenty enough with csrefull planning.

jags

« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2017, 09:30:52 pm »
BTW did u get the bike ;)

RST Scout

• Janet
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2017, 05:02:53 pm »
Hopefully in the next few weeks. ;D ;D ;D
Scout & Bettina's slave!

RST Scout

• Janet
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2017, 05:09:55 pm »
Yes of course u could thorn is just playing safe.if I break my audax carrying my gear I'll melt the bike burie  it in my front garden.seriously tho why would u want to overload the bike going as light as possible will only make for easier cycling that's a fact.two panniers and barbag should be plenty enough with csrefull planning.

To tell the truth I have no idea how much my camping kit weighs. In years gone by, I went Youth Hosteling and carried enough doing that! ::)  I could while away a rainy afternoon weighing everything.

Janet
Scout & Bettina's slave!

jags

« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2017, 05:48:12 pm »
Janet i must get Dan to post his lightweight kit very clever packing list everything a fella or even a gal could need for a tour. i#, a member of the fellclub in the uk  only ever been to one of there meets in watlington The Benson cycle rally. great week of camping and  craic with the lads and lassies mind u they could not understand a word i was saying  ;D ;D
anyhow  a lot of these lads a very experience tourers all makes and sizes,  one of the lads said to me if you get your kit right it doesn't have to be heavy and it will do you for a overnighter or a world tour .
i see guys on utube loaded for bear 4 panniers barbag and some even hauling a trailer  WHY in gods name would a fella carry that much gear besides  it been hard work it must cost a feckin fortune.
so my advice foe what it's worth  go light  2 rear pannier barbag should be plenty for any tour .
i sure hope you get this new bike you wont be disappointed there super bikes quality all the way .

anto.

rualexander

« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2017, 06:23:22 pm »
How about Mark Beaumont's lightweight set up for his Africa Solo tour from Cairo to Cape Town?
Bikepacking gear is the way to go for real lightweight travel.
His bike was on display at Edinburgh Airport when we went on holiday in September :

jags

« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2017, 06:37:57 pm »
wow he's a fantastic cyclist and lovely guy. ;)

RST Scout

• Janet
« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2017, 11:10:33 pm »
mind u they could not understand a word i was saying  ;D ;D
 for any tour .

anto.

LOL
Scout & Bettina's slave!

RST Scout

• Janet
« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2017, 11:14:36 pm »
How about Mark Beaumont's lightweight set up for his Africa Solo tour from Cairo to Cape Town?

A bit too minimalist for me Rual. Not with all the c**p I seem to 'need' ::)
Scout & Bettina's slave!

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #10 on: February 04, 2017, 04:43:16 am »
Janet i must get Dan to post his lightweight kit very clever packing list everything a fella or even a gal could need for a tour.
Janet,

While my expeditions see me carrying 'most everything but the kitchen sink (at least 26.5l/26.5kg is water, plus lots of food so I can remain self-sufficient for extended periods away from resupply), I've also developed a lighter weight packing scheme using a Carradice Camper Longflap, augmented on occasion with my 8.5l (Large) Ortlieb Ultimate V handlebar bag.

You can see my setup here:
http://thorncyclesforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=11787.msg85858#msg85858

Total weight for the packed Carradice Camper Longflap including the bag itself is 6.41kg/14.1lb complete except for food, which is variable. Packed items would be good for camping from late Spring to early Fall in my locale. It holds a complete stove with fuel and cookset, sleeping bag and mattress, tent with fly and footprint, a complete spare set of cycling clothes plus cycling tights and longsleeve fleece-lined jersey for cool weather, tools and full rain gear from head to toe. A setup similar to this would surely work on your forthcoming RST, Janet. It carries very nicely on even my lighter weight 11.3k-14.5kgg road-touring bikes and the 20kg Nomad doesn't even know it is attached.

All the best,

Dan.

jags

« Reply #11 on: February 04, 2017, 09:30:35 am »
Class act Dan.

energyman

« Reply #12 on: February 04, 2017, 05:56:19 pm »
I once loaded my RST up to the limit (with the help of some building bricks) just to see the effect.  Never again, as it fell over and I had to unload it to get it up right :)
But, bless it , nothing bent or broke and had I the strength to upright it I could have had ridden it but not very far.

jags

« Reply #13 on: February 04, 2017, 09:38:53 pm »
Hi All,
I know that the maximum I can carry on a Thorn RST is 17Kg but I'm only very light (105lb/47.6Kg). Would I be able to carry more than the recommended weight? 17Kg is not much if you are camping.

Janet
when Marco pantani. Was in his best form condition he weighed 47kg,I can't help but think ,Janet is a super fit cyclist and a fifty mile spin at speed would be no problem to her or as per usual anti has this all wrong yet again. ;D

Javier

« Reply #14 on: February 05, 2017, 03:37:39 pm »
I agree with previous comments that you can tour pretty light in weight and volume. Ultra light gear helps, a good example are down sleeping bags vs synthetics, a winter synthetic sleeping bag, even compressed, will take a full rear pannier. However, ultra light gear is not the answer, what it really makes the difference is your philosophy of traveling and how good you are at feeling comfortable and self-sufficient just carrying a few things.

When solo-touring in South America along Carretera Austral I saw two North American lads on carbon frame mountain bikes carrying only bar and saddle bags and their tent tied to the handle bar. They were riding as hell between villages, relying on daily accommodation and food supplies. That is not my way of touring. I like to enjoy the scenery, nature and be self-sufficient on water and food for at least 3 days, so I can wandering around if I want to, without any urge of resupplying, cycling emptied stomach or asking for water to the odd passing by truck.

I also agree that you need pretty much the same gear for a 3-day trip than for a month tour, in many of my trips food and water are the heaviest items of my load. I always try to reduce the number of pieces of luggage and loose items on the bike, the less pieces the easier to set the bike every morning, move the bike and luggage in buses, trains, trucks, wade streams or small rivers, you name it.  If I want to be light I can easily tour with only two rear panniers and a 20 l dry bag. In the dry bag I carry a solo tent, mattress and a down sleeping bag. In the panniers: a small dry bag with clothes, a mesh bag with small items (knife, torch, sewing kit, tooth brush, water bags, ...), a mesh bag with a cooking set (spoon, gas or petrol stove, depending on the country), and still plenty spare room for food and extra water, and that is pretty much all. I tie the 20 l dry bag with 3 elastic cords along the length of a Thorn rack, so I can open the panniers without having to remove the 20 l dry bag. I do not use bar bags, as I like to keep my handle bar clear of gadgets (only a tiny basic computer) and see the front wheel, and I dislike anything attached to the tubes (bags, pumps,...), or loosely attached to the bike, or rattling inside the panniers, other than bottles in their respective tube holders. If I need extra carrying capacity for very long trips, winter touring or desert crossings, them I use front panniers on the Thorn low loader, but I never use handle or tube bags. With that kit I feel self-sufficient and comfortable.

I believe that with your Thorn RST, carrying 17 kg and being well organised you are well set for long and exciting trips.