Author Topic: Rides 2014 -- add yours  (Read 116737 times)

Andre Jute

Re: Rides 2014 -- add yours
« Reply #330 on: October 06, 2014, 10:25:16 AM »
You're facing the wrong way, Jim. The purpose of hills is to speed down them.

What a beatiful road!

Slammin Sammy

« Reply #331 on: October 06, 2014, 10:45:45 AM »
Jim, you've brought me back to one of my favourite parts of the world - upstate NY in full fall foliage. Magnificent. Thanks! (I chuckled when I thought about how sensible you were not to work with Zener diodes on an empty stomach.  ;D ;))

The bike looks great as well. My eye for detail noticed your brass bell - is it a Lion bell, perchance? I love mine - the purity of sound makes it distinctive around here.

BTW - What's the sign say behind the bike (facing the other way)? Surely you didn't bring it with you?  :)

leftpoole

« Reply #332 on: October 06, 2014, 12:24:06 PM »
Near Corfe Castle, Dorset. Look carefully to see how the road comes up!
John

JimK

• Interdependent Science
« Reply #333 on: October 06, 2014, 01:17:21 PM »
That looks like a really brutal hill, John! My new hill yesterday wasn't very difficult. It kept going a good while but it was never very steep. I was certainly down in my #1 gear a lot but it was never a struggle.

That sign in the photo was advertising hot dogs up at the next overlook. Indeed I bought a hot dog from the fellow, and he was nice enough to snap that photo of me that you can see in the album.

The bell on my bike is nothing at all fancy. I think it is anodized aluminum. I got it a long time ago, probably the 1970s but I can't remember precisely. It was in a parts box with other stuff from that era. I think about swapping in a nicer bell, but this one really sounds like a bike bell so that works well. The rail trail coming into New Paltz was really packed, mostly pedestrians but quite a few bikers too. That bell gets used!

jags

« Reply #334 on: October 06, 2014, 03:04:02 PM »
Near Corfe Castle, Dorset. Look carefully to see how the road comes up!
John

looks like a super climb.
silly question but why have you your barbag on the rear. ;)

john tell my whice is your favourate tent, you kinda know what what im after  loads room /light.not to expensive.bombproof.
dont mention hilleberg.

anto great photo btw.

leftpoole

« Reply #335 on: October 06, 2014, 03:47:38 PM »
That looks like a really brutal hill, John! My new hill yesterday wasn't very difficult. It kept going a good while but it was never very steep. I was certainly down in my #1 gear a lot but it was never a struggle.

That sign in the photo was advertising hot dogs up at the next overlook. Indeed I bought a hot dog from the fellow, and he was nice enough to snap that photo of me that you can see in the album.

The bell on my bike is nothing at all fancy. I think it is anodized aluminum. I got it a long time ago, probably the 1970s but I can't remember precisely. It was in a parts box with other stuff from that era. I think about swapping in a nicer bell, but this one really sounds like a bike bell so that works well. The rail trail coming into New Paltz was really packed, mostly pedestrians but quite a few bikers too. That bell gets used!

Yes, it hurt a bit.......I was gasping as I took the photograph, and this was before I had some Hospital test results!
If I had known my health predicament I would not have done that hill.
John

leftpoole

« Reply #336 on: October 06, 2014, 03:51:52 PM »
looks like a super climb.
silly question but why have you your barbag on the rear. ;)

john tell my whice is your favourate tent, you kinda know what what im after  loads room /light.not to expensive.bombproof.
dont mention hilleberg.

anto great photo btw.

