Author Topic: RIDES 2017 — add yours here  (Read 85508 times)

jags

Re: RIDES 2017 — add yours here
« Reply #165 on: August 08, 2017, 10:55:38 pm »
Ah rual ill never sleep tonight after looking at that.

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #166 on: August 09, 2017, 12:12:32 am »
Thanks for the kind words, folks, but it is not all about the distance. I'l try to explain... :)

How long did it take?
Id, for this ride I started at 05:00 and returned at 23:00 so was gone about 17 hours, mostly because of the slow going in the forest/mountains due to the grades and the road surfaces; the paved portions went pretty quickly. The average overall works out to 9.7mph/15.6km. Riding average is a little higher but but not much 'cos I didn't stop often or long.
From your past posts I assume you do little riding in the winter due to weather conditions, how do you keep up your fitness through the winter?
A few years ago, I added daily 5mi/8km walks to stay in shape, especially in winter. I have developed osteopenia (thinning bones) secondary to celiac sprue disease (gluten intolerance) and partly, I am told, because cycling is not considered a weight-bearing exercise. I enjoy hiking and when it snows, I take out the cross-country skis.

I do ride in winter, but much less as you have observed. At 57, I no longer ride in ice because I don't have much margin to tolerate more closed-head injuries and concussions. Deep snow packs up in my mudguards and locks the wheels and winter rain is always colder -- though cold temperatures alone are not a stopper. I start my cycle "training" in March by increasing my mileage, and am at my peak for the year starting in early-mid August, so that's when the big-distance day rides take place. I take just under 24 hours to ride 400km (10.3mph/~16.4km average), and by summer's end that means a lot of riding in the dark, when I don't see very much of the countryside beyond my headlight beam.
=====
The "If too long, don't read" version:

I started riding with real purpose at age 17 following a car crash that badly injured my knees. I am grateful for this because it forced me to develop knee-healthy cycling habits, good form, and an appreciation for low gearing.

At University, I began riding more as my knees healed and I joined an early group of "distance" athletes who charted their mileage publicly (think: pre-Internet Strava). Reinforced by this and a highly self-competitive nature, my cycling became obsessive and and I rode 8,000 to 12,000 miles (~13,000-19,000km) annually sick or well and I also worked as a professional (paid) tour leader. I fell into a "mileage trap" and began to display classic signs of overtraining and my performance fell off as well.

I made a decision to ride for pleasure and removed my cyclecomputer to help make it so. In a zenlike way I gained by letting go and performed better as I rediscovered the joy of cycling as play.

I was later knocked flat for a time by four tick-borne diseases and a fatal prognosis and survived a random murder attempt while cycling. In my darkest days, a "Tour de Neighborhood" came to mean as much as any longer ride. Fortunately, I recovered but I've downplayed my mileage since -- not out of modesty but because I don't want to fall back into a state where distance matters more than enjoyment.

I still enjoy riding and riding long distances as they happen, mostly because I want to see a new area. The exception is early in the season when I ride "utility miles" on a circuit to get in shape quickly after winter. On loaded tours my daily mileage hovers a little north of 70mi/112km each day because I want to see and experience more of the areas where I am traveling and photograpy and tourism afoot come into play, slowing the riding pace.

Over the last 40 years, I've learned and integrated all the little tricks that allow me to rest various muscle groups on the bike pedaling almost continuously and I don't really think about it. Bike fit is critical so nothing in particular hurts afterwards (except for my hands, which hurt from a kind of chronic tendonitis).

All the best,

Dan.

Andre Jute

« Reply #167 on: August 09, 2017, 04:05:28 am »
Anto and I should be so lucky as to see the weather for that length of ride at the height of our "summer". If we ever did, we'd never stop bragging about it.

Super photos, Dan, especially the semi-precious stone. It's the sort of thing you see only on a bike, not from a car.

martinf

« Reply #168 on: August 09, 2017, 06:05:29 am »
I've got a Brompton & find it quite useful. I have the six speed version with the low gearing option. That's low enough to get up some good hills. I don't know the actual gear-inches, maybe upper 20s just guessing by feel. For sure you can't carry a huge load and the steering is mighty twitchy.

I'm also a Brompton fan, with two of them, plus another for my wife.

One has a 5-speed hub gear. I use this bike mainly for train-assisted commuting to the office when I am not on survey missions. 

The other has wider-range gearing, 5-speed hub gear with modified 2-speed rear derailleur giving a gear range of 23" to 74". I use this one for train-assisted touring and load carrying when combined with train/bus/ship/motor vehicles. The Dutch-made front bag clips onto the frame and holds 30-40 litres of luggage, and when I need to carry more I strap a 45 litre rucksack (or very occasionally a 65 litre rucksack) to the rear rack and saddle. This bike has been very useful for combining a bit of bike touring with family visits when I wouldn't have had time to do the whole trip by conventional bike, getting a bit of cycling while on work trips, and some train/boat assisted holidays with my wife.

