Author Topic: Do you cycle to work most days of the week and whatever the weather? (Survey)  (Read 4414 times)

John Saxby

on my RST come rain or shine, or as it was today storm force winds

Great stuff, guys.  I used to cycle to & from work about 15 years ago--an enjoyable 20 km round trip along the Ottawa River--but only between mid-March and late November.  That was the last time I had something like a regular job.  Since then, I've worked from home as a consultant, both in Canada & South Africa, so my morning trek is usually about 10 steps from the kitchen to my office, coffee in hand.  Pretty wimpy by comparison with Real Cyclists knifing through the rain & gales...  Press on regardless!   

Chris M

The morning commute is the best part of the day for me, 4.30am sees me heading east on the Regents Canal which I usually have to myself at that time of day. It's easy to forget you're in the middle of London. Every morning I'm guaranteed to see a few foxes and a couple of months ago was regularly seeing 2 cubs  playing on the towpath. Parts of it have no lights at all so I rely on a high powered front light; they really pick out the foxes eyes from a distance. It's funny how you really get to know every part of the ride after doing it for a while; I know the exact spot where the temperature usually drops a couple of degrees as I approach Victoria Park.
The return journey is on the dreaded CS2 though as the towpath is just too busy with bike commuters heading in the opposite direction.

Neil Jones

I work 12 hours shifts which leave little time for much else apart from eating and sleeping so the commute to work by bike for me is a no-brainer. I get to work feeling refreshed, I return home physically tired (not mentally), good thinking time, it's a great cardiovascular workout, I get fresh air, I see nature close up, feel the seasons change and best of all I save petrol money so I can buy myself another bike.  ;D
Neil

sdg_77

• Hadrian's Wall and a Half
last time I had something like a regular job.  Since then, I've worked from home as a consultant, ... about 10 steps from the kitchen to my office, coffee in hand

Similar story for me,  I miss my morning trundle through leafy Warwick,  though if I can land a contract somewhere a train ride away I'll have the excuse to buy a Brompton ;-)

sdg.

John Saxby

Friends in Amsterdam ride Bromptons--brilliant machines.  My friend David rode with me on his Brompton from Amsterdam to Cologne in Sept 2012 -- photo attached of his bike in touring mode.  --  J.

ankaradan

Many years ago, I used to cycle to work everyday, from West Yorkshire into Oldham, in all weathers. I did this for about six years, until a job change meant I was no longer close enough to commute. Nowadays I'm strictly a fairweather cyclist, but then here we often go weeks without seeing a cloud.

nigelsbicyclejourneys.com

• Born To Cycle
    • nigelsbicyclejourneys.com
I'm not commuting presently, but a few years ago though, this was my bicycle commute  :)

http://nigelsbicyclejourneys.com/2012/03/15/the-commute-3/

Nigel