Author Topic: New Thorn Mercury  (Read 30491 times)

Grimian

Re: New Thorn Mercury
« Reply #30 on: October 30, 2006, 05:48:04 pm »
Hi Ashley
Sorry I haven't been checking this post recently! Anyway, thanks for your comments.

As regards the rack and Ortliebs, I have had to adjust the bags to tilt backwards to enable heel clearence but after having ridden the bike for a number of months now, I am not entirely happy with the clearence as it is. BTW, I am size 9 shoe and use cleated shoes (Specialized Sonoma).

I am considering changing the rack for a Tubus Logo which not only moves the bags further aft, but will lower the centre of gravity. The only downfall is that I will have to buy new mudguard stays as the mounting point is further down. This will mean that the stays will not be as strong and I guess more prone to damage if I'm not careful when mounting the Ortliebs.

I must point out that essentially, the Mercury was not intended for panniers and the option of longer stays was mentioned, but this, I was informed, would alter the feel of the Mercury bringing it more in line with the EXP-R. Having any sort of load on the bike will obviously alter the handling and I dare say moving the bags backwards will alter it further. I had mentioned in one of my earlier posts that I would have liked a front rack option ..... the only rack I can find that will do this job with the Pace forks is the Tubus Swing. According to the reviews I have seen, it is well engineered but boy is it ugly!!!

I really like riding the Mercury without any load but this is not always an option!

I would be interested to know what your feelings are about the luggage situation and how you intend to proceed. Please keep me informed!

And to end with, Go with whatever colour you want ....... if Postman Pat's your thang, that's cool with me!!!!!!

Regards, Ian

Grimian

« Reply #31 on: January 11, 2007, 07:33:52 pm »
Ashley ......... any further with your plans for the Red Mercury?

To update, I am now using a Tubus Logo rack on the back and a Tubus Swing on the front ......... I thought at first that the Swing was ugly but it's grown on me and is undoubtedly a fantastic design and works very well.

I am also using the Ergon MR2 grips that I mentioned about earlier in this thread and I would recommend them to anyone as they are the most comfortable grips I have ever used! .....

Nothing more to add at the moment except that I'm still enjoying the bike as much as when I first got it .......... I thought there would be a kind of honeymoon period but if there is, it isn't over yet [:D] [:D]  I still get excited about riding it every morning and unfortunately my Road Bike hasn't had a look in for almost a year now[:0]
oh! ....and it is true what you read ........ the hub appears to be getting smoother all the time [8D]

Swislon

« Reply #32 on: January 11, 2007, 09:03:47 pm »
Grimian,

Have you still got your Thorn carbon barends inboard as well as the MR2s?
I can imagine its a great set up. Altough with your riser bar it must all look pretty wierd but I guess it gives lots of different hand positions.
How do the MR2s compare with the Cane Creeks ?
I have Ergon grips with Cane Creeks. I like the Ergons alot but don't think the Cane Creeks are the best solution. Apart from looking strange to my eye, they aren't really long enough for me and I think one of the reasons I'm not keen is the bar is too wide. And my bar is much narrower than yours ! I have ordered some ski type bar ends that I'm going to try.
It could be that I actually need a wider bar, inboard bar ends and possibly MR2s, then I could get the best of all worlds. [:)]
Cheers

kwkirby01

« Reply #33 on: January 15, 2007, 04:47:07 pm »
quote:
Originally posted by Grimian

I am also using the Ergon MR2 grips that I mentioned about earlier in this thread and I would recommend them to anyone as they are the most comfortable grips I have ever used! .....

Ian, why the change from Cane Creek Ergos and grips? Just curious as I'm considering a move in the opposite direction!
Kevin
Kevin K. Glasgow

superfinlay

« Reply #34 on: February 05, 2007, 09:14:07 pm »
What gear cables are you using there?

Grimian

« Reply #35 on: July 30, 2007, 06:13:31 pm »
Sorry but I haven't been checking the forum recently. [:I]

Swislon ........ Thorn carbon barends are still inboard with the Ergon MR2's. It gives a variety of positions but I find myself prefering the inboards for cruising. As for the MR2's, they are without doubt the most comfortable grips I have used but, in hindsight, I would have gone for the MP1's with the Cane Creek ends. I think this is the preferred option now of the guys at SJS. I would be interested to know if you have now changed over bar ends.

Kevin ......... I changed to the ergons as I personally find them more comfortable. As I have said above, I would now have kept the ends and bought Ergon MP1's instead. When they are ready for replacing, that is what I will go for [;)]    Unfortunately, my Son is now the proud owner of the cane creek grips AND bar ends as they go very well on his Nexus 8 equipped urban bike!

Superfinlay ........ The gear cables in the picture are Fibrax which are the 'braided' look. SJS supplied these but I have since changed these to Nokian Black.

For general info, I have dispensed with the Tubus Logo for the moment ....... I love the Tubus Swing and I have recently bought a Carry Freedom City trailer!

I am thinking about changing the saddle at some time and have been considering a Brooks Swallow Classic or a Swift ...... anyone got experience of these [?]

Grimian

« Reply #36 on: July 30, 2007, 08:01:46 pm »
Some updated pics!

