Author Topic: Rides 2014 -- add yours  (Read 116792 times)

jags

Re: Rides 2014 -- add yours
« Reply #180 on: May 28, 2014, 10:55:05 AM »
jackie those helinox are fantastic bikepacker had one with him when he was over with me  pack small super comfy and hes a ig man so obviously strong piece of kit.get one today to hell with the expensive you'll be dead a long time ;)

jags.

FrogPrince

• 60-something and loving it.
    • Cycle Somerset
« Reply #181 on: May 28, 2014, 02:32:32 PM »
I have the REI version bought in the USA. About half the price and not quite so strong but I wouldn't be without it now
Sell your Clothes but keep your thoughts.

Planet X

« Reply #182 on: May 31, 2014, 11:11:48 AM »
Overnighter, Wicklow Gap, Ireland. Last night.

jags

« Reply #183 on: May 31, 2014, 02:28:11 PM »
Great photos Planet X only been up those hills once in a car.. ::)

jags

« Reply #184 on: May 31, 2014, 02:37:48 PM »
i'm not long in from a lovely sunny 40miler around the north east coast (Ireland) plenty of cyclists out this morning such a beautifull day at last.
still having pain in my back and feet when the road rises, so i try my best to pick routes that there's not to many hills,not always easy ::)
still great to get out.

anto.

bikerta

« Reply #185 on: May 31, 2014, 05:57:26 PM »
Great pictures planetx. Looks beautiful. Was it wild camping or a campsite? I have yet to do any wild camping, though it is something I would like to try, just a bit wary about being a solo female on. can't wait until I can get camping with the Sherpa, but I am having to save every penny at the moment, so can't go waltzing off here, there and everywhere. Mind you I will make up for it in the Summer.

Jags, glad you managed to get out and enjoy the good weather. Been dry here, but a bit cloudy and muggy. I completed my first ever metric 100 yesterday. In fact I ended up doing 103km or 64 miles. I think I could have gone a bit further too. No ill effects today from muscles at all, BUT ...   I have my first saddle sore. I thought my sit bones were just feeling a bit bruised to start with, but no. It's mainly just the left side and I am wondering as it seems to match just where there is a 'seam' running along my Brooks B17 saddle. I hadn't really noticed this before. I also have a B17 Flyer (B17 with springs, and that doesn't have the seam running around it)  In fact the Flyer seems to be a better quality leather.

It's not really a seam as such is is just a line that runs all the way around the seat that is slightly raised. I just wondered if this was normal for the B17. I actually prefer the comfort of the men's B17 over the ladies Flyer because it is longer, and on the Flyer I find I am sitting very close to the nose which of course is not too comfortable. However, it is now starting to soften up a little and is showing signs of shaping up to me, which of course the B17 is not. It does seem to be taking a bit longer for the B17 to show any signs of wear as I have done just over 300 miles now and there is no sign at all as of yet. 

jags

« Reply #186 on: May 31, 2014, 06:48:44 PM »
Jacki try dropping the saddle quarter of an inch and forward the same.are you wareing good padded shorts ;)
man i went through saddle sores big time ,but the fizif alanti sorted me out the B17 champion special i had on the sherpa was class.
i got cream  from my doctor  Daktacort w/w cream excellent cleared the sores up in no time.

ah the sherpa is fantastic for all day cycling at least i found that,did you try getting all your gonna need into rear panniers. good barbag like ortlieb will hold loads as well.

jags.

jags

« Reply #187 on: May 31, 2014, 07:02:39 PM »
just watching this jackie you might fine it interesting.. ;)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zVFWZurNAcQ

jags.

bikerta

« Reply #188 on: May 31, 2014, 08:01:54 PM »
Hi Jags,  I will give the adjustments a go, it could just be the body objecting as I have never done that sort of mileage before. I hate messing about with the saddle as you can never seem to get it back to how you want it. As far as cycle shorts are concerned I have a pair of Corrine Dennis padded boxers which I really like, I also have a pair of Ronhill shorts which are not so great and a pair of Pearl Izumi which are ok. I don't like all the ridges in the padding though, which is why I like the Corrine Dennis as they just have flat padding. I do find any of the cycle shorts are comfortable to start with, but once they start 'warming up' I find they start to become uncomfortable. On shorter rides I prefer not to wear any padding and when it was a bit cooler, I wore my Altura winter tights, which were not tight at all and were like fleece lined joggers and I much preferred this set up. I have yet to do a long 'non padded' ride though. I am hoping as the Brooks softens a little it will become much more comfortable. I don't want to have to keep buying saddles at this moment in time. 

I haven't tried loading the panniers yet, but I do already have an Ortlieb handlebar bag in yellow to match the Ortlieb rear panniers. I would also get the same front panniers too. I have the map attachment for the bar bag and have bought a Philips Navigator large scale atlas from which I will tear out the necessary pages and hopefully laminate. I have bought a Garmin E Trex 20 which I am trying to come to grips with. Unfortunately I am no whizz with gadgets and I can't load the Garmin Software as my computer is too old and I need to download new 'Microsoft Net' programmes, whatever that means. I have had a couple of practice runs with it, by loading routes manually and it seems pretty good. I think I will need it most if I have to go through any large towns, though I am hoping to avoid as many of these as possible. Hate the thought of city riding. It's bad enough that I will have to ride from London Waterloo to Euston to catch the sleeper. It's only about 2.5 miles thankfully and I will have studied the maps carefully, but I bet I end up walking some of it.   ;)

At the moment, Sudocreme will have to suffice,   ::)     

jags

« Reply #189 on: May 31, 2014, 08:20:05 PM »
excellent shorts those corrine dennis i have couple pair of the bibs well pleased.
caldesene powder is great as well sprinkle the shorts before you put them on.
ah you'll be fine ,if you can get your cloths sorted out the rear panniers will be plenty ,theres a lot of climbing to do so lighter the better.

jags.

Planet X

« Reply #190 on: May 31, 2014, 09:37:07 PM »
@bikerta. That would be Wild Camping, my preferred option.  ;)

nztony

« Reply #191 on: June 02, 2014, 12:27:37 PM »
Planet X
Is that a couple of cans of coke I see by your tent? If so, I heartily approve!

Addicted!

https://www.flickr.com/photos/nztony/13654998685/

Nice bike and campsite - I didn't notice it was a LHT for a little while. And, you have your own Hollywood sign in Ireland?

Tony
« Last Edit: June 02, 2014, 12:29:10 PM by nztony »

Planet X

« Reply #192 on: June 02, 2014, 03:33:22 PM »
Yes, a brace of full fat Coke, Litre of milk and a mega packet of crisps. That did me for the day really.
Not a campsite but a mountain pass, wild camping.

Passed through a village called Hollywood. Yanks named theirs after ours........obviously! :)

nztony

« Reply #193 on: June 02, 2014, 03:48:12 PM »
Planet X, glad I'm not the only coke drinking cyclist - you wouldn't believe the hassle I get just because I drink it.
I don't drink tea or coffee, so got to get my caffeine somehow I guess.

jags

« Reply #194 on: June 02, 2014, 04:12:04 PM »
can't believe the crisps are not TAYTO ::)