Author Topic: Should I get an RST  (Read 3559 times)

geocycle

Re: Should I get an RST
« Reply #15 on: April 28, 2014, 07:43:53 pm »
17kg is quite heavy, although the bar bag must be a kilo.  My raven tour was around 15-16 kg.  I'd estimate my rst is less than 15kg but I haven't weighed it properly. What wheel rim have you gone for?  I don't find rohloff driven bikes heavy overall and especially when riding, but I wish the weight wasn't all on the back wheel.

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #16 on: April 28, 2014, 08:18:20 pm »
17kg is quite heavy, although the bar bag must be a kilo.  My raven tour was around 15-16 kg.
For comparison's sake, my 590M Nomad (dry) and with only the underseat bag attached comes in right at 20kg total as pictured in the gallery.

My favorite derailleur rando bike is 14.5kg (considered a bit heavy for that use, but it is fine in practice).

Yep, the HB bags can add a surprising amount, and include the bracket as well as the bag.

I don't find rohloff driven bikes heavy overall and especially when riding
<nods> Good point, Geo'. Unless one is accelerating a lot (the commuter's stop light drag race) or has a lot of hills, even a heavier bike will go along well at a steady state. The Rohloff itself isn't that much more than the accumulated mass of a derailleur drivetrain. Geo's right; it's more the placement of the weight that causes any notice.

Best,

Dan.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2014, 08:20:58 pm by Danneaux »

alfie1952

« Reply #17 on: April 28, 2014, 08:19:31 pm »
Hi Peter,

Looking forward to seeing your Raven.

Alfie.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2014, 08:23:23 pm by alfie1952 »

phopwood

« Reply #18 on: April 28, 2014, 08:34:50 pm »
Looking forward to seeing your Raven, but your Sherpa is a smart looking machine. Is there any chance you will rebuild the Sherpa as a derailleur geared bike with a new wheelset ?

Alfie.
Alfie yes there is a very good chance it will be rebuilt, at some point in the future.  I still have the derailleurs and thumb shifters ready to go, I still have some wheels for it in the garage.  I like many people on this forum seem to collect bike parts.  I love the sherpa and the black colour it has rekindled my love to cycle.

17kg is quite heavy, although the bar bag must be a kilo.  My raven tour was around 15-16 kg.
For comparison's sake, my 590M Nomad (dry) and with only the underseat bag attached comes in right at 20kg total as pictured in the gallery.

My favorite derailleur rando bike is 14.5kg (considered a bit heavy for that use, but it is fine in practice).

Yep, the HB bags can add a surprising amount, and include the bracket as well as the bag.

I don't find rohloff driven bikes heavy overall and especially when riding
<nods> Good point, Geo'. Unless one is accelerating a lot (the commuter's stop light drag race) or has a lot of hills, even a heavier bike will go along well at a steady state. The Rohloff itself isn't that much more than the accumulated mass of a derailleur drivetrain. Geo's right; it's more the placement of the weight that causes any notice.

Best,

Dan

The picture is how I ride it all the time, I don’t worry about the weight of the whole bike, this is the first time I have ever weighed it, I hope the lighter frame and less bits will make it feel more sporty

I have ordered a DTswiss 425 rim, which is 300g lighter than the Andra 30 that is on it now.  I will keep the Andra rim and spokes just in case I ever decide to trek around the world on it.

Peter.

phopwood

« Reply #19 on: April 29, 2014, 05:13:25 pm »
I have added some pictures of my build to the gallery.

http://www.thorncycles.co.uk/forums/index.php?topic=8965.0