Author Topic: RIDES 2017 — add yours here  (Read 85515 times)

John Saxby

Re: RIDES 2017 — add yours here
« Reply #150 on: August 06, 2017, 08:35:05 pm »
Thanks for your kind words, Andre. But a word about poutine: it's the national dish of the Ottawa Valley, and a debate rages among aficionados about which side of the Valley holds the Grail, so to speak. There is consensus that authentic poutine may be purchased only from a chip wagon. Accept no substitutes, such as poutine bought in a restaurant or served on a plate. (See the reference below to NYC, of all places.)

What is it, then? French fries cooked in a chip wagon, packed end-on in a light cardboard box about 3" square, with cheese curds (white preferred for authenticity) stuffed in among the fries, with a healthy (using that word figuratively) helping of pork gravy then ladled over the lot. (Why a light cardboard box? It's important to let onlookers know that you have The Real Thing from the grease stains that immediately appear on the outside of the box.)

I can usually manage a serving every 18 months or so, or whenever my arteries start to slump and wilt, and need a bit of stiffening. It is tasty, no doubt about that -- but whenever I eat it, I worry about what it's doing to my insides.

One winter years ago, friends were visiting from Manhattan, and we went skating on the canal. Afterwards, I said I thought I'd have my occasional poutine, and described it to them. They thought I was just making it up, and were shocked and appalled when they saw it & smelled it.  Now, however, an enterprising Montrealer has opened up a poutine shop in Brooklyn, and it's become chic, or at least popular.

On balance, I reckon that poteen is probably safer for you. Poutine, OTOH, lends itself to A-grade bad puns about the Russian president.

If I were to eat it during a break on a ride, I'd be reliving the experience for the rest of the day, and I doubt that I'd be climbing any hills.

Andre Jute

« Reply #151 on: August 06, 2017, 10:52:05 pm »
Sounds like the real thing.

Over here French fries are "chips" and authentically served on newspaper (probably illegal under the EU, which tells you how long it is since I had any).

Your Manhattan pals remind me.... Back in the day, when I was a political exile, after I got shot in South America (not for politics, for my team winning too often at polo, a bad loser put a price on my head), I lived in Australia because that's where the first plane out went. Friends from London came to stay and I took them out for a local delicacy, a bowl of pea soup with an Australian-type meat pie floating in it. One of my guest reminded me that as students we shared a corpse called Horace, and that he had to do my dissections and slides and suchlike for me because I'd pass out from the smell any time I entered the abattoire. When I then informed them that locally the dish was known as a "floater" even those who had tasted a (small) mouthful pushed their plates away. Just as well I had a reservation for a decent restaurant...

jags

« Reply #152 on: August 07, 2017, 07:42:29 pm »
Sounds like the real thing.

Over here French fries are "chips" and authentically served on newspaper (probably illegal under the EU, which tells you how long it is since I had any).

Your Manhattan pals remind me.... Back in the day, when I was a political exile, after I got shot in South America (not for politics, for my team winning too often at polo, a bad loser put a price on my head), I lived in Australia because that's where the first plane out went. Friends from London came to stay and I took them out for a local delicacy, a bowl of pea soup with an Australian-type meat pie floating in it. One of my guest reminded me that as students we shared a corpse called Horace, and that he had to do my dissections and slides and suchlike for me because I'd pass out from the smell any time I entered the abattoire. When I then informed them that locally the dish was known as a "floater" even those who had tasted a (small) mouthful pushed their plates away. Just as well I had a reservation for a decent restaurant...
;D ;D ;D your an awful man.

in4

« Reply #153 on: August 07, 2017, 11:22:52 pm »
Said Floater, or something very similar was being served in the Sydney Opera House bar last night. I was passing, as one does... :)

jags

« Reply #154 on: August 08, 2017, 12:11:41 am »
the name alone would put you off. ;D ;D

anto.

