Author Topic: RIDES 2017 — add yours here  (Read 85592 times)

jags

Re: RIDES 2017 — add yours here
« Reply #135 on: August 01, 2017, 10:13:50 am »
Im watching the tour tough cycling country.

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #136 on: August 01, 2017, 04:30:46 pm »
While the rest of us deal with such mundane topics as weather, hills, and road conditions on our rides, Anto has to deal with DANGEROUS COWS CROSSING!  :o

(The sign says so!)

;D

Best,

Dan. (...who hopes Anto minds those killer cows while riding his Thorn Audax  ;) )

jags

« Reply #137 on: August 01, 2017, 04:47:24 pm »
Cheers Dan,you lot have it handy what with cuddly bears look what I have to look out for mind u must have been his day off never seen a bit of him ;D ;D...

My bike is class never misses a beat super smooth,saying that my rear fender needs adjustments rubbing a wee bit im in the shed now trying to sort it out.
I got 40 miles in today boyne valley route class.weather windy dull but very warm.thats the latest news lads have a nice day.
Anto.

JimK

• Interdependent Science
« Reply #138 on: August 01, 2017, 10:13:32 pm »
I took a video of the Tour of Utah going by: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DyVBigMBYpc

jags

« Reply #139 on: August 01, 2017, 11:06:55 pm »
excellent jim well done,the pro's make it look so easy. 8) 8)
got to get to my bed i'm knackered,
thanks for sharing jim,

anto.

Andre Jute

« Reply #140 on: August 02, 2017, 01:25:43 pm »
Nice steady hand you have, Jim.

John Saxby

« Reply #141 on: August 02, 2017, 07:25:01 pm »
Great stuff, Jim. Serious bizness indeed, a climb like that in the heat & all. I was reviewing the map of SLC & surrounds--all too easy to forget the essentials, without regular visits to renew acquaintances. Great views in the clear air, so long as the dreaded inversions keep their distance. The rides down the canyons must be worth the prolonged ascent, for sure. Then again, a quick dip in the streams would feel pretty good in August, too!

Safe riding, look forward to more photos,  John

JimK

• Interdependent Science
« Reply #142 on: August 02, 2017, 07:41:38 pm »
going down, ha! My max speed was 42 mph and mostly I was going around 35 mph. Fun enough!

For my climb Monday the temperature was in the upper 90sF. I'm putting Nuun tablets in my water. I went through one water bottle on that climb - had a second back-up but didn't dip into it.

The kids on mountain bikes who were watching the race along side me yesterday - a tough bunch! They're on a local race team. The kid I talked to, maybe 14 years old, does intervals up that hill. He's going to the national championship races in Colorado in a few weeks. We were chatting about electrolytes. He like to chew these gel things and just drink straight water. He'll moisten the gel cube and stick it to his bike frame and then just peel it off during the race. Wow! Kids these days!

The guy standing between us was another monster. Talking about 30 mile runs in the mountains etc. The young kid pointed out the wheels on the older guy's Niner mountain bike. Made locally: http://enve.com/. The young kid has the same brand rims on his own bike - but he got them free from a buddy that works at the factory.

Lots of crazy athletes around here! It's a good place for the outdoors!

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #143 on: August 03, 2017, 02:57:34 am »
Thanks so much for sharing your photos, Jim.

InCycle has posted photos of the Tour of Utah stages to date on their YouTube channel here:
https://www.youtube.com/inCycleTV

Boy, it is hot here also -- 102°F/38.8°C...would have been hotter except the smoke from forest fires peeled about 4 degrees F off the expected high by filtering the sunlight. I went out for a quick 75mi/120km road ride on the Nomad and called it good after I ran through nearly 6 liters of water. Tomorrow should see similar temps, breaking a little by the weekend.

Fire restrictions prevent me mowing the grass in the yard, so...bike ride!  ;D

All the best,

Dan.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2017, 03:03:15 am by Danneaux »

John Saxby

« Reply #144 on: August 06, 2017, 02:58:03 am »
Part 1 of my account of a day ride:

Last Tuesday, we had a rare (for this summer) (but standard issue in "normal" times) hot and clear summer day. I took advantage of the window in the rainy days to make a daylong ride north and west of Ottawa. I rode north across the Ottawa River towards my usual 3-4-hour out-and-back into the Gatineau Hills, but instead of going into the hills, I angled NW onto the gently rolling agricultural plain between the big river and the Gatineau escarpment. I rode close to the river to the small town of Quyon, a centre for agricultural, lumbering and mining activities over the years. From Quyon, I took the ferry across the Ottawa to the hamlet of Fitzroy Harbour, and from there to the agricultural village of Carp (now amalgamated into the Ottawa metropolitan area), and back to our house in the west-central part of Ottawa.

Here's a fairly accurate map of the route: http://tinyurl.com/y75y5t2e  The total distance was about 120 kms, including about 20-25 kms of gravel on the Québec side. I covered the distance in about 6 hours of riding, and spent about 8 hours on the road, with breaks for snack, the ferry, and photos.

I began the day with a very quiet ride into the lower reaches of the Gatineau Hills, and then about 2 1/2 hours through the agricultural land between the Ottawa River and the Gatineau escarpment to the east. (Photos 1, 2 & 3 below.)  In the mid-19th century and later, much of Western Québec along the Ottawa Valley (and on the Ontario side as well) was settled by Irish families, so many seeking a haven from the Great Hunger. 

