Author Topic: Rides 2014 -- add yours  (Read 116796 times)

FrogPrince

• 60-something and loving it.
    • Cycle Somerset
Re: Rides 2014 -- add yours
« Reply #165 on: May 27, 2014, 04:56:38 PM »
Day 1 of my South Coast Tour. The Dorset and somerset Air ambulance C 2 C charity ride.
Click the link to get all the pictures
http://www.smugmug.com/gallery/41035915_mcwjhT
Sell your Clothes but keep your thoughts.

FrogPrince

• Cycle Somerset
« Reply #166 on: May 27, 2014, 04:59:46 PM »
Day 2 of my South Coast Tour. Burton Bradstock in Dorset to Milford on Sea in Hampshire
Click on the link to get the pictures
http://www.smugmug.com/gallery/41036305_Pqvm9f

FrogPrince

• Cycle Somerset
« Reply #167 on: May 27, 2014, 05:02:22 PM »
Day 3 of my south Coast Tour. Esle of White, Alum Bay and the Needles.
http://www.smugmug.com/gallery/41036529_kvvPkq

FrogPrince

• Cycle Somerset
« Reply #168 on: May 27, 2014, 05:05:20 PM »
Day 4 of my South Coast Tour. Round the Island Ride
http://www.smugmug.com/gallery/41036916_tFbgPd

FrogPrince

• Cycle Somerset
« Reply #169 on: May 27, 2014, 05:10:06 PM »
Day 5 of my South Coast Tour. Start of the return journey.
http://colinandelaine.smugmug.com/Other-4/Day-5-Hampshire-Dorset-and/41037211_3ZnKNv

FrogPrince

• Cycle Somerset
« Reply #170 on: May 27, 2014, 05:14:17 PM »
Day 6of my South Coast Tour. Last Leg.
http://colinandelaine.smugmug.com/Other-4/Day-6-Toomer-Farm-to-home/41037539_J5Pj65

jags

« Reply #171 on: May 27, 2014, 05:56:33 PM »
stunning photos frogprince what a beautifull country thanks for the pics.

jags.

John Saxby

« Reply #172 on: May 27, 2014, 08:41:30 PM »
Great photos, Colin, and what a splendid ride! (The smugmug setup is a good one.) Thanks for the view of Corfe from the North side, Sandbanks, all those places.  You did well in arranging the weather.  :-)

bikerta

« Reply #173 on: May 27, 2014, 08:45:13 PM »
What a great recount of what sounds like a thoroughly enjoyable trip. It was great to see pictures of so many familiar places to me. Your bike also looks a lot like mine, it's just the Rohloff that is different. Glad you had a great time though.

How did the bike ride with all your luggage, especially the front panniers. I am trying to work out whether to buy front panniers or not. I could probably make do without, but it is handy to have a little empty space for shopping when the need arises. I remember from my short trip last year trying desperately to fit my  food for the evening on the bike before I reached the campsite at the end of the day.

jags

« Reply #174 on: May 27, 2014, 08:54:35 PM »
jacki i used2 rear panniers  most of the time just rear ortlieb plus panniers and barbag  the bike handled fantastic,
go as light as you possible can, the cloths is the big issue, get them sorted and the 2 panniers will be fine. 8) please take a camera.

anto

geocycle

« Reply #175 on: May 27, 2014, 09:47:41 PM »
Loving the RST, riding the Bowland fells in Lancashire!

FrogPrince

• Cycle Somerset
« Reply #176 on: May 27, 2014, 09:53:55 PM »
How did the bike ride with all your luggage, especially the front panniers. I am trying to work out whether to buy front panniers or not. I could probably make do without, but it is handy to have a little empty space for shopping when the need arises. I remember from my short trip last year trying desperately to fit my  food for the evening on the bike before I reached the campsite at the end of the day.

I used the front panniers for clothes so they were quite light. It meant they didn't take up too much room in the tent. The bike performs well as long as the front panniers are not too heavy. I had all the heavier stuff, the camping stuff, electronic stuff and food etc in the back. I unpacked and left the empty rear panniers outside on the bike over night. Personal stuff, money etc I carried in the in the bar bag and waterproofs and tools etc in the rack bag. There was enogh room in both of these to carry food etc purchased at the end of the day before setting up camp. Everything stayed dry. The large panniers have roll down tops but you can store the wet tent under the covers on top of these. I had to pack up in a down pour on the last morning. Only the outer tent was really wet as the inner can be taken down and rolled up under the outer tent ....a bit hard on the back and knees though :-)
« Last Edit: May 27, 2014, 09:59:38 PM by FrogPrince »

bikerta

« Reply #177 on: May 27, 2014, 11:20:59 PM »
Anto, not to worry I will definitely be taking a camera. In fact I am going to have to buy a new card for it as I will not have enough space on the one I already have.

I understand about going lightweight. It is sorting what is luxury and what you really can't do without. I really missed my chair last time I toured. I have a thermarest one where you fold up your sleeping pad and use it as a chair and they are really comfy (hard to get out of though). The actual chair is minimal weight, but the problem is I like sleeping on my exped downmat (easier on the hips and shoulders and lovely and warm) but that means I can't use the thermarest chair unless I also take my thermarest sleeping mat (which is what I used to do on the motorbike)  I think that it is more important to get a really good nights sleep though rather than sitting comfortably, but I wish I could have both. I could, but that means carrying an extra kg almost. (mmm, maybe if I lose another 2 pound in weight then I could take both - quickly puts down the snickers bar she was about to eat    ::)) Also like the look of the helinox chair.

bikerta

« Reply #178 on: May 27, 2014, 11:27:02 PM »
Thanks for the information Frogprince. Keeping the front panniers light makes sense. What I don't want to do is take more stuff just because you have the space. On the other hand putting the weight of the front racks and the panniers on just to carry a few things seems a bit silly, but I do feel that spreading the weight out along the bike saves those unplanned 'wheelies' on the steep hills.

FrogPrince

• Cycle Somerset
« Reply #179 on: May 28, 2014, 09:21:05 AM »
I definitely didn't have any wheeliies this trip on the Raven :-)  I have had before on my Giant with just rear panniers :-)