Author Topic: Danneaux's Tour de Yerrup  (Read 35929 times)

macspud

Re: Danneaux's Tour de Yerrup
« Reply #45 on: March 30, 2014, 08:01:50 PM »
You're going bare on your bike?

Yikes
 :o

Lol  :D

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #46 on: April 12, 2014, 07:18:56 PM »
Hi All!

A little update...

Luggage and packing
Since I can't go truly bare on my bike (I always love a pun, Matt), I have to take stuff with me. Luggage requirements for international air travel are now for "less", smaller and lighter than I flew with in 2008, so I've downsized accordingly. I had thought about simply lashing my filled Ortliebs together, but as a unit they were too large to meet requirements and individually, they were too many to avoid incurring a hefty overage charge. The solution was a polycarbonate suitcase from the big-box membership-discount warehouse store, Costco.

All my cycle-touring gear for the trip including SPD shoes and pedals fits in the suitcase to stow in the cargo hold. All my clothing -- cycling and off-bike casual -- fits in the wee wheeled backpack as carry-on luggage. My handlebar bag holds all electronics and is my allowable "man-bag"/personal item to fit under my seat. I'll buy a stove on arrival, but except for food, I'm good to go for four months on what I'm taking.

For those wanting details, I've attached photos below: There's space left over, but things are looking good for what's left to fit. The car-wash towel will be cut down and hemmed to serve as towels and washcloths to be stored in zip-top bags. These are just as effective and *much* less expensive than backpacking-specific versions and made from the same material.

I have learned to use little tissue packets as packing 'cos it is perfect toilet paper when I start a tour and something that is not always available in restrooms or when wild camping.

(Clockwise on right suitcase-half): Sub-kilo down sleeping bag at top (good to freezing temps alone or a bit lower by adding clothing), 1-person tent at top-right, pad at lower-right. 10l MSR Dromedary, Ortlieb underseat bag, cookpots (will buy stove on arrival), miscellaneous including riding/eye glasses and towel and pedals beneath.

I'll add disposable contact lenses when they arrive. No cleaning/storage supplies needed and a fresh pair everyday. They're a true monovision setup (left eye=near, right eye=far) instead of my usual modified-monovision multifocal contacts that last 1mo/each. For backup, I'll be taking my regular multifocal eyeglasses and the eyeglass insert for my cycling glasses; it has a near-distance stick-on bifocal on the left.

There's more vertical space (thickness) available in the suitcase than it appears, so I can still add a layer of stuff.

On the left, it is mostly just the four panniers and the cycling shoes.

Stuff is tucked everywhere -- there's my pillow and silk liner inside the shoes, for example.

On the flight, I'll be wearing my helmet and flight clothing -- underpants, 3/4 cycling tights, cargo pants with zip-off legs, air-weave t-shirt, longsleeve cycling sun jersey, wind jacket, \quarter-socks and Merrell nylon-mesh clogs. This saves space and I can "shed" clothes once I'm seated.

I bought my helmet in San Diego and wore it on the flight home so it wouldn't get crushed/cracked in cargo. I grew a bit weary of people pointing at the helmet and asking if I knew something they didn't, but it worked out. I did the same going to Amsterdam in 2008 and will wear it again on the plane. Andy will be able to spot me easily enough -- how many passengers will be wearing red helmets?  ;D

AAA: Unexpected Ally for travel credit and debit
CREDIT:
As an American, I'm finding an unexpected ally in the AAA (American Automobile Association) in terms of needed travel items (each outlet has a small store of reasonably priced goodies, discounted further for members) and services that make a year's basic single membership well worth it at ~USD$55.

I then signed up for their AAA travel VISA credit card with chip-and-signature and 2% conversion fee. It is issued by Bank of America and has no annual fee, but looks to be valid only with an AAA membership so that could be considered the fee. On activating the card, BofA advised I would also qualify for their own travel VISA credit card with no annual fee and 0% overseas transaction fee and chip-and sig, so I signed on for that as well. This gives me two cards that are not tied to any of my others and I will use them exclusively for travel, the one with 2% fee as a backup. This is important because I have some of my other cards tied to autopay of utilities services and such so I can "invisibly" earn rewards each month. My favorites are for air miles (BofA AlaskaAir VISA) and camping equipment (US Bank REI VISA). Both of these travel cards are issued by BofA. BofA's fraud protection covers all three and I can manage the cards at one bank. My home autopay cards will stay home so I won't have a hassle with unpaid utilities/garbage service, etc. if a travel card is cancelled for loss, fraud, or me changing my itinerary without notice.

At present, chip-equipped credit cards are hard to come by here in the States, and often command a premium price when available. They are not expected to be common until required by law in 2020, and neither my bank or credit union have any to issue. Unfortunately, the chip-equipped cards available here are only the chip-and-signature kind, *not* the far more secure chip-and-PIN. The only chip-and-PIN credit cards I have found to date is issued by the United Nations Credit Union in New York City and requires membership. Reading up on the matter in financial and banking forums, it appears unlikely the PIN versions will ever become widely available here. Despite recent massive security breaches, there's not much of a push toward greater security in financial sectors Stateside.

