Author Topic: New Sport Tour  (Read 28306 times)

goosander

Re: New Sport Tour
« Reply #75 on: December 11, 2006, 01:15:14 pm »
In choosing my gearing I did attempt to make 11th my most used gear, but I'm not really sure if it has worked out that way as I seem to change gear more often than I used to.  

The upper seven gears are all pretty quiet so I can't usually tell what gear I am in unless I look at the numbers on the shifter.

Fred A-M

« Reply #76 on: December 11, 2006, 01:36:45 pm »
Is that not simply because the Rohloff is so reliable?  I certainly put my increased usage of gears down to that.  I think I'm on the 11th or thereabouts, possibly equally 12th depending on wind conditions.

Swislon

« Reply #77 on: December 11, 2006, 01:54:22 pm »
I don't really look at the gears but I know when I'm in 7th !
Sometimes when using derailleurs and I know I should be shifting on the front, I can't be arsed, especially if I can see ahead that I'll be doing it back in reverse in a few moments. You don't have to think like that with the Rohloff.
I think thats why you may be going faster over the same journey, because you do change gear and keep the momentum up. I noticed this  today (sun was out so thought I'd do a mid day "commute", one advantage of working from home)as I sped along.[:D]

stutho

• Administrator
« Reply #78 on: December 11, 2006, 09:12:47 pm »
quote:
The 13 miles back is uphill, I could do with a 38 X 16
I know what that feels like Paul.  Every day I use every one of the 14 gears on my Rohloff.  For me (living at the top of a hill) 42 * 16 is just about perfect, but when the wind and rain is in my face cycling up the final hill I would really like that extra low gear.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2006, 09:13:22 pm by stutho »

john28july

« Reply #79 on: December 12, 2006, 06:38:18 am »
quote:
Originally posted by john28july

quote:
Originally posted by stutho

quote:
The 13 miles back is uphill, I could do with a 38 X 16
I know what that feels like Paul.  Every day I use every one of the 14 gears on my Rohloff.  For me (living at the top of a hill) 42 * 16 is just about perfect, but when the wind and rain is in my face cycling up the final hill I would really like that extra low gear.

Looks to me that you are indeed in need of 38 x 16 gearing if you could do with that extra low gear. I must also say that if you NEED the bottom gear on your setup now, you are at the top of a VERY steep hill/ not so fit/ or as I think in need of alternate gearing. The Rohloff 1st gear is so low I cannot think I should ever really NEED it!
John.
www.pbase.com/john28july
HAPPY CHRISTMAS.

john28july

« Reply #80 on: December 12, 2006, 07:16:34 am »
quote:
Originally posted by geocycle

Having got your new bikes make sure you look after them.  I had a very close shave last night when I went on my RT to watch the Al Gore film on climate change (great BTW).  On returning to the bike stand I found that someone had stolen the back wheel from the guy's bike next to mine - a bling MTB.  Fortunately I'd taken both my d-locks and the combination of these and the stealth styling discussed above seemed to have saved the day.  Given the nature of the film and what I considered to be a safe location it was quite a shock.  Look after those rohloffs!

Hello,
I never ever leave my bikes anywhere outdoors! Yes I do take my bikes into Public Toilets! I have numerous locks plus an alarm system wired to my home from my workshop/shed storage. Its sad that life is made so difficult. Its a shame that most people need to leave their bikes locked but unattended. I am lucky I generally have no need to.
John.

Swislon

« Reply #81 on: December 12, 2006, 07:23:30 am »
quote:
Yes I do take my bikes into Public Toilets!

John, You have a fetish !
You need to seek help[:D]

Fred A-M

« Reply #82 on: December 12, 2006, 08:26:10 am »
An understatement and a half methinks.  John, do you own an RST amongst your collection? I'm slightly confused given the frequency of your contributions to this thread, which would otherwise appear to be from RST owners wanting to share their experiences of the RST.  The appearance of massive picture of a non-RST smack bang in the middle of the thread is more bewildering still!

wal

« Reply #83 on: December 12, 2006, 09:40:41 am »
My new RST has arrived and I am very pleased with it. It is however locked away until Christmas, so I only managed to glance at it before leaving this morning. Can someone explain the situation with the front QR skewer with the Son Dynohub. It appears not to be QR or maybe I was mistaken. I paid for an upgrade to Titanium rear swewer but not (apparently) at the front. I am a little confused, can anyone explain what the situation is with the Son hub and QR skewers, i.e. what is standard and is there any benefit in upgrading?

john28july

« Reply #84 on: December 12, 2006, 09:51:17 am »
quote:
Originally posted by Fred A-M

An understatement and a half methinks.  John, do you own an RST amongst your collection? I'm slightly confused given the frequency of your contributions to this thread, which would otherwise appear to be from RST owners wanting to share their experiences of the RST.  The appearance of massive picture of a non-RST smack bang in the middle of the thread is more bewildering still!

I own a Thorn Nomad, a Thorn Audax 853 and the mentioned Raven Tour.
I love my bikes so much I just need to show you (all).
John.

Fred A-M

« Reply #85 on: December 12, 2006, 10:11:06 am »
Welcome to the RST owner's club Wal but can't shed any light on your dyno-hub issue I'm afraid. I hope that your new acquisition becomes a rewarding feature of a balanced lifestyle however.

goosander

« Reply #86 on: December 12, 2006, 10:36:25 am »
Hi wal, hope you enjoy your new Christmas Present!

With regard to the skewers, I seem to recall reading somewhere that SON hubs come complete with some form of security skewer, so maybe that is what is fitted?  I can't be sure though as I don't have one.

I ordered pitlock skewers with my bike and they came fitted on the bike but the conventional skewers were included in the bag of odd & ends that come with the bike.  Indeed judging from the pics on the SKS web site it looks like the spare skewers they shipped me are actually the titanium skewers rather than standard ones, they are certainly very nice whatever they are.

Swislon

« Reply #87 on: December 12, 2006, 10:41:20 am »
Hi wal, what a wonderful Christmas present. Can you not sneak it out when no one is looking. I couldn't keep my hands off it if it was mine.
No info on SON hubs, sorry.

PH

« Reply #88 on: December 12, 2006, 02:15:03 pm »
quote:
Originally posted by wal

Can someone explain the situation with the front QR skewer with the Son Dynohub. It appears not to be QR or maybe I was mistaken.

It is QR as opposed to a nutted axle.  It isn't a cam type QR, it needs an allen key to undo.  At least this is what my two came with.  It can be replaced with any standard QR.

EDIT - There's a couple of photos on the SON website showing the hubs fitted.
http://www.nabendynamo.de/gallery.htm
« Last Edit: December 12, 2006, 02:21:00 pm by PH »

stutho

• Administrator
« Reply #89 on: December 13, 2006, 06:10:52 am »
Hi John - sorry for the late reply.  Yes I could sometime do with an extra low gear on the Rohloff BUT I spend FAR MORE time in 14 than I do in first.  On the flat (no wind) and I am normally in 11 or likely 12 gear.  I live in a hilly (and windy) area and my daily commute involves one large hill and a long flat section along an estuary - very exposed to the wind.  Like I said in my earlier post “I use every one of my 14 gears every day” - QED 42*16 is the correct gearing for me.  (I am not claiming it is right for you or anyone else.)

Incidentally I can also set my bike up with a 42*17 - I have only done this twice for touring.  This set up is NOT low enough for me when caring load,  however it is to low for my normal use.