Author Topic: New Thorn Mercury  (Read 29184 times)

Grimian

Re: New Thorn Mercury
« Reply #15 on: May 17, 2006, 10:40:30 am »
Hi John
You have quite a collection of bikes there!!

I agree with you that choices of colour (and spec for that matter) are definately down to personal taste.

Whilst Yellow is not my favourite colour, I did not want black as I personally find this boring. I wasn't allowed any form of red because my Eldest Son thought I'd look like Postman Pat [:0] I already own two blue bikes (blue being my favourite colour!) and the only green for this bike would have been the brightest Lime green you ever saw [8D][:D]

So Yellow it was ......... my Son now calls me Banana Man [:D][:D]
(and he expects pocket money[?][}:)])

Grimian

« Reply #16 on: May 17, 2006, 10:57:01 am »
Kevin

The sound of Rohloff/gripshift specific grips sounds great [^] It would  definately get over the problem of grip length on the right hand side [:)]

I agree with you that the Cane Creek bar ends are supremely comfortable and probably more so than the Ergons but I also agree that they do look pretty cool [8D]

I wander if SJS will be stocking them[?]

kwkirby01

« Reply #17 on: May 17, 2006, 11:06:43 am »
quote:
So Yellow it was ......... my Son now calls me Banana Man [:D][:D]
(and he expects pocket money[?][}:)])

My EXXP is black and yellow - so I get called bumble bee [:D][:D]
A Roberts Roughstuff Lite was tested in C+ last year sometime in Kawasaki Lime Green - it looked fabulous.
Kevin K. Glasgow

Grimian

« Reply #18 on: May 17, 2006, 11:50:12 am »
Bumble Bee eh?! Have you got a pic? I like the look of the EXXP. Am I right in saying it's basically a more robust Mercury (with a longer wheelbase)capable of more loaded touring off road?

My reason for opting for the Mercury is that all of my riding is on road and I don't have the need for large amounts of luggage . As Andrew at SJS said, the Mercury is more than capable of towing a Bob Yak if required!

I very nearly did go for a Lime Green which was very similar to Kawasaki Green .. with the Black tyres, guards, rack and other bits, it would have looked fantastic .. but there just was something about the yellow [;)]

kwkirby01

« Reply #19 on: May 17, 2006, 12:16:48 pm »
quote:
Originally posted by Grimian

Bumble Bee eh?! Have you got a pic? I like the look of the EXXP. Am I right in saying it's basically a more robust Mercury (with a longer wheelbase)capable of more loaded touring off road?

I think that sums it up nicely. The frame materials are the same but in much bigger guages.
I had a suspension fork fitted to mine which I just can't get on with - mainly becasue most of my cycling has ended up being on the road. I'm waiting to take delivery of a rigid steel fork which will make it look like the Rohloff EXP. I could have used the Pace carbon fork with my disk brake, but decided to go for the traditional look. I'll post a picture soon (once I've found somewhere to host it!)
Kevin K. Glasgow

Grimian

« Reply #20 on: May 17, 2006, 01:23:23 pm »
Looking forward to seeing a picture [:)]

I originally wanted a steel (531) triple crown fork for my setup but SJS would not entertain making one due to safety reasons in making a steel fork that is disk brake specific.[:0] Also, they said that to make a steel fork like this would necessitate the use of a very heavy gauge steel that would alter the characteristics of the bike and also make for a very uncomfortable ride [:(]

So I was left with the choice of either the Pace RC31 with the Magura Disk brakes I had already bought, or a 531 steel tube with rim brakes (possibly a Magura HS33). I made my choice and so far I am happy [:)][:D]

Of course, in the future, if I wanted to go on a long tour using this bike, I could get SJS to make me a pair of 531's , use rim brakes on the front, and go with lo-loaders for more versatility. But that is very much in the future.

So what brakes will you be going for at the front [?]
And more importantly will you be going for Yellow or Black [?][:D][:D]

kwkirby01

« Reply #21 on: May 17, 2006, 02:30:03 pm »
quote:
So what brakes will you be going for at the front [?]
And more importantly will you be going for Yellow or Black [?][:D][:D]

The fork is black with tasteful polished silver bits around the crown - didn't want to give any excuses for further entertaining names[:D]

I have an XTR on the back, but I'm swithering over another XTR on the front or changing to Magura HS33s.

I tow a kiddy trailer quite often, and it was suggested in a recent C+ review that hydraulic brakes are just the ticket for this setup. I don't know if they would give me that much more useful stopping power, and it's difficult to find an objective view on V's vs. Magura. All the threads I find seem to be quite emotive on the subject [:0].

The common factor in most pro-Magura threads seems to be very low maintnance, which the main reason I went for a Rohloff bike in the first place; so maybe that's a good reason[?] They look quite cool too [8D] and it's nice to be different.

Talking of cool, the new Thorn bar ends you have look the business. Much better than my smaller original thorn bar ends. I might have to treat myself..
Kevin K. Glasgow

PH

« Reply #22 on: May 17, 2006, 04:17:56 pm »
quote:
Originally posted by Grimian

Only things that I will be changing are the rack mounts ...... I'm having some anodised in Black

Good move, I mentioned on another thread that I thought they looked like pieces of Meccano and let the look of the bike down.  Robin Thorn answered with all the practical reasons why they're like that...didn't alter my opinion that they're ugly.  

Thanks for posting the extra photos and spec.  Carbon mudguards and Ti BB, I didn’t even know such things existed.  You must have done your research, those components I have heard of are all rated as the best available.  If you made any compromises I can’t see where.  I hope it lives up to expectations, I have a feeling it will.  

Grimian

« Reply #23 on: May 17, 2006, 06:52:37 pm »
Thanks PH [:)] So far the Mercury's more than living up to my expectations [:p]

I did do a lot of research ..... I first had the idea of wanting a Rohloff about 2 years ago when a colleague of mine bought a Raven Tour which he is very pleased with. I started properly researching bits for this bike back in about June last year and it sort of became a bit of an obsession [:I]

As I said earlier, I did decide to pull out all the stops with this one and I guess there aren't many corners cut .... perhaps I would have liked the new Pace RC31 Titanium crowned fork but that's not available yet and possibly the Chris King Titanium Headset but that would be picky!!

I didn't know of the new Thorn Carbon Bar Ends until it was pointed out to me in February ....... I must admit I hadn't even seen them until I went to pick up the bike so it was a bit of a gamble but I do find the larger size, thumb indent and in-board mounting very comfortable on the straight especially into a headwind [^]

Kevin ........... go get some!!!!!!

The carbon mudguards were obviously an unnecessary expense as I doubt if they perform any better than SKS's I've got on another bike but I personally don't like the look of mudguards so if I had to have them, I wanted them to look good ........ and I think they do! [8D]

Kevin re: your fork...... that's the colour I'd have chosen .....I won't suggest any entertaining names although I have one 'buzzin' around in my head [:D][:D][:D]

I have a friend who has used Magura HS33's and for Rim Brakes, he cannot rate them highly enough ..... he did suggest, however, that to get the best from them, you should be looking at ceramic rims [;)]

SJS suggested that XTR's would give as much stopping power as even disks in dry conditions but I was adamant about what I wanted ....... I have just ridden home tonight in the rain and my brakes were superb ....... I doubt if XTR's could have performed as well ........ most threads I read talk about modulation as the main reason for going with v-brakes but I haven't experienced any problems and actually prefer to know that if I need to stop, I can!

Towing a Kiddie trailer, I know what I'd want ........ I don't think you'd be disappointed with the Maguras.[:)] BTW, the Magura HS33's come in a limited edition Lime Green [:D][:D][:D]

Grimian

« Reply #24 on: May 17, 2006, 06:54:36 pm »
PH . I know what you mean about the rack mounts looking like meccano [:D]

The Anodised Black ones arrived today . will post an updated pic when I get the chance (prob. over the weekend)

kwkirby01

« Reply #25 on: May 17, 2006, 07:34:06 pm »
quote:
I have a friend who has used Magura HS33's and for Rim Brakes, he cannot rate them highly enough ..... he did suggest, however, that to get the best from them, you should be looking at ceramic rims [;)]

SJS suggested that XTR's would give as much stopping power as even disks in dry conditions but I was adamant about what I wanted ....... I have just ridden home tonight in the rain and my brakes were superb ....... I doubt if XTR's could have performed as well ........ most threads I read talk about modulation as the main reason for going with v-brakes but I haven't experienced any problems and actually prefer to know that if I need to stop, I can!

Towing a Kiddie trailer, I know what I'd want ........ I don't think you'd be disappointed with the Maguras.[:)] BTW, the Magura HS33's come in a limited edition Lime Green [:D][:D][:D]

Good job I've got ceramics on my EXXP if I'm going to get Maguras[;)]
As for the lime green, I've seen black, green and yellow caterpillars somewhere[:D]
Kevin K. Glasgow

Grimian

« Reply #26 on: May 17, 2006, 10:05:06 pm »
quote:
Good job I've got ceramics on my EXXP if I'm going to get Maguras
As for the lime green, I've seen black, green and yellow caterpillars somewhere

Cool! [8D] Let me know what you decide. I will look forward to seeing some photos [;)]

kwkirby01

« Reply #27 on: May 28, 2006, 10:40:42 pm »
quote:
I will look forward to seeing some photos [;)]

New forks, Magura HS33 brakes and new Thorn carbon bar ends arrived last week. Off to the LBS tomorrow to get it all sorted (not a public holiday here - not one that everyone observes anyway).

I'm changing from riser bars to flats at the same time and have now ordered Marathon 1.5 tyres to replace my Marathon XR's - a bit more speed on the road, but still quite capable of light off-road.

Here's a picture of my bike in it's current state; New Year's day in the snow, just before the sun went down (hence it's a little dark):

http://static.flickr.com/60/155050803_a1da24ca63.jpg

New photos will be posted whe all the bits have been fitted. Can't wait to see how she rides, I think it will feel like a different bike.

Kevin
Kevin K. Glasgow

Grimian

« Reply #28 on: May 30, 2006, 10:49:23 pm »
Hi Kevin,

I bet you're looking forward to seeing the new parts on your bike. I reckon you'll be pleased as punch [:D] You won't go wrong with the HS33's [;)]
I'd be interested in seeing the fork .... '531' is it [?] Will you be loading the front with panniers [?] This is something I looked at doing but the only decent carrier I could find was a Tubus Swing but it looks completely hideous in my opinion [:0]

The tyres you've chosen will definately make things a little easier on the road. I think you can put a lot of air in the Marathon's.

Interesting choice to go flat instead of riser bars ........ any particular reason [?] just curious that's all!

Thanks for posting a pic of your bike as it was ...... looks a bit cold where you are .......... I haven't seen snow like that for years [:D] Perhaps you could take the next pic earlier in the day !!!! [:o)]

As far as my bike is going, I have replaced those rack mounts with black ones and will post an updated pic as soon as I have time. I think it looks much much better [8D]

I today noticed a creaking in the drive side pedal and being Crankbrothers and so easy to maintain, I decided to re-greased both sides ....... I found there was virtually no grease in the drive side pedal [:0] Anyway, problem sorted [^]

I have heard that some people have carried out an oil change after the first 1000km (after the final filing process is complete)and have found that the Hub is much quieter and smoother. I'm thinking of doing the same. Have you any experience of this [?]

Ashley

« Reply #29 on: September 27, 2006, 10:39:47 am »
Hi Ian,
Really like your Mercury - but I think I would buy a Postman Pat colour! It looks like a lot of fun. I am thinking of buying a similiar spec, but with V-brakes.
How are you getting on with the pannier rack & Ortlieb front roller panniers? Have you had any significant problems with the clearance?

Happy Cycling

Ashley

P.S. The carbon mudguards might have been a luxury purchase, but they look fantastic!