DEBIT:
AAA also is providing my VISA Travel Money debit cards. At time of purchase, I chose to pay another small fee (USD$3.50 as I recall) for a companion card. This draws on the same pool of money, but has its own PIN and ID number. It can be canceled separately and serves as an instant backup in case the other card is stolen (I'll store them separately from each other). There is a transaction fee but it isn't too bad, and I can reload the debit cards by a variety of means. I will reload mine from either of the two BofA credit cards, so no separate bank account is needed here; transloading will take care of it all and still limit my liability if the debit cards are compromised. I will setup each debit card with its own pin, and -- though labeled "Debit" as required by US law -- each can be used as a "check", "credit" or "debit" card as needed to get money from an ATM, from a teller, or to purchase things.Total for the two cards was about USD$16. These cards are available from AAA and from the Safeway grocery store chain in the gift card section of each store.

The International Driver's Permit: Belt 'n' braces backup
AAA also provided me with an International Driver's Permit for ~USD$21 complete with two passport-sized photos, and it is valid only outside the US for one year and only when used with my state-issued driver's license; I can always drive if needed. Apart from driving, the IDP serves a number of backup purposes, all of which could be very handy. First, it is another ready form of identification. Second, it allows vehicle rental more quickly with less hassle -- or at all -- than with only a US state-issued D/L. This includes one-way rentals, which are *much* more difficult if not impossible without. This provides another means to make a return to Andy with the bike if I get caught short for some reason -- illness, overstaying my itinerary, whatever, if I'm in an area without ready access to train service. Third, there's more than one use for a rental car. I've made short rentals before as a means for a) portable on-street lodging when no other is available due to festivals and conventions, b) portable secure storage -- a Citröen Berlingo-class minivan with tinted windows is a lockable bicycle storage facility, and c) a means to quickly move to another area for touring, independent of trains. I found a rental car to be an ideal means for sleeping in the rest areas (aires, see: http://www.abelard.org/france/motorway-aires1.php ) of French toll roads while transiting parts of Upper and Lower Normandy on my way to Bretagne. The aires typically include a petrol filling station, toilets, the occasional shower, and frequent nighttime security patrols that don't bother sleeping drivers so long as they're not tenting. If you don't mind sleeping in the vehicle (harder but still possible if it is a Seat Leon), it can add a lot of versatility to a time-limited tour. It can also be surprisingly inexpensive. A round-trip week's rental of a Rotterdam-based diesel Leon in 2008 cost me only ~USD$300 when booked in advance and worked well in every respect.

Other matters...
Still putting in distance on the bike. Between work and Life obligations, I managed a 435mi week-before-last, tempered only by some posterior tibial tendonitis, caused when I stepped backward into a hole while taking a photo. I rode the rest of the 200km on the rando bike to get home and found it badly bruised, then did a couple more 200km rides on the Nomad, since it didn't bother on the bike. Though the doctor agreed it wasn't cycling-related, I backed off last week and instead did the exercises he prescribed. They're doing their job and it feels much better now.

I got the first of my Hepatitis A/B Twinrix jabs, and will soon be due for my second of three, conferring ~90+% immunity after a month. I'll complete the series when I return for full immunity. A good idea, as water-borne hepatitis is present in the Calapooya Mountains watershed where I mountain-tour SE of here. Pre-bite rabies vaccines aren't available in the US, nor is the vaccine for tick-borne encephalitis, but I've done everything I can otherwise in terms of making sure my immunizations are up to date. I'm only going to Eastern and Western Europe, but these are worthwhile when touring anywhere and the Hepatitis vaccines fill a gap in my record, so all's good.

Best,

Dan.

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #47 on: April 12, 2014, 07:26:39 PM »
Hi All!

'Nother little update in terms of equipment: The Wal-Mart discount store chain has come up with some useful things in their sporting-good section. One is a little Ortlieblike roll-top bag to keep the phone dry on rainy days, the other is a small backpack with two zippered compartments that secures itself into a lump the size of a tennis ball. Each cost ~USD$8 and seem worthwhile. The backpack would be handy while grocery shopping and ensures my hands remain free, which is nice. It could also be used to separate and store my dirty laundry on the way to washing.

Best,

Dan.

alfie1952

« Reply #48 on: May 02, 2014, 10:06:59 AM »
Hi Dan,

You must be getting excited now that the time is nearly here. One week to go is it?. Is all the prep done now so that you can ease off a bit or are you still putting in miles, and getting kit sorted ? I'm sure that in the next few days a lot of well wishers will be on to give you encouragement and their support, so thought I would get in early. Happy trails, stay safe an keep in touch with us on the forum.

