Author Topic: Thorn V Spa.  (Read 38319 times)

jags

Re: Thorn V Spa.
« Reply #15 on: February 03, 2014, 05:26:40 pm »
Sure have Dan, to be honest if i sold my guitar today i would order the club tour  now before i change my mind again.
btw i got the job. ;)

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #16 on: February 03, 2014, 05:28:22 pm »
btw i got the job.
Yay!!! ;D ;D ;D

All congratulations, Jags. I know what this means. Wonderful. They're lucky to have you.

All the best,

Dan. (...who is just delighted with this bit of news)

jags

« Reply #17 on: February 03, 2014, 05:32:10 pm »
 ;) Thanks Dan sems like a lovely place to work just got to get my head down until i sus the place out ;)

Paulson

• My Blog
« Reply #18 on: February 03, 2014, 08:32:02 pm »
Interesting thread.  I hope that tomorrow will see the delivery of my new Spa Steel Audax, specced with the Shimano 105 build and leather ti railed Spa saddle.  Having been a very happy owner of a Thorn Audax [see my posts passim] before, I regretted the day I sold it ever since and it was a toss up between another Thorn or the Spa.  I happened to be in North Yorks a couple of weeks ago and so, when I eventually found the Spa HQ [cunningly hidden away!!!] I had time to test one out for size.  They have every size built up as demonstrators, and are happy to let you ride/test/sit on the bike to ensure sizing is correct.

The key thing that swung it for me was the size - I had a 570 frame on the Thorn and it always seemed tantalizingly on the small side for me, whilst being lovely at the same time.  The Spa comes in 58cm and just sitting astride it was a revelation - it felt right straight away.  I don't tour or carry any excess weight so I think this bike seems to be fairly close to the 'old school racer' ethos which is what I want.

I went for the Rigida handbuilt wheels option, as I had a pair of Spa built Rigidas on my Thorn Audax and they were unbreakable.  Oddly, carbon forks are standard and steel are an extra, whereas I seem to remember it being the converse at Thorn?

I will report once I have had a chance to ride the bike, which weather permitting will be later this week, tho' it will probably now snow for the next six weeks just to spite me.  I hope I will still be allowed to post on the Thorn forum!!! :)

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #19 on: February 03, 2014, 08:42:53 pm »
I hope I will still be allowed to post on the Thorn forum!!!
Aw, you're always welcome, Paul; no worries there.

Generally, I try to keep things Thorn-specific 'cos they are kind enough to make this playground possible for all of us and it seems rather unkind to promote directly competing products on their Forum. However, in this case, where you've owned an Audax, you're in a unique position to compare your new bike and it will help jags and others actually decide. If the Thorn has merits that better meet some individual needs, that will come through. It's a bit of a case-by-case, but this seems a good comparo. Looking from afar, the Spa seems a terrific value where price alone is concerned, but I like the greater versatility allowed by the Thorn's design (geometry, the standard steel fork, individual brazed-on bits and the like, as well as the company and its warranty, which can be Very Important). Which to get will depend on the value an individual places on all those variables -- and the ride and actual fit and suitability for purpose, of course.

All congratulations to you on your new ride and best wishes for many happy journeys beneath the wheels. Exciting news, and I hope you won't have to wait too long for a ride.

Dan.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2014, 06:43:49 pm by Danneaux »

Relayer

« Reply #20 on: February 03, 2014, 08:44:45 pm »
Congratulations on getting the job Jags!

And congratulations Paulson on the new bike. :)

jags

« Reply #21 on: February 03, 2014, 08:53:23 pm »
paulson new quality frame and quality hand built wheels  nice set of slicks you cant go wrong very best of luck with  that beauti.sure will be interesting to hear what you find different on the  too bikes Thorn and Spa if any. ;) as i said  earlier its going to take months to mould into a bike  you will either love it of hate it :o

jags

« Reply #22 on: February 03, 2014, 08:57:49 pm »
Congratulations on getting the job Jags!

And congratulations Paulson on the new bike. :)

Thanks Jim i didn't post it on facebook to many people know me and will start asking aquard questions.i was told that i cant discuss the going ons in the centre to respect peoples privacy which i can fully understand.

Paulson

• My Blog
« Reply #23 on: February 04, 2014, 03:24:44 pm »
The Spa Audax has just arrived.  Taking a break from building it up out of the box.

First impressions......wow!

Will post a pic later and impressions.

jags

« Reply #24 on: February 04, 2014, 03:45:21 pm »
lovely cant wait to see pic's and ride report,and will you be carring any panniers on that baby if so whats the  max weight you can carry without frame  breaking under to much weight . ;)

Znook

• Me, Robbie!
« Reply #25 on: February 04, 2014, 04:54:39 pm »
Great stuff - can't wait to see the build pictures and what you think of it, unbiased, of course  ;D
I'm here, there and everywhere.

Slammin Sammy

« Reply #26 on: February 04, 2014, 06:30:34 pm »
Thanks Jim i didn't post it on facebook to many people know me and will start asking aquard questions.i was told that i cant discuss the going ons in the centre to respect peoples privacy which i can fully understand.

I'm intrigued, Anto. But I won't ask. Congrats for that achievement, as well!

Hate to go OT, but I'm tent shopping myself. Which one are you looking at?

Sam

jags

« Reply #27 on: February 04, 2014, 06:56:04 pm »
Cheers Sam,my new job is a caretaker in a cancer centre,i'll be doing mostly maintanance work nothing to tech thank god  ::) i think the work will suit me its only 20 hours a week so no big wages but i'm not to concerned about that,i was told i cannot discusss patients buisness out side the  centre which i can fully understand. ;)

tent hunt well if i had the money i think i would be buying the hilleberg nallo gt2 but its crazy money.i had the akto great one man tent but i hated it like sleeping in a coffin i'll be in one of  them long enough. ;D

i have the mountain hardware spear gt2 very like the nallo but heavier but yeah loads of room in it and comfy inside.have to say though me and tents dont really get on,i'm a restless sleeper so i'm in and out like a blue arse fly all night long i crack up people that tour with me .(for god sake anto settle down)  ::)
i often think how the hell did i ever get into cycle touring and all the gear that goes with it, but when i get on the road set up camp at the end of a hard slog on the bike i realize i love it especally if the weather is good,sure thats what its all about.

honesty

« Reply #28 on: February 04, 2014, 07:44:39 pm »
Have a look at the van go force 10 something something 200+... Can't remember the name. Looks very good and half the price of the hilleberg tents.

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #29 on: February 04, 2014, 07:47:19 pm »
Have a look at the van go force 10 something something 200+
Links here...
http://www.forcetentents.com/
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vango_(company)

Best,

Dan.