Author Topic: New Thorn Mercury  (Read 29187 times)

Grimian

New Thorn Mercury
« on: May 15, 2006, 10:39:19 pm »
Well it's a few weeks old now ......... done 260 miles and must say that it's the most comfortable bike I have ever owned [:p]....... Thanks to all at SJS who helped me realise my dream bike. [8D]

Have a look at some pics!!!!

http://uk.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/grim_ian/album?.dir=9b5bre2&.src=ph&store=&prodid=&.done=http%3a//uk.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/grim_ian/my_photoshttp://

Are there any other Mercury owners out there?

kwkirby01

Re: New Thorn Mercury
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2006, 10:55:45 pm »
It's very, er.., yellow! [8D][:D]
Nice bike though.
Kevin
Kevin K. Glasgow

Grimian

« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2006, 08:25:56 am »
Thanks ...yes it is very yellow [;)]..........
I'm glad I went for this colour though. I think you'd agree that it's easy to be seen [:0] I also don't think I'd lose it in a snowstorm  
(not that I'm planning on using it in a snowstorm )[:D][:D]

kwkirby01

« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2006, 11:39:11 am »
Just had another look at the photos. Is it a Mercury or an EXXP. The frame looks suspiciously like my own EXXP - especially those reinforcing bars between the chain and seat stays...
Kevin K. Glasgow

Andrew

« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2006, 11:55:35 am »
quote:
Originally posted by kwkirby01

Just had another look at the photos. Is it a Mercury or an EXXP. The frame looks suspiciously like my own EXXP - especially those reinforcing bars between the chain and seat stays...

No it's a Mercury eg. ultrashort wheelbase, check out the rear chainstay length! [8D]

kwkirby01

« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2006, 01:28:24 pm »
I assume the reinforcing bar at the back is for the disc brake?
Kevin K. Glasgow

Grimian

« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2006, 01:55:14 pm »
Andrews right ..... check out the short chainstays!! It certainly does make it very nimble [8D]

The reason for the brace is purely due to the fact I wanted the frame to be disc-specific and Kevin at SJS advised that the brace would be a must to overcome the extra forces that a disk brake produces. I believe that the 725 rear chainstays are very slightly larger guage than the standard Mercury spec.

For those who might be interested ........ here is the spec ......

Reynolds 853 Custom Build Frame 725 chainstays
Pace RC31 Carbon Fork (disk specific)
Easton EA70 Stem
Rohloff Disk Brake Speedhub
Chris King Front Disk Hub (16T sprocket)
Chris King NoThreadSet
Stronglight Pulsion Compact Carbon Chainset (48T)
Rohloff Chain
Magura Marta SL brakes - Braided Hose Set
Mavic XC717 Disc Rims Black
Vredestein S-Licks 26x1.3 Tyres
Rohloff/DT Swiss Black Spokes
Use Atom XC Riser Bar
Use Alien Carbon Seatpost
Fizik Gobi Wingflex saddle
Cane Creek Lock-on grips/Bar Ends
New Thorn Carbon Bar Ends (mounted in-board)
Crankbrothers Candy SL Pedals
Thorn Carbon Mudguards
Reynolds 531 Custom Built Rack
Cateye Cordless Computer

I think that about sums it up!! I decided to go all out for this bike as it was for a special Birthday I celebrated recently (and NO I'm not telling which one [:p])

I do have other photos if people are interested and SJS have taken pictures of the build from the ground up which they may be posting in the near future.

Just as a matter of interest, are there many Thorns in Hampshire [?] I know of one (a work colleague who introduced me to the Rohloff [^])

Happy Cycling!! [;)]

PH

« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2006, 04:03:52 pm »
quote:
Originally posted by Grimian
I decided to go all out for this bike as it was for a special Birthday I celebrated recently (and NO I'm not telling which one [:p])

All your birthdays rolled into one by the look of it, that's an incredible spec and looking bike.

Grimian

« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2006, 06:45:21 pm »
Thanks PH ...... it took a lot of creeping to my Wife and I dare say I'll be paying for it for a long time to come if she has her way [;)]

Anyway, suffice to say I have owned and ridden many bikes in my time but even though I have only done just short of 300miles on this bike in the last three weeks, I can already tell that SJS have got this setup spot on [8D]

Only things that I will be changing are the rack mounts ...... I'm having some anodised in Black, the front brake cable is standard and will be changed to braided when the parts arrive and I may think long term about changing the grips for the new Ergon grips with built-in bar end. I noticed Robin Thorn uses the older type on his Mercury but I don't know of anyone else who has tried them.

I'll try and get some more pics up soon if you're interested!

Grimian

« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2006, 07:23:32 pm »
I've uploaded some more pics if anyone's interested [:)]

http://uk.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/grim_ian/album?.dir=9b5bre2&.src=ph&store=&prodid=&.done=http%3a//uk.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/grim_ian/my_photoshttp://

I forgot one thing on the spec . Bottom Bracket is an FSA Titanium ISIS ..... first time I've used ISIS so we'll see how it goes!! Apparantly Chris King was supposed to be producing one but there is no date fixed! ..... I guess it would be pointless if he did them in different colours like his Headsets & Hubs [:D]

just one other thing I'd like to add ..... I was told by SJS that the Mercury's short chainstay length would preclude me from using panniers on the rear ......... well with my old Ortlieb Front Roller Plus, I can get them on with no problem!! [:I]

All I had to do was use the adjustment to tilt them backward slightly and Hey Presto ..... enough clearance [8D] The clearance is close but this is ok for me because I have size 9 shoes and because I am clipped in, there can be no movement backwards from the shoe whilst in use.

I have ordered an Ortlieb Rack Top Plus bag that fixes to the panniers giving me enough for a small tour which is just ideal [:)]

kwkirby01

« Reply #10 on: May 16, 2006, 11:49:57 pm »
quote:
I may think long term about changing the grips for the new Ergon grips with built-in bar end. I noticed Robin Thorn uses the older type on his Mercury but I don't know of anyone else who has tried them.

My LBS stock the Ergon grips, and reckoned I could use my Cane Creek Ergo Control bar ends with the standard Ergon grip. They didn't think much of the Ergon built in bar ends. Certainly the Ergo Controls seem more comfy, but I haven't tried them out on the bike yet becasue I'm waiting for the Rohloff specific Ergon grip to be released. I'll let you know how I get on when I've tried them.
Kevin K. Glasgow

Grimian

« Reply #11 on: May 17, 2006, 08:22:05 am »
Thanks for the info Kevin [^]

I wasn't aware that Ergon were about to produce a Rohloff specific version.... that was one of my thoughts about going for the normal length on the right grip ....... with the shifter, you'd end up with one hell of a long grip which would then interfere with the inboard mounted Thorn bar ends I have!!!

It's not that I don't like the Cane Creeks .. I use them on my Mountain Bike and find them especially good for climbing hills. I'm just intrigued by the ergons!

I can see what your LBS mean about the bar ends ........ the ergons I've seen (version R2M I think!) have a much larger built in bar end than the first version which I think look too small to be of any use ........ I don't know if the R2M would be better [?]
I have a pic on this link ...........

http://www.ergon-bike.com/download/ergon.pdfhttp://

john28july

« Reply #12 on: May 17, 2006, 08:52:51 am »
I think that my Thorn bikes are much better colors, but each to his own etc!
No offence intended.
John.
www.pbase.com/john28july
[8D][:D][:I][V]

kwkirby01

« Reply #13 on: May 17, 2006, 09:16:54 am »
quote:
I can see what your LBS mean about the bar ends ........ the ergons I've seen (version R2M I think!) have a much larger built in bar end than the first version which I think look too small to be of any use ........ I don't know if the R2M would be better [?]

It's the R2M version I looked at, with the long magnesium bar end. If you want a similar position to the Cane Creeks, this would do the job, but I don't think it's as comfortable. On the other hand, it does look a lot more stylish!
Kevin
Kevin K. Glasgow

kwkirby01

« Reply #14 on: May 17, 2006, 09:28:12 am »
quote:

I wasn't aware that Ergon were about to produce a Rohloff specific version.... that was one of my thoughts about going for the normal length on the right grip ....... with the shifter, you'd end up with one hell of a long grip which would then interfere with the inboard mounted Thorn bar ends I have!!!

I just looked at the link in your original posting. If you scroll down the page you can see a picture of the Rohloff Ergon R2M - code 424 002 35 Rohloff®/Nexus®/DualDrive.

My understanding from Fine-ADC (UK distributor) is that these should arrive in mid-May, round about now in fact. [:)]
Kevin K. Glasgow