Author Topic: An alternative to music for travel listening  (Read 4233 times)

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
An alternative to music for travel listening
« on: December 16, 2013, 06:45:27 am »
Hi All!

Sometimes, a person grows tired of just listening to music while cycle-camping and it would be nice to have an alternative.

Score!

I just found a trove of CBS Radio Mystery Theater episodes, dating from 1974-1982 in 1399 individual episodes. More about the show here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CBS_Radio_Mystery_Theater

In 1974, I was 14 and my family was in the midst of 6 years deliberately without television. When these started, I was absolutely captivated and caught nearly every episode. When I heard the creaking-door intro and E.G. Marshall's voice, I knew I was in for a treat. My local CBS radio affiliate dropped them after a couple years, and I had no idea there were more episodes.

They're now in the public domain.

These are in tidy 50-show downloads of 500MB or less in MP3 format and run 41-55 minutes in length, so very convenient for transfer to an MP3 player for enjoying while in a tent or working. Audio quality is not the best, but some include commercial advertising that seems quaint and charming when heard today. I'm hoping they are still as good as the Young Me thought. There's other radio archives at the link below, including live performances by Grace Potter and the Nocturnals and a huge collection featuring the Grateful Dead. https://archive.org/details/cbs_radio_mystery_theater

An alternative site allows online streaming or download of individual episodes and includes an episode guide: http://www.cbsrmt.com/

The similar Sears Radio Theater episodes can be downloaded here: https://archive.org/details/OTRR_Sears_Radio_Theater_Singles

Torrents are also available at some of the links above, allowing for much faster mass downloads.

Best,

Dan.

in4

Re: An alternative to music for travel listening
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2013, 08:25:16 am »
In my more cerebral moments I love listening to 'In Our Time' podcasts from the BBC's Melvyn Bragg. Some are quite hard work but most are very accessible; particularly for those  us who emerged quite recently from the primordial swamps.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b006qykl

Not sure if they are available worldwide but I have them all so.... ;)

FrogPrince

• 60-something and loving it.
    • Cycle Somerset
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2013, 10:41:16 am »
Librivox is worth a try if you like audio books

https://librivox.org/
Sell your Clothes but keep your thoughts.

jags

« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2013, 01:34:46 pm »
this is great stuff i'll search through this see if i cant find a good book to listen too when i'm out on me jaunts.

honesty

« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2013, 02:55:35 pm »
Many years ago, when my parents used to drive across to Italy to see family, we would while away the time listening to the BBC radio 4 production of Lord of the Rings. All 20 odd episodes at an hour a piece pretty much saw us they whole way there, with the added advantage nowadays of not having any of the added Peter Jackson guff the films have...  Elves in helms deep, sacrilege ;)
« Last Edit: December 16, 2013, 03:02:05 pm by honesty »

jags

« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2013, 03:06:10 pm »

Matt2matt2002

« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2013, 04:33:14 pm »
I have just discovered podcasts. Yes I know, I'm a dinosaeur.
Some good history program's out there.
Try
Dan Carlin's hardcore history. The guy is amazing.
Matt
Never drink and drive. You may hit a bump  and spill your drink

FrogPrince

• Cycle Somerset
« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2013, 04:40:59 pm »
this is great stuff i'll search through this see if i cant find a good book to listen too when i'm out on me jaunts.

Jags you might like the 'Ragged Trousered Philanthropists' by Robert Tressel...... well read by an Irish reader.

https://librivox.org/the-ragged-trousered-philanthropists-by-robert-tressell/

jags

« Reply #8 on: December 16, 2013, 04:44:08 pm »
would you believe i read that book 30 years ago it was reguarded as the painters bible.
i will pop over there now and have a listen although grandkids are here  so might save it for later.
excellent thanks. ;)

jags

« Reply #9 on: December 16, 2013, 04:57:01 pm »
I'm totally useless at reading books no consentration  ::)
but love the audio books my son put  huckleberry finn on my ipod few years back, it was  brilliant, ;D
i would often listen to it on my spins around the lanes of louth my home county laughing out loud at his antics, if anyone seen me they would think i was mental  ;D ;Dl i am but dont tell anyone. ;) ;)

Matt2matt2002

« Reply #10 on: December 16, 2013, 05:39:51 pm »
I'm totally useless at reading books no consentration  ::)
but love the audio books my son put  huckleberry finn on my ipod few years back, it was  brilliant, ;D
i would often listen to it on my spins around the lanes of louth my home county laughing out loud at his antics, if anyone seen me they would think i was mental  ;D ;Dl i am but dont tell anyone. ;) ;)

Just saw this and reminded me of a piece I read this morning in a book on whiskey / whisky.

As Mark Twain arrived at customs he was asked what he had in his suitcase.
" Just my clothes " he replied.

The customs officer rummaged around and produced from the suitcase a bottle of whisky.
" What's this then?"

Mr. Twain replied, " What you are holding there, Sir, is my night-cap."

Matt, who wishes he had half of Mr. Twins wit.

jags

« Reply #11 on: December 16, 2013, 06:11:58 pm »
 ;D ;D ;Dbrilliant.

FrogPrince

• Cycle Somerset
« Reply #12 on: December 16, 2013, 06:14:00 pm »
Another possible audio book classic by H G Wells

The Wheels of Chance

H. G. WELLS (1866 - 1946)

The Wheels of Chance - A Bicycling Idyll follows the adventures of a Drapers Assistant who, having brought an ancient bicycle, sets off on a 2 week tour of the countryside. And his world will never be the same again.

https://librivox.org/the-wheels-of-chance-by-h-g-wells/

One of my favourite books of all time is 'The history of Mr Polly' by H G Wells. The Wheels of chance was written earlier ....... it would be amasing if it turns out to be another life long favourite for me .....and it's about bicycles  :)

Matt2matt2002

« Reply #13 on: December 16, 2013, 06:23:59 pm »
;D ;D ;Dbrilliant.

If you like that one Jags......

WC Fields said you should always carry a keg of whisky with you on your travels in case of snake bite.
And also a small snake.

What a guy!

Matt

jags

« Reply #14 on: December 16, 2013, 06:34:58 pm »
 ;D ;D.where do you dig these yarns up matt. ;D