Author Topic: Light weight on a RST  (Read 7390 times)

jags

Re: Light weight on a RST
« Reply #15 on: February 05, 2017, 03:56:47 pm »
Javier have u a blog videos photos of any of your tours ,I'm a nosy bugger.cheers anti.

Javier

« Reply #16 on: February 05, 2017, 05:54:22 pm »
Fit like jags
Sorry to disappoint your curiosity, I have no blog or well organised collection of pictures. The digital media killed my passion for photography. Now my printing records are in my memory, which is fading fast.  In my last 3000 km tour I took only 11 pictures, I even did not take the camera charger with me. Once a tour is finished I devote my spare time to cycling and organising the next tour. I cannot see myself writing a blog  ;)
Cheers for now

jags

« Reply #17 on: February 05, 2017, 06:37:41 pm »
Ah no worries just though I'd ask thanks anyway.

RST Scout

• Janet
« Reply #18 on: February 06, 2017, 08:08:12 pm »
Total weight for the packed Carradice Camper Longflap including the bag itself is 6.41kg/14.1lb complete except for food, which is variable. Packed items would be good for camping from late Spring to early Fall in my locale. It holds a complete stove with fuel and cookset, sleeping bag and mattress, tent with fly and footprint, a complete spare set of cycling clothes plus cycling tights and longsleeve fleece-lined jersey for cool weather, tools and full rain gear from head to toe. A setup similar to this would surely work on your forthcoming RST, Janet. It carries very nicely on even my lighter weight 11.3k-14.5kgg road-touring bikes and the 20kg Nomad doesn't even know it is attached.

All the best,

Dan.
[/quote]

Thanks, Dan. This sounds similar to what I would carry but do you get it all in the saddlebag?

Janet
Scout & Bettina's slave!

RST Scout

• Janet
« Reply #19 on: February 06, 2017, 08:13:01 pm »
Hi All,
I know that the maximum I can carry on a Thorn RST is 17Kg but I'm only very light (105lb/47.6Kg). Would I be able to carry more than the recommended weight? 17Kg is not much if you are camping.

Janet
when Marco pantani. Was in his best form condition he weighed 47kg,I can't help but think ,Janet is a super fit cyclist and a fifty mile spin at speed would be no problem to her or as per usual anti has this all wrong yet again. ;D

Sorry to disappoint Anto  :-[ ;D ;D ;D Keep guessing!
Scout & Bettina's slave!

RST Scout

• Janet
« Reply #20 on: February 06, 2017, 08:27:22 pm »
I agree with previous comments that you can tour pretty light in weight and volume. Ultra light gear helps, a good example are down sleeping bags vs synthetics, a winter synthetic sleeping bag, even compressed, will take a full rear pannier. However, ultra light gear is not the answer, what it really makes the difference is your philosophy of traveling and how good you are at feeling comfortable and self-sufficient just carrying a few things.

When solo-touring in South America along Carretera Austral I saw two North American lads on carbon frame mountain bikes carrying only bar and saddle bags and their tent tied to the handle bar. They were riding as hell between villages, relying on daily accommodation and food supplies. That is not my way of touring. I like to enjoy the scenery, nature and be self-sufficient on water and food for at least 3 days, so I can wandering around if I want to, without any urge of resupplying, cycling emptied stomach or asking for water to the odd passing by truck.

I also agree that you need pretty much the same gear for a 3-day trip than for a month tour, in many of my trips food and water are the heaviest items of my load. I always try to reduce the number of pieces of luggage and loose items on the bike, the less pieces the easier to set the bike every morning, move the bike and luggage in buses, trains, trucks, wade streams or small rivers, you name it.  If I want to be light I can easily tour with only two rear panniers and a 20 l dry bag. In the dry bag I carry a solo tent, mattress and a down sleeping bag. In the panniers: a small dry bag with clothes, a mesh bag with small items (knife, torch, sewing kit, tooth brush, water bags, ...), a mesh bag with a cooking set (spoon, gas or petrol stove, depending on the country), and still plenty spare room for food and extra water, and that is pretty much all. I tie the 20 l dry bag with 3 elastic cords along the length of a Thorn rack, so I can open the panniers without having to remove the 20 l dry bag. I do not use bar bags, as I like to keep my handle bar clear of gadgets (only a tiny basic computer) and see the front wheel, and I dislike anything attached to the tubes (bags, pumps,...), or loosely attached to the bike, or rattling inside the panniers, other than bottles in their respective tube holders. If I need extra carrying capacity for very long trips, winter touring or desert crossings, them I use front panniers on the Thorn low loader, but I never use handle or tube bags. With that kit I feel self-sufficient and comfortable.