Andre Jute

« Reply #155 on: August 08, 2017, 06:52:44 am »
Said Floater, or something very similar was being served in the Sydney Opera House bar last night. I was passing, as one does... :)

And no doubt at a premium price as "a quaint local customary dish".

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #156 on: August 08, 2017, 09:15:59 am »
Hi All!

I took my Nomad deep into the Calapooya Mountains ( https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Calapooya_Mountains ) southeast of Eugene here in Oregon yesterday.

A lovely ride, the majority was on pavement because I rode from my front door as usual. However, once in the forest, we (the bike and I) rode a formerly private timber company haul road, logging roads, and about 11 miles of MTB singletrack. All in all, a lovely day out but a long one at 176 miles (283km), a good day's ride given the road -- and off-road -- conditions. I carried only my underseat tools/tube bag and dined from my handlebar bag as I rode along. I started with 6.5l of water and didn't need to refill.

Favorite parts included a rails-to-trails path alongside Dorena Reservoir and designated MTB routes south of Oakridge, Oregon.
See:
http://www.americantrails.org/nationalrecreationtrails/blm/rowriver-or.html
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dorena,_Oregon
https://www.mtbproject.com/directory/8011556/greater-oakridge

There was a lot of smoke in the air and white skies from forest fires in the area, but temperatures were more moderate than last week, topping out at 91°F/32.7°C. Log-truck traffic was heavy at times but gave no trouble. I saw no mountain lions or bears this trip, but did see lots of bear spoor/droppings. I was delighted to find the blackberries were ripening nicely and probably sampled too many along the way. Oh! I also found a river agate -- one of the largest in my collection to date.

I saw some local cyclists on the Row River Trail, but no traveling cyclists except one couple touring with Ortlieb bags. I passed them as they looked at their maps, but when I returned after a mile or so on second thought to see if they might need directions, they were nowhere to be found. I think they might have detoured to Wildwood Falls, a popular swimming hole with a tragic history. The rushing waterfalls carry oxygen into an underwater cave popular with swimmers. However, if too many people visit in a short timeframe, the oxygen can become depleted with calamitous results, so a number of drownings have occurred there despite warnings.

I usually top out at about 200km day rides with the Nomad, not because it is much slower on pavement (it isn't), but because it tempts me to take slower side roads with much rougher surfaces than I would usually take with my randonneur bikes' 700C x 32-37mm tires. I suppose if I could discipline myself to stay on pavement with the Nomad, I might well go longer day-ride distances as I do on them. Despite the weight difference (20kg for the Nomad dry vs 14.5-15kg for the rando bikes) it works really well and the fatter, lower pressure tires and suspension seatpost are definitely faster on poor roads because they are more comfortable and result in less rider fatigue. I once again came to appreciate the generous standover allowed by the sloping top tube when it came time to dismount on singletrack, heavily potholed logging roads, and steep grades. No problem with the 2.0in Schwalbe Duremes on designated MTB trails and they worked nicely on pavement also. I remain well pleased.

Several of the day's photos attached below.

Best,

Dan.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2017, 10:37:13 am by Danneaux »

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #157 on: August 08, 2017, 09:17:02 am »
More photos from yesterday's ride...

Best,

Dan.

jags

« Reply #158 on: August 08, 2017, 12:03:43 pm »
well done Dan epic cycling for sure id be dead if i covered those kinda miles i wouldn't even do it in a car .50 miles is about tops for me.great photos well done.

i had a friend call around last night talk about camping, he doing a tour over to the west of ireland  he rides a Thorn raven it was me who put him onto thorn bikes he bough one for the wife as well but she never used it (needs Killing) anyhoo im giving him  a loan of my tent no point in him spending hundreds on a tent if it turns out he hates   camping.
thats the buzz well done on your trip 174 miles you crazy man.

anto

John Saxby

« Reply #159 on: August 08, 2017, 01:21:48 pm »
Superb, Dan -- that would be a couple of days' ride for me!
« Last Edit: August 08, 2017, 05:48:43 pm by John Saxby »

bikerta

« Reply #160 on: August 08, 2017, 07:05:16 pm »
he rides a Thorn raven it was me who put him onto thorn bikes he bough one for the wife as well but she never used it (needs Killing)
anto

Ooh fancy leaving a Thorn Raven sitting in the garage unused with that lovely Rohloff gearing as well. That is what I would have liked to have bought originally as I hate faffing around with the deraillers, but far too much money for me at the time. Not complaining about my Sherpa though, still love it. Often think about getting a slightly faster bike, then wonder if I would ever ride it.

