Author Topic: Should I get an RST  (Read 3557 times)

phopwood

Should I get an RST
« on: April 18, 2014, 09:11:00 pm »
I have a sherpa with a rolhoff hub fitted, very happy with it, love it in fact.  But so far I use it for local cycling I may do some light touring at some point in the near future.  At the moment I keeping wanting something a little sportier.  I don't want drops, never liked them never been comfortable with drops.  I just want something sportier.

So the question is would I be happier with an RST?

I would just buy the frame, and swap some parts around, I would most likely keep the sherpa frame, but I would go for lighter rear wheel build, so I could rebuild a sherpa in the future if I needed too.

Today I converted my specialized racing bike to flat bars to see if the sportier bike would suit me, it has 700mm wheels but with flat bars it is more suited to me, I never got on with it with drops, we never become one with each other. I used existing parts from the parts bin to do the converstion so no money was wasted.

Peter

phopwood

Re: Should I get an RST
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2014, 06:52:58 pm »
Mind you I saw this today, look very nice a little more expensive that an RST frameset.

http://www.kinesisbikes.co.uk/products/decade/tripster-atr

Must stop looking at bike frames
  ;D

Peter

jags

« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2014, 07:36:28 pm »
Peter thats one hell of a bike ;) but why not buy yourself a good carbon roadbike keep the sherpa for touring.myself i'm happy enough these days  owning just the one bike for all my needs. the days of me going fast is well and truly gone, 14mph is my usual  speed which i'm happy enough with.

theres no harm looking though  ;D

jags.

phopwood

« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2014, 07:50:09 pm »
Yes that's what I want one bike that does everything, I currently spend all my time on my Sherpa or my Brampton both brilliant bikes.  I have never got on with racing bike they never seem to fit me, and while drops look great I don't get on with them at all.

Hence my want for a RST........

Peter

geocycle

« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2014, 09:04:55 pm »
Well, if sjs still have one in your size go for it! There are sportier bikes out there but if you want sporty and rohloff the mercury or the RST are your options with thorn.

phopwood

« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2014, 11:54:36 am »
OK I got permission from the wife, the hardest part of any transaction. 

I just ordered a Blue 511s RST frame, a 73mm BB and a DT Swiss rim to rebuild my back wheel.  All the rest of the components will come from my Sherpa.

Hope it will be here soon so I can swap some parts around.

Peter

alfie1952

« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2014, 12:34:53 pm »
Hi Peter,

Well done, this must be the month for new bikes, though I hope you are not on bread and water for a month, like I am.

Regards Alfie

jags

« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2014, 01:04:30 pm »
well done lads peter and alfie happy days are here again  ;D ;D
peter your wife must know mine.  ::)

jags.

phopwood

« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2014, 01:27:44 pm »
Jags,

well done lads peter and alfie happy days are here again   
peter your wife must know mine. 

jags.

Most likely, she comes from the other side of the border in Derry.  And you know everyone knows everyone.

Hi Peter,

Well done, this must be the month for new bikes, though I hope you are not on bread and water for a month, like I am.

Regards Alfie

I might be, I am sure it will cost me something special for her.  Lets see how it plays out.

Peter

Andybg

« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2014, 03:13:37 pm »
Congrats Peter.

Looking forward to seeing the new build. I am sure you cant wait to get it out on the road

Andy

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #10 on: April 23, 2014, 03:54:02 pm »
Wonderful new-bike news afoot on the Forum these days!

Congratulations Peter and Alfie. These will be great in the gallery!

May many happy journeys pass beneath your wheels.

All the best,

Dan.

phopwood

« Reply #11 on: April 23, 2014, 03:58:44 pm »
Thanks all for your kind words, I have just ordered some paint protection film so i can protect it from the stones etc.  My Sherpa does not like stones at all and has too many stone chips.  in fact more than my 14 year old volvo with 190000 miles on the clock.

Peter

alfie1952

« Reply #12 on: April 23, 2014, 09:18:16 pm »
Hi Peter,

I have used frame protection tape on my bikes for the last few years and it really does the job well. I got mine on ebay from Paragon tapes at a reasonable price. I'm sure you're going to have fun seeing your new bike coming together. Try posting photographs of the build I'm sure that would be of interest to a lot of forum members. Looking forward to seeing the completed bike.

Regards Alfie.

phopwood

« Reply #13 on: April 28, 2014, 07:26:12 pm »
Just got an email from SJS, my box of bits are on route.

This is a picture of my Sherpa ready to get undressed.  It is currently weighing in at 17Kg, I hope my RST will be a bit lighter.  I have ordered a much lighter rim for the rear wheel, and there are a few bits on the Sherpa that I never user, so they go in the bike bits box.

So tomorrow the new adventure starts.

All the best.

Peter

phopwood

« Reply #14 on: April 28, 2014, 07:27:28 pm »
Another picture