Author Topic: Do you cycle to work most days of the week and whatever the weather? (Survey)  (Read 4415 times)

cami

Hi fellow cyclists,

If you cycle to work most days of the week and whatever the weather then your opinion matters a lot to me!

I am a cyclist/ entrepreneur with an idea of an innovative sportswear that will improve the journey of commuter cyclists on rainy days. Apologies for not unveiling any features of the product in this thread, I would like first to take the time to research on the trends/ habits of commuters.

In order to do so, I have published a survey on Quicksurvey that you can find here: https://www.quicksurveys.com/s/e5Q3K

Thanks a lot for your help, any questions, suggestions are welcome.

Cami

jags

that survey is to personal what my age and income has to do with cycling is beyond me.
exactly what is it thats going to make me want to jump on my bike when its raining or blowing a storm. ::)

NZPeterG

• It's Great to Be Alive! Again! Go Cycle. . . . . .
    • Kiwi Pete's Cycling Safari
I have no time for a Survey!
But Cycle to work every day (walk about 3 days a year to work)
I have not car and only cycle or Walk!
It's more then cycling to work, its which bike to use to cycle to work!

Pete...  :o

The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common[

http://kiwipetesadventures.tumblr.com/

http://kiwipetescyclingsafari.blogspot.co.nz/

Looked after by Chris @ http://www.puresports.co.nz/
For all your Rohloff and Thorn Bicycle's in NZ

cami

that survey is to personal what my age and income has to do with cycling is beyond me.
exactly what is it thats going to make me want to jump on my bike when its raining or blowing a storm. ::)

Hi Jags, the questions about age and income are just basic demographic questions just like gender. It might not seem relevant at first but this will be used to segment the target audience or produce statistics by demographics.

jags

ah cami i'm a very gullable fella ya know ::)
at least give us some clue what this new idea is.

phopwood

I did the survey just for fun.  I am wondering how many under 13s cycle to work in the UK.

I do commute to the office.  But I only go to the office a few days a week and I stay over 2 nights when I do.  So my commute is cycle to the station from the village, train to London Euston, cycle to the office about 3 miles, after work cycle to Wembley about 6 miles where the hotel is repeat until i go home.  Along with my laptop and clothes.

All on my little brompton so my  brompton does more miles than my thorn.

All the best.

Peter.

Matt2matt2002

I cycle to work whenever I can.
When I have completed the survey for you, to whom do I send my invoice?
Matt
Never drink and drive. You may hit a bump  and spill your drink

doug

• The Cycle Hub
I also did the survey.  

I wanted to add I'm more of a commuter in the spring, summer and autumn.  As my commute is 22 miles each way and through country lanes, I'm not overly keen during the dark winter evenings - though I probably ought to.  Occasionally I see one or two cyclists on those lanes.

Hope that helps.
http://thecyclehub.net - The life long joy of cycling

cami

Thanks all for your responses so far. This is really appreciated!

RobertL

Strictly fair weather. I started last year all weather but a few sharp blizzards cured me. On a Thorn RST with Alfine 8. Have a 20 mile one way commute and the alternative is to go by car. Estimate around 4000 miles on a bike so around 2 days a week, although in summer will go to 4 days/week.

other than helmet, gloves and bike jacket, I am wearing work clothes and shoes.

Interesting range of speeds - best has been 65 minutes one way - estimate average is 16 mph which compares quite well with the car.

One puncture no other defects and still on original conti contac sport tyres.

One semi drove me off the road, other than that drivers on the whole quite respectful. My riding becomes more defensive over time.

Conceivably could now reduce the Alfine 8 to just gears 4 6 and 8.

Etienne

Every day since 8 years - This is more than a joy !   - a real need - :P

But too rarelly in you marvellous country !   Kr,

Neil Jones

Yes every day, 18.5 mile round trip on my RST come rain or shine, or as it was today storm force winds. I wouldn't change it for the world though.
Neil

doug

• The Cycle Hub
Neil, I know exactly what you mean! 

The other day I was cycling and realised I was being over-taken by lots of upmarket executive cars driven by people who were looking so unhappy, in bad shape and unfit. 

I wouldn't swap for all the tea in China.
http://thecyclehub.net - The life long joy of cycling

Barry Webber

• On my green electric machine!
The only time I don't cycle is due to mechanical breakdown.
Since October 2010 I am now 3 miles short of 17,000 miles mostly made up of my 26 mile commuting round trip.
It works out about 130 miles a week which adds up to a big petrol saving.
Last January I featured on the works website after making it in by bike during the snow blizzard!
My bike does have electric assist though which makes a world of difference particularly in strong winds.
My trip in and home are the highlights of my day I really enjoy the freedom and not being in the automotive rat race.

Best wishes to all for the new year.

Barry.
22,000 miles of Ebike commuting and loving it!
Keep cycling! :-)

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
Oh! It is so good to hear from the cycle-commuters in this thread! Commuters often seem like the unsung heroes of cycling, battling all-weather conditions every weekday and sometimes more, unheralded 'cos the runs are shorter or between home and work.

I commuted by bicycle for many years before working at home, and I soon grew to treasure those times Away. I valued it as much for the stress relief as for the exercise and saw so much I would have missed by car -- the little pockets of cold or warm air, the smell of the breezes, seeing the little wild animals along the way, actually *feeling* the sun, rain, wind, or snow.

Speaking frankly, I miss it. Commuting was a perfect opportunity to tack on extra distance from "the other end" and so take impromptu day-tours after work/uni. Except for the "no camping" part, it really isn't so different from the day-ride part of touring, and hauling a commuting load is good training, keeping one in shape for longer travel.

Lots to be said for it, and a laudable pursuit in so, so many ways.

All the best,

Dan.