Not so comfortable as a large wheel bike, and not so stable as a Thorn Raven Tour when carrying lots of luggage, but not much slower on good road surfaces.

Bromptons are very useful in a household that doesn't have permanent access to a motor vehicle.

JimK

• Interdependent Science
« Reply #169 on: August 10, 2017, 12:00:29 am »
Made it up to Brigham City today:

https://www.strava.com/activities/1125787161/overview

Not the greatest bike ride - US-89 is two lanes in each direction and somewhat busy, with a variable shoulder. Mostly there is room for cars to get by without much trouble for anyone but if a cluster of cars goes by in a section where the shoulder has disappeared... it's mostly a 55 mph speed limit and there are some big trucks - a whole series of gravel pits along the mountains! - it can get a little scary in spots. The basic problem is that there are really only two roads going north, Interstate 15 and US Highway 89. What makes Brigham City a milestone is that route options start to open up at that point. So I anticipate a bunch of rides in the future that are loops from Brigham City, with that standard prefix and suffix, 18 miles each way, tacked on.

http://labs.strava.com/heatmap/#11/-112.12578/41.42265/blue/bike

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #170 on: August 10, 2017, 05:13:15 am »
What a lovely photo, Jim! The bike looks grand also.

A few years ago, I planned a trip across Oregon, down to Utah via Idaho and across I-80, the roadway that spans the Great Salt Lake, returning through Nevada and SE Oregon.

Fortunately, I phoned the Utah State Highway Patrol in advance and found I-80 and a number of other highways -- with some exceptions -- are restricted for cyclists. This pretty well put paid to my plans, so I decided on another tour.

In researching my tour, I came across several links that might be helpful for you on future rides in Utah:
A Bike Suitability Map; restricted roads are shown with a red star:
https://bikeutah.org/wp-content/uploads/2015/05/BikeSuitabilityMap-2.pdf
Legalities of Cycling on Utah State Highways:
https://christensenhymas.com/articles/legalities-cycling-state-highways/
Utah Roads That Are Illegal to Ride Bikes On – prohibited bike routes:
http://www.utahbicyclelawyers.com/riding-restrictions-and-safety

All the best,

Dan.

JimK

• Interdependent Science
« Reply #171 on: August 10, 2017, 07:34:18 am »
I'm pretty sure that you can ride on a lot of I-80. I actually rode through Weber canyon on I-84. Not much fun but it is a key segment for many routes out of town.

Thanks for the links - really good to have the official word!

jags

« Reply #172 on: August 10, 2017, 05:26:57 pm »
great photo Jim when did u get the blue bike  ;)

anto.

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #173 on: August 11, 2017, 10:43:31 pm »
Ride photos from Anto's 11 August outing on his lovely black-and-blue Thorn Audax, posted on his behalf.

Best,

Dan.

jags

« Reply #174 on: August 11, 2017, 10:54:30 pm »
Thanks Dan  ;).
it was a lovely spin 40 miles plenty hills and one new road ive never been on  lovely find.
knackered when i got home maybe one hill to many but i was going well and enjoying the ride.

anto.
Thats Newgrange in the second photo,i know all the back roads in that area class cycling but rough enough tarmac.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2017, 10:56:57 pm by jags »

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #175 on: August 11, 2017, 11:29:34 pm »
Really pretty photos, Anto...exactly what I picture in my mind when I think of Ireland.

The bike is looking simply grand. So glad you got out on it and so sorry to hear it was hard on your poor back! Hope tomorrow is a better day for you.

All the best,

Dan.

Andre Jute

« Reply #176 on: August 14, 2017, 01:59:48 am »
A cool, overcast day, just right for a ride in the green and beloved isle. Check out these giant puffballs between the road and the river. They're fully twelve inches across. Edible.

One of the party came back for these puffballs in his car.

This is our destination, Kilmacsimon Quay, a village of a handful of houses, a pub and a boatyard on the estuary of the River Bandon.

The green tower is the proverbial widow's house, from which she would look out fearfully for the return of her sea-captain.

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #177 on: August 14, 2017, 02:07:53 am »
What terrific photos, Andre! The very picture of Ireland for me...

All the best,

Dan.

geocycle

« Reply #178 on: August 14, 2017, 09:26:38 am »
Thanks for sharing these Andre, quintessentially Irish!

geocycle

« Reply #179 on: August 14, 2017, 09:37:51 am »
This years's tour was a local ride up to Hadrian's Wall and back down through the Yorkshire Dales.  Here are shots over looking the Eden valley and Swaledale.