I believe that with your Thorn RST, carrying 17 kg and being well organised you are well set for long and exciting trips.

I pretty much agree with everything you have said. Good advice. I don't do synthetics, I think they are a false economy. Give me goose down every time. And like you I don't have a bar bag. It seems obvious to me that if I load the bike up to the max, I would be unable to move it  ::)  If anyone here is familiar with British train services they would agree with the sentiment of having as few bags as possible.  Oh, for the good old guards vans. Gone but fondly remembered :(

Janet
Scout & Bettina's slave!

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #21 on: February 06, 2017, 08:45:49 pm »
Thanks, Dan. This sounds similar to what I would carry but do you get it all in the saddlebag
Hi Janet!

Actually pretty easy once I figured it is all about the packaging. Everything goes in separate stuff sacks, then those get placed into the Camper Longflap. The tent sack and rain gear sack go under the longflap. Everything else stacks inside per the photos here:

http://thorncyclesforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=11787.msg85858#msg85858

Took me the longest time to figure out the first time, but now it is a "system" I can get completely packed and on the road in less than 15 minutes including the tent. I take the bag off and put it in the tent to un/pack, so everything stays dry if it is raining.

All the best,

Dan.

jags

« Reply #22 on: February 06, 2017, 10:18:48 pm »
Hi All,
I know that the maximum I can carry on a Thorn RST is 17Kg but I'm only very light (105lb/47.6Kg). Would I be able to carry more than the recommended weight? 17Kg is not much if you are camping.

Janet
when Marco pantani. Was in his best form condition he weighed 47kg,I can't help but think ,Janet is a super fit cyclist and a fifty mile spin at speed would be no problem to her or as per usual anti has this all wrong yet again. ;D

ah you would never disappoint me Janet

RST Scout

• Janet
« Reply #23 on: February 06, 2017, 10:59:24 pm »
Hi All,

Janet

ah you would never disappoint me Janet

God! He's got me blushing again :-[ :-[ :-[
Scout & Bettina's slave!

RST Scout

• Janet
« Reply #24 on: February 06, 2017, 11:12:46 pm »
Dan,

I agree, you do need a system and it does take a while to get everything in the 'right' place. I need to put things in the same place every time otherwise I can never remember where things are. The whole discussion about saddlebags is interesting because I've been looking at them recently. My problem will be because my frame is very small there will not be much space between the saddle and the rack. I was toying with getting a Barley as its not as high as the Camping Long Flap. But I'm just looking and thinking at the moment. The one thing I am sure of is that my (30ish year) old Karrimor Iberian Panniers are wrecked (and as they are red they don't go with my bike frame - ie Red and green should never be seen).

Cheers,
Janet
Scout & Bettina's slave!

jags

« Reply #25 on: February 06, 2017, 11:36:53 pm »
Janet the carradice expedition rack is spot on to support the camper longflap  or barley rock solid .i have this set up meself but to be honest i prefair the rear rack and ortlieb panniers either system works well its what ever suits you.
my problem is not knowing what cloths to take either have way to much or not enough .
i can't cook so i just take a small gas stove  (bought from my buddy Dan) small trangia kettle  small pot for heating up the beans or tinned soup  ;D ;D.
anyway i usually get there in the end.

anto.

RST Scout

• Janet
« Reply #26 on: February 07, 2017, 02:28:52 pm »
Anto,

Yeah, I basically do the same. Smallish gas stove and (small) trangia kettle for a brew. Most important! I'm afraid I don't do anything more than tinned stuff or PotNoodles but hey, it fills a hole.
Clothes are where I come unstuck. I always take too much. I'm afraid I'm a "just in case" sort of person  :( Can't choose you see.

Janet
Scout & Bettina's slave!

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #27 on: February 08, 2017, 12:26:58 am »
The whole discussion about saddlebags is interesting because I've been looking at them recently. My problem will be because my frame is very small there will not be much space between the saddle and the rack.
Possibly a Carradice Uplift to hoist the bag attachment points a bit above the saddle and a lightweight rear rack to support the bottom would allow a larger Camper Longflap to work for you? It would take some careful measurement, but might be possible.