Anto
Bar bag at rear was because I did not like the weight on the bars. Tools etc plus food. It also allows a bag to be carried when the panniers are fitted, something which is difficult with a Carradice saddlebag.
Tent? Favourite? Well what a question.Hilleberg!But at a lower cost the Force Ten Nitro Lite 200 takes some beating. It is very light at 1.4 kg and spacious too with room for even a small Irishman.....
All the best,John

jags

« Reply #337 on: October 06, 2014, 06:02:53 PM »
Thanks John i've seen so many tents my head is cabbaged more that ever trying to decide which would be best,im hoping that by next year my healt will be a lot better (back problems)and  maybe get more private work,to think 5 years ago i was flat out working those days are well gone.
anyway love to get over to join bikepacker for this festival should be great as long as the weather is good famous last words.
thanks john  i'll start saving for that tent, need to sell my own.

anto
http://scottishmountaineer.com/vango-nitro-lite-200-tent-review/
« Last Edit: October 06, 2014, 08:07:30 PM by jags »

leftpoole

« Reply #338 on: October 07, 2014, 10:26:21 AM »
Thanks John i've seen so many tents my head is cabbaged more that ever trying to decide which would be best,im hoping that by next year my healt will be a lot better (back problems)and  maybe get more private work,to think 5 years ago i was flat out working those days are well gone.
anyway love to get over to join bikepacker for this festival should be great as long as the weather is good famous last words.
thanks john  i'll start saving for that tent, need to sell my own.

anto
http://scottishmountaineer.com/vango-nitro-lite-200-tent-review/

Anto,
Look at this one.
John

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Force-Ten-Nitro-100-tent-Mountain-marathon-equipment-/311120041271?pt=UK_SportsLeisure_HikingCamping_Tents_JN&hash=item4870331537

John Saxby

« Reply #339 on: October 27, 2014, 02:22:16 AM »
Last Friday, the 24th, was a brilliant sunny late October day, with afternoon temps in the mid-teens. By this time of year, such days are rare jewels, so I decided to take my ti-framed Eclipse ('Shadow', by name) for a canter into the Gatineau hills across the river. Osi, my Raven, was still being tidied up after several airport transitions in our return to Canada, and in any case, I wanted to check adjustment of the rear derailleur of the Eclipse.

My usual ride into the Gatineau takes me to Champlain Lookout, a 3-hour (+/-) there-and-back ride of about 58 kms. The lookout sits atop the Lusk Escarpment, a steep rocky ridge in West Québec running N-S, parallel to the Ottawa River. The scarp is the eastern edge of a fault in the earth’s plates, and the lookout is named for the Champlain Sea, the great inland sea which covered the Great Lakes Basin after the last ice age retreated some 8,000 years ago. (Odd that a French explorer’s name attaches to the sea, since the only folk around in those days were First Nations…) The scarp is only about 300 m high, but on a clear day you have a wonderful view across the farmland below, the big river, and into the rolling hills of the Ottawa Valley on the Ontario side.

My late-October ride came about 2 weeks after the peak of the autumn foliage, so my photos show only an echo of the earlier colours. But then, most of the trees beside the road up to Champlain are deciduous, so the afternoon sun slants through the branches unhindered, and the woods have a wonderful open feel about them. There's a big stopover point for waterfowl on the river just south of the escarpment, so that sometimes, we see and hear the geese flying south on such days; the combined effect can be magical.

There are half-a-dozen photos at the link below, with some brief captions:
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/kccy3dk0iobkoak/AAAcTOeVTYwklMJ8h75s-1r5a?dl=0

Hard to imagine that in less than two months, we’ll probably be skiing along these roads; and then again, in a little more than five months, the cyclists of spring will be rolling over them again.

My three hours on the Eclipse reminded me of the Raven’s virtues. The lighter bike (just under 30 lbs as you see it, sans pannier) is more responsive, as one would expect, and climbs more easily. But, the Raven is soooo much more comfortable. This is partly because my Brooks saddle is thoroughly broken in after three seasons, while my Spa Cycles Nidd on the Eclipse is still quite stiff, with only about 150 kms on it. But other factors are at work as well. The Raven's rando bars (50 cms at the flared ends) are just two cms wider than those on the Eclipse, but feel much more spacious. The bars are also mounted about 15-20 mm higher than the nose of the saddle, rather than on the same plane, so that I am slightly more upright when riding on the hoods; in turn, the drops are more accessible and comfortable, hence used more frequently. Lastly, the Raven runs wider tires at softer pressures (Marathon Supremes, 26 x 1.6, instead of the 700c x 32 Vittoria Randonneur Pro’s.) The Raven’s V-brakes also make braking much easier—it's not that the centre-pull canti’s on the Eclipse are a problem, they simply require more effort, more often. And then there’s the derailleur. I hadn’t ridden the Eclipse for nearly 3 months, and seemed to be forever searching for the right gear – I’m spoiled by the Rohloff, I think, as I find it much easier to maintain a comfortable cadence on the Raven. And, I still have some fiddling to do to get a secure shift into the lowest gears. (Tout ça change… That job can wait ‘til winter.)