The majority of these were taken in Holland in May. The ones of the trailer were taken today! I especially like the white stand .... My wife uses it to reach the top cupboards [:D][:D]

Also notice that tyres have been changed to Vredestein Perfect Moiree Folders 26x1.4 I have found them really good in all weathers and even on light tracks .... daft name though [:o)]

http://www.kodakgallery.co.uk/I.jsp?c=5la4tr9x.7fnwe8ut&x=0&y=-e999j3

PH

« Reply #37 on: August 05, 2007, 05:42:46 pm »
Looking as good as ever.

Swislon

« Reply #38 on: August 06, 2007, 01:53:39 pm »
Hi Grimian,

I tried different bar ends on the outside but have settled on Cane Creeks with Ergons. This is on a straight bar with about an inch cut off both sides. I'm thinking of trying a Mary bar fron On One for the hell of it but not just yet.

I'm also on the look out for a different saddle. The B17 has been moved to another bike and I too thought I'd like to try a Swift. The B17 is a sit in saddle, very comfortable but sometimes when trying to go a bit quicker I like the feel of sitting on the saddle. I think it helps for the hills when I stand up.

jp06

« Reply #39 on: August 07, 2007, 04:16:49 pm »
That looks fantastic.  I have built up a slightly similar bike using the Enduro frame (short chainstays), Pace forks, USE Atom riser bars, Hope brakes and Thomson post.  I'm now considering some touring and wonder how your Mercury handles with panniers / trailor?  I haven't yet decided whether to try panniers (Tubus Swing and Old Man Mountain Sherpa) or to go down the Bob Yak trailor route.

Many thanks
John

Grimian

« Reply #40 on: August 16, 2007, 10:05:13 am »
hi all. I am on hols and trying to type on Son's PSP. Very difficult! Will respond in a few days.

Grimian

« Reply #41 on: August 28, 2007, 08:01:59 pm »
Hi sorry for not replying sooner ... couldn't get on with typing on a PSP !

PH  Thanks for your comments. I'm still in love with this bike ..... Don't think my Wife is though as it lives indoors[:D] Still, she can always live in the shed [:D][;)][:o)]

Swislon  it does seem to be the ergon / cane creek combo that's becoming the preferred option of a lot of people I have been talking to. I haven't come across the 'Mary Bar'. I'll look it up!
I'm looking at the Brooks hopefully around Christmas. Like you, I think the setup of my bike lends itself to a sportier saddle than the B17 and the swift seems to fit the bill. The Jury's still out on this one though!

JP06  John... I'd like to see some pics. The Enduro frame appears to be very similar in geometry. I like your choice of components .... some class kit there [8D]

Regarding luggage, the Mercury is marketed as a lightweight tourer and is designed for a rack pack at the back and, with the standard 531 forks, it will take some front panniers in the lo-rider position. I actually prefer carrying small amounts at the front rather than the back with this bike as it is very light up front and it seems to balance things out a bit with the Rohloff at the rear.

Because of my choice of fork (due to wanting disc brakes), the general opinion seems to be not to clamp anything too heavy directly to the carbon fork blades. This is why there are only a few options to go for when choosing a front rack. I looked at the Old Man Mountain racks which are very well made but for me it was the Tubus Swing (Both ugly IMHO but the swing has grown on me [:D])
I use Ortlieb Front Roller Plus panniers when the weather is bad and Ortlieb Sport Packer Plus if I want to carry a bit more.

As far as the trailer is concerned, SJS advised me that the Mercury would be well suited to towing a trailer, and my experience of this is good. I guess it depends what you want to do but I went for the Carry Freedom for its convenience (I use it to go shopping) Foldability (is that a word[?]) but also because as I understand, a two wheeled trailer does not place as much strain on the rear axle  but a single wheel will track and corner much better (please someone correct me if I am wrong). Since nearly all of my riding with this bike is by road, the Carry Freedom was the obvious choice for me. If I was going for an off road tour, I would use a BOB or I like the Weber Monoporter as single wheeled trailers. Apparantly, I have heard there have been some issues with the BOB Ibex (suspended) but I do not know if they are justified.

I am already thinking about a more rugged off road tourer and like the idea of the Nomad (Rohloff) or maybe an Enduro. I would want a single wheeled trailer for that [;)] You would be better off asking SJS if the Enduro is suited to pulling a trailer just to make sure!

Well, I hope that helps ..... please let me know your thoughts!

Ashley

« Reply #42 on: December 09, 2007, 05:52:39 pm »
Hi Ian,
Good to see that your Mercury is still giving you many happy miles of cycling. I still haven't ordered one yet. I am thinking about placing an order around March 08. I will probably end up with a metallic dark blue frame, instead of Postman Pat now.
I will let you know how I get on with the order. Thanks for all your posts and pictures - they have been a great motivation to keep saving for a Mercury.

Happy Cycling.

Ashley

Grimian

« Reply #43 on: December 10, 2007, 07:18:24 pm »
Hello Ashley

Thank you for your comments  :) I'm glad you are still going for the Mercury and the idea of a dark blue sounds perfect! I'll look forward to hearing how it's going  8)

I've now covered nearly 4000 miles and I have to say the Rohloff seems to be getting sweeter by the day. How did I ever live without it :D
I spoke about a change of saddle a few posts back ............... well I have asked Santa for a Brooks Swift (in black) which I know he has been able to get because I ordered it myself  ;D :D .... trouble is my Wife has wrapped it up so I can't play with it :P   I suppose I should really be setting an example to the kids :-[

I'll let you know how I get on with it in due course .............. until then, Adios !!!

Ian