Perhaps something like this...it hooks into your Brooks saddle loops and wouldn't require a rear rack. Unfortunately, weight is limited to a recommended 6kg:
http://www.carradice.co.uk/products/saddle-fixing-systems/carradice-classic-saddlebag-rack

Another possibility might be a Carradice SQR. It supports up to 10kg and allows quick and easy removal and you could still have a rear rack if you wished for panniers: http://www.carradice.co.uk/products/accessories/sqr-system
Clothes are where I come unstuck. I always take too much. I'm afraid I'm a "just in case" sort of person  :( Can't choose you see.
Dunno if it will help, but here's what I took for my 2014 4-month double-crossing of all Europe, from 9May till 11Sept:

WEARABLE BASE CLOTHING:
• SPD shoes
• 1pr wool quarter-socks
• Undershorts
• Lycra cycling shorts with padded liner
• Long sleeve jersey (sun-protective jersey, SPF 50+)
• CoolMax Buff for my head/face
• Fingerless cycling gloves with padded palms
• Helmet
• Cycling glasses with changeable lenses and Rx insert and rearview mirror
• Alarm wrist watch

QUICK-GRAB CLOTHING (in HB bag for changing conditions):
• Breathable wind shell
• 3/4 cycling tights without liner (to be layered over cycling shorts)

RAIN CLOTHING:
• Rain jacket with hood
• Rain pants
• Neoprene booties
• Gore-Tex "lobster-claw" gloves
• Helmet cover

STORED CLOTHING:
• 1 spare longsleeve "sun" jersey
• 1 shortsleeve cycling jersey with removable "sun sleeves" (I sunburn easily)
• 2 spare Lycra cycling shorts with padded liner
• 1 pair full length Lycra cycling tights
• Medium-weight fleece anorak
• Wind-faced wool longsleeve jersey
• 2 more pairs of quarter-socks
• 2 more undershorts

CASUAL CLOTHING:
• 1 airweave t-shirt
• 1pr. nylon cargo pants with zip-off legs to make casual shorts
• Billed ball cap with detachable cape to shield my neck from sun

With the above, I worked 10 days in Turkey, rode the rest of the time and spent time with friends and eating in restaurants and exploring towns on foot. For restaurant dining (yes, even in 4- and 5-star hotels in Eastern Europe, where they were very inexpensive...I once borrowed a tie for my cycling jersey when it was required!  :D ), I wore my black SPD shoes, my charcoal cargo pants, my t-shirt under my nice wool longsleeve jersey and...got by fine. When someone would occasionally mention my attire, it was always in a pleasant way and opened the door to some pleasant conversations and even friendships that have endured since.

Temperatures ranged from lows of 38°F/3.3°C in the mornings a the start and end to as high as 114°+F/45.5°C ambient (hotter on the road). I also had periods where there was a lot of rain.

I was never really cold. In 3.3°C temps, I added the 3/4 tights and the wind jacket and was fine so long as I was working, and added the midweight fleece or wool jersey if I knew I was going to stop and cool down for any length of time. The secret was to add layers or remove them as needed.

I generally take enough clothes so I will be warm at the coldest expected temperature if I don *everything* (and I mean every.thing). This works pretty well even in the desert, where I can expect a daytime high/nighttime low temperature range of about 80°-95°F (or from 114°-19°F/45.5°--7.2°C). It is at 7.2°C I put on *everything* and generally also wear it inside my down bag and silk liner in the tent. A person really feels the temperature difference when the sun goes down and the winds pick up in America's Great Basin.

I used to wear cleated (road) cycling shoes and took some casual clogs for walking (Merrell Breeze II, support of a trainer, easy to kick off and also worked as shower shoes:http://www.englinsfinefootwear.com/merrell-mens-primo-breeze-ii-available-in-multiple-colors/ ), but now I just take my SPD cycling shoes and wear them for most everything. For showers, I just wade in and then dry my feet after and apply antifungal cream prophylactically. Never had a problem. For nighttime bathroom trips when it is raining, I wear the SPDs without socks so if it is wet, my socks stay dry in the tent and the shoes dry out by morning.

This is generally as much clothing as I take at any time for longer tours. For shorter trips, it is much less...usually just a spare jersey and riding shorts and one spare pair each of undershorts and socks with arm warmers and maybe a light fleece or wool jersey and my 3/4 tights (one of my most versatile cycling garments...warmer than shorts alone and keep my knees warm, but with enough leg uncovered so I don't overheat).

One last suggestion: Grey socks. They don't show road dirt like white ones do.  ;)  There's a few more tips and tricks I've found for extended desert use, but I will PM them to you.

'Hope it helped to see someone else's list.

Best,

Dan.

RST Scout

• Janet
« Reply #28 on: February 08, 2017, 06:56:54 pm »
Thanks Dan, it does help.

Janet
Scout & Bettina's slave!