Recently, I have been giving a Brompton a lot of consideration. Each time I try to take my bike on the train, I end up having to stand with it in the passage way, getting in everybody's way and being very uncomfortable. Last year I did Lon Las Cymru and had to stand holding the bike from Warminster in Wilts to Newport, South Wales. O.k. I can put up with that as it's only about an hour and a half, but then I had to stand with the bike from Newport pretty much all the way to Bangor in North Wales. Needless to say I was pretty tired by the time I reached my destination. The only joy I have had on a train was travelling all the way from Gillingham, Dorset up to Thurso in Scotland for my JOGLE. Got a bike space and a seat where I could keep an eye on the bike up to London, then bike stored in guard's van on Caledonian Sleeper up to Inverness, then strapped onto a rack on the Inverness to Thurso section. Fantastic service.

A Brompton would make rail travel so much nicer and no having to worry about booking the bike either. Bit harder getting up the hills though.

Am hoping to do a tour around Wales next week, then meeting up with a friend in Aberystwth to spend another few days in Snowdonia with some cycling and some walking. Keep fingers crossed the weather picks up as it's been pretty grim recently. Typical, work at school all through the hottest part of the summer, now I have finally finished and it's not great.

What an amazing ride Dan, you make it all sound so easy. I shall probably be doing that sort of mileage on my weeks tour. I'm with Jags, 50 miles is about my limit at the moment, though I would like to try a hundred mile trip when I am a bit fitter. 
« Last Edit: August 08, 2017, 07:09:00 pm by bikerta »

High Moors Drifter

« Reply #161 on: August 08, 2017, 07:45:26 pm »
Wow that's some ride Dan. Like the others my max would generally be 50 miles apart from a 100 miler when I was 14 many years ago. How long did it take? From your past posts I assume you do little riding in the winter due to weather conditions, how do you keep up your fitness through the winter?

Id.

jags

« Reply #162 on: August 08, 2017, 08:38:17 pm »
Yes Jackie it's  just gathering dust pity, but nothing stranger than women thats the truth ;)
btw i think i'd rather stand than ride one of those  brompton yokes  imaging if it had a rohloff my god what is cycling coming too.

anto.

JimK

• Interdependent Science
« Reply #163 on: August 08, 2017, 09:49:41 pm »
I've got a Brompton & find it quite useful. I have the six speed version with the low gearing option. That's low enough to get up some good hills. I don't know the actual gear-inches, maybe upper 20s just guessing by feel. For sure you can't carry a huge load and the steering is mighty twitchy. I love how I can easily ride no-hands on my Nomad, e.g. to stretch my arms on a long ride. Impossible to ride a Brompton no-hands.

I had a bottle dynamo with halogen lights on my Brompton and that whole set-up self-destructed somehow. I got a new front wheel with a hub dynamo and LED lights to go along with it. Haven't been out on that new set-up yet. I'd much rather ride the Nomad for almost any use, but that Brompton folds up in a flash. Another fun thing is when I take my car to be serviced, I pop the Brompton into the trunk. Provides a few hours of relative freedom!

rualexander

« Reply #164 on: August 08, 2017, 09:54:22 pm »
Yes Jackie it's  just gathering dust pity, but nothing stranger than women thats the truth ;)
btw i think i'd rather stand than ride one of those  brompton yokes  imaging if it had a rohloff my god what is cycling coming too.

anto.

http://www.kinetics-online.co.uk/folding-bikes/brompton/brompton-rohloff-kit/