In many of the fields, the farmers were still taking off their crop of hay.  In some cases, the bales were still in the fields, awaiting their sheath of white plastic; elsewhere, the hay had been cut and tedded into rows, and was still drying before being baled. In other fields, the hay was not yet cut. The crop seemed to be heavy, but the harvest is about a month late -- typically, the hay is off the field and the bales stored before the end of June.  This summer's record rainfall meant that farmers could not get their machinery into the fields until late July.

We had had no rain for a few days before my ride, so the gravel roads in Québec were being graded, with fresh gravel added. The maintenance made corrugations less of a problem, along with the risk (for a cyclist) of vehicles throwing up more dust than usual. As I rode away from the hills and towards the river, I found an unwelcome indicator of less-than-welcoming attitudes:  From my childhood days on the farm, I've always understood the etiquette on gravel to be that, as a motorist, you slow right down when you're passing people walking or cycling, so as not to cover them with dust. This is not so well understood or followed any more, it seems. The posh cars, SUVs, and hopped-up Subarus driven by young males shot by me, trailing the inevitable cloud of choking dust. ("Townies," I muttered to myself through my hand.) A couple of drivers in battered old pickups did The Courteous Thing, for which I thanked them with a wave. 

I stopped at a couple of dépanneurs to inhale some ice cream, chocolate milk, and my own snacks, and to pass the time of day with the owners and customers. (A cyclist some distance from town, especially un gar d'un certain âge, invites questions and comments.) The dépanneur is an exemplary Québec institution: if you are en panne (i.e. with a breakdown, or more generally, stuck with a problem), you need a dépanneur, something or someone to fix your problem. These are in effect updated rural general stores, typically by the highway. As motor vehicles have become more reliable, dépanneurs have become more like (sub)urban convenience stores. But, they still offer a range of comfort foods, coffee, ice cream, wine and beer, some groceries, some hardware, and occasionally poutine (if you're so inclined.)

In Quyon, I stopped for lunch at a dépanneur opposite the fairgrounds near the ferry dock. Gavan's Hotel is a famous old landmark in the village. Gail Zoé Gavan, daughter of the owner, is a locally-famous C & W-cum-Irish-cum-canadienne singer who does a haunting version of "Quand le soleil dit bonjour aux montagnes".  Sadly, I didn't see her.

Part 2 of the text follows in a separate post below.  The photos are split into two groups: #'s 1-3 for this section, 4 & 5 for Part 2.

John Saxby

« Reply #145 on: August 06, 2017, 03:01:39 am »
Part 2 - the ferry & the ride back to Ottawa

The 10-minute ferry ride offers some fine views of the Ottawa River, which here is a sorta-manageable distance across. (See photos 4 & 5 below. #5 looks back about 35 kms to the hills shown in  photo #1.) Fitzroy Harbour is a small hamlet on the southern shore of the Ottawa River. It's a small agricultural centre, situated at the confluence of the Mississippi where it flows into the Ottawa from the southwest. It's the site of a nice provincial park, and is named after (I assume) the skipper of the ship that Darwin made famous, the "Beagle".  (When I ask people about that, they look at me blankly. Maybe it was just some bloke whose family name happened to be Fitzroy. Stranger things have happened, after all: my grandfather's name was Robert Burns.)  The little town does have a wee store venerated among cyclists in the neighbourhood, "Penny's Fudge Factory". Marcia had been a bit worried about my doing a 6-8-hr ride in 30°-plus weather, so I bought some mint-chocolate fudge for my sweetie, and was duly forgiven for courting risk.

I reached Carp in time for a mid-afternoon break at Alice's Village Café, a highly-recommended spot with a broad veranda thoughtfully sited to ensure shade for hot sweaty cyclists -- it faces east.  I've never found Carp to be a particularly attractive name, but the village sits upon a slight ridge overlooking green fields to the west, and it has a Fall Fair that's four years older than Canada. It hosts an annual garlic festival too, so no carping about the name, eh?

The ride into town includes a nicely shaded twisty 20 minutes along the Old Carp Road, too narrow and slow for SUVs, hence favoured by cyclists riding to & from Penny's Fudge Factory. After a ghastly stretch along a suburban arterial road (mitigated practically if not aesthetically by wide shoulders), I took refuge in the bike path running east through the trees along the south shore of the Ottawa River.

Osi the Raven handled everything with quiet aplomb, and drew admiring comments from the owner of one dépanneur. "Un vélo pour les montagnes, m'sieu," she said, and I complimented her on her good taste. And although the accumulated fine dust of and hour-plus on the gravel took a while to tidy up, the Chainglider shielded the chain from the worst of the dust.

jags

« Reply #146 on: August 06, 2017, 10:41:36 am »
great to be alive John  8) 8)

anto.

John Saxby

« Reply #147 on: August 06, 2017, 02:43:36 pm »
To be sure, Anto - thanks! :)

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #148 on: August 06, 2017, 03:53:41 pm »
Wonderful ride report, John!

All the best,

Dan.

Andre Jute

« Reply #149 on: August 06, 2017, 07:41:07 pm »
"Wonderful" is just so apt. Now I know the French root of the Irish moonshine, locally "poteen", pronounced pocheen.