Best Wishes,  Alfie

jags

« Reply #49 on: May 02, 2014, 10:49:26 AM »
yip getting closer Dan  stop buying and take it easy on the bike your as fit as a flea,you'll have plenty of time for big miles when you fly the big aeroplane ;)

jags.

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #50 on: May 02, 2014, 04:35:56 PM »
Hi Alfie and All!

Thanks so much for all your kind words of interest and support. I regret I haven't had time to reply to everyone, but please know your well-wishes are much appreciated and most welcome!

Yes, I am looking forward to all ahead with such great and eager anticipation. This is a tour I've long dreamed of taking -- since high school years -- and there is so much to intrigue and interest me now it is coming true. I am very much looking forward to my time with Andy and his wife, whose kindness and generosity have made this possible. I'm pouring over atlases and glued to Google, absorbing as much as I can about the sights ahead. In truth, it is about all I'm thinking of and my enthusiasm is running at peak levels.

Of course, there's always last-minute things to clear up and resolve before leaving, but all is being made ready for my absence and is going well.

I have all I need to take, largely packed and ready. I've been riding, so should be in good shape to start the tour. My vaccine series is coming along nicely. The money/card situation is solved. Comms are in place and doing well.

All is not Peace and Relaxation here, however, so I'm still going full-tilt: My primary home credit card I use to auto-pay utilities and such to earn travel rewards was compromised this week when thieves installed card-skimming software in an online vendor's server, I've been driving back and forth to the Coast to resolve a labor dispute and cut the grass myself, re-plumbed both bathrooms here to fix a drain problem, removed two trees yesterday that threatened to crack the house foundation and just last evening, one of my primary work computers failed so I'm running on three hours' sleep at the moment to get things transferred and running again. Whew! The list is endless but somehow expected; such things always seem to arise before any departure and make a tour seem relaxing by comparison.

I'll still administer the Forum but won't participate so actively as a member while I tour. I'll surely post the occasional update as comms and circumstances allow and will keep a daily journal, but the full story will come after I return in the form of a website with photos, video, and daily accounts -- I'll spend the bulk of my time on-tour...touring!

So looking forward to the time ahead! Sometimes when touring, it feels like I'm sitting still atop the bike and the world is a movie unreeling beneath my wheels. Right now, the theater lights are dimming and the opening credits are about to roll. Pretty soon, I'll be deep in the plot with plenty of action, some nicely directed scenery, and the romance of Adventure as the story unfolds with me in it, rather than watching from the sticky seats. I can't wait!

All the best,

Dan.

geocycle

« Reply #51 on: May 02, 2014, 07:46:42 PM »
Have a brilliant time. The great thing about touring is that experience is so much longer than the duration of the trip; a feeling I rarely get with other typed of vacation.

bikerta

« Reply #52 on: May 02, 2014, 09:24:35 PM »
Have a fantastic time and enjoy every minute. We will all be looking forward to the photographs and ride report when you return.

jags

« Reply #53 on: May 02, 2014, 09:42:18 PM »
Dan make a Film  documentary of the tour ;).
you know wee armchair geeks like me will never get to do a tour like that.

anto.

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #54 on: May 02, 2014, 09:52:35 PM »
Thanks so much, All!

Yes, Anto, I'll be filming a lot of video, and will interleave that with pan-and-scans of the still photos to make my little documentary to go with the website. At least, that's the plan and all the equipment works well here at home. :D We'll see if that's the case once I'm off and running!

All the best,

Dan.

jags

« Reply #55 on: May 02, 2014, 10:47:56 PM »
sure look forward to that dan ;)

StuntPilot

• Tour on a Bike
« Reply #56 on: May 03, 2014, 05:25:07 PM »
Enjoy the tour Dan! Just read through the post and it sound like a fantastic voyage of discovery round Europe!

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #57 on: May 07, 2014, 06:19:15 PM »
Hi All!

Two more sleeps till departure. Neither Horizon (commuter/regional) nor AlaskaAir (US) will feed me, but AirFrance promises lavish feasts and a buffet. Really! I read it on their website and that's on the Internet, so of course it must be true.  ;)

I'm taking no chances, however. While I had the acrylic paint pen out to label things with my name, I went to work on my new sleep mask/eye shade....

Best,

Dan. (...who you can call anything except "Late for Dinner")

David Simpson

« Reply #58 on: May 07, 2014, 06:30:57 PM »
I love the sleep mask!  But since it is Air France, shouldn't it be written in French, just to be on the safe side?    :)  When it comes to food, you don't want to risk missing out.

Have a great trip.  A lot of us will be imagining ourselves riding with you, so give us updates when you have the chance.

- Dave
« Last Edit: May 07, 2014, 06:32:58 PM by davidjsimpson »

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #59 on: May 07, 2014, 06:32:32 PM »
But shouldn't it be written in French, just to be on the safe side?
Darn!  :-[

Knew I'd overlooked something....  ::)

All the best,

Dan.