Love the ride up to the lookout, and--who knows?--we might have a few more opportunities before the snows come.

John Saxby

« Reply #340 on: October 27, 2014, 02:27:10 AM »
Jim, Andre, Hoodie, what great photos!  Just going back into some of the threads after my two-month exploration of the fleshpots of Europe (!!?? -- well, all right, the cafés and bistros.)  Jim, I've got to organize a ride around the Catskills, to introduce my Raven to your Nomad.   Some serious hills there, for sure.

Cheers, all.

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #341 on: October 27, 2014, 02:27:39 AM »
Lovely photos and weather, John; the Fall leaves are gorgeous in your photos. So glad you had sun and what appear to be clear skies.

Really glad Osi the Raven is working so well for you and you still have Shadow the Eclipse as a fallback option; not much better than that!

All the best,

Dan.

Andre Jute

« Reply #342 on: October 27, 2014, 07:50:23 AM »
Something ineffably Canadian about those photographs, John. I don't quite know what (I'm no botanist!), but one looks at them and one doesn't think "New Hampshire". Super roads, too. I should hope you weren't hooliganing along at 60kph just because it is permitted and you're on your light bike, perish the thought!

Your remarks about becoming accustomed to the Rohloff rings a bell here; I haven't ridden another bike for several years now.

John Saxby

« Reply #343 on: October 27, 2014, 01:20:53 PM »
hooliganing along at 60kph

Thanks, Andre and Dan. The roads in the park to the lookout (there's a federal park in the Gatineau) are pretty quiet on a weekday afternoon, though they can get very crowded during fall weekends. 

I let the Raven roll down the hills at whatever speed it chooses. I don't have a computer to clock the speed, but it's not uncommon that I get passed by a trick plastic bike at the top of the downhill, and find the gap doesn't widen during the descent.

Your observation about the "Canadianness" of the landscape is thoughtful, Andre. New England has more rolling hills-with-deciduous-forest than we do in these parts. The deciduous trees you see are maple, birch, some beech and, on the slopes of the escarpment, scrubby red oak. Except for the red oak, most of the trees are secondary growth -- by the end of the 19th century, the original conifer forest had been pretty much logged off. The northern slopes of the hills are better watered, with less sun, and hence have more conifers (also secondary growth). The entire area has smaller hills than New England, in large part because of the effects of glaciation -- the Champlain Lookout, 10,000-plus years ago, was under a mile of ice. Part of the difference too is that New England is more cultivated -- on the Canadian Shield, there are pockets of land good enough for farming, but nothing extensive. (There used to be a handful of farms along the ridges of the Gatineau hills -- hardscrabble and unrewarding terrain.)  A friend has a place in the Madawaska hills, about 150 kms NW of Ottawa, a homestead settled by the family of his great-grandfather & great-uncle about 1870. The farm comprises about 1300 acres, of which 75 can be cultivated.

The landscape makes for great cycling (and canoeing, snowshoeing, hiking and X-country skiing), with light traffic on the back country roads. Not so many bistros though...

Andre Jute

« Reply #344 on: October 27, 2014, 01:47:29 PM »
Not so many bistros though...

Keeps the baristas from getting uppity.

Will Durant applies a later Roman saying to Aristotle: "Asking the right question is half the solution." Actually, that's nonsense. If you don't know enough to ask the right question, it is far more useful to ask the right person. So the Jute Corollary is, "It dinna matter what you know, as long as you know the main man who knows." I almost wish, John, that I were writing a novel set in Canada so I can put your expertise in it. There's a kind of poetry in listing the trees.