Author Topic: Rides 2014 -- add yours  (Read 116735 times)

John Saxby

Re: Rides 2014 -- add yours
« Reply #345 on: October 27, 2014, 10:39:33 PM »
Thanks for your kind words, Andre  :-)

JimK

• Interdependent Science
« Reply #346 on: October 28, 2014, 03:32:33 AM »
a ride around the Catskills

Any time you like! It'd be the finest excuse for a ride!

My big dream these days is to ride from here, through the western Adirondacks, up into your country, then who knows? Up to James Bay? Real adventure is not so far!

John Saxby

« Reply #347 on: October 29, 2014, 12:09:03 AM »
Jim, following your lead -- you're most welcome here! 

On riding to James Bay:  It can be done, but... There's a journal on crazyguy by a fellow in Michigan, Bill St Onge, who rode (in 2013, I think it was) from Michigan south of Sault Ste Marie through Ontario & into W Québec, north to James Bay, east across to the Labrador Highway to the Atlantic Coast, then south and west across the north shore of the St Lawrence, then back up the Ottawa River Valley and eventually to the Soo. His father's family had emigrated from the Gaspé Peninsula in SE Québec to Detroit in the late 19th century, I think it was, so he visited the Gaspé en route home.  The whole trek took about 6 months, as you might guess -- he left home in late spring & returned again in early November, enduring a cold and sometimes snowy ride across central Ontario on the Trans-Canada Highway (Hwy 17 in Ontario).  The TCH is a dangerous and intimidating place for bicycles even in the summer.

JimK

• Interdependent Science
« Reply #348 on: October 29, 2014, 02:19:57 PM »
Yeah I have read a fair amount of Bill St Onge's journal. Very inspiring! It's the Trans-Taiga road that looks most daunting to me!

One of my ideas had been to ride around the Great Lakes. I talked to a guy who lives sometimes in the Catskills and sometimes in upper peninsula Michigan - a really serious rider, a couple time PBP etc. He'd ridden up over the north side of Lake Superior, on that part of the TCH. He said: not worth the trouble!  

John Saxby

« Reply #349 on: October 29, 2014, 03:11:13 PM »
A circuit of most of the Great Lakes would be a good ride indeed, Jim.

Like your acquaintance, I'd recommend skipping north of Superior, unless/until the gummint of Ontario invests in making the TCH safe for cyclists.  (Don't hold your breath: I maintain a correspondence with my local Member of Provincial Parliament on the subject; he agrees that there's work to be done, which is at least a start, if some way short of actual action.) (Though it's better than a reply asking, "Why?")  I did the north-of-Superior ride in the summer of 2013, the homeward leg of my ride across North America & back on my old-but-still-sound BMW airhead. I rode the north shore of Superior partly to check it out for a future cycling tour, partly to revisit a road last travelled more than 40 years earlier.

Wellll, even on a fast, comfortable touring motorcycle I didn't especially enjoy the ride:  the scenery was magnificent, both beautiful and humbling (though I learned that yes, there can be one too many black spruce trees).  But the truck traffic was a constant bother & threat, and the road simply does not have enough, or wide enough, paved shoulders for safe--never mind enjoyable--cycling. People do cycle this route--see some of the threads on crazyguy--but it's not for me.

But, the four other lakes would make for a great circuit.  A friend here in Ottawa who grew up in Thunder Bay (at the lakehead) has done a splendid photo-essay on the lakes and their shorelines. Look for Sweet Seas, by Mark Schacter, published a couple of years ago. ("Les mers douces" was what the French explorers and voyageurs called the lakes before industrialization rendered them rather less so...)
« Last Edit: October 29, 2014, 03:14:47 PM by John Saxby »

JimK

• Interdependent Science
« Reply #350 on: October 30, 2014, 11:09:20 PM »
One of my much tamer projects: http://interdependentscience.blogspot.com/2014/10/adventure.html

Just riding around to a bunch of local farm stands etc. Gets me out riding, though!

John Saxby

« Reply #351 on: October 30, 2014, 11:18:55 PM »
Adventure and discovery can be in your own backyard -- nice route, Jim!

JimK

• Interdependent Science
« Reply #352 on: November 12, 2014, 01:49:21 AM »
The Polar Vortex is on its way, but hasn't quite got here, so I seized the day!

I sure am slow! 53 miles - elapsed time 8.5 hours, riding time 6 hours! I rode to Castle Point in Lake Minnewaska State Park. That's about a 2000 foot climb from the bottom, so it's a bit of an excuse! There is a delightful network of carriage roads through that park and some connected private park land. A few steep parks where rear traction and keeping the front wheel on the ground were dicey.

I feel very lucky to have such beautiful riding just out my door!

album

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #353 on: November 12, 2014, 02:18:52 AM »
Gorgeous, Jim.

The nice thing about touring is a person can choose one's own pace and go as near or far as desired.

There's no bad rides!

All the best,

Dan.

Slammin Sammy

« Reply #354 on: November 12, 2014, 11:04:05 AM »
Great shot, Jim!

Once again, you're stoking my nostalgia for your great and beautiful corner of the world. Well done, and thanks!

jags

« Reply #355 on: November 12, 2014, 11:38:27 AM »
Man that is CLASS like a scene from a movie.
touring bikes were made for terraine like that.

cheers
jags.

geocycle

« Reply #356 on: November 12, 2014, 01:57:24 PM »
Great picture Jim, did you take a dip?

Andre Jute

« Reply #357 on: November 12, 2014, 04:42:56 PM »
Great picture Jim, did you take a dip?

I'm looking forward to seeing the same fabulous shot in the summer, with wood nymphs splashing Jim.

brummie

« Reply #358 on: November 12, 2014, 08:24:54 PM »
Beautiful cycling Jim. Nowt wrong with riding slowly either - you get to see more !

Andre Jute

« Reply #359 on: December 13, 2014, 10:09:34 PM »
I slept away all the daylight hours today, but the sun shone. But I missed nothing. My wife reports that at 10am the footbridge still had ice on the walking surface and on the steel rails. The footbridge crosses a river in the middle of town, so there's quite a bit of heat. That means that the lanes on the exposed hills, where I normally ride, have black on ice on them, and the major roads out of town are even more dangerous because they're all in shade with unmelted ice and drivers even more short-tempered than usual, and more likely to be caught out by overpowered cars and their own incompetence. It's a time for cyclists in the northern hemisphere to be extra-careful.

After looking for one of my own photographs of the footbridge and of course failing to find it on my computer, I resorted to the net and found a photo, only to discover it was -- wait for it -- mine. Here it is, from an article called "Procrastination 101":

More photos at "Procrastination 101"
« Last Edit: December 13, 2014, 10:18:25 PM